Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JayBell on June 22, 2015, 01:12:06 pm
To me, this offseason is defined by over-hype in the SEC.  Last year was a down year in the SEC and some people don't want to admit it.  With this much hype, fans are going to be devastated this winter.

I know the conference is uber competitive, but fans of virtually every team have convinced themselves they'll all be battling for 10 wins or more this season.  It's not mathematically or competitively possible.  Someone is not going to be good.

Mississippi State lost everybody but Dak.  Seriously, they bring back seven starters, least in the conference.  Tennessee is not as talented as some other East teams.  They had to claw to 7 wins last season in the weaker division.  Ole Miss has to go to Alabama, to Florida, to Auburn and to State; plus their starting quarterback will be a sophomore who has thrown 20-22 career passes.

And Auburn.  Seriously?  No. 7 in the country?  They return 8 on defense, but when has Gus Malzahn ever had a good defense?  They return 4 on offense.  Tied for the least in the conference.  The conference is swinging the other way and the defenses will be up from last season.  The 2013 Auburn team was better and they needed multiple miracles to make it to the championship game.

Really good analysis IMO. +1

Last year was a down year in the SEC and some people don't want to admit it. 

The SEC had FOUR teams of championship playoff caliber last year!!  FOUR!!

Would you like to point out another conference that had more than two?

(Sorry to nitpick, really good post otherwise.)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Aggie96

Quote from: JayBell on June 22, 2015, 01:00:29 pm
I'm so tired of hearing about Tennessee.  The media wants so, so, so bad for them to be the "surprise team" in the East next season.  Only thing is, they're all talking about Tennessee, so they're not going to surprise anyone.  A team that hasn't won in a long time needs to be able to sneak up on some people.  Tennessee is not going to jump from 7 wins to a conference contender in one year when the entire division is likely to improve.

The last non-perennial contender hyped this much in the SEC was the 2012 Arkansas team.  How'd that season work out?

You could literally replace the word "Tennessee" with the word "Arkansas" in this and the "East" with "West" and it would still be spot on.  ;D
You can eat the Apple but don't Eff with the Corps!!! GIG 'EM!!!

lefty08

Quote from: Aggie96 on June 23, 2015, 04:42:13 am
You could literally replace the word "Tennessee" with the word "Arkansas" in this and the "East" with "West" and it would still be spot on.  ;D

Don't you have some defensive game tape to be watching?  Focus on the 3rd downs.....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

To me, this offseason is defined by over-hype in the SEC.  Last year was a down year in the SEC and some people don't want to admit it.  With this much hype, fans are going to be devastated this winter.

I know the conference is uber competitive, but fans of virtually every team have convinced themselves they'll all be battling for 10 wins or more this season.  It's not mathematically or competitively possible.  Someone is not going to be good.

Mississippi State lost everybody but Dak.  Seriously, they bring back seven starters, least in the conference.  Tennessee is not as talented as some other East teams.  They had to claw to 7 wins last season in the weaker division.  Ole Miss has to go to Alabama, to Florida, to Auburn and to State; plus their starting quarterback will be a sophomore who has thrown 20-22 career passes.

And Auburn.  Seriously?  No. 7 in the country?  They return 8 on defense, but when has Gus Malzahn ever had a good defense?  They return 4 on offense.  Tied for the least in the conference.  The conference is swinging the other way and the defenses will be up from last season.  The 2013 Auburn team was better and they needed multiple miracles to make it to the championship game.

We don't know how everyone is going to play just yet or if the returning two deep that they have are going to be able to perform as well oiled machines, but here are the returning two deeps on offense and defense for our SEC opponents.

OFF      DEF
TAM        18        15
TEN         20        20
ALA         15        16
AUB         17        14
MIS         20        14
LSU         14        17
MSU        13        13
MIZ         17        16
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JayBell on June 23, 2015, 08:45:47 am
Notice how uniform those are?  That's because that's all pretty standard.  That's why you look at returning starters.  Everybody can have tons of optimism when you look at the returning two-deep.

There's a reason the former starters were the starters and the backups were the backups.

Don't diminish the potential impact of having a solid and experienced two deep returning. You need that in the SEC and it is one of our biggest question marks along our O-Line this year. As an example, we return 5 experienced players along the O-Line, Tennessee returns 9, Ole Miss returns 10. Returning starters are great to have but having experienced depth to back them up is important as well.
Go Hogs Go!

