Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this a make or break year for Pelphrey?

Started by NWASooner, November 18, 2009, 07:08:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NWASooner

I know people seem to have different views on Pelphrey but regardless of that, is this a deal breaker year for him?

There is zero interest in the program right now, even among the season ticket holding fan base.  I know one big fan that can barely name 4 players on the team and he's been going to games for years.

Throw in the attendance figures so far and that's not good.  I know he's had to suspend some players but he's had to suspend a lot of them.  It's one thing if you recruit marginal character guys if they're really good but most of these guys are pretty average, to be honest with you.

One fat cat booster I was speaking with said that if Pelphrey could hold for two more years, the (current) junior class in Arkansas high school has the best overall talent since the Corliss class.  My reply was that if that's the case and Pelphrey can't recruit the bulk of them, then you need a new coach anyway.

What are your thoughts?  How important is this year for Pelphrey?

Marshfieldhog

I think he is toast, attendance will cost him, its all about the money

Hog Waller

I sure hope not.  Even though he will have a bunch of freshman, I am hoping he gets the opportunity show what he can do with next year's class.

Blue35

I think that he is already broke. We need a change to get out of this mess.

The_Iceman

depends on how he does in the SEC. Anything below 6 wins in conference and I believe he is done.

If there are more suspensions before the year is out, that may seal his fate too.

But, I believe if he can get these players to straighten up and can save his job this year, then the program is heading in the right direction.

The Hogfather

I hope he gets the chance to continue what he's started.  He is rebuilding the Arkansas program and he's on the right track.  I hope he can hold on for one more year.  If he does, he'll be here for a long time.

jst01

I hope he stays and gets a chance for a few more years.

there are pro's & con's of Pel getting fired:

Pro's of Pel getting fired: FCJ has the largest orgasm ever recorded and explodes in the process

Cons of Pel getting fired: I have to read Hogville during another coaching search

dddollars

Quote from: Blue35 on November 18, 2009, 10:40:23 am

If we make a change now it will cost us more.... I give him this year and next then we see what happens.

And also you cant tell how the team will look the rest of the year with six players out.

NWASooner

Don't get me wrong, I like Pelphrey.  He's a young guy with a lot of energy who runs a fun system.  However, despite those attributes, he can't seem to recruit very well.  Capel at Oklahoma is in his 3rd season and OU sports 3 McDonald's All-Americans in it's starting 5.  Those are all players Capel signed.

Meanwhile, Arkansas has average players with never ending off the court issues.  Most of these players were brought in by Pelphrey.  If you're going to sign marginal character types, make sure they're ballers like Cincy did with Huggy Bear.

Either way, there seems to be zero fan interest right now and that's going to be Pelphrey's biggest problem this year.  If actual attendance is bad, that might be the end of his tenure here.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: NWASooner on November 18, 2009, 06:14:17 pm
Don't get me wrong, I like Pelphrey.  He's a young guy with a lot of energy who runs a fun system.  However, despite those attributes, he can't seem to recruit very well.  Capel at Oklahoma is in his 3rd season and OU sports 3 McDonald's All-Americans in it's starting 5.  Those are all players Capel signed.

Meanwhile, Arkansas has average players with never ending off the court issues.  Most of these players were brought in by Pelphrey.  If you're going to sign marginal character types, make sure they're ballers like Cincy did with Huggy Bear.

Either way, there seems to be zero fan interest right now and that's going to be Pelphrey's biggest problem this year.  If actual attendance is bad, that might be the end of his tenure here.

He can't recruit very well? Have you not seen the upcoming classes?

WilsonHog

Only Jeff Long knows for sure, but I tend to think his future is in some doubt. 

rude1

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 18, 2009, 06:26:07 pm
I have, and I am not the least bit impressed. More of the same. ZERO players from the top 50, only 1 from the the top 100. How come you guys continue to attempt to spin Pelphrey's mediocre recruiting into good recruiting? That is not the kind of recruiting that's going to change the fortunes of this program.

Let me state this once again. From the beginning of Nolan Richardson's tenure to present day. We have went to NO sweet 16s without at least 1 MD All American on the team. We have went to NO final fours without at least 2 MD All Americans on the team. I think we can clearly see there is a direct relation between top 25 talent and making runs into March Madness. You don't build a program out of guys above top 50 in talent, and go anywhere.

elksnort

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 18, 2009, 06:33:31 pm
Only Jeff Long knows for sure, but I tend to think his future is in some doubt. 
Do you think that Long has some specific expectations for Pelphrey?

For instance, mine would be 8-8 in the conference of thereabout, an NIT bid, little to no more off the court issues.

Maybe I expect too much. What do you suppose that Long has in mind?

thirtythree

Quote from: NWASooner on November 18, 2009, 07:08:16 am
I know people seem to have different views on Pelphrey but regardless of that, is this a deal breaker year for him?

There is zero interest in the program right now, even among the season ticket holding fan base.  I know one big fan that can barely name 4 players on the team and he's been going to games for years.

