Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Coach Pelphrey can get Ricardo Ratliffe-The Future Looks Very, Very Bright

Started by GoHogs1091, November 20, 2009, 12:01:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

If Coach Pelphrey can land Ricardo Ratliffe, the future looks very, very bright for the Basketball Team.  Taking into account Ratliffe, the below is what a possible Starting 5 for next Season looks like:

Ricardo Ratliffe
Marvell Waithe
Marshawn Powell
Rotnei Clarke
Courtney Fortson or Julysses Nobles

The above Starting 5 would cause opponents a lot of problems.  Opposing Teams would have a lot of difficulty defending the above Starting 5, particularly as it relates to Ricardo Ratliffe.  There may be no one in the country in College Basketball that can stop/defend Ricardo Ratliffe.  If Coach Pelphrey lands Ricardo Ratliffe, there is a very good chance that Ricardo Ratliffe becomes the greatest Razorback Basketball player of all-time (even with just 2 Seasons of eligibility available).   

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: GoHogs1091
Ricardo Ratliffe
Marvell Waithe
Marshawn Powell
Rotnei Clarke
Courtney Fortson or Julysses Nobles

Can't wait to see what the next coach can do with them! (minus Fortson, of course)
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

athunt

By the future you mean the next 2 years?

We will have 2 big men for 2 years, after that we are back to freshmen and sophomore big men.  Im sorry, but I really feel we need Shawn Kemp Jr. over another JUCO guy who will be gone in 2 years.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on November 20, 2009, 12:04:09 am
Can't wait to see what the next coach can do with them! (minus Fortson, of course)

This is one of the reasons Ratliffe is waiting until Spring to sign.  Also, there is a certain player on the team, who has been heard saying if Pel & Ostrum go, there's a very real possibility he would do the same...

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: athunt on November 20, 2009, 12:09:33 am

We will have 2 big men for 2 years, after that we are back to freshmen and sophomore big men.  Im sorry, but I really feel we need Shawn Kemp Jr. over another JUCO guy who will be gone in 2 years.

Kemp is signed, sealed & delivered to Auburn...

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on November 20, 2009, 12:10:12 am
This is one of the reasons Ratliffe is waiting until Spring to sign.  Also, there is a certain player on the team, who has been heard saying if Pel & Ostrum go, there's a very real possibility he would do the same...

Oh man, I gotta hear this one...

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

GoHogs1091

Ricardo Ratliffe is ranked the #1 Junior College Player in the Country.  Ratliffe is a JUCO All-American, and Ratliffe is a candidate for JUCO National Player of the Year.  The below are stats for Ricardo Ratliffe from a recent game:

40 Points
Made 17 of 23 Shots
19 Rebounds

athunt

"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

athunt

My guess is Rotnei.
-Reggie Johnson

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: athunt on November 20, 2009, 12:32:30 am
My guess is Rotnei.

You would be correct. Letting Pel go when we have Welsh (and most likely Fortson) leaving would be a major mistake, especially if we have all this talent coming in.

It's natural progression. Not every damn team makes it to the Final Four in 3 years.

The risk of firing Pel isn't worth losing the reward of years of groundwork made in recruting.

If we have less than 17 wins, that may be another story. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Lando Calrissian

woopigsooie89

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on November 20, 2009, 12:56:20 am
This forum gives me much pleasure.

For some reason that doesn't surprise me.. Surely not an inconsiderate comment.. Shocking.

G-HOG

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 20, 2009, 12:35:48 am
You would be correct. Letting Pel go when we have Welsh (and most likely Fortson) leaving would be a major mistake, especially if we have all this talent coming in.

It's natural progression. Not every damn team makes it to the Final Four in 3 years.

The risk of firing Pel isn't worth losing the reward of years of groundwork made in recruting.

If we have less than 17 wins, that may be another story. 

You are basing your comments on assumptions.If we get this recruit or if we get that recruit does not cut it.If we have another bad year maybe none of them will come.

Look, I am an older fan and was spoiled by the success of Eddie Sutton and Nolan. I walked into Vegas before the start of the 94 season and wanted to bet big money that Arkansas would win the National Championship, no one would take my bet, no one!!! Can you even begin to realize the frustration some of us have with our BB program?

woopigsooie89

Quote from: G-HOG on November 20, 2009, 01:35:55 am
You are basing your comments on assumptions.If we get this recruit or if we get that recruit does not cut it.If we have another bad year maybe none of them will come.