Aggie96

Quote from: JayBell on June 23, 2015, 08:49:26 am
What have you been reading?  Sure, Arkansas fans are pumping some sunshine, but everyone else I've read does not expect Arkansas to make another jump this season.  They expect them to level off and get to 8 or 9 wins a bit easier than they got to 7 wins last year, but that's it.

I separate the fan hype from the media hype.  Arkansas had both in 2012, which is what worried me so much.  Auburn, Tennessee, MSU and Ole Miss are the ones getting an inordinate amount of hype this year.  They're being pumped up more than South Carolina, Georgia and Arkansas, which I don't think makes sense.

You're kidding right? i have seen several people picking you guys as the "dark horse" of the West even though you have lost your best players on defense and a few staples on offense.

Everything I am seeing is the Barners (sans their starting QB which is laughable) you guys, UGA and UT as the picks to win the SEC

Aggie96

Quote from: JayBell on June 23, 2015, 08:45:47 am
Notice how uniform those are?  That's because that's all pretty standard.  That's why you look at returning starters.  Everybody can have tons of optimism when you look at the returning two-deep.

There's a reason the former starters were the starters and the backups were the backups.

So what are the returning starters for those teams looking like?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: JayBell on June 22, 2015, 04:32:20 pm
Four?  Alabama, the Mississippi schools and who?  Georgia was 9-3 with loss to USCE and UF, both had only 6 wins in the regular season.  Or the Missouri team that couldn't remotely compete with Alabama?

Anyway, I think the bowl games showed the SEC only had one playoff caliber team last season.  And they lost.  I'm not going to do like other folks and make sweeping judgments off of one game per team, but Ole Miss clearly wasn't on that level.  They had a great start to the season, but a playoff caliber team doesn't get embarrassed the way they were by Arkansas and TCU.  So really you have Alabama and MSU up there.  The Pac-12, B1G and Big XII all had two teams ranked in the top 10 (the SEC had three).

Besides, it's not just about the top teams.  The SEC usually dominates through the rest of the bowl games despite being matched up with teams that are ranked higher and finished higher in their respective conferences.  Teams from the West were pretty evenly matched up and the top five all lost.  I mean, LSU lost to Notre Dame!  Any season where an SEC team loses to Notre Dame has to be considered a down year.

I wasn't including UGa in that list, but I was including AU.  And, yes, I know their record overall wasn't at that qualifying level, but I was talking about the quality of the teams.

At the time near or just after the middle of the year, or whenever it was, that the SEC had four of the top five (I believe), IMO every one of those teams were deserving of those rankings.

I think last year was maybe the deepest year for the SEC in recent memory.  Arkansas struggled to finish .500, yet should have beaten a playoff team. 

There was just a lot of pretty darned good football teams in the SEC last year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Aggie96

Quote from: JayBell on June 23, 2015, 12:17:33 pm
           OFF      DEF
TAM        7        6
TEN        10       8
ALA         4        8
AUB         4        8
MIS         9        8
LSU         8        8
MSU        4        3
MIZ         7        6

See how there's more disparity there than the two-deep?  It's especially big on offense.  Everybody brings back the majority of their two-deep.  It's the nature of a college football roster.

SEC defenses were down and banged up last season.  The hurry up offenses had a chance to make a difference, but a lot of teams bring back 8 on defense and less on offense.

When I see those numbers for Mississippi State and Auburn, I cannot understand how they're being hyped so much.  I give Alabama the benefit of the doubt because, well, they're Alabama.

Tennessee improved last season and has a lot of talent coming back.  I expect them to improve, I just disagree with how much a lot of people are expecting them to improve.  Tennessee and Arkansas both to improve from 7-win teams to compete in the best conference in the country?  Just doesn't make sense.

What kind of returning two deep and starting numbers does Arkansas have?

Boaris Tusknik

Ok, so I dont get the love fest for Tennessee. Seems to me like everyone is expecting them to do great things, but for me watching them last year I dont understand it. A team that got smoked by Ole Miss and barely beat Vanderbilt to have that much of a turn around seems quite unlikey. Not to mention they did win against Iowa in the Kotex bowl they played in but didnt Iowa hang 28? Anyhow I think everyone buys into the recruiting classes they have had but it takes coaching to translate that to the field. I would take our coach with 2 and 3 star recruits any day over Dyke Jones at Tenner. Hope we beat the piss out of em! :razorback: :razorback:

