Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well guys

Started by AHiD, February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 04:05:21 pm
And your style is to blindly follow.  That is fine....for you.   We'll see, i'm sure after 8 years of mediocre football, the kool aid that you drank will wear off and you will finally see...... and you'll say, "We hired a guy with a 14 - 22 record??   What were we thinking??"  In the meantime, keep drinking the kool aid.
Hey, might want to actually read my earlier posts elsewhere considering this 'cause you're totally WRONG (per usual). IF you actually made the effort to do so what I HAVE said is that I will wait to see exactly how things shake out over the coming months and next couple of seasons before I form a FIRM opinion/attitude concerning CMM and staff. No, that DOESN'T mean that I'll take it on blind faith that he the greatest HC we've ever had (or at least for quite some time); doesn't mean given time that he even will turn out to be an "ace" recruiter. However, what it DOES mean is that I will actually give the man the opportunity to at least go through a spring and fall practice with his kids. I will also give him the chance to actually coach in games, to watch his offensive/defensive performances, to view the level of effort and intensity of the players, how he and the staff handle in-game adjustments, preparation of the team and (hoped for) development of players, etc. Which means I intend to base my judgment not on what he necessarily did at SMU or even what he did as the OC at Clemson. In my mind he will stand or fall on his own accomplishments, or lack thereof, as the HC of the University of Arkansas, not what he's done in the past. In other words, I won't prejudge him before he's even really started on the Hill. If that makes me a "blind follower" then I suppose I must plead "guilty as charged". Then again, I have no fool proof crystal ball as some apparently do. Besides, I find it more refreshing these days to try to be fairly optimistic as to the future of our program; tends to help both the heart and state of mind. Might want give it a shot sometime; you'd be amazed how much better it makes you feel.

jabberjawls

First, you are right i hate reading your posts because you like to criticize anyone that has an opinion that is different from your's.

Second, your prior posts are NOT objective, rather you go to great lengths, and post many many (i don't know where you get all of the time  - perhaps you don't work) to chastise anyone who posts anything that is remotely critical of the coaching staff even though the OP specifically asked for everyone's opinion, not just the opinion of the kool aid drinkers like you.

And, third, i have been patient in the past.  But this time I SMELL A RAT!!  and if you would put down your glass of kool aid, you would see it for yourself.

oldhawg

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 05:23:03 pm

...Second, your prior posts are NOT objective...

...But this time I SMELL A RAT!!...

Seems like objectiveness is in short supply these days.   :)

jabberjawls

Quote from: oldhawg on February 14, 2018, 05:29:56 pm

Seems like objectiveness is in short supply these days.   :)
I was being objective.  That's why i smell a rat. Do you not smell it?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 05:34:23 pm
While it's true that I do defend my opinions/viewpoints, I fully appreciate that others do, in fact, have other ideas. However, I also get tired of some towing the same old negative line that the newly hired HC can't/won't get the job done primarily because of two years at SMU (not exactly a football powerhouse/recruiting hot spot) . I'll repeat: I have no friggin' clue as to whether or not Chad will or won't be successful; that remains to be seen/proven. Then again, common sense, often in short supply with some, would dictate that.

And as to your being "objective" (your own words not mine) you might want to at least consult a dictionary before using such a high falutin' word. If so you'd find this official definition: "Not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in   considering or representing facts". "Representing unbiased, unprejudiced(might look that word up as well), open-minded, neutral". So....under the circumstances I rest my case. BTW saw nothing in my research concerning "smelling any sort of rat"

And if you have an issue with the explanation of the word just defined please feel free to argue with Noah Webster. He's been dead 175 years (died 1843) so that ought to be right up your alley. ;)

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think he will do alright.  Young energetic staff mixed with some veterans.  I really like that he kept John Scott and Barry Lunney Jr.  Was worried the Chief might be out of gas but Morris's energy must be infectious.

He wasn't at the top of my list but now that he is the coach I hope he does well.  I just don't get the people that continue to be negative.  Ok so he wasn't your top choice either and maybe even for a variety of legitimate reasons.  But he's not a total a$$ clown.  He's not out there embarrassing the university.  He doesn't have a history of being a jerk, and he's not just mailing it in.  He's legitimately working very hard to give the UofA a successful football program.  To continue to piss and moan about him just makes people look like miserable POS's that have miserable lives so they project it on to the program to have something to b!tch about.   I feel sorry for these people.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: liljo on February 14, 2018, 09:13:03 am
Wow. Now turn that frown around! There, there, now, have a tissue, sweetheart. It'll get better.

I notice you have over 4000 posts! I hope their not all this pitiful...May I suggest a puppy?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! How'd you like to be stuck working at some office someplace with THIS guy?!?! :puke:
He'd be fired by lunchtime if he worked for me.

