Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Astros blew it.................

Started by hoglady, October 12, 2015, 04:28:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

Dang - had a 4 run lead (6-2) going into the 8th and lost the game 9-6.
Sick over that game. Bad relief pitching and a crucial error by the shortstop.
Be hard for this young team to overcome what just happened and go back to KC and win.
Was really hoping to see DK pitch some more this year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DukeOfPork

Keuchel will pitch out of the bullpen in Game 5 if they need him.  I would be shocked if they get in a jam and don't use him.

The Royals' bats have been quiet the entire series.  They were long overdue for a breakout like that.

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 12, 2015, 05:13:48 pm
Keuchel will pitch out of the bullpen in Game 5 if they need him.  I would be shocked if they get in a jam and don't use him.

The Royals' bats have been quiet the entire series.  They were long overdue for a breakout like that.

It'll be interesting to see how these guys handle that tough loss.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

I can't believe folks aren't watching these playoffs - or at least few people are posting about it.

clutch

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2015, 06:23:34 pm
I can't believe folks aren't watching these playoffs - or at least few people are posting about it.

I think this game would have had a lot more talk had it not been a day game.

clutch

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2015, 06:20:24 pm
It'll be interesting to see how these guys handle that tough loss.

I think they are one of those young teams that can shake things off pretty easily.

dacskc

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 12, 2015, 05:13:48 pm

Keuchel is great coming out of the bullpen on short rest! Just ask UVA :)

hoglady

Quote from: dacskc on October 12, 2015, 09:35:40 pm
Keuchel is great coming out of the bullpen on short rest! Just ask UVA :)

Man, his pitch count was high yesterday - 124 pitches.
But he pitched well in the wild card game on 3 days rest.

DukeOfPork

I'm a huge Royals fan.  I was thinking about going to Game 5, but I have too much work to do.

I can tell you that the Royals have a tendency to dump too many runs into a game and come back the next day and the bats will be silent.  They had a hell of a season, but the whole team has been slumping the last 6 weeks or so.  They have been sleepwalking into the playoffs.

If they wake up, they could lay waste to Houston on Wednesday.  But there's no guarantee of that...and who knows which Cueto will be taking the mound?

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 13, 2015, 12:10:45 am
I'm a huge Royals fan.  I was thinking about going to Game 5, but I have too much work to do.

I can tell you that the Royals have a tendency to dump too many runs into a game and come back the next day and the bats will be silent.  They had a hell of a season, but the whole team has been slumping the last 6 weeks or so.  They have been sleepwalking into the playoffs.

If they wake up, they could lay waste to Houston on Wednesday.  But there's no guarantee of that...and who knows which Cueto will be taking the mound?

Astros kind of backed into the playoffs and were lucky to make the wild card.
I just like watching these young kids on the Astros - they get so pumped up it's contagious.
Used to go see them in the Astrodome when I was a kid. They were the closet MLB to North Louisiana at the time - so they've always been a favorite of mine.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2015, 12:38:22 am
Astros kind of backed into the playoffs and were lucky to make the wild card.
I just like watching these young kids on the Astros - they get so pumped up it's contagious.
Used to go see them in the Astrodome when I was a kid. They were the closet MLB to North Louisiana at the time - so they've always been a favorite of mine.

That describes the 2014 Royals.  And really, this year as well.  They get excited and they have fun.  Stoic traditionalists have taken offense to that earlier this season, but those people are exactly what is wrong with baseball.

Just like Royals fans, Astros fans deserve some success.  We've all put up with a lot of crap.

I grew up going to Royals games in the late 70s and 80s.  Even though it took 3 hours to get to KC, I've probably been to 70 games or so.  But 29 years without even making the playoffs is completely unfair, so I'm enjoying watching them now.

Kauffman Stadium is going to be electric tomorrow night.

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 13, 2015, 08:39:22 am
That describes the 2014 Royals.  And really, this year as well.  They get excited and they have fun.  Stoic traditionalists have taken offense to that earlier this season, but those people are exactly what is wrong with baseball.

Just like Royals fans, Astros fans deserve some success.  We've all put up with a lot of crap.

I grew up going to Royals games in the late 70s and 80s.  Even though it took 3 hours to get to KC, I've probably been to 70 games or so.  But 29 years without even making the playoffs is completely unfair, so I'm enjoying watching them now.

Kauffman Stadium is going to be electric tomorrow night.

Yes it will be.
I'm used to rooting for baseball teams that break your heart.
Born and bred Red Sox fan above all other teams. Spent lots of summers in Boston with my Dad's family going to Fenway watching Yaz, Conigliaro and the like. Now those Red Sox teams up until 2004 could truly rip your heart out. "Impossible Dream season of 1967 was ruined by the Cardinals". Still remember it and have never been able to root for the Cardinals since then.
Don't you just love baseball?
Hard to find people anymore who truly appreciate the game.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2015, 09:16:56 am

"Impossible Dream season of 1967 was ruined by the Cardinals". Still remember it and have never been able to root for the Cardinals since then.

