Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog recruiting updates (3/01/18): c/o '21, '20, '19, more

Started by Kevin McPherson, March 02, 2018, 08:14:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

March 02, 2018, 08:14:07 pm Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:52:09 am by Kevin McPherson
I haven't been updating a whole lot of late, mainly because after the Hogs filled up the '18 class in the early signing period combined with no spots open for 2019 (at least not currently), things slowed down a bit and much of what has been shared with me has been confidential. Here's an update, nothing really earth-shattering and some of this is a mix of stuff that's already been talked about ...

* Not only did the Arkansas Hawks join up with Joe Johnson to become the Joe Johnson Arkansas Hawks, and not only did the Hawks just place 4 players with the Hogs (EHenderson, IJoe, DSills, and JHill), but it appears the Hawks' 15U team (c/o '21) is going to be loaded with several D1 ballers, including some high-majors ...

-- '20 Jaylin Williams ... 6-9 F/C, FSNorthside, high-major w/Hogs & OKSt interest, age group is c/o '21 and he may end up re-classing, but I'm hearing conflicting reports on that, still a lot of time to decide.
-- '21 Madison Peaster ... 6-2 PG, LRMills, has been really good playing big minutes lately on a talented-guard-rich Comets team that hass won 27 gms in a row ... Peaster is skilled, quick, explosive, & he really caught my eye in February and now March ... has high-major stuff.
-- '21 Jalen Ricks ... 6-4 CG, Sylvan Hills ... long, skilled, and deceptively athletic ... he's a stat-sheet stuffer because he can do so many things = score at all 3 levels, reb, facilitate ... love this kid's game, high-major stuff.
-- '21 Terran Williams ... 6-4 F, Marianna ... Terran caught my eye last year playing w/Joe Johnson Elite 14U ... he's long, a fearless slasher who finishes above the rim, adequate handler to get from wing to paint, decent mid-range game, mid-major already w/shot at high-major consideration down the road.
-- '21 Ryan "RJ" Maxwell ... 6-4 F, Jacksonville ... long & athletic, interior player with good instincts around the basket, runs the floor well and likes to hit the glass, mid-major prospect already with potential to move up.
-- '21 Jordan Maxwell ... 6-4 wing, Jacksonville ... Jordan is bouncy, smart, and seems to be developing into a swiss-army-knife type of player who can do a lot of things to help you win ... mid-major prospect who might grow & develop into high-major.

* I still see a lot of questions about '19 Hog commit Justice Hill's status, so here's what it looks like right now ...

-- 1) As has been talked about for more than a year, Justice will graduate LRChristian EARLY next year (2018-19 school year) and will enroll at UA for the Spring semester.
-- 2) Justice will practice with the Hoop Hogs but he will not play, making him a freshman for the '19-20 season like it would have been if he had just stayed at LRCA for the entire '18-19 school year.
-- 3) Hog football is targeting Justice, and he has an Auburn football offer with other SEC schools recruiting him for football -- just something to keep an eye on.
-- 4) on LRCA's senior night a couple of week's ago, Justice was introduced with the seniors -- makes sense because he won't be playing basketball next year at LRCA, he'll be at UA by then.
-- 5) Justice will pay football at LRCA next season, and that will wrap up in time for him to move to Fayetteville for the start of the Spring semester.

* '20 Hog recruit Bryce Thompson of Tulsa (6-5 SG, OK Run PWP on Under Armour circuit, composite Nat'l No. 55 / 4*) visited for the UA-vs-TA&M game, and Hogs have been on him since last summer ... more details ITT ... http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=657423.0

* Speaking of the c/o '20, we know about ballers named MoMoody, CMoore, GDoakes, JWilliams, and KKRobinson, but '20 SG Detrick Reeves, Jr., of Marion (6-3 SG, ARSt offer w/Hogs, OKSt, Baylor, SMU, TCU, and others interested) and '20 Payton Brown of Waldron (6-4 SG, interest from Hogs, OKSt, TCU, and others) are TWO names that have emerged after both put up big numbers in '17-18. Both are part of a Team SuperStar South program that was contracted to play on Under Armour's top circuit this spring/summer (this was done when Moody was still part of that team), but I'm told UAA has not back-tracked (at least not yet) from that commitment. If TSS plays on the UAA circuit, we'll get a good look at how both Reeves and Brown stack up. Reeves played well initially last spring before injuring his foot and missing most of the grassroots season.

* Class of 2019 ballers on the Hogs' radar? The Hogs currently have no spots available for '19, but recruiting never stops and we know the names so far ...