Jabber, I don't smell a rat but admit, my nose can easily be fooled.  What do you see in this staff that really makes you worry?  I make every assumption that you want what most of us want and that is a winning program.

I could certainly pick out a staff I might like better than these Guys but I don't believe we could get them to come here as they already have far superior jobs to what we could offer.  When I consider that it makes me rather happy with the staff we ended up with.

Now I don't know how much stock you can put into the SMU record of this HC.  As much as you chose I suppose.  SMU was given the death penalty for cheating in the years 1987 and 1988.  They have played 29 years since that time.  They have had 5 winning seasons and 2 seasons at .500 in the past 29 years.  In 2014 they went 1-11.  Morris went 2-10, then 5-7 and then 7-6 in his 3 seasons there.  So he has 1 of the 5 winning seasons in the past 29 years.  SMUs 2 best seasons were 2009 and 2011 where they won 8 games each season.  Next to that was 2010 when they went 7-7 and 2017 where they went 7-6 so Morris owns their 3rd best winning season in the past 29 years, percentage wise. June Jones, a veteran coach who was a decent HC had 3 of their winning seasons and one .500 season and those come in 2009 through 2012.  He would have to be considered their best HC after the death penalty. 

I am going out on a limb here and offer that Morris will likely take us to just above Nutt standards and then leave for a better job where getting farther up the ladder is easier.  Morris will be successful because he works hard and smart in my opinion.  Morris will refuse to settle for halfassed.  He will take our program as high as his abilities and our built in weaknesses will allow him to go and then I believe he will pack up and go on.  Same thing I would do if I had the youth and ability he has.

jabberjawls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 14, 2018, 06:04:00 pm
While it's true that I do defend my opinions/viewpoints, I fully appreciate that others do, in fact, have other ideas. However, I also get tired of some towing the same old negative line that the newly hired HC can't/won't get the job done primarily because of two years at SMU (not exactly a football powerhouse/recruiting hot spot) . I'll repeat: I have no friggin' clue as to whether or not Chad will or won't be successful; that remains to be seen/proven. Then again, common sense, often in short supply with some, would dictate that.

And as to your being "objective" (your own words not mine) you might want to at least consult a dictionary before using such a high falutin' word. If so you'd find this official definition: "Not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in   considering or representing facts". "Representing unbiased, unprejudiced(might look that word up as well), open-minded, neutral". So....under the circumstances I rest my case. BTW saw nothing in my research concerning "smelling any sort of rat"

And if you have an issue with the explanation of the word just defined please feel free to argue with Noah Webster. He's been dead 175 years (died 1843) so that ought to be right up your alley. ;)
I hope you are not a lawyer, because you rested your case without any evidence, and  you also lied to the jury.  If you were a lawyer, and this is how you handled a case, you would lose.  First, you lied -- look it up in the dictionary you referenced, it means "dishonest, untruthful",  by saying CCM only coached at SMU for 2 years.  This is the type of self-serving dishonestly that the CCM apologists try to use on those who don't think for themselves.  Its the same tactic that politician's use.  Are you a politician?

As for objectivity --  14 -  22 is an objective fact.  His recruiting average at SMU of around 70th in the nation is objective.  His recruiting ranking at the UA in the 40's is objective.   That CCM is good friends with Jerry Jones is a fact.  That you "say" you "appreciate" other's opinions is NOT supported by any fact given that you criticize, chastise and and call names of anyone who expresses an opinion opposite of your's.  You are NOT defending your opinion, you are criticizing other people's opinion.   

On the day of the hire, there were countless new accounts on hogville spewing all kinds of kool aid.  You can draw your own conclusion.

And lastly, one more fact, no other high D1 school has ever hired a head coach with a prior headcoaching record of 14 - 22.  Maybe some of us are a little skeptical.

jabberjawls

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2018, 06:22:26 pm
Jabber, I don't smell a rat but admit, my nose can easily be fooled.  What do you see in this staff that really makes you worry?  I make every assumption that you want what most of us want and that is a winning program.

I could certainly pick out a staff I might like better than these Guys but I don't believe we could get them to come here as they already have far superior jobs to what we could offer.  When I consider that it makes me rather happy with the staff we ended up with.

Now I don't know how much stock you can put into the SMU record of this HC.  As much as you chose I suppose.  SMU was given the death penalty for cheating in the years 1987 and 1988.  They have played 29 years since that time.  They have had 5 winning seasons and 2 seasons at .500 in the past 29 years.  In 2014 they went 1-11.  Morris went 2-10, then 5-7 and then 7-6 in his 3 seasons there.  So he has 1 of the 5 winning seasons in the past 29 years.  SMUs 2 best seasons were 2009 and 2011 where they won 8 games each season.  Next to that was 2010 when they went 7-7 and 2017 where they went 7-6 so Morris owns their 3rd best winning season in the past 29 years, percentage wise. June Jones, a veteran coach who was a decent HC had 3 of their winning seasons and one .500 season and those come in 2009 through 2012.  He would have to be considered their best HC after the death penalty. 

