Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who deserves the blame for the current state of affairs??

Started by razorback3072, November 18, 2009, 12:25:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorback3072

November 18, 2009, 12:25:43 am Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:27:26 am by razorback3072
This is not a negative post based on a loss.  It's just an opinion on the current state of the BB program.  I personally think it will get better as soon as a couple of guys are gone and we get some very talented guys in here next year.

25% of the blame goes to Heath--he had a soft approach and it showed as soon as Pel took over.  I will give him some slack because he wasn't left with any guards and had to scramble when he got here.  I didn't necessarily like his style but I think he should have been given another year to see what he could do with the seniors he had.

25% goes to Pel--He has recruited these guys and several aren't even here that he recruited.  However, like Stan he did have a handicap.  He inherited a team that had 6 seniors.  He made it to the NCAAT and won a game.  He also inherited a mess of a progam due to the next guy on the list and had to try and establish discipline early and I think he had a lot of issues with players not buying in and it has shown.  I also think he felt pressure to follow up his first season with a better one even though we lost 6 seniors and he took chances on talented guys but that were questionable attitudes and personalities.  I think with the Freshmen he has now and the players we have signed and expect to sign, things are going to get better.

The remaining 50% of the blame, I put on John White.  He tried for years to take over the athletic program and in the short time he was in charge, he totally fricked it up.  Golden Handcuffs aside, he screwed up the initial coaching search for BB.  While under his watch, players were testing positive for drugs, academically ineligible and the program was just out of control because there was no one in charge.  He should have given Heath another year to see what he could do but he wanted to be the big man and he screwed the pooch in his short term.  Thank God he is out the door too.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

athunt

Quote from: razorback3072 on November 18, 2009, 12:25:43 am

While under his watch, players were testing positive for drugs, academically ineligible and the program was just out of control because there was no one in charge. 

Sounds like you are describing our current players
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

sigpooie

the two headed beast FB/JW.
full explanation in Thanks bobbie post.
WE NEED LEROY JENKINS
If you have no idea of who Leroy is watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

SharpTusk

Some of it's got to include simple cycles of programs from stronger to weaker.

Don't forget the NCAA investigation that had classes of recruits bugging off Arkansas. 

Whether it was justified or not, Nolan's lawsuit was a sign of turmoil for years. 

Broyles' miscalculation in bringing Gillispie here was a disaster.  I'm positive that everything was in place until the Kentucky job opened.  Interim basketball coach, Glyn Cyprien joined Gillispie as did the UA Fort Smith head coach who was set to join Sonny Weems at Arkansas. 

Add the Dana Altman fiasco. 
Writer on  hog database

The real Hogules

JFB's handling of everything Nolan Richardson also added to our downfall.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Tim Harris

.  While under his watch, players were testing positive for drugs, academically ineligible and the program was just out of control because there was no one in charge. 

You can't put all this on him.  Some of this has to go on the individuals making those decisions.

hogluv

Nolan was a great coach but him screaming racism hurt our program tremendously.(A case tried 2x's and lost) Nolan and Frank butted heads and he wanted to get back at him. So in doing so he made sure he destroyed the kingdom that Nolan himself once built. Like the angry kid that kicks over his sand castle.

Nolan hurt the fans that loved him as well. No controversy surrounding the program Bill Self would have probably left Illinois and returned home.

Hog Waller

How about assigning a lot of the blame to the kids who let down their team, coach, the program and fans? 

3kgthog

I'm blaming JFB and John White. The way they handled the Nolan situation angered many in the coaching community. I think that's what got us stuck with Stan Heath and Dana Altman.

retired-rambler

I will have to agree with the JFB and JW reason why our program is in the drink.  Maybe Pel can turn it around this year but I don't think so.  I don't think he is a SEC caliber coach nor his assistants.  Quit going to BB games 4 or 5 years ago after 20 years of not missing a Fayetteville game.  Pretty sad state of affairs.  Thank goodness for the football program looking like it is on the up swing.  Have waited 15 years for that to happen.   

go hogues

Frank and Nolan started it and it has dwindled ever since.  What was once a perennial national power, playing in one of its palaces, has withered and may never rise up again.
From poor coaching choices to APR, to discipline, to a once rabid fanbase turned apathetic, the UA basketball program has found itself where few perennial powers fear tread, the cellar.
If these player suspensions are what it takes to help turn this basketball program around, I would take a winless season if it meant we could become a year in-year out top 25 program again.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mizzouman

100% goes to Pel.  He's the CEO of the basketball team and any results of that team, good or bad, is on Pel's watch.  It doesn't matter if it's fair or not.  That's the nature of the business and that's why they get paid the big bucks.

dougieritch

100% The Suspended Players, they are costing the team, fans, and Pel.