Throw in the attendance figures so far and that's not good.  I know he's had to suspend some players but he's had to suspend a lot of them.  It's one thing if you recruit marginal character guys if they're really good but most of these guys are pretty average, to be honest with you.

One fat cat booster I was speaking with said that if Pelphrey could hold for two more years, the (current) junior class in Arkansas high school has the best overall talent since the Corliss class.  My reply was that if that's the case and Pelphrey can't recruit the bulk of them, then you need a new coach anyway.

What are your thoughts?  How important is this year for Pelphrey?

My family is still interested. There are a whole bunch on here interested. To say zero interest is just flat out wrong and misleading. I will even go further to say that there is a majority of the posters on here that support the program and even CJP. Numerous polls have been taken that support that.

thirtythree

Quote from: rude1 on November 18, 2009, 06:47:27 pm
I have, and I am not the least bit impressed. More of the same. ZERO players from the top 50, only 1 from the the top 100. How come you guys continue to attempt to spin Pelphrey's mediocre recruiting into good recruiting? That is not the kind of recruiting that's going to change the fortunes of this program.

Let me state this once again. From the beginning of Nolan Richardson's tenure to present day. We have went to NO sweet 16s without at least 1 MD All American on the team. We have went to NO final fours without at least 2 MD All Americans on the team. I think we can clearly see there is a direct relation between top 25 talent and making runs into March Madness. You don't build a program out of guys above top 50 in talent, and go anywhere.

Seriously? ???

roundball

I've said it all along this is his make or break year..so the answer to the original question is yes.

roundball

Quote from: Blue35 on November 18, 2009, 10:40:23 am

How many times will this be said?!

heathtits

Quote from: thirtythree on November 19, 2009, 05:04:03 pm
My family is still interested. There are a whole bunch on here interested. To say zero interest is just flat out wrong and misleading. I will even go further to say that there is a majority of the posters on here that support the program and even CJP. Numerous polls have been taken that support that.

Okay well you will literally be able to hand mark and tally attendance at the next home game.

Is that accurate enough for you?

heathtits

Quote from: roundball on November 19, 2009, 05:14:48 pm

How many times will this be said?!

Until it happens or he proves any of us doubters wrong.

Put up or shut up time and that is the bottom line.

I seriously don't get the man love crush on Pelphrey. Sure I'd love for us to do well, but this underlying tendency for people to feel "Sorry" for him or something is ridiculous.

So what if he fails? I don't know him, he's not even from Arkansas so what do I care if we maybe run him out too quickly.. If he keeps doing a ** job, fire him and bring someone else in. That's the way it works everywhere else.

heathtits

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 18, 2009, 06:26:07 pm

Dude don't blow your wad. I like the class but it's not "stellar" by any means.

The mere fact that we are actually pumped about this class shows how sub par his recruiting has been.

3 classes and we are still waiting for a marquee guy.

Boarcephus

As I see it, JP has until Jan. 14th to get his stuff and team together because that is the night we start SEC play in Starkville.  He's got two months to get his players back and performing as a unit.  I think he can survive a slow start with the problems he's had but if he finishes anywhere close to how we did last year, he can't survive that.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

heathtits

I'd be content with about 7-9 in SEC play. 6-10 with some ugly losses and horrible attendance. Get him out.

Kennedy did that his 2nd and 3rd year at Ole Miss.

Don't try to tell me the circumstances here prevent that because Kennedy did that losing 4 starters last year.

orgkeith

Signing players who rated between 80-100 got Nolan fired.  These guys are role players.  They are Brandon Dean and Teddy Gipson with out Joe Johnson.  He is recruiting a good Sunbelt team.  Here is how it will go down:  He will not lose his job but after next November when he loses the Jonesboro Westside kid and possibly Madden he will be toast and we will be starting from scratch.  When we hired him I new he would never recruit any better than Eddie Sutton did here. 
Quote from: rude1 on November 18, 2009, 06:47:27 pm

neeko501

remind me to stay out of coachville...err...i mean jumpball...bunch of geniuses in here

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: neeko501 on November 19, 2009, 07:12:28 pm
remind me to stay out of coachville...err...i mean jumpball...bunch of geniuses in here

yeah and it is probably dividing the fan base

neeko501

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 19, 2009, 07:21:27 pm
it is...but some fans think they are coaches...not saying you are like that...you seem to be one of the few that just enjoys watching and rooting for you favorite team...

i like watching this team and the way they play...it hasnt been like that for me in a while...after heath (yawn) took over i lost interest in the regular season...cuz that style of ball is borig to me...

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: neeko501 on November 19, 2009, 07:39:45 pm
it is...but some fans think they are coaches...not saying you are like that...you seem to be one of the few that just enjoys watching and rooting for you favorite team...

i like watching this team and the way they play...it hasnt been like that for me in a while...after heath (yawn) took over i lost interest in the regular season...cuz that style of ball is borig to me...

i think pel deserves atleast 1 more year to turn it around. I am behind this team and the coach

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 19, 2009, 07:21:27 pm

Wrong.  Criticism, when it is honest, is a good thing.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

thirtythree

Quote from: heathtits on November 19, 2009, 05:58:58 pm
Okay well you will literally be able to hand mark and tally attendance at the next home game.

