Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My solution to Coach Pelphrey's Offense

Started by Dr. Starcs, November 21, 2009, 08:55:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

I am by no means pretending to be an expert, but I have had 10+ years of junior high/high school coaching experience.  I know what coaches go through and am definitely not one to be too critical of Coach Pelphrey.  He has accomplished far more than I have in his coaching career to get where he is today.  But something struck me last night and I really think it can be a threat for us this year.  So if you're reading this Coach Pelphrey ( ;D).....
We ran this late in the game (maybe overtime) I can't remember. But I loved Clarke with the ball in his hands at the top of the key and Powell setting a ball screen for him.  Powell's defender has to respect Clarkes shot and Pel had Powell pop off the screen.  Clarke was doubled and made a great pass to Powell for the 3.  I would stick Washington in the low post and keep him there. 
A lot of teams will run this set late in games or at the end of the shot clock, but I really think this could be a primary offensive set for us to be used the majority of the game.  I think that basketball is sometimes over analyzed and coaches have been known to out-think themselves.  This is simple, but it worked well last night. 

The_Iceman

HawgAdvocate

November 21, 2009, 10:15:06 am #2 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:18:07 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Nip/Tusk on November 21, 2009, 08:55:44 am
I am by no means pretending to be an expert, but I have had 10+ years of junior high/high school coaching experience.  I know what coaches go through and am definitely not one to be too critical of Coach Pelphrey.  He has accomplished far more than I have in his coaching career to get where he is today.  But something struck me last night and I really think it can be a threat for us this year.  So if you're reading this Coach Pelphrey ( ;D).....
We ran this late in the game (maybe overtime) I can't remember. But I loved Clarke with the ball in his hands at the top of the key and Powell setting a ball screen for him.  Powell's defender has to respect Clarkes shot and Pel had Powell pop off the screen.  Clarke was doubled and made a great pass to Powell for the 3.  I would stick Washington in the low post and keep him there. 
A lot of teams will run this set late in games or at the end of the shot clock, but I really think this could be a primary offensive set for us to be used the majority of the game.  I think that basketball is sometimes over analyzed and coaches have been known to out-think themselves.  This is simple, but it worked well last night. 

Doing this will always end up in Powell taking 3-pointers or keep Powell out of the paint (since stopping Rotnei is easily the priority), which is not something we want to have him make a habit of, especialy when we're undersized and he's one of (if not THE) best rebounders we have. Powell can shoot, but that's not our best scoring option by any stretch.

Running that a few times is fine, but it's like everything else. You've got to run it in moderation, else the defense will get comfortable defending it. Keeping other guys shooting will keep the defense balanced, so as not to totally lose one aspect of our offense. Teams are definitely adjusting when Rotnei is on the floor. As long as they overextend to keep him from shooting, our post players should continue to carry the scoring load. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

heathtits

Stop recruiting 1-3's that can't shoot.

That is the problem.

The Pig

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:18:15 am

That is the problem.

Once again you show your superior BB knowledge.

heathtits

Quote from: The Pig on November 21, 2009, 10:23:56 am
Once again you show your superior BB knowledge.

Umm can you refute my claim?

Who besides Rotnei has been an outside threat whatsoever? Farmer is 20% from behind the arc homer.

Before you try, don't even make me bring up 3pt shooting percentages of our suspendees.

HawgAdvocate

That is the problem.

There have been some great college PGs who weren't the best shooters (Kareem Reid, Jacque Vaughn, Rajon Rondo), but they were very good at other skills. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The Pig

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:27:51 am

Who besides Rotnei has been an outside threat whatsoever? Farmer is 20% from behind the arc homer.

Before you try, don't even make me bring up 3pt shooting percentages of our suspendees.

There are numerous teams that win without multiple prolific three point shooters.

I would contend that once we develop a consistent INSIDE game, the three's will drop with more regularity. But I'm sure you understand how offense vs. defense works and the roles that coaches game plans have in both.

That said, once Powell establishes himself fully and if Washington can regain his form, the outside will open up.

Now crawl back into your hole and come out when you know what your are talking about.

heathtits

November 21, 2009, 10:36:08 am #8 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:48:37 am by heathtits
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 21, 2009, 10:28:57 am
There have been some great college PGs who weren't the best shooters (Kareem Reid, Jacque Vaughn, Rajon Rondo), but they were very good at other skills. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Hence why I said 1-3's.

We have one player who is a legit outside threat.

You think that REALLY isn't a problem?