Look, I am an older fan and was spoiled by the success of Eddie Sutton and Nolan. I walked into Vegas before the start of the 94 season and wanted to bet big money that Arkansas would win the National Championship, no one would take my bet, no one!!! Can you even begin to realize the frustration some of us have with our BB program?

3 of the 4 recruits we will sign have already signed on the dotted line.. That is not assumption.

Lando Calrissian

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: athunt on November 20, 2009, 12:09:33 am

God that makes me feel old. I still remember Shawn Kemp playing for the Sonics.

G-HOG

Quote from: woopigsooie89 on November 20, 2009, 01:38:10 am
3 of the 4 recruits we will sign have already signed on the dotted line.. That is not assumption.

You don't get it do you? How many of those are top recruits? Top 150? 1? Dream on my man,dream on!

One more question, has it gotten better in the last two years?

woopigsooie89

Quote from: G-HOG on November 20, 2009, 01:53:14 am
You don't get it do you? How many of those are top recruits? Top 150? 1? Dream on my man,dream on!

Oh trust me, I get it.. They are all top recruits in my book because they chose to come to the University of Arkansas despite the blind fans such as yourself. And 2 of the 3 signed are top 150 smart one, and the other is a Juco that shoots 40% 3 pointers. Scott is top 75 and Wade is 103. Not to mention the 2011 class.. Take a look sometime, it may do you some good to take off the doom and gloom glasses.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4

And for the next question, did you expect it to get better when we hired a coach that was going to lose 6 seniors after his first year?

We are in the progress stages right now, but we had to regress first. Help is on its way whether you want it to or not.

If Pel is fired after this year and we hire someone else, I will support him and his players through thick and thin as well.. Crazy concept, I know.

G-HOG

Quote from: woopigsooie89 on November 20, 2009, 02:14:52 am
Oh trust me, I get it.. They are all top recruits in my book because they chose to come to the University of Arkansas despite the blind fans such as yourself. And 2 of the 3 signed are top 150 smart one, and the other is a Juco that shoots 40% 3 pointers. Scott is top 75 and Wade is 103. Not to mention the 2011 class.. Take a look sometime, it may do you some good to take off the doom and gloom glasses.

And for the next question, did you expect it to get better when we hired a coach that was going to lose 6 seniors after his first year?

We are in the progress stages right now, but we had to regress first. Help is on its way whether you want it to or not.

If Pel is fired after this year and we hire someone else, I will support him and his players through thick and thin as well.. Crazy concept, I know.

Don't ever question my support of our BB team! I just don't put up with medorocricy! It has not gotten better the last two years and that is on Pel! It has turned into a circus!!! He recruited the problems and that is a question of leadership abilities to me.

I have been laying low for a long time, but IMHO, he is in over his head.I hope I am wrong but don't call me blind!We all have different opinions but at least I don't resort to telling someone they are wrong for voicing their views.

Thank the lord above that in 2011 Arkansas can produce difference makers for our program!

woopigsooie89

Where did I question your support? Please show me. I only stated that you are only seeing what you want to see..

The_Iceman

i agree that firing Pel would not be worth it. He is building a good program here and if we hiring a new coach we would be set back another 2-3 years.

The Boar War

Wasn't it DMac that said something along those lines?

The Pig

Quote from: G-HOG on November 20, 2009, 01:35:55 am

You walked int VEGAS and NO ONE would take your bet????  Hmmm, I smell an exaggeration!

sshawg

Two of those who have already signed are 4 stars.  The other one is a 3 * , but should have been a 4 * & may be before its over.  Thats not counting Ratliffe & the triplets from arkansas that's on for 2011.  Help is on its way...

Rotnei's dad post on here, and he's on record as saying, if Pel goes, Rotnie goes.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: G-HOG on November 20, 2009, 02:32:51 am
Don't ever question my support of our BB team! I just don't put up with medorocricy! It has not gotten better the last two years and that is on Pel! It has turned into a circus!!! He recruited the problems and that is a question of leadership abilities to me.

I have been laying low for a long time, but IMHO, he is in over his head.I hope I am wrong but don't call me blind!We all have different opinions but at least I don't resort to telling someone they are wrong for voicing their views.