ZERO

When you look at Arkansas and Tennessee side-by-side, we're in a similar situation. I would say Arkansas is a little ahead of Tennessee right now in the rebuilding game, but we're both teams coming off of 7-6 and a Bowl win, while decidedly trending upward. Tennessee fans and UT-friendly media are excited about Tennessee because they were a really young team last year, and have been recruiting exceptionally well on top of that. Butch Jones has (somehow) been recruiting like 30 players both of his years at Tennessee, and they've mostly been blue chip talent. Combine those two factors with the notion that the East is the weak division, and Tennessee is poised to have a breakout year. Seriously, their big competition is Georgia, who they get at home. South Carolina should be down, Florida should be finding their footing under this new coach, Vanderbilt and Kentucky are going to be Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Then you have Missouri, who is a wild card.

Don't get me wrong, Tennessee still has a potential six losses, especially considering we don't know how strong they really are, but they're also looking at their first realistic shot at 10 wins in a pretty long time.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

allvol1

There really isn't that much love for UT. Vegas has the win over\under @7.5 which isn't any great leap from what they accomplished last year. Most every reputable writer has Georgia favored to win the east with some mentioning Mizzou as possible. The only mention of UT winning has been with the dark horse label. I've seen no one predict a better record than 8-4 with most saying 7-5. All the articles I've read could be leaning either way. Alot of them are written because UT has a huge fan base even after 10 yrs of suckage and anything written about them gets alot of hits which generates add income.

presidenthog

Quote from: allvol1 on June 26, 2015, 08:01:43 pm
There really isn't that much love for UT. Vegas has the win over\under @7.5 which isn't any great leap from what they accomplished last year. Most every reputable writer has Georgia favored to win the east with some mentioning Mizzou as possible. The only mention of UT winning has been with the dark horse label. I've seen no one predict a better record than 8-4 with most saying 7-5. All the articles I've read could be leaning either way. Alot of them are written because UT has a huge fan base even after 10 yrs of suckage and anything written about them gets alot of hits which generates add income.
see guys a tenner fan who gets it. it's about like arkansas. this is our first realistic shot at a 10 win season. but 8-4 9-3 is what is expected from most.

JansterZ71

The love fest comes from them having very good recruiting and for them having a very young talented team that is very much coming back.  Good QB play in SEC=Success. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

31to6

Quote from: Boaris Tusknik on June 26, 2015, 06:19:10 pm
Ok, so I dont get the love fest for Tennessee.
The love is because they have ridiculous levels of young talent that got a lot of playing time last year and a head coach that has been very successful at his last two stops. In the last two years they have pulled in 31 concensus 4*'s and a 5*.

To put that into perspective, that is almost as many 4 and 5* players as we have signed since 2009.

I think they are a year away from being solid and two years away from being really, really good--at least in terms of getting the right talent and getting the depth across the board.

But with that many good players and with a dynamic style of offense, they can beat anyone--they just will be a bit inconsistent due to an average defense and a lot of youth.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: allvol1 on June 26, 2015, 08:01:43 pm

Welcome and stick around.  It's great having a rival's fan on here.  BTW, don't let any Jack Rabbits run you off.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

HOGINTENNESSEE

June 27, 2015, 07:43:23 am #216 Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:58:31 am by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: 31to6 on June 27, 2015, 12:53:15 am
The love is because they have ridiculous levels of young talent that got a lot of playing time last year and a head coach that has been very successful at his last two stops. In the last two years they have pulled in 31 concensus 4*'s and a 5*.

To put that into perspective, that is almost as many 4 and 5* players as we have signed since 2009.

I think they are a year away from being solid and two years away from being really, really good--at least in terms of getting the right talent and getting the depth across the board.

But with that many good players and with a dynamic style of offense, they can beat anyone--they just will be a bit inconsistent due to an average defense and a lot of youth.

You also have to take into account the have already lost 11 players this off season and all were 4 stars on either rivals or 247 classes. They currently still have 2 4 stars that are facing litigation (Jennings and Pearson).

lefty08

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 27, 2015, 07:43:23 am
You also have to take into account the have already lost 11 players this off season and all were 4 stars on either rivals or 247 classes. They currently still have 2 4 stars that are facing litigation (Jennings and Pearson).

Don't ruin the mojo of the board, we all know recruiting stars are the end all be all of football quality on the field. Haha
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

31to6

Quote from: lefty08 on June 27, 2015, 08:03:45 am
Don't ruin the mojo of the board, we all know recruiting stars are the end all be all of football quality on the field. Haha
I didn't say I agreed with the hype, I merely explained why it exists.

