Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No depth or not and the suspensions or not...

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 18, 2009, 11:06:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on November 18, 2009, 11:01:27 pm
That's one way of looking at it. The other is that those problems ruined their chemistry. Their coach left, the guys didn't get along, a lot of bad stuff happening there. You try and play basketball with all that going on. Of course, there is no convincing the Pro-Pel crowd that he isn't the 1996 Rick Pitino, they've made their mind up.

Here's the link in case you forgot

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3777010

Advocate, I for one am looking forward to going back and forth with you again this year on here. Don't get me wrong, I hope we win 18-23 games, make the NCAA and I end up with egg on my face. I just don't see it.

Likewise PoormansRH, but is it not true though that our team, at that time ,was not known for it's chemistry and guys getting along? This crew had many closed door, heart to hearts to try and get on the same page.

Remember the big hoopla made over when Hill came to Ervin's defense during the Misissippi St. game.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: LRMedHawg on November 18, 2009, 11:04:19 pm
Off the court stuff can neutralize a lot of talent.  Just look at the Hogs last year.  Essentially the same talent that beat Texas and Oklahoma (minus one Marcus Monk for BS reasons which doesn't fall on Pel) stuttered to that horrible finish.

That's very vague, and two totally different set of circumstances. Indiana had a lot of talent, and returning vets that took them to the big dance after winning a few good games after Sampson was fired.

We had a brand new team with no identity, that hadn't played together ever.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

tconey1

I cant believe people are arguing over 2 and 14 or 2 and 15! Idiots!

Brass Knob

Quote from: tconey1 on November 19, 2009, 11:07:40 am
I cant believe people are arguing over 2 and 14 or 2 and 15! Idiots!

Come on man that changes the winning percentage from .1333 to .1429. Big difference of .0096.

Pork Twain

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 18, 2009, 09:04:45 pm
Let me ask a question, Stewie.

First, I agree with your post.

Now...would having Fortson or Welsh help Pel achieve that or hurt him?
If they come back and get in line with what he wants from them, then they help.  Kicking every player off of the team that has issues is not currently a viable solution thanks to the APR hole we are in.  We need the players we currently have on our team, to graduate.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: Lanny on November 18, 2009, 09:15:03 pm
It doesn't take long to rebuild a Basketball program. 
I guess if that is the case then you probably have lots of examples on hand.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 19, 2009, 12:05:06 pm
Come on man that changes the winning percentage from .1333 to .1429. Big difference of .0096.
The real point is that the facts were bad enough, you don't really need to make up stuff to make it worse.  Just makes you look sad and pathetic.

Brass Knob

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 19, 2009, 12:45:57 pm
The real point is that the facts were bad enough, you don't really need to make up stuff to make it worse.  Just makes you look sad and pathetic.

I realize what they debating about I just find it humorous they arguing over whether the team lost 14 or 15 SEC games.  Does not change the fact that we only won 2. 

BigHog396

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 19, 2009, 06:38:04 pm
I realize what they debating about I just find it humorous they arguing over whether the team lost 14 or 15 SEC games.  Does not change the fact that we only won 2. 
I'm not arguing over anything.  It's a simple fact that we lost 14 games in conference play last year.  It is absolutely pitiful either way, I just get tired of people making things up in a futile attempt to strengthen their arguments.  Like you said, we only won 2.

LRMedHawg

Quote from: BigHog396 on November 19, 2009, 07:07:33 pm
I'm not arguing over anything.  It's a simple fact that we lost 14 games in conference play last year.  It is absolutely pitiful either way, I just get tired of people making things up in a futile attempt to strengthen their arguments.  Like you said, we only won 2.

Me neither, we are just contending in a written disagreement, but that's not an argument. 

So ha, now we can argue over whether or not we are arguing.

ge-erdone

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 18, 2009, 11:24:36 pm
Seriously though, is 2-14 any better than 2-15?  It is all the same.  We absolutely sucked last year and that is the point.

I believe our record last year was 14-16, including beating Texas and Oklahoma.

Brass Knob

Quote from: ge-erdone on November 19, 2009, 11:07:56 pm
I believe our record last year was 14-16, including beating Texas and Oklahoma.

Congrats to us, a sub .500 season.  That does not change the fact our SEC record was 2-14 including wins over Alabama and Georgia and nobody else.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 19, 2009, 11:17:10 pm
Congrats to us, a sub .500 season.  That does not change the fact our SEC record was 2-14 including wins over Alabama and Georgia and nobody else.

last year was a tough season, no one is denying that.

Pelphrey has to replace over 90% over EVERY STATISTICAL CATEGORY! Thats insane people.

His team for most of the year last year only went about 7 deep: Fortson, Clarke, Welsh, Britt, Sanchez, Washington, and Moore (Clark didn't play that much).

How much better could you have done playing with 3 guards under 6'3". a redshirt freshman post that isn't athletic, and Mike Washington? Really, come on guys....give Pelphrey a break on last year.

jman

The SEC also sucked it up badly last year.  There were no really good teams in the whole conf.  Everyone who got in the NCAA toruney got ousted by the second round...it was weak and the hogs only won 2 games.  Hogs are....."Superbad"