Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No one has mentioned it much so I guess I'll say it...

Started by Beaverfever, November 21, 2009, 10:10:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaverfever

Marshawn Powell is already easily the best player on this team.  I knew he would be dominate but damn, the guy has the offensive game you just don't see from big men in college ball.   He is also much more athletic/quicker than I thought he was coming in.  I don't care what the stars said, this guy was a 5 star pickup and might end up saving Pel's job. 

heathtits

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 21, 2009, 10:10:53 am
Marshawn Powell is already easily the best player on this team.  I knew he would be dominate but damn, the guy has the offensive game you just don't see from big men in college ball.   He is also much more athletic/quicker than I thought he was coming in.  I don't care what the stars said, this guy was a 5 star pickup and might end up saving Pel's job. 

I'll agree he's good but after 3 games? How is this any different than saying we are totally hopeless 3 games in?

Weren't people saying the same about Michael Washington in pre-season last year pre SEC flop?

I'll wait till SEC play before I decide who is the "best of this lousy lot".

Beaverfever

Yeah 3 games in I don't care.  I said basically the same thing before any games had been played.  Watch him with the ball in his hands.  It's incredible.

Mr Burns

Agreed. He should be our #1 option on offense because he can create and get a shot off even against a double team. If he passes out of that very well at all we may finally start getting some other players good looks(Clarke). It could be even sweeter if Fortson comes back and can penetrate and dish to Powell, but at the same time if Fortson never comes back I'd be happier, lol. The big loser in all of this is Washington, I hope his ego can deal with it.

phadedhawg

Beaverfever

Quote from: Mr Burns on November 21, 2009, 10:16:19 am
Agreed. He should be our #1 option on offense because he can create and get a shot off even against a double team. If he passes out of that very well at all we may finally start getting some other players good looks(Clarke). It could be even sweeter if Fortson comes back and can penetrate and dish to Powell, but at the same time if Fortson never comes back I'd be happier, lol. The big loser in all of this is Washington, I hope his ego can deal with it.
I agree 100 percent.  I think he is our greatest asset.  We gotta start getting him used to getting the ball down low and then running the offense through that.  I think when you have a great scoring big man you have to run the ball through them on basically every half court possession.  When you gotta big man who can score at will and make great passes once he starts getting double teamed then you really have something. 

HawgAdvocate

Powell should not be the #1 option, not yet anyway.

We've still got to make the defense respect Rotnei and/or Washington. You're kidding yourselves if you think opposing coaches are just going to ignore our more seasoned scorers.

Once teams establish the fact that they're making anyone not name Rotnei or Washington win games for us, then we can let guys like Powell and Farmer make them pay.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Beaverfever

"Guys like Powell and Farmer".  "More seasoned scorers".  Guess we just have a difference of opinion.  Powell was twice the scorer Washington will ever be the second he stepped on campus. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 21, 2009, 10:29:38 am
"Guys like Powell and Farmer".  "More seasoned scorers".  Guess we just have a difference of opinion.  Powell was twice the scorer Washington will ever be the second he stepped on campus. 

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But Washington has shown he can score consistantly against SEC defenses. We've seen 3 games from Powell. Washington is a proven All-SEC performer. Those facts just don't go away.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

heathtits

I agree with HA. Powell still has to prove to me he can do it week in and week out against SEC teams against 2-3 guys deep each game with his size and athleticism.

I just want to see this Michael Washington rectal cranial inversion come to an end ASAP.

Beaverfever

Yeah Wash seems to be having an identity crisis as a basketball player so far this year. 

HawgAdvocate

And who knows, perhaps opposing teams will eventually adjust and start putting their better post defenders on Powell if Washington continues to play a supporting role. If we're playing against a M2M, we've got to take advantage of the matchups.

heathtits

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 21, 2009, 10:37:27 am
And who knows, perhaps opposing teams will eventually adjust and start putting their better post defenders on Powell if Washington continues to play a supporting role. If we're playing against a M2M, we've got to take advantage of the matchups.

If...Washington has learned to deal with double teams, that 1-2 combo down low could be nasty.

Hopes and dreams.

LRMedHawg

A better way to put it would have been...Marshawn Powell has played the best of all players on the team so far this year.  Although Clarke could have a beef with that.  I have been impressed with Powell and look forward to seeing what he can do as the year goes on.

ge-erdone

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 21, 2009, 10:31:24 am
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But Washington has shown he can score consistantly against SEC defenses. We've seen 3 games from Powell. Washington is a proven All-SEC performer. Those facts just don't go away.

Washington is doing great rebounding and guarding the basket close in.

heathtits

Quote from: ge-erdone on November 21, 2009, 09:23:44 pm
Washington is doing great rebounding and guarding the basket close in.

Doing great rebounding?

Remind me how many he had against Louisville.

Mr Burns

Even last year Washington was not someone you could count on. He'd have a huge game, then lay an egg, a couple of solid games, then vanish for a few game. It wasn't just how he was being played, he could step up against big talent, and vanish with a 6'5" guy playing him.

Powell can't go play center for us and do much, but at his position he's much more of a scorer than Washington at center, and it will still be that way come SEC time. Washington should be happy cleaning up the offensive glass from the weakside, being Fortsons bailout when he drives out of control to the hoop(if he ever comes back) and getting some plays run to him when there's mismatches. He'll have solid double double stats out of that. Or he can keep floating outside and clanking enough 3's for scouts to compile a nice lowlight reel. I wouldn't mind him outside if he understood it was only to bring the other teams big man out to clear things for other players, and given enough space he can take most big men off the dribble.

The_Iceman

if Washington's scoring is down this year, that doesn't necessarily mean we are worse off. If teams start focusing on him, that may allow guys like Powell and Farmer to go off.

it is going to be hard for teams in SEC play to play out on Clarke, play help defense on Mike, and account for Powell and Fortson if he comes back. Bobby Knight was right, we are not going to be an easy team to beat, despite was the idiotic Pel haters would say.

heathtits

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2009, 10:56:17 am
if Washington's scoring is down this year, that doesn't necessarily mean we are worse off. If teams start focusing on him, that may allow guys like Powell and Farmer to go off.

it is going to be hard for teams in SEC play to play out on Clarke, play help defense on Mike, and account for Powell and Fortson if he comes back. Bobby Knight was right, we are not going to be an easy team to beat, despite was the idiotic Pel haters would say.

I agree about his scoring but he HAS TO FREAKING REBOUND.

2 rebounds against a ranked team as a 6-9 senior is pathetic. Completely pitiful and no excuse.

If he was a soph or even a junior I may say "it was just a bad game" but he is a damn senior who was talking about going to the "league".

spahoopsfan

Washington played well early last year but all but disappeared in SEC play.  He will  be very lucky to ride the pine in the NBA next year.  My bet is he plays overseas.  Does not play tall underneath the basket, very inconsistent.

Blue35

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 21, 2009, 10:10:53 am
Marshawn Powell is already easily the best player on this team.  I knew he would be dominate but damn, the guy has the offensive game you just don't see from big men in college ball.   He is also much more athletic/quicker than I thought he was coming in.  I don't care what the stars said, this guy was a 5 star pickup and might end up saving Pel's job. 
Yes unless, Pel overcoaches and overmanages him.