Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BWA Attendance from 1993 to Date

Started by WilsonHog, November 19, 2009, 08:53:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

November 19, 2009, 08:53:10 pm Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:54:54 pm by WilsonHog
These numbers are from the 2008-09 media guide (be nice if I could get my copy of this year's guide in the mail):

Total crowds of 20,000 or more in BWA, by year:

1993 - 5
1994 - 14
1995 - 13
1996 - 4
1997 - 5
1998 - 6
1999 - 7
2000 - 0
2001 - 2
2002 - 0
2003 - 0
2004 - 0
2005 - 1
2006 - 0
2007 - 0

HawgAdvocate

It's been a long, downward spiral.

All we can do is keep supporting the team, and let the coaches and the administration handle everything else.

Peaks and valleys.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Porkem

Jeff Long already has these stats in hand to show Pelphrey at the end of the year.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

mathhog

Also take note of the "0" in 2000, the "2" in 2001 (likely from joe johnson), and the "0" in 2002 --

----those were alllll during the final three years of Nolan.

"Coincidentally", those three years were the tenure of Mike Anderson being the defacto in-game head coach, and were the last three years of Mike A being the lead recruiter that brought in Gomez, Gipson, Lane, Satchell, etc.

Interesting coincidence!!!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Please, tell me what Pelphrey has done to cause those numbers? 

This problem started in the year 2000. 

The Boar War

Quote from: mathhog on November 19, 2009, 09:30:10 pm
Also take note of the "0" in 2000, the "2" in 2001 (likely from joe johnson), and the "0" in 2002 --

----those were alllll during the final three years of Nolan.

"Coincidentally", those three years were the tenure of Mike Anderson being the defacto in-game head coach, and were the last three years of Mike A being the lead recruiter that brought in Gomez, Gipson, Lane, Satchell, etc.

Interesting coincidence!!!

So Mike Anderson is only responsible for the bad numbers in 2000 and 2002 and not the good numbers in 2001.

mathhog

Also BTW, i bet you a million dollars the 2005 20k game was the game against Kentucky

That's truly one of those "mr destiny"-type "what coulda happened!" moments for arkansas basketball history.

Eric Ferguson missed a game-winning 3ptr, it rimmed out of the hoop as the buzzer sounded.  We lost to KY by a point.  The demgaz headline said something liek "so close...." which summed up stan's career.  we were 1 big win away from the NCAA's that year, in stan's 3rd year.  we win that game against KY, we probably beat auburn in the letdown game the last one of the season, and finish at 8-8, 20-10 heading to the tourney.   We get a 10 or 11 seed, maybe steal a win, and get some preseason votes heaeding to 2006.  Recruiting goes up, and we dont need the miracle streak just to draw bucknell.  without the evil 8 seed, we likely move up in the 06 tourney and win a few in what experts called one of the weakest field EVAH (the 'george mason' year), and head into 07 brewer-less but confident.  a few more road wins are picked up, and we dont lose to georgia on that buzzer beating shot, and go to the tourney again in 2007 - 3 years in a row.

OH WHAT COULDA BEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mathhog

Quote from: The Boar War on November 19, 2009, 09:33:12 pm
So Mike Anderson is only responsible for the bad numbers in 2000 and 2002 and not the good numbers in 2001.

ok, congrats to mike on getting 2 crowds of 20k in 2001.

hip hip hooray.

we also won 0 ncaa's in that stretch, and had 2 losing sec seasons, and made the tourney once as an atlarge (and once as the secT winner).

glory years.

look, i dont DISlike mike -- im just saying, been there, done that.

everyone one here assumes we started failing in 2002.  but, as wilson showed, it's been a LOOOONG decline. 

it's been downhill ever since the pate/adebayo screwing by the ncaa in 1996.  that includes SIX SEASONS of nolan. 

no one seems to remember that, everyone thinks we were all-america until nolan ranteed about slave ships.  it happened WAAY before 2002

Marshfieldhog

Just because I don't think pel is going to work doesn't mean go hire mike..he would be on down the list with me

3kgthog

You won't see another 20k crowd since they jacked up ticket prices. It won't happen even if we pull off some kind of miracle season.

mathhog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 19, 2009, 09:42:51 pm
Just because I don't think pel is going to work doesn't mean go hire mike..he would be on down the list with me

as would i

but jeff long LOOOOVES mike.  he has a schoolgirl crush on him, because long wasn't here from 1997-2002.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 19, 2009, 09:43:05 pm
You won't see another 20k crowd since they jacked up ticket prices. It won't happen even if we pull off some kind of miracle season.

