Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Former Hog Great Would You Add to This Year's Team?

Started by threeNout, January 02, 2018, 06:17:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

What if you could add one former Hog, in their prime, to this year's team?

I'd be tempted to add Joe Kleine,  but I think Oliver Miller would be perfect.

Can you imagine trying to get a shot off in the paint with Big O and Gafford in the game?

Corliss and Gafford as a front court would be pretty awesome too, but I'm sticking with big O.

who ya got?

The_Iceman

Look at our Power Forwards. Corliss....no doubt. Him and Gafford would be hard to stop.

JayHog

Corliss... with our 3 senior guard backcourt and a potential 1st round NBA pick at center. We would be nasty with Big Nasty.

gmarv54

davril98

The_Iceman

Honestly, Portis wouldn't be too far down my list either. Two 6'11" big men with their assortment of athleticism and skill would be fun to watch. Bobby would get to play his natural PF position.

3of5-2

Put Alvin Robertson in the backcourt with Macon and Barford, and they would beat a lot of teams with just 3 on 5.

popcornhog

Quote from: threeNout on January 02, 2018, 06:17:06 am
What if you could add one former Hog, in their prime, to this year's team?

I'd be tempted to add Joe Kleine,  but I think Oliver Miller would be perfect.

Can you imagine trying to get a shot off in the paint with Big O and Gafford in the game?

Corliss and Gafford as a front court would be pretty awesome too, but I'm sticking with big O.

who ya got?

Tough question. I guess Corliss is the obvious answer due to talent level at each position, but Todd Day or Lee Mayberry would fit this team's DNA.

WPS

incHOGnito

FineAsSwine

He might not be a Hog great but I would love to have Robert Shepard for his defense and 3 point shooting but I think Derek Hood or Nicky Davis for rebounding would be great as well. However, the most obvious need is for someone to help Gafford down low and I would opt for the Big O.
Hogs up! Covid down!

devildog

Darrell Walker, to terrorize the baseline. Really hoping that Bailey can find a little of that game, maybe watch some old film of Walker.

razorback1829

I'm going to go recent and take BP. Stretch 4 that can space the floor, get rebounds out of his area with Gafford... would possibly not lose a game.

redleg

Corliss for sure. He might have only been 6'7", but he played like 6'11"! A second addition, for me, would be a wing that had the ability to shoot the 3 and drive the lane, as well as be a huge factor on defense...Lenzie Howell!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

ThundrHawg

Corey Beck. He would will this team to a final four. One of the greatest leaders we've had on a bball team.

LRHawg

BrooklynRoss

Cannon Whitby. Bring him back out of retirement. He's got to have one more year of eligibility.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

welchog

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

The_Iceman

Quote from: incHOGnito on January 02, 2018, 09:11:04 am
How about Joe Johnson at the 3?

Some may call me crazy, but with Macon and Barford, I'd rather have Ronnie Brewer at the 3. His passing and defense would compliment those two well.

Kevin McPherson

Corliss teaming with Gafford seems like the most logical answer, and don't get me wrong they'd be great, but I think I like the Portis and Gafford combo just as much because of the way the game is played now. Either choice means Hogs are likely 13-0 right now. Could you imagine Luke Maye trying to match-up with Big Nasty inside, or being better than Portis in a head-to-head matchup inside-and-out as stretch-4s?

Beaverfever

I'd pick a tall athletic guard who could shoot.  Sonny Weems would be a very nice addition to this team.

Hogimus Prime

When you add a player he needs to compliment what is already on the roster.  This team lacks a 3/swingman and a another big.  At the 3 Joe Johnson, Todd Day and Scotty Thurman sound good but I don't think JJ or Day would mix well with the guards on the roster. Scotty might, but as mentioned earlier Ronnie Brewer Jr would be the perfect one to go with Barford and Macon.