-- Javon Franklin, 6-6 F, Holmes CC via LRParkview ... Hogs really like him and stay in constant contact, Javon likes the Hogs. Expect his recruiting to really pick up once the season is over because he'll be entering into his final juco season. I expect a mix of mid- and high-majors to come after him. His coaches at Holmes say good things about his impact in games ... in 25 gms, JFrank avg 22.7 mins, 10.4 pts (62.2% FGs), 8.2 rbs, & 2.5 blks.
-- Tim Ceaser, 6-8 PF, SWChristian Academy ... Tim had a strong junior season ... he battled against D1 bigs every day in practice, and he played well against some really good teams ... strong rebounder, inconsistent finisher around the basket but lots of potential, decent face-up / mid-range game, good passer ... Hogs have not offered, but they are recruiting Tim and staying in contact ... he has several schools interested, including K-St, Missouri, GaTech, and OKSt.
-- Jahmius Ramsey, 6-4 G, IMG Academy ... JR tells me he and the Hogs talk daily and that his interest level is high, and just recently he dropped an "edit" on Twitter showing him surrounded by 20+ school logos, incl the Hogs ... absolutely love his game -- sturdy/strong frame, athletic slasher, nice mix of PG/facilitator AND SG skill, big guard built to rebound and defend -- and he has big-time high-major offers ... here is my tweet listing his offers and linking a pic of his recent "edit" ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/969348553322659840

* Arkansas was showing interest in '18 Jahbril Price-Noel, who joined SWChristian Academy for this season as a senior, but lately it seems the programs most involved are OKSt, Ole Miss, Houston, and Wyoming. I really like Jahbril's game -- 6-7 wing from Toronto, smart & skilled, improved 3-pt shooter and mixes in facilitating & finishing when he slashes. I believe he is a high-major prospect, and I would leave the door cracked that the Hogs could possibly renew interest should roster attrition kick in like it has in the spring in recent years.

* From another thread started earlier Friday about Moses Moody picking Brad Beal Elite 17U for this spring/summer, a poster asked me about it and here was my response ...

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on March 02, 2018, 07:01:48 pm
Why all the sky is falling defeatist attitude?  From all reports, Hogs are in good shape with Moody.

Kevin, what are your thoughts?

Some info on Moses Moody: playing w/Brad Beal Elite 17U, recruiting, more (interview)

I've been sitting on this info for some time. Heard it from a couple of sources awhile back, the Moody's confirmed it was all but a done deal but they had not notified all the coahces yet, so out of respect for their process I sat on it. Via twitter earlier today, Nike Hoops (@D1Circuit) released the news and that's how the other OP landed here on Hogville.

The Moody's listened to overtures from a lot of grassroots programs from Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour, and in the end they chose a program with 30+ years in the AAU/grassroots game that's not too far away from home. They listened to the new Nike EYBL team in Arkansas -- you know who they are -- and decided to go with the established organization. At least for now, because in this spring/summer grassroots game kids flip constantly. Not saying that will happen with Moody, but it happens a lot in general.

Moses will play up with the 17s this spring/summer (he played w/his age group -- 15s -- last year and was not on one of the 3 major circuits) ... I think this is the right move for him, because 2 years playing and testing himself against the best will give him a chance to develop into the best all-around player he can be before college.

As far as the Hogs, Moses has been to 2 games this year (Troy in NLR, then Aggies a couple of weeks ago) and a practice. He's been to Baylor and OU (watched Trae Young go for 40+). He likes the Hogs, but he likes the other schools recruiting him, too, so I think he's wide open right now and I don't expect he'll be making any announcements of favorites any time soon.

Obviously as others pointed out, Brad Beal went to Florida and Florida dipped into NLR for Kevaugn Allen, so there are connections there, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about it. Way too early for that, and I know the Moodys are not rushing into any decisions or playing favorites. Never say never, so I guess that could change, but I don't see it based on how they've handled recruiting to this point.

Saw Mo play tonight in the 7A state tourney quarterfinals (Memphis was there to see him, too) ... I interviewed him after the game, and here are my tweets with those brief video interviews ...

* '20 @moses_moody3 (6-5 SG, composite Nat'l Top 50 / 4*) will play on the Nike EYBL 17U circuit this summer w/Brad Beal Elite out of St. Louis ... MoBaller talked about it ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/969751388313014275

* '20 SG @moses_moody3 talks about recruiting ... he attended 2 Hog games this year & caught a Hog practice, but he also spent time at OU and Baylor ... he shares his thoughts on recruiting ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/969752372569346048

hogwood

It seems that if Moody goes elsewhere that the staff is possibly grooming Bryce Thompson as a good option. I'm not worried about Moody. If we can get Ramsey in 19' we will be set on guards including the 18' class + Garland and Harris from 17' would be upper classmen too.

The_Iceman

A serious lack of big men in this post. That is concerning.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 07, 2018, 11:00:05 am

You're right that the bulk of the top-level talent in-state is mostly backcourt players, but that's always been the case. Is it concerning? Maybe. CMA has had 5 consecutive seasons w/an All SEC big man = Portis twice, Kingsley twice, & now Gafford making the All Freshman team. So one might see an end to that streak on the horizon based on the names we know about now.