Thank the lord above that in 2011 Arkansas can produce difference makers for our program!

No follow up comment on the revalation that we do indeed have top 150 players? Shocking.

Waithe, our JUCO, is rated as the #4 JUCO in the country. Ratliffe is #1. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the problems are on the way out and the talent is improving.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Ftsmithmike

Then let Rot go. I like the kid and if Pel could have recruited more like him we would not be having this discussion. But he aint running §#¡+ around here. The fact his dad would post something like that makes me think that bunch may not be who we thought they were.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

WhiteHairedDevil

If we get Ratliffe then what? Is there anyone on the staff that can develop him? Wait! maybe we can bring in Lenny Wilkins to help or some other Hall of Fame coach. Because we sure as heck don't have anyone on this staff than can develop players. Aka Houston Nutt.

G-HOG

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 20, 2009, 10:41:43 am
No follow up comment on the revalation that we do indeed have top 150 players? Shocking.

Waithe, our JUCO, is rated as the #4 JUCO in the country. Ratliffe is #1. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the problems are on the way out and the talent is improving.

Comment wasn't left out on purpose, my bad and I apologize!
I am happy about Waithe and I hope we get Ratliffe too.

Table Rocker

Oh so now not only Pel should go, but Rotnei too? Why doesn't the whole damn team just leave, we'll just hold tryouts at the HPER. Man we have some awesome fans.

Ftsmithmike

Whine like a little drama queen.

Noone said Rot should go. I said a 19 year old athlete has no business trying to hold a program hostage with threats of taking his ball and leaving. If he thinks he can dictate who the HC of the team should be he is not the man I thought he was. And when Pel gets darn canned I wont miss Rot one bit.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

ua_hogs

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on November 20, 2009, 11:33:42 am

Noone said Rot should go. I said a 19 year old athlete has no business trying to hold a program hostage with threats of taking his ball and leaving. If he thinks he can dictate who the HC of the team should be he is not the man I thought he was. And when Pel gets crap canned I wont miss Rot one bit.

Can we crap can you? 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on November 20, 2009, 11:01:53 am
If we get Ratliffe then what? Is there anyone on the staff that can develop him? Wait! maybe we can bring in Lenny Wilkins to help or some other Hall of Fame coach. Because we sure as heck don't have anyone on this staff than can develop players. Aka Houston Nutt.

Ricardo Ratliffe won't need much development, if any.  Ratliffe is that good.  Ricardo Ratliffe is most likely the best player to come out of Junior College since Larry Johnson.  Everyone remembers just how good Larry Johnson was.  Larry Johnson was a very difficult match up for opposing teams.

Remember, during the Arkansas/UNLV game up at Barnhill Arena, Larry Johnson made the following statement to Nolan Richardson:

"You better get you some men."

Ftsmithmike

Some of you need to stop breastfeeding off of every coach to wear a hog hat. They are not bigger that the program. Weak minded hero worship is a hallmark of the Razorback fan base. We as a fan base need to take off the Nolan, Nutt, Malzahn, Heath, Petrino, Pelphry pajamas and burn them. Then go out and buy some Razorback Pajamas.

Hogimus Prime

Noone said Rot should go. I said a 19 year old athlete has no business trying to hold a program hostage with threats of taking his ball and leaving. If he thinks he can dictate who the HC of the team should be he is not the man I thought he was. And when Pel gets crap canned I wont miss Rot one bit.

I wouldn't say Rotnei is trying to dictate anything.   He came here cause of Pel.   If Pel goes then he has no reason to stay.

Pel didn't walk into a very good situation when he was hired.   Between the graduation rates of the Heath's last couple of years and the risk Pel took on some players things haven't started too great.    I'm still optimistic about the season.  It's only two games in, so who knows.    We have a good core group of players in Washington, Clarke, Powell, Nobles and Farmer with Johnson, Bryant and Britt and Welsh being good bench support.

thirtythree

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on November 20, 2009, 11:46:44 am
Some of you need to stop breastfeeding off of every coach to wear a hog hat. They are not bigger that the program. Weak minded hero worship is a hallmark of the Razorback fan base. We as a fan base need to take off the Nolan, Nutt, Malzahn, Heath, Petrino, Pelphry pajamas and burn them. Then go out and buy some Razorback Pajamas.