I think they win 8 games.

But they play in a division with 2 gimmees.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Boaris Tusknik on June 26, 2015, 06:19:10 pm
Ok, so I dont get the love fest for Tennessee. Seems to me like everyone is expecting them to do great things, but for me watching them last year I dont understand it. A team that got smoked by Ole Miss and barely beat Vanderbilt to have that much of a turn around seems quite unlikey. Not to mention they did win against Iowa in the Kotex bowl they played in but didnt Iowa hang 28? Anyhow I think everyone buys into the recruiting classes they have had but it takes coaching to translate that to the field. I would take our coach with 2 and 3 star recruits any day over Dyke Jones at Tenner. Hope we beat the piss out of em! :razorback: :razorback:
Called great recruiting.  Great recruiting in the eyes of those who are supposed to know will put the monkey on your back.  But it is not always about bringing in 4/5 star kids but bringing in kids who have outstanding potential and work hard and are coached up.

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Jun 25

Tennessee's had as many NBA draft picks the past two years (3) as NFL draft picks. No seriously.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jgphillips3

Tennessee is a historically good football program.  They have been down a long time.  The SEC East is still nowhere near the West.  People are "ready" to see them be good again and they become a trendy pick for improvement.  On the other hand, we earned our respect by knocking Alabama d@%# in the dirt before barely losing and clobbering Ole Miss, LSU and Texas.  I think we are a more complete team than they are but they have talent. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 27, 2015, 07:43:23 am
Ahh.............but at Tenny "litigation', like at FSU, means at most a 1/2 quarter suspension for a do-nothing OOC game.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: lefty08 on June 27, 2015, 08:03:45 am

True, true.

Rankings mean nothing.   Barf, barf ad nauseum.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

lefty08

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 27, 2015, 04:03:44 pm
True, true.

Rankings mean nothing.   Barf, barf ad nauseum.

What?

redeye

Tennessee has the 2nd most wins in the SEC and is usually considered 2nd behind Alabama in historic prestige.  They've put a lot of players in the NFL over the years.  Right now, they have a coach who's won big elsewhere and they have a lot of young, but highly rated players out of high school.  That's why everyone thinks they'll be good.

Having said that, I'm also skeptical.  Tennessee has struggled ever since Fulmer left, and since then, they've been expected to be better almost every single year, but it hasn't happened, yet.  They've had some tough obstacles along the way and will eventually be good, again, but I need to see it happen, first.  Talent doesn't automatically make a great football team and they've proven that in the recent past.  They may very well be as good as expected this year, but it's been a long road back for Tennessee, so I think there's good reason to be skeptical that they've finally arrived.

20hog11

Athlon has them at 8-4 (5-3 in the SEC). I think the emergence of thier QB last year is the reason for a lot of the hype. I like our chances against them this year.

lefty08

The emergence of their qb came against Kentucky, Vandy, and usc. Wow

20hog11

Quote from: lefty08 on June 28, 2015, 03:48:08 pm
The emergence of their qb came against Kentucky, Vandy, and usc. Wow

Wow indeed. If only Arkansas could relocate itself further East....

Locutus_of_Boar

If you have any concerns about the threat of a Tennessee return to football glory just get a copy of their spring "game".

They're a shoe-in to win the Houston Dale Nutt Moral Victory of the Year Award at this year's ESPYs.

Boaris Tusknik

I just got to looking at Tennessee's 2014 schedule and didnt see one win that impressed me... Seen a couple games that were alot closer than they should have been. I think that we run over and through them in Neyland. It seems to me tthat Tenner fans have an ego the size of Dobbs forehead. I really think that we destroy them. :razorback: :razorback:

ZERO

Quote from: Boaris Tusknik on June 28, 2015, 08:03:59 pm
I just got to looking at Tennessee's 2014 schedule and didnt see one win that impressed me... Seen a couple games that were alot closer than they should have been. I think that we run over and through them in Neyland. It seems to me tthat Tenner fans have an ego the size of Dobbs forehead. I really think that we destroy them. :razorback: :razorback:

That's why I say, with all due respect to Tennessee fans, that Arkansas appears to be ahead of them in the rebuilding process. Unless some of their guys have made some real break-throughs this offseason, what we're returning should best what they're returning. But the fact that the game is at their house levels the field a bit.

We had higher quality wins against better competition, and of our four common opponents, they only looked better in one game.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Boaris Tusknik

True they only looked better in one game but they had a off week before Georgia and we played Alabama. Granted they did get curb stomped by a non impressive Sooner team two weeks before.

