Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Report: Hugh Freeze set to become next Ole Miss head coach

Started by The Great Hambino, December 03, 2011, 10:26:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GotPig? on December 04, 2011, 05:33:27 pm
How can you have such animosity toward a guy who has an opportunity to set up his family for life - i.e., to go from the lowest paid coach in all of D-1 football (and coaching in the Sunbelt) to making a million plus a year in the SEC?

He got your school to the best record it will likely ever have and you're turning on him in a heartbeat.  And to think how sanctimonious some ASU fans were when Hog fans were upset with Nutt going to Ole Miss the way he did under vastly different circumstances.  Methinks there's a little hypocrisy here.  I can understand your being upset, but the dude is from Mississippi and can make ten times there what he can in Jonesboro.  Even of he gets fired in a couple of years, he and his family will have a couple million in the bank.  You'd do the same in his shoes, wouldn't you?
Most ASU fans think Freeze would be crazy not to take the Ole Miss job if offered.

Also, most here don't really know how special Freeze is and you will be surprised how quickly he will turn them around. They may not be a top 10 program but he can make then a top 25 program because he is that good.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

GotPig?

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 04, 2011, 05:42:21 pm
Most ASU fans think Freeze would be crazy not to take the Ole Miss job if offered.

Also, most here don't really know how special Freeze is and you will be surprised how quickly he will turn them around. They may not be a top 10 program but he can make then a top 25 program because he is that good.

I'll give you this much.  I don't follow anything ASU does (even though I'm originally from NEA), but from everything I've read about the guy, he's succeeded at everything he's ever done, albeit on small stages.  If he can make Ole Miss competitive in the SEC West, he clearly is talented and may use Ole Miss as a stepping stone, too.  Will be interesting to see if he can translate his success to running with the big boys.

Tim Harris

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 04:42:28 pm
Oh I appreciate the 10 win season.  But I still think he's a traitor.  I look at it one way.  You are with us, or against us.  There is no middle ground, not after 1 year.

Sure if he had waited 3 years and really moved the program yes, but after leaving in less then a year, all that shows me is that he was using us to get a better job.  I want coaches who are going to be committed to rebuilding ASU...not someone whose just here so he can go coach at a bigger school

never going to happen

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 04, 2011, 05:42:21 pm

He may be the greatest coach to ever take the sideline, but Nutt salted the ground in Oxford.  He has a huge task ahead of him.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

razorbackcaller

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 04, 2011, 06:42:10 pm

He may be the greatest coach to ever take the sideline, but Nutt salted the ground in Oxford.  He has a huge task ahead of him.

Me thinks he soiled the ground in oxford as well.

hog_fan

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 04, 2011, 05:35:36 pm
ASU averaged around 20K this season and for the SBC/MAC/WAC and most of CUSA that is pretty darn good.

National TV and Conference Title on the line and their were plenty of empty seats

gostAte

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 06:50:21 pm
National TV and Conference Title on the line and their were plenty of empty seats

We're in the Sun Belt not the SEC. Quit comparing ASU to UA, unless you really do need that much reassurance.

Our attendance compared with our peers is respectable.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 06:50:21 pm

That is true and those were the two smallest crowds of the season.

It was cold, wet miserable for the Tuesday night game that people could watch on TV.
After they beat MTSU on the road and got the Bowl bid even Freeze said it felt like the season was over.  ASU has a crowed of a little over 20K (a record for November) when they beat ULL and for many that was the championship game.

That still does not take away from the fact that there was a quality team on the field and contrary to what people are thinking I thing it is just the beginning of a run of quality teams at ASU. Maybe not 10 wins but look for them to make a bowl quite often.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

chiefsfan

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 04:57:13 pm
A-State fans like chief think they are greater then they are. Look at their empty stadium on a 10 win season. They think Arkansas is scared of losing fans to them

Greater then we are?   I am fuloly aware of who Arkansas State is.  I treat every person who leaves ASU in any kind of questionable circumstance a traitor.  Hugh Freeze will be the enemy the minute he takes the Oxford job.

I really dont care about doing it for his family or money, I only care about ASU...I have no care in the world about how Hugh Freeze does in his career unless that career is at Arkansas State.

Again, you either play and coach for Arkansas State, or you are the enemy.  Its really that simple.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: GotPig? on December 04, 2011, 05:33:27 pm
How can you have such animosity toward a guy who has an opportunity to set up his family for life - i.e., to go from the lowest paid coach in all of D-1 football (and coaching in the Sunbelt) to making a million plus a year in the SEC?

He got your school to the best record it will likely ever have and you're turning on him in a heartbeat.  And to think how sanctimonious some ASU fans were when Hog fans were upset with Nutt going to Ole Miss the way he did under vastly different circumstances.  Methinks there's a little hypocrisy here.  I can understand your being upset, but the dude is from Mississippi and can make ten times there what he can in Jonesboro.  Even of he gets fired in a couple of years, he and his family will have a couple million in the bank.  You'd do the same in his shoes, wouldn't you?

What do you expect me to say?  Gee thanks coach for winning 10 games here, and then turning around and leaving the program and taking most of our staff with you without the opportunity to fill out a recruiting class.  And thanks for stealing those recruits away from us and recruiting against us for the next few years. 

Do I fault him?  No, but I do question his judgement, especially if USM comes open

But Will I ever cheer for the man again...Not unless it benefits ASU.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: gunther on December 04, 2011, 05:26:54 pm
Freeze will have his work cut out for him cleaning up Hooties mess.

From what I've read, ASU is losing 20+ seniors so it's going to be a rebuild there as well.  At OM he will have some good skill players at any rate.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 04, 2011, 08:14:59 pm
From what I've read, ASU is losing 20+ seniors so it's going to be a rebuild there as well.  At OM he will have some good skill players at any rate.

Defensively yes, but ASU returns its QB and 3 of its top 4 recievers next year along with a good part of the offensive line.   In addition one of the key defensive cogs at the end of this year will be back as well.

Its a team next year that with the right coaching could win the Sun Belt again...   

stevenjoec

I hate to ask, but does anyone think that if Freeze leaves does it open up an opportunity for Nutt at ASU??

chiefsfan

Quote from: stevenjoec on December 04, 2011, 09:08:32 pm
I hate to ask, but does anyone think that if Freeze leaves does it open up an opportunity for Nutt at ASU??

Too much bad blood here.  It wouldnt happen, fans would riot, most still blame his brother for our basketball troubles.