Is that accurate enough for you?

It doesn't change the fact that you are in the minority on this subject. That alone says there is more interest in the program than what is being stated. How many polls have to be started to show it?

SemperHawg

I honestly think Pel's fate relies mostly on who is going to be available at the end of this season.  If we finish the year under par again and there is a big name out there that is willing to come here and clean up Pel's mess.  If not hold off one more year and see if he can do anything with some of these supposed big timers. 
I know he is probably not gettable, but I would show up and move furniture out of Pel's house right now, if I thought we had a shot with a certain Missouri coach....cough cough Mike Anderson come home cough cough:)

WilsonHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 19, 2009, 08:17:48 pm
I honestly think Pel's fate relies mostly on who is going to be available at the end of this season.  If we finish the year under par again and there is a big name out there that is willing to come here and clean up Pel's mess.  If not hold off one more year and see if he can do anything with some of these supposed big timers. 
I know he is probably not gettable, but I would show up and move furniture out of Pel's house right now, if I thought we had a shot with a certain Missouri coach....cough cough Mike Anderson come home cough cough:)

He was gettable last spring.

I see no reason why he won't be four months from now.

forrest city joe

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 19, 2009, 08:17:48 pm
I wont say who. but i have been told if this job comes open, Mike wants to come home. no matter who is coaching here in the years to come. they have to know that the only option for the basketball coach at UA is winning. thats why they get the big money. losing is not an option at arkansas anymore.

WilsonHog

Pel could be about to learn the difference between winning while having discipline issues and losing while having discipline issues.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, Nolan pretty much received a pass on player infractions because his teams won. Did I know Todd Day could be an ass? Sure; Roosevelt Wallace told me so - at the Razorback team hotel during the 1990 Final Four. You average 20 points a game for a team that reaches the National Semifinals, and you too can be a jerk. People will overlook that. Whole different story when the team you play for goes 14-16.

Similarly, Nolan could get away with calling Razorback fans "turds and *******s," and with saying we "were truly blessed to have him come over here and win a national championship for them," because we were all too busy lining up flights and securing tickets to regional finals and final fours to care. Too busy packing BWA with 20,000 fans every night.

(BTW...I just found out something fairly amazing. We've put 20,000 or more people in BWA 57 times since the building opened in 1994. 54 of those crowds were in attendance from 1994 to 1999, but only three of them in the last 9 years.)         

SemperHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 19, 2009, 08:21:04 pm
He was gettable last spring.

I see no reason why he won't be four months from now.
the only reason I say ungettable is, I thought he got a new deal with Mizzou last season with a pretty large buy out, but I could be wrong there.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 19, 2009, 08:23:51 pm
I wont say who. but i have been told if this job comes open, Mike wants to come home. no matter who is coaching here in the years to come. they have to know that the only option for the basketball coach at UA is winning. thats why they get the big money. losing is not an option at arkansas anymore.

Mike Anderson can't out recruit our current coach and since everyone says pelphrey cant coach, then mike anderson sucks as well since he isnt able to recruit the players pelphrey can

neeko501

Quote from: forrest city joe on November 19, 2009, 08:23:51 pm
oh mike wants to come home?...so you mean to alabama where he is from?

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: neeko501 on November 19, 2009, 08:34:56 pm
oh mike wants to come home?...so you mean to alabama where he is from?

Auburn can have him if they fire their coach. we dont need him

WilsonHog

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 19, 2009, 08:37:19 pm
Auburn can have him if they fire their coach. we dont need him

Be careful; you just might be shooting me a PM in a few months asking to become 40MINSOFMIKE.

ge-erdone

Quote from: SemperHawg on November 19, 2009, 08:33:36 pm
the only reason I say ungettable is, I thought he got a new deal with Mizzou last season with a pretty large buy out, but I could be wrong there.
Mizzou is good place for a basketball coach, if he has winning teams there.

So if Anderson wins, he has a gold mine to coach for.

If he does not win, he will be free to come to Arkansas.

NWASooner

QuoteRight, wrong, or indifferent, Nolan pretty much received a pass on player infractions because his teams won. Did I know Todd Day could be an ass? Sure; Roosevelt Wallace told me so - at the Razorback team hotel during the 1990 Final Four. You average 20 points a game for a team that reaches the National Semifinals, and you too can be a jerk. People will overlook that. Whole different story when the team you play for goes 14-16.

Bingo. 

The Pel teams seem to have bad character guys who are average player.  None of these guys are first round NBA picks.

Winning forgives a lot of sins.  Pel's teams don't win.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 19, 2009, 08:34:25 pm
Mike Anderson can't out recruit our current coach and since everyone says pelphrey cant coach, then mike anderson sucks as well since he isnt able to recruit the players pelphrey can

Blind loyalty really, really scares me.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Baconator