ZERO

I actually didn't realize they had a bye week before going into Georgia. I'm kind of forgiving of their loss to Oklahoma. They lost by 24 points on the road to a team that ended up going 8-5, who everyone thought was #4 at the time. We lost by 24 points on the road to a team that ended up going 8-5, who everyone thought was #6 at the time. Although, I DO think Auburn was the better team, I won't cast stones there.

bennyl08

Quote from: 20hog11 on June 28, 2015, 03:54:26 pm
Wow indeed. If only Arkansas could relocate itself further East....

Nah, conference just needs to realign. Missouri being in the east while Alabama schools are in the west doesn't make much sense. Put Mizzou and Vandy in the west and put the bama schools in the east and the conference becomes more geologically sensical.

Plus, it preserves the majority of the historical rivalries.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 28, 2015, 10:25:39 pm
Nah, conference just needs to realign. Missouri being in the east while Alabama schools are in the west doesn't make much sense. Put Mizzou and Vandy in the west and put the bama schools in the east and the conference becomes more geologically sensical.

Plus, it preserves the majority of the historical rivalries.

Yeah, but it would make the West a laughing stock as far as how tough it is.   I don't think Mizzou will sustain this level of success, especially after Pinkel leaves or retires.  Vandy......Well, what more needs to be said.

Basically, you'd be trading two of the biggest dogs for two of the lowest dogs, with Vandy being THE lowest dog.

I guess it would help us get to the SECC each year by a LOT, but would we be mentally tough enough and challenged enough to capitalize once we got there?
His response to me:

ZERO

Don't forget that the West was once the weak division, and we only capitalized on that a couple of times. The West has won the Championship Game for the last eight years, and it's just now taken the all-time lead by a single game.

It's easier in the East, sure. But we were in that situation once, so I can respect what Missouri has done.

Pork Twain

Good coach and good classes
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

allvol1

Quote from: Boaris Tusknik on June 28, 2015, 08:03:59 pm

If UT wins this game does that mean you were wrong about how bad UT is or wrong about how good Arkansas is?

MuskogeeHogFan

June 29, 2015, 08:03:49 am #239 Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:16:12 am by MuskogeeHogFan
I think that the media just looks at Tennessee and perceives that the stars "should" be aligning for them. They feel they have a good HC and staff, they have lots of talent on campus, had pretty decent defense in the middle of the field last year and they think that their offense is going to really begin to gel this year. All of that on top of a youthful team having gained experience and returning 20 on their two deep on both offense and on their defense and you can see why they are projecting that which they are about Tennessee.

No one knows how good Tennessee is going to actually play once the ball is kicked off, but on paper they look like they should be improved.
Go Hogs Go!

Boaris Tusknik

I keep hearing the same things about how Butch Jones is supposed to be this great coach, consider me unimpressed.  Barely a .600 win percentage at subpar programs. Granted Beliemas is ? 650ish but we all know the dumpster fire he had to turn around here. I consider our coach a winning coach that came from a big time program and Butch seems to not be on the same level. I still think CBB hands CBJ a smackdown in Neyland and I hope he runs the score up. :razorback: :razorback:

The NewEra

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 27, 2015, 03:02:51 pm
Tennessee is a historically good football program.  They have been down a long time.  The SEC East is still nowhere near the West.  People are "ready" to see them be good again and they become a trendy pick for improvement.  On the other hand, we earned our respect by knocking Alabama d@%# in the dirt before barely losing and clobbering Ole Miss, LSU and Texas.  I think we are a more complete team than they are but they have talent.

You saved me a lot of typing.  I think you nailed it.

lefty08

Tennessee should be better but as if right now I expect us to be the better team. They have signed better classes the last few years and also lost a ton of talent from those classes. It takes more than talent to win in this league. If it didn't there would be no need to play the games. The same schools recruit the better players by ranking every year. I look for Arkansas to win by a minimum of 2 scores, and if the game was in Arkansas I expect it would be ugly

murfvol

I think Arkansas is ahead in the rebuilding process, largely due to Bielema. He's proven, and Jones isn't yet. The latter has done a lot of good things, but might also be Houston Nutt with better organizational skills. We'll see.

UT's weakness is the OL. Not retaining Pittman has been Jones' biggest goof thus far. I think our game will be hard-fought, with the Hogs winning 24-20. Wait, do y'all have a kicker this year? If not, remove the field goal.