As for another big. I'd go with Portis or Tank Robinson.  Both are tall athletic can play close to the basket and away from the basket.  Portis would get the edge, now if Tank would've played up to some of his potential he'd be one of the best Razorbacks ever.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawg66

The correct answer is always Super Sid. His last year at Arkansas without Brewer and Delph he had Arkansas on the verge of a Final Four. Only a fluke tip in by some guy we've never heard of since got Bird there instead. If Moncrief could do that with the limited talent on that team he would certainly make this team a serious threat to win it all. Anyone who has never seen him play wouldn't really understand.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hawg66 on January 02, 2018, 01:17:32 pm
The correct answer is always Super Sid. His last year at Arkansas without Brewer and Delph he had Arkansas on the verge of a Final Four. Only a fluke tip in by some guy we've never heard of since got Bird there instead. If Moncrief could do that with the limited talent on that team he would certainly make this team a serious threat to win it all. Anyone who has never seen him play wouldn't really understand.

No doubt Sid could play on this team and make it elite. He is one of the best 6-4 rebounders ever to play the game, the best all-around defender to ever play at Arkansas and arguably the best 6-foot-4-and-under defender to ever play the game, and he was a complementary scorer (meaning, he could go get you 20 any night he wanted but was efficient and did not need to dominate the ball to get his).

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

niels_boar

One player - Sir Sid.  In one package he would solve the shortage in guard rotation and provide post scoring, elite drive-and-dish capability, elite rebounding, and elite defense at four positions in today's game.  He could average double figures with FTs alone with today's rules.  Plus, if you can add Moncrief to your team, you friggin' add Moncrief to your team. 

Some less obvious choices than the likes of Corliss and Moncrief that would complement the current roster are Coty Clarke and Kareem Reid.  Clarke was a high percentage arc shooter that rebounded and was a good all-court defender.  He wouldn't get in Gafford's way on the block and would provide spacing.  Reid, as the extra guard, would break down the tight man defense that gives us some problems at times and could hound the other team's primary ball handler, no matter how quick they may be.  It's a shame that he played with such limited offensive talent around him.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on January 02, 2018, 01:44:23 pm
One player - Sir Sid.  In one package he would solve the shortage in guard rotation and provide post scoring, elite drive-and-dish capability, elite rebounding, and elite defense at four positions in today's game.  He could average double figures with FTs alone in today's rules.  Plus, if you can add Moncrief to your team, you friggin' add Moncrief to your team. 

Some less obvious choices than the likes of Corliss and Moncrief that would complement the current roster are Coty Clarke and Kareem Reid.  Clarke was a high percentage arc shooter that rebounded and was a good all-court defender.  He wouldn't get in Gafford's way on the block and would provide spacing.  Reid, as the extra guard, would break down the tight man defense that gives us some problems at times and could hound the other team's primary ball handler, no matter how quick they may be.  It's a shame that he played with such limited offensive talent around him.

Coty Clarke would be niiiiice on this team ... Coty just had a nose for tracking down and winning 50/50 ball situations, was tough and athletic around the basket, was a good open-court player, and like you said he could step out and knock down a 3.

I'll add that Alandise Harris would also be an upgrade at the combo-4 spot for this team. Not quite as versatile as Coty, but was probably the best low-block defender in his 2 years that CMA has had at Arkansas.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: niels_boar on January 02, 2018, 01:44:23 pm
One player - Sir Sid.  In one package he would solve the shortage in guard rotation and provide post scoring, elite drive-and-dish capability, elite rebounding, and elite defense at four positions in today's game.  He could average double figures with FTs alone with today's rules.  Plus, if you can add Moncrief to your team, you friggin' add Moncrief to your team. 

Oh yea, Cory Clarke on this team would be really good.  I wonder if he's still playing. 

The real answer though has got to be Michael Sanchez.

labb

RedBird5

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on January 02, 2018, 10:09:22 am
Cannon Whitby. Bring him back out of retirement. He's got to have one more year of eligibility.

Yes!

East TN HAWG

Wow a lot of good options.  It's hard to choose between, Corliss, Super Sid, Joe Johnson, and Bobby Portis.  Truth is probably any of those 4 would put us over the top. 

Looking at this teams make up: Gafford, Macon, Barford, Beard, Thompson, so I would probably choose Johnson.  I would play him out of position at the 4 spot.  We could use a big that could come outside and score.

I believe Corliss and Sidney are the two best of all time, but Gafford is strong around the rim, and Macon/Barford are strong guards offensively and Beard is stronger defensively.  We need a big that can stretch the floor, and that was not Corliss' game.  Johnson is just a little better then Bobby at stretching the floor.   