The_Iceman

Nolan's situation caused us to hire Heath which put us in a huge hole, which Pelphrey is now trying to dig us out of.

Blue35

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2009, 09:11:25 am
Nolan's situation caused us to hire Heath which put us in a huge hole, which Pelphrey is now trying to dig us out of.
Nolan Richardson is 100% to blame. He started the whole rotten mess with his constant complaints about him being mistreated because he is a poor old black.  Bullcrap!!!!

athunt

I think many of you feel bad for Pel and are just looking for someone else to blame.  Yes, Heath left a void in recruiting, but it was PEL who recruited these players, aside from Welsh and Britt, and it was PEL who has is responsible for running the program right now. PEL has asked almost as many, if not more, to leave the team as he has kicked players off.(Patsatsia, Rakestraw, Clark, and Moore come to mind)

What Nolan did almost 10 years ago would not be coming into effect now, its basketball, not football. You see results quicker in basketball with a regime change.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

oldbooniehog

WMHawgfan

I blame Eddie Sutton. If he hadn't left for Kentucky we wouldn't be in the situation we are in now.

I also blame Bud Walton. If he hadn't built such a large arena, the lack of attendance wouldn't be so evident.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

This is not a negative post based on a loss.  It's just an opinion on the current state of the BB program.  I personally think it will get better as soon as a couple of guys are gone and we get some very talented guys in here next year.

25% of the blame goes to Heath--he had a soft approach and it showed as soon as Pel took over.  I will give him some slack because he wasn't left with any guards and had to scramble when he got here.  I didn't necessarily like his style but I think he should have been given another year to see what he could do with the seniors he had.

25% goes to Pel--He has recruited these guys and several aren't even here that he recruited.  However, like Stan he did have a handicap.  He inherited a team that had 6 seniors.  He made it to the NCAAT and won a game.  He also inherited a mess of a progam due to the next guy on the list and had to try and establish discipline early and I think he had a lot of issues with players not buying in and it has shown.  I also think he felt pressure to follow up his first season with a better one even though we lost 6 seniors and he took chances on talented guys but that were questionable attitudes and personalities.  I think with the Freshmen he has now and the players we have signed and expect to sign, things are going to get better.

The remaining 50% of the blame, I put on John White.  He tried for years to take over the athletic program and in the short time he was in charge, he totally fricked it up.  Golden Handcuffs aside, he screwed up the initial coaching search for BB.  While under his watch, players were testing positive for drugs, academically ineligible and the program was just out of control because there was no one in charge.  He should have given Heath another year to see what he could do but he wanted to be the big man and he screwed the pooch in his short term.  Thank God he is out the door too.

You can blame me. It's cool.

Tim Harris

Quote from: WMHawgfan on November 18, 2009, 04:51:26 pm
I also blame Bud Walton. If he hadn't built such a large arena, the lack of attendance wouldn't be so evident.

Glad you mentioned this.  Most people can't see that this is the main issue.

SLC

At this point I don't care who is to blame as long as it gets fixed, asap.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

hawaiianhogster

I blame the players that got into trouble. If they would follow simple rules and regulations they would be playing on the team right now. I wonder how many chances these kids have had since high school? When will this kind of attitude end?

This attitude is carried on to the pro sports as you have seen many players get more chances no matter the crime. Madness I tell you.

Hoggle

Blame John White for the mess in Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and the mess we are by the grace of god extracting ourselves from in Football.

As far as men's basketball goes, blame JFB for Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson - two Hall of Fame coaches and 25 years of mostly GREAT basketball.  John White and his "I'm the man and I'm taking over the athletic department because I'm smarter than everyone, even regarding things I don't know crap about" attitude and the "hiring committees" that followed got us where we are in basketball and where we were in football.  His "forget the white guy, I'm hiring a skirt" approach to the women's basketball program ran off a very good coach and got us Susie "no clue" Garner and now a poor man's Gary Blair, trying to get back what we once had.

moses_007

Blame Dana Altman, who forsaw all this mess and didn't stay.

Hog4Ever09

I don't blame anyone because every single sports program around the nation goes through these down times.  You're awesome some years and you suck others, it's life.  You get good recruits, you get crap recruits, it happens.

I say we stop blaming everyone and support the basketball team we are given, because none of us can change the current state of the basketball program.  One way that they can get better is to know they have a strong fan base that supports them no matter what happens.  We obviously don't condone the actions done by the various suspended players, but we still support these kids because they're the future, not of basketball, but of your lives.  Support them, instead of blaming others.

bigyellowdog

1.  Broyles & White 
2.  Nolan
3.  Nutt
4.  Heath  & Pel
5.  Jesse Pate