It has nothing to do with ticket prices.  They are still reasonable.  Guess what man, inflation happens.  I buy pretty much the same groceries every single week.  In 2000, it cost me about $30.  Now, it costs me about $36-40 per week.  I buy the same crap now as I did almost 10 years ago (gulp). 

BWA will sell out consistently again once the product gets better.  We're still a very knowledgeable fan base (mostly) when it comes to basketball.  Arkansas fans will show up when it's time to show up. 

razorbackfan

Attendance is down all over.  Of course, this season remains to be seen, but Arkansas was #8 in the nation in attendance Pel's 1st year & #11 last season.  This followed 2 straight years at no better than #25.

Brass Knob

Quote from: razorbackfan on November 19, 2009, 10:15:02 pm
Attendance is down all over.  Of course, this season remains to be seen, but Arkansas was #8 in the nation in attendance Pel's 1st year & #11 last season.  This followed 2 straight years at no better than #25.

Haha... Not for the schools that are winning consistently... I live in Memphis and they have no problem selling out the Forum consistently against avg teams.  Even when they play scrubs they have 15K in the stands, just like every other school that wins.  I guarantee you there is a very strong relationship between winning and attendance. 

donewithdale

Quote from: razorbackfan on November 19, 2009, 10:15:02 pm

You are correct.  College basketball has been declining for a decade or more.

Samples of stories written about last season:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-03-12-attendances-down_N.htm

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041509aaa.html
http://bigskyconference.blogspot.com/2009/05/look-at-mens-basketball-attendance.html

Our attendance likely would be an exception if we were winning.

razorbackfan

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 19, 2009, 11:01:54 pm
Haha... Not for the schools that are winning consistently... I live in Memphis and they have no problem selling out the Forum consistently against avg teams.  Even when they play scrubs they have 15K in the stands, just like every other school that wins.  I guarantee you there is a very strong relationship between winning and attendance.

Memphis was #10 in 2008 (averaging 400 less than Arkansas) & #8 in 2009 (900 more than Arkansas).  Memphis won 30+ games both years?

Brass Knob

The forum only holds 18,000... So an average attendance of 17,000 is pretty close to sold out.  And likewise look, the more they win the higher the attendance every year. 

akahogfan

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 19, 2009, 11:27:22 pm
The forum only holds 18,000... So an average attendance of 17,000 is pretty close to sold out.  And likewise look, the more they win the higher the attendance every year.

Memphis also has a hell of a lot more people than the entire NWA metro.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: akafish77 on November 19, 2009, 11:45:54 pm
Memphis also has a hell of a lot more people than the entire NWA metro.

Yeah, there is that.

want2be

I miss Barnhill.........It was intimidating to all opponents,.... but moving forward...Mr. Long has his hands full of what to do to encourage the fans that there is a reason to believe....In the meantime the revenue continues to dissipate. If Walton Arena can bring in $10 million per year, it is not hard to figure out that surgery is better than a bandaid.

ua_hogs

We were close against OU last year with 19,600.  19,000 against Texas.  Both were amazing crowds, hard to believe they weren't over 20k.

DoubleJ

Quote from: mathhog on November 19, 2009, 09:36:52 pm
ok, congrats to mike on getting 2 crowds of 20k in 2001.

hip hip hooray.

we also won 0 ncaa's in that stretch, and had 2 losing sec seasons, and made the tourney once as an atlarge (and once as the secT winner).

glory years.

look, i dont DISlike mike -- im just saying, been there, done that.

everyone one here assumes we started failing in 2002.  but, as wilson showed, it's been a LOOOONG decline. 

it's been downhill ever since the pate/adebayo screwing by the ncaa in 1996.  that includes SIX SEASONS of nolan. 

no one seems to remember that, everyone thinks we were all-america until nolan ranteed about slave ships.  it happened WAAY before 2002

And Nolan has 3 final four appearances and a national title.  However, one thing he does not have is a 2-win season in conference play.