How many players did Louisville have who hit multiple three pointers?

heathtits

Quote from: The Pig on November 21, 2009, 10:32:02 am
There are numerous teams that win without multiple prolific three point shooters.

I would contend that once we develop a consistent INSIDE game, the three's will drop with more regularity. But I'm sure you understand how offense vs. defense works and the roles that coaches game plans have in both.

That said, once Powell establishes himself fully and if Washington can regain his form, the outside will open up.

Now crawl back into your hole and come out when you know what your are talking about.

Quit being such a bigot and chill out. Quit hanging on my shirt tail and trolling all my posts. I enjoy the passionate man crush but give it a rest.

Just as the inside game can open up the outside, the outside game can open the inside game with one on ones. Same as run game and pass game with football. It goes both ways.

As long as we have ONE player who can knock down the threes, Washington and Powell are going to get doubled up all day, thus the inside game is not "just magically" going to open up.

Tell me this Wooden, has Michael Washington EVER been able to consistently deal with a double team?

Again please point out anything inaccurate in my post directly rather than a petty "come back when you know what you're talking about".

Mason

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:27:51 am

Farmer has only taken five 3's so far. 1 of 5.  A little soon to judge his shooting credentials don't you think.
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

heathtits

Quote from: HogConscious on November 21, 2009, 10:41:03 am
Farmer has only taken five 3's so far. 1 of 5.  A little soon to judge his shooting credentials don't you think.

Exactly my point. Nobles has only taken 5. Pretty one dimensional if you ask me.

10 between two players who are playing 33+ minutes a game?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see teams playing "run and gun" without a few guys who can consistently hit outside shots.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:36:08 am
Hence why I said 1-3's.

We have one player how is a legit outside threat.

I agree it'd be great to have more guys who could shoot 40+% from outside AND still put the ball on the floor AND defend...hopefully guys like Drake Wade, Rickey Scott, Adonis Thomas, Aaron Ross, Ky Madden, and M. Waithe can do that.

I know Farmer, Rotnei, Fortson, Welsh, Nobles, and Britt can do 2 of the 3 very well. The wings/guards should get more comfortable with their skill sets as the season progresses.

heathtits

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 21, 2009, 10:44:27 am
I agree it'd be great to have more guys who could shoot 40+% from outside AND still put the ball on the floor AND defend...hopefully guys like Drake Wade, Rickey Scott, Adonis Thomas, Aaron Ross, Ky Madden, and M. Waithe can do that.

I know Farmer, Rotnei, Fortson, Welsh, Nobles, and Britt can do 2 of the 3 very well. The wings/guards should get more comfortable with their skill sets as the season progresses.

Hell 35% from behind the arc would be a massive improvement for the afore mentioned.

The Pig

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:38:47 am
Quit being such a bigot and chill out. Quit hanging on my shirt tail and trolling all my posts. I enjoy the passionate man crush but give it a rest.

Just as the inside game can open up the outside, the outside game can open the inside game with one on ones. Same as run game and pass game with football. It goes both ways.

As long as we have ONE player who can knock down the threes, Washington and Powell are going to get doubled up all day, thus the inside game is not "just magically" going to open up.

Tell me this Wooden, has Michael Washington EVER been able to consistently deal with a double team?

Again please point out anything inaccurate in my post directly rather than a petty "come back when you know what you're talking about".

Bigot? Where does that fit in? As for trolling your posts...you flatter yourself, I am reading threads and continually encounter your negative posts and choose to counter your opinions. Not sure why you have a liscense to be a smart ass but others don't.

As for your comments, Rotnei is being hounded by defenses because they recognize him as the greatest threat. Once that perception has been altered, he will be easier to screen for and get open as will others on the perimeter. We must develop an inside threat for our outside game to open up. The opposite can also be true but that is not the type of players we have so we are in a position that demands we continue to develop our inside game.

Mason

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:43:37 am
Exactly my point. Nobles has only taken 5. Pretty one dimensional if you ask me.

10 between two players who are playing 33+ minutes a game?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see teams playing "run and gun" without a few guys who can consistently hit outside shots.

So is it the scheme or the recruiting? Help me understand.

From what I can tell, we have arguably the best shooter in the country and he has taken the bulk of our 3's. Seems logical.  It also seems that we have some current and future players who fit the 1-3 slot who can shoot.

You know how many 3's Corey Beck shot in '94? 
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

heathtits

Quote from: The Pig on November 21, 2009, 10:52:56 am
for your comments, Rotnei is being hounded by defenses because they recognize him as the greatest threat. Once that perception has been altered, he will be easier to screen for and get open as will others on the perimeter. We must develop an inside threat for our outside game to open up. The opposite can also be true but that is not the type of players we have so we are in a position that demands we continue to develop our inside game.