MAGA45

Ray Biggers, need someone to give a solid 10-12 minutes a game, glue guy.
Fake News

hawg66

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on January 02, 2018, 01:39:46 pm
No doubt Sid could play on this team and make it elite. He is one of the best 6-4 rebounders ever to play the game, the best all-around defender to ever play at Arkansas and arguably the best 6-foot-4-and-under defender to ever play the game, and he was a complementary scorer (meaning, he could go get you 20 any night he wanted but was efficient and did not need to dominate the ball to get his).

Exactly. Moncrief would average more rebounds than Gafford, score as many points as Barford and be the lock down defender to shut down the other teams big gun when needed. I still remember the defense he put on Bird in the second half of the Indiana State game. Plus his leadership and drive was off the charts.

PORKULATOR

Just to be different, I'm saying Joe Johnson.
If you'd give me a PG to boot, I'd add Genero Pargo. We never knew HOW GOOD HE WAS.

CORLISS is the obvious.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

bphi11ips

Haven't watched this team enough to know whether Gafford is a true center or power forward. He seems to be best facing the basket.  Corliss was best with his back to the basket. He was too strong and quick for college players to defend his drop step. He had to develop a baseline jumper as a pro because there he was a small forward.

Someone said they would add a player to complement this roster. Gafford strikes me as a quicker, more intense Darnell Robinson.  Not as big, but he doesn't roam the perimeter looking for a baseline 3 the way Robinson did, either. Corliss with his back to the basket in the low post and Gafford at PF would be tough to defend. Then what do you do about Barford and Macon?

The one player this team really seems to lack is a small forward. Moncrief is a no-brainer there. Another player no one has mentioned is Lenzie Howell. He averaged 15 ppg and 6 rbs for Nolan's teams in the late-80's and would really help this team. Michael Qualls wouldn't be bad, either. Joe Johnson and Ronnie Brewer?  Any of those guys would make this team a Final Four contender.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

alohawg

Lenzie Howell Yes and of course Sidney. Don't know what I was thinking earlier other than help in the paint with Corliss.
Moncrief is the GOAT @ Ark.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Tejano Jawg

How can you pick one great Hog? You could say our history is richest in great guards, but that's not really what this team needs (although a true point, like Beck or Mayberry, would be nice.)

I'm inclined to go with an enforcer, someone who can get boards. Kleine, Corliss of course, Sidney could do that too. Kinda lean toward Corliss, but who wouldn't take Sid if they had the chance?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

hoginla

Quote from: ThundrHawg on January 02, 2018, 09:43:51 am
Corey Beck. He would will this team to a final four. One of the greatest leaders we've had on a bball team.

my thoughts exactly.
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

LivingLegends

Based on need I'd say Corliss.  A player of the year caliber player at our weakest position would be pretty sic.  Never seen Moncrief play but if he could play a 4 I'd take him too.

texhog

cjack

Might not be the best former Hog, but that coach beside MA hit one of the biggest shots in our history.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

BannerMountainMan

A Marshawn Powell would help tons! Big 4 that could shoot
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

netteltonhog

Lee Mayberry...A True point guard that would free up Macon to play his more natural 2 spot...

LivingLegends

Quote from: cjack on January 02, 2018, 05:11:04 pm
Might not be the best former Hog, but that coach beside MA hit one of the biggest shots in our history.
I agree with that.  A swingman has a place on this squad.

My number one choice
1 Macon
2 Beard
3 Barford
4 Corliss
5 Gafford

2nd Choice
1 Macon
2 Beard
3 Barford
4 Sidney
5 Gafford

3rd Choice
1 Macon
2 Barford
3 Thurman
4 Thomas
5 Gafford

JHicks3636

I wouldn't mind seeing Oliver Miller punishing some people inside. Corliss could play on any team I had.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 02, 2018, 08:49:40 am
Put Alvin Robertson in the backcourt with Macon and Barford, and they would beat a lot of teams with just 3 on 5.
1st name i came up with, then Sid, and then big nasty. Alvin in baseball parlance would be a 5 tool prospect, did everything well.

SquidBilly

No doubt would be Al Dillard.  Talk about the ability to stretch a defense.  Barford and Macon would have a lot more room to operate because Al would keep his man 30 feet from the basket.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22