Amazing!

PorkRyan

Don't get too excited over Juco players.  Over the last 10 years the majority of those guys in the top 20 never amount to much.  There are some that turn out well but most don't.  Last season the #1 Juco player was a 3 star so that means he is equal to signing the #150 kid out of High School.  Most of the teams that are recruiting Juco players are the mid tier schools like Texas Tech, Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, K-State, etc.  There are exceptions, such as the year Kansas signed the only two 4 star Juco players in the country, but for the most part they are mid tier talents going to mid tier programs.  For example, guess who is the #5 JUCO player this year?  Andre Clark.

sirhog

If we get Ratliffe, then look out. I am very pleased with the 3 guys that we have coming in already. 2 of them are great defensive players that can play the 1 or 2 which we really need. They are both decent to good shooters. The 3rd guy is 6'9" that can play the 2 and shoots 40% from behind the arc. I don't know how you can't get excited about this class. Easily one of the best we signed in a long time. If we add Ratliffe probably our best (on paper) since Hood, Bradley, Towns, Hall, and etc. (Reid played first year with those guys but was signed in 94)

Smokehouse

I would miss Rot. Just sayin'.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

thirtythree

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 20, 2009, 12:21:14 pm

I would too. Rot is a quality kid and busts his tail for this team. Seems strange that the ones griping about the "chracter problems" would be so quick to dismiss him if he would leave if CJP does as well.

hogfan x

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 20, 2009, 12:21:14 pm

Most of us would, but that should have no bearing on whether or not we retain Pel. 
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

Table Rocker

So Rotnei is trying to dictate who the coach is? You do realize sometimes players leave if the coach that recruited them leaves correct? Also, how does any of this have to with coach worship? Supporting a coach doesn't mean you 'worship' them.Sounds like someone is jealous of said coaches.

Reekinhavoc

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WhiteHairedDevil on November 20, 2009, 11:01:53 am

Really? Cause I've been very impressed with how much Washington has improved in Pel's time here, as well as Rotnei's. Welsh and Britt's defense has really improved over time. Everyone else is still a qusetion mark at this point.

HawgAdvocate

Wow, where do you guys come up with this stuff?!? I know it's Friday, but jeez...

razorbackfan

Quote from: G-HOG on November 20, 2009, 02:32:51 am

I think he was mostly just questioning your knowledge of what you were posting, which as he has shown wasn't much.

razorbackfan

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on November 20, 2009, 10:54:36 am
Then let Rot go. I like the kid and if Pel could have recruited more like him we would not be having this discussion. But he aint running §#¡+ around here. The fact his dad would post something like that makes me think that bunch may not be who we thought they were.

Obviously you are a _____.  Just b/c the kid says he will leave if the coach leaves doesn't mean he's trying to hold the program hostage.  From what I know of Rotnei, he is twice as class a guy as you will ever think about being.  Maybe all of you morons should ask yourself if all of the crap you have been saying about this staff is true, why would a kid, who Pel never tries to get the ball to, whose coach favors the troubled kids, who coach has no control over those kids, why would this kid have that kind of loyalty to that coach?  But I am sure you guys out there in computerland have got a total grasp on the situation. 

chiefsfan

No one is going to sign a top 150 player at Arkansas until the program gets back to a higher level.   the only exception would be the Arkansas recruits.   Top 150 players either need a guy like a John Calipari as a coach who has well known NBA connections, or they are going to a school where they will get the best exposure

Arkansas has had less then 10 nationally televised games in the last 2 years combined

its sort of like football.  How many out of state top 100 football players have signed with Arkansas in the last 10 years?   I bet I could count them on one hand
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Smokehouse

Quote from: chiefsfan on November 20, 2009, 01:46:44 pm
No one is going to sign a top 150 player at Arkansas until the program gets back to a higher level.   the only exception would be the Arkansas recruits.   Top 150 players either need a guy like a John Calipari as a coach who has well known NBA connections, or they are going to a school where they will get the best exposure

Arkansas has had less then 10 nationally televised games in the last 2 years combined

its sort of like football.  How many out of state top 100 football players have signed with Arkansas in the last 10 years?   I bet I could count them on one hand

Quote from: woopigsooie89 on November 20, 2009, 02:14:52 am

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.