That is a sensible way to put it and I agree. How hard was that rather than say I know "nothing" or whatever?

Me a Smart ass? Yes but I'm not going around telling other people "they don't know what they are talking about" when I clearly made a valid point.

The way you put it is accurate, but me saying we didn't have 1-3's who could shoot last year and that none besides Rotnei have shown they can this year, is a fact.

Unless you are some sort of coach, and unless I said something truly ridiculous (which as most know, I have in the past) why flex nuts regarding Xs and Os when none of us are or ever will be anything beyond coaching our sons or daughters.

heathtits

Quote from: HogConscious on November 21, 2009, 10:57:11 am

From what I can tell, we have arguably the best shooter in the country and he has taken the bulk of our 3's. Seems logical.  It also seems that we have some current and future players who fit the 1-3 slot who can shoot.

At what point did I say we need the PG to be able to shoot? We need more than ONE SINGLE PLAYER that can hit 35%+ from behind the arc. =Whether it is a 1, 2 or 3 I don't care, but someone has to step up besides Rotnei.

You know how many players the 94 team had shooting over 35% from behind the arc? Like 5.

Thurman, Dillard, Stewart, Davor and McDaniel.

Nip/Tusk, as in nearly every sport, a good coach finds a way to find your weakness and exploit it or make a weakness for you and exploit it.  If Pwell can hit the longer ball, he will demand a defender on that play and Clarke and he both will have one on one and there may be a mismatch or it may open something up for someone else.  Of course, for the first few times its run, Powell will be open every time.  As you know, the best way to get a particular player open is to have others on the team that the defense cannot afford to ignore.  Pel doesn't seem to know various ways to get any player open or prehaps he just doesn't believe he can expend the team energy to move that much on offense.  Every good coach I have ever seen in any sport finds ways to get his best on your worst.  Clarke will always need a bit of help getting the open shot because he is short and not quite as quick as many who guard him.  When he rushes the shot, he misses.  When he is open like we leave many perimeter players, he would be 80 percent.  The trick is to get him open or use so much of the other teams defense stopping him that another player is wide open.

Brass Knob

Quote from: HogConscious on November 21, 2009, 10:57:11 am

It is scheme and recruiting.  You are right that it is logical for the best shooter on your team to take the majority of shots. The problem with that is when you only have one player who is a consistent shooter like we have.  Teams can key on Clarke, as App State did, and limit his shots.  I believe he only got 6 shots off against them in an OT game. You have to have more than one shooter to stretch the defense and not be able to key on only one player.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Nip/Tusk on November 21, 2009, 08:55:44 am

Why do I have an urge to sing "Oh Canada" after reading your post about a dozen times?

stronguard

Well, for once I agree with the critics.

STANLEYtits hit the nail on the head.  We need more 1-3's that can shoot the rock.  We can only hope that our wayward perimeter threats find the inner peace that will grant them another opportunity to use thier God given gifts in the pursuit of Razorback victories. 

I'm not claiming that these two are Larry Bird and Reggie Miller incarnate.  But whatever outside game they bring to the table can only help get some folks out of Rotnei's grill.

Pel's handling of this situation (the lack of multiple shooters) will speak volumes about his ability to adjust as a coach.  IMO he has shown he can do it, as evidenced by taking a big plodding team, that in no way played his prefered style, and taking them to the 2nd rd of the NCAA's.  We'll see what he can do this year.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

razorbackfan

Quote from: heathtits on November 21, 2009, 10:36:08 am
Hence why I said 1-3's.

We have one player who is a legit outside threat.

How many does Kentucky have that can shoot 3's?  Dodson is about it.  There are teams that do & teams that don't.

Blue35

That is the problem.
And then the coach with the red hair suspends them. Not good.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Blue35 on November 23, 2009, 09:09:15 am
And then the coach with the red hair suspends them. Not good.

And then message board posters who don't know anything about how the suspensions were dished out have diarrhea of the keyboard.

Brass Knob

Quote from: razorbackfan on November 23, 2009, 01:37:49 am
How many does Kentucky have that can shoot 3's?  Dodson is about it.  There are teams that do & teams that don't.

No way in the world you can compare Kentucky's roster with ours.  They are far more talented and almost every player on that team can create their own shot. I am not sure we have anyone who can consistently create their own shot. And Wall, Hood,and Bledsoe (sp?) would all easily be the second best shooters on our team.