31to6

Quote from: murfvol on June 29, 2015, 03:52:00 pm
I think Arkansas is ahead in the rebuilding process, largely due to Bielema. He's proven, and Jones isn't yet. The latter has done a lot of good things, but might also be Houston Nutt with better organizational skills. We'll see.

UT's weakness is the OL. Not retaining Pittman has been Jones' biggest goof thus far. I think our game will be hard-fought, with the Hogs winning 24-20. Wait, do y'all have a kicker this year? If not, remove the field goal.
Awfully optimistic projecting 3-3 on PAT as well :P

Actually, our kicking was a problem all season. Early in the season we did not have any accuracy. Late in the season we had accuracy, but no range.

Spring looked good. But, spring...

I have my fingers and toes crossed. Bad place-kicking was a big factor in a couple losses last year.

Dwight_K_Shrute

One part of the love fest is because they had a winning season last year.  That was in large part due to the weakness of their schedule/the SEC-E.

The SEC-E is so weak after Georgia and Mizzou it's not even funny. 

They eeked out a 1 game improvement in SEC record from year 1 to year to and a 1 win improvement in regular season record.  Put them in the West where they don't have the luxury of Vandy and KY and see if they are even bowl eligible last year. 

Their 3 conf wins came against SC, Vandy, and KY.   

YPG was 370 pts for was 65th and against was 36th. 

Nothing stands out to me.  The only thing they can really hang their hat on is recruiting.  That's potential that has yet to be realized. 

Arkansas could easily be the better team but finish the year with a worse record than TN just due to SOS. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

murfvol

Ugh. Didn't realize kicking would be an adventure again this year 31to6. Surely it will improve.

As far as UT goes, here are legitimate reasons for optimism.
1) Josh Dobbs is not an all-time great,  but he adds a dimension needed by teams with porous lines. He started playing against Bama, and did quite well. A legitimate question is why he wasn't playing earlier.

2) The defense has been better than expected, and finally has depth.

3) Secondary and skill positions are solid to very good, and our pass rush is strong.

Plenty of things could go wrong too (e.g., offensive line), but talent- wise this is the best we've been since Dooley' s final year. That squad was good enough to win 9 with a top 75 defense.

jbcarol

Line swing summary indicates teams anticipated to be most improved in 2015.  After TCU are two SEC teams.

QuoteInterestingly, two SEC schools come in next, with Arkansas and Tennessee being favored by approximately 8 more ppg than they were in prior meetings with their 2015 opponents.

Former powers Oklahoma and Florida are favored by 9-10 points less than they were in matchups from 2014, in most cases making them underdogs in the games.  For instance, in 2014 Oklahoma played Tennessee in Oklahoma.  Oklahoma was a 21 point favorite and won by 24 points.  But in 2015, Oklahoma finds themselves a 3 point underdog on 9/12 in Tennessee.  That's an 18 point swing in Tennessee's favor!
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Gatorsports.com ‏@Gator_sports 15h15 hours ago

No. 15 — Joshua Dobbs http://bit.ly/1JiOgyz

QuoteSchool: Tennessee

Year: Junior

Position: Quarterback

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 212 pounds

Why he's No. 15: Dobbs is one of the main reasons expectations and confidence are running so high in Knoxville heading into the 2015 season.

After taking over as the starting quarterback in the second half of last season, Dobbs ignited the offense, and the Vols in general, leading UT to a 4-1 record over the final five games.

With Dobbs as the starter, the Vols averaged 36.7 points and 431 total yards a game. In the six games in which he played, Dobbs piled up 1,675 yards of total offense and 17 touchdowns, nine passing and eight running. He closed out his strong finish by being named the MVP in the Vols' 45-28 victory over Iowa in the TaxSlayer Bowl.

His performance in a win at South Carolina is an example of his dual-threat ability. He became the first QB in UT history to throw for 300 yards and rush for more than 100 in a game. He accounted for five touchdowns, throwing for 301 yards and rushing for 166.

31to6

Quote from: murfvol on June 29, 2015, 06:10:57 pm
Ugh. Didn't realize kicking would be an adventure again this year 31to6. Surely it will improve.
I'm sure it will. Plus we had been spoiled for the previous 4 years with Zack Hocker. Dude was money (except for the Johnelle year, when he had the brilliant idea of changing out longsnappers).

I will always be a little bummed that we wasted two years of his eligibility on the "lost seasons" after Bobby got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.