Eh, you had '04 & '13 vs the Cards to help ease the pain.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2015, 09:16:56 am
Yes it will be.
I'm used to rooting for baseball teams that break your heart.
Born and bred Red Sox fan above all other teams. Spent lots of summers in Boston with my Dad's family going to Fenway watching Yaz, Conigliaro and the like. Now those Red Sox teams up until 2004 could truly rip your heart out. "Impossible Dream season of 1967 was ruined by the Cardinals". Still remember it and have never been able to root for the Cardinals since then.
Don't you just love baseball?
Hard to find people anymore who truly appreciate the game.

I took a long sabbatical from baseball. 

For 29 years, the Royals weren't even coming close to competing.  They were always a scrappy organization that punched above their weight class for the entire time that I was growing up.  They were fun to root for.

Then Ewing Kauffman died and left a huge vacuum in ownership/leadership.  Eventually, David Glass bought the team and has focused on making tidy profits and didn't care about trying to win.  The only way to cope with that is to become apathetic.  But this team we have now reminds me of the 70s and 80s Royals: scrappy and refusing to lose.  And they have a lot of fun doing it.

It's taken me back to the good ole days and reminded me what I loved about the game.

hoglady

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 13, 2015, 09:57:03 am
Eh, you had '04 & '13 vs the Cards to help ease the pain.

When you're a kid it's just different - I was crushed.

Was lucky enough to go to one of the WS games in St Louis in '13.
I appreciate the Cardinals franchise - one of if not the premiere franchise in baseball. Cardinals fans are great fans, treat the opposing teams fans right. Sox lost the game I went to but it was great a experience.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hoglady on October 12, 2015, 04:28:03 pm
Dang - had a 4 run lead (6-2) going into the 8th and lost the game 9-6.
Sick over that game. Bad relief pitching and a crucial error by the shortstop.
Be hard for this young team to overcome what just happened and go back to KC and win.
Was really hoping to see DK pitch some more this year.

When it comes to elimination games all hands are on deck. For if you lose........there is no tomorrow!
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 13, 2015, 10:36:36 am
I took a long sabbatical from baseball. 

For 29 years, the Royals weren't even coming close to competing.  They were always a scrappy organization that punched above their weight class for the entire time that I was growing up.  They were fun to root for.

Then Ewing Kauffman died and left a huge vacuum in ownership/leadership.  Eventually, David Glass bought the team and has focused on making tidy profits and didn't care about trying to win.  The only way to cope with that is to become apathetic.  But this team we have now reminds me of the 70s and 80s Royals: scrappy and refusing to lose.  And they have a lot of fun doing it.

It's taken me back to the good ole days and reminded me what I loved about the game.

This Astros vs. Royals series has been a great series to watch for sure.

hoglady

What a great story.
Thanks for posting.
Still trying to get over the Astros and Rangers both losing.
Figured it would happen - but still not happy about it.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hoglady on October 15, 2015, 11:09:52 am
What a great story.
Thanks for posting.
Still trying to get over the Astros and Rangers both losing.
Figured it would happen - but still not happy about it.

Yeah, but this isn't the end for the Astros.  They're on the way up and were just ahead of schedule this year.  And, frankly, they outplayed the Royals for much of the series.  The Royals just don't get rattled due to their experience in almost winning the World Series last year and that made the difference.  But it was close.

The Astros will be in the thick of it next year.

Meanwhile, I'm heading to KC tomorrow night for Game 1 of the ALCS.  I don't dislike the Astros, but I'm finding the Jays (and their fans) pretty easy to loathe.  That's a cocky group up there.

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 15, 2015, 11:23:55 am
Yeah, but this isn't the end for the Astros.  They're on the way up and were just ahead of schedule this year.  And, frankly, they outplayed the Royals for much of the series.  The Royals just don't get rattled due to their experience in almost winning the World Series last year and that made the difference.  But it was close.

Yep - I think so, too.
Good luck to the Royals against Toronto / I will be pulling for them.
There has been some great baseball (and some wild stuff happen) in these playoffs.
Every MLB fan should be thrilled with the outstanding young talent that's been on display.

hoglady

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 15, 2015, 11:23:55 am

Meanwhile, I'm heading to KC tomorrow night for Game 1 of the ALCS.  I don't dislike the Astros, but I'm finding the Jays (and their fans) pretty easy to loathe.  That's a cocky group up there.

That will be exciting.
Was not impressed with the Toronto fans yesterday and all the stuff being thrown on the field.
Have fun and good luck to KC the rest of the way - I will be Royals fan in this series for sure.

EastexHawg

I've been an Astros fan since the days of Joe Morgan, Doug Rader, Don Wilson, and The Toy Cannon Jimmy Wynn.  I was crushed when Cesar Cedeno was involved in the death of a young woman in his home country...I thought he may be the next Willie Mays but he was never the same player after that.

The Royals loss reminds me of Nolan Ryan blowing a 5-2 8th inning lead in Game 5 of the 1980 NLCS to knock the Astros out of their first World Series appearance.  It was another 25 years before they finally got there.