I think Adrio Bailey, Gabe Osabuohien, and Reggie Chaney will be the 4 rotation next season, with Gafford (sure-fire All SEC w/shot at SEC POY & AA potential, similar to BPortis's 2nd and final season) and Henderson manning the 5 ... however, if Gafford is a one-and-done then Arkansas will probably look to add a big in the spring (whether senior-grad transfer, juco, or HS).

Looking beyond next season to '19-20, Bailey would presumably be a senior, Osabuohien a junior, and Chaney and Henderson sophomores. As far as potential additions, Tim Ceaser (6-8, c/o '19) can play both the 4 and the 5 ... Javon Franklin (6-6, c/o '19) would be the next undersized-4 that CMA likes for his system. Not suggesting Arkansas definitely offers either or both, but its very possible they do.

Down the road a bit more is Jaylin Williams (6-9 and still growing, c/o '20 or '21) ... If he sticks with c/o '20 and signs with Arkansas, he'd join Osabuohien & presumably Franklin (seniors), Chaney and Henderson (juniors), & presumably Ceaser (sophomore).

If you look at the personnel that way, the frontcourt numbers would be similar to what you see now. The main/significant difference -- and what you may be calling out -- is that unlike Portis (Top 20 / 5*), Kingsley (Top 50 / 4*), and Gafford (Top 35 / 4*) who were 6-10 or taller with All SEC stuff, the corps of bigs coming in don't offer the size or upside at the 5 spot.

Conversely, a guy like Chaney might offer the Hogs' best chance for a 4 to be All SEC, with Gabe, Henderson, Ceaser, Franklin being undersized but effective complementary pieces. And, maybe the bigger guard/wing corps helps Arkansas thrive similar to what TN, Auburn, and some other are doing without a big man.

My point is, I'm not sure that the big man recruiting is as bleak when considering other roster/personnel factors.

dbw3ward

Kevin, 
What is the story on Ibrahim Ali, from Little Rock area and recently committed to Baylor?

Hawg Red

Quote from: dbw3ward on March 08, 2018, 12:05:49 am
Kevin, 
What is the story on Ibrahim Ali, from Little Rock area and recently committed to Baylor?

Looking at his offers, it appears he outkicked his coverage. Looks like he is from Maumelle and did a post grad year at SW Christian.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 07, 2018, 11:00:05 am

I agree.  Only 2 guys mentioned in Kevin's article was 6'8 or taller.  And all of these guys are local.  Typical Mike Anderson recruiting. To sign a big man we are going to have to be really smart and work very hard so we can get the right guy.  Unless we have an inside on Stud we are going to have to find a big kid who is athletic but needs to develop which means he may need a year or two.  Moses Kingsley type.  This means we need  to sign a big almost every year so he can develop.  I love the potential of Chaney and Henderson.  I see Chaney playing a big role at the 4 because he might be the only guy on the team next year over 220 lbs.  I think Henderson will need to fill out so he can get more physical in the middle.  Right now 190 lbs on a 6'8 frame will be tough in the paint.  I was hoping Kevin knew of a secret recruit who is a big for the 2018 class.  I know we do not have a scholarship but I figured some one might come open.   We need more big men in the middle or we will lose many games next year when we get out rebounded and give up points inside.  I am still hoping. To win consistently you must rebound well and defend the middle and be able to score several ways because the 3 ball does not always fall.  I hate it when we  limited in our ways to beat people.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: dbw3ward on March 08, 2018, 12:05:49 am
Kevin, 

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 08, 2018, 05:24:07 am
Looking at his offers, it appears he outkicked his coverage. Looks like he is from Maumelle and did a post grad year at SW Christian.

Ibby started out at SW Christian, but ended up at Maumelle. He was a senior in '16-17, was trying to get into prep school for this season but could not get that worked out, ended up sitting out the entire season. He's 6-9 / 6-10, built like a pro, athletic ... just looking at his numbers on MaxPreps, he avg 4 pts, 5.7 rbs, 1.2 blks in 31 gms as a senior at Maumelle ... I could be wrong (because I don't know this to be the case), but I'd guess Ibby is walking on at Baylor.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on March 08, 2018, 09:28:09 am
Ibby started out at SW Christian, but ended up at Maumelle. He was a senior in '16-17, was trying to get into prep school for this season but could not get that worked out, ended up sitting out the entire season. He's 6-9 / 6-10, built like a pro, athletic ... just looking at his numbers on MaxPreps, he avg 4 pts, 5.7 rbs, 1.2 blks in 31 gms as a senior at Maumelle ... I could be wrong (because I don't know this to be the case), but I'd guess Ibby is walking on at Baylor.

Why can"t we get those types of walk ons?   A 6'9 would have a chance of getting playing time here with the size we have on our roster.

Curious did Ibby get any D2 offers?