I am going out on a limb here and offer that Morris will likely take us to just above Nutt standards and then leave for a better job where getting farther up the ladder is easier.  Morris will be successful because he works hard and smart in my opinion.  Morris will refuse to settle for halfassed.  He will take our program as high as his abilities and our built in weaknesses will allow him to go and then I believe he will pack up and go on.  Same thing I would do if I had the youth and ability he has.

Look, I hope CCM leads us to a national championship.  I have been a Razorback fan a long time.  This whole dialogue started because the OP asked an opinion and I gave mine.  Vantage 8 guy then chose to attack me, personally, like he has done on other occasions so I then have to defend against his attacks.

I'm hope i am wrong about CMM.

liljo

Quote from: volkh on February 14, 2018, 12:54:56 pm
O
Being a good man had nothing to do with job performance and winning was the point I was trying to make.  Just about everyone can agree we all think Bert was a good man who cared about the kids he recruited.  Gone were the days of a player arrested every few weeks and up was graduation rates.  Things that were down during both Nutt and Petrino, but we won the West and went to big bowl under those coaches.

What that being said I don't get stating that they are good men and the players will be blessed has much to do with anything since we just fired someone we consider a good man( but needed to go ).

The OP asked, "what do y'all think about the coaching staff so far?"

I said I believe they are excellent coaches and good men. I'm still unsure of your opinion of them, but am much clearer on your views of the previous staff, and employment decisions of The University. 

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 06:34:31 pm
I hope you are not a lawyer, because you rested your case without any evidence, and  you also lied to the jury.  If you were a lawyer, and this is how you handled a case, you would lose.  First, you lied -- look it up in the dictionary you referenced, it means "dishonest, untruthful",  by saying CCM only coached at SMU for 2 years.  This is the type of self-serving dishonestly that the CCM apologists try to use on those who don't think for themselves.  Its the same tactic that politician's use.  Are you a politician?

As for objectivity --  14 -  22 is an objective fact.  His recruiting average at SMU of around 70th in the nation is objective.  His recruiting ranking at the UA in the 40's is objective.   That CCM is good friends with Jerry Jones is a fact.  That you "say" you "appreciate" other's opinions is NOT supported by any fact given that you criticize, chastise and and call names of anyone who expresses an opinion opposite of your's.  You are NOT defending your opinion, you are criticizing other people's opinion.   

On the day of the hire, there were countless new accounts on hogville spewing all kinds of kool aid.  You can draw your own conclusion.

And lastly, one more fact, no other high D1 school has ever hired a head coach with a prior headcoaching record of 14 - 22.  Maybe some of us are a little skeptical.

You are just full of misinformation. Auburn hired Gene Chizik after he went 5-19 in his only 2 seasons as an HC.  Ark hired Ken Hatfield after a 10 win season at Air Force but his overall record was 6 games under .500 and his first 3 years he won a total of 10 games.  Gerry DiNardo had 4 losing seasons at Vandy when hired by LSU and won a total of 9 conf games in 4 years

I'm not saying these were good hires but what I am saying is your statement that P5 schools have not hired coaches with losing records is factually incorrect. Could probably find more but you aren't worth the effort
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

One addendum to this post. ASSUMING that CCM will not succeed by virtue of his past record at SMU can be hazardous to your health. Many of us went under a similar assumption (just the other way) that because our last coach   had a winning record and went to three Rose Bowls he would have a good choice and would be able to replicate some of that same success in the SEC. Unfortunately we all witnessed how that turned out. In a like manner, ASSUMING that Morris will be a FAILURE just because he was didn't "knock it out of the park" at SMU automatically means he'll duplicate that futility here as well?

I'd also ask if you honestly believe that our program, recognizing it IS in the SEC, and subject to stiffer competition, still isn't a better one than the Ponies?  If not then we've slipped further than even I'm willing to admit. And while the SEC is doubtless a tougher conference, so IMO are the opportunities, even for us. You reference the extremely low rated recruiting classes at SMU. Okay, again are you equating us to them from the standpoint of possible upgrades (or not) in both possible talent and potential recruiting? If so, then once again we are in deep, deep trouble. However, I honestly think not.

And as far as your being a loyal Razorback fan, I'll  have to take you at your word. However, most loyal Hog fans I know are TRULY hoping and praying that CMM and crew are the answer to the failures over the past five or six years. They're also reserving judgment as to whether or not this indeed is a good hire. The alternative means starting over yet AGAIN and trying to go our and convince yet ANOTHER coach to give us a shot. I am curious about one thing though: who would YOU see as the perfect guy for the job; who would you have recommended to the BOT and AD that we hire? And depending on who that might be I also wonder as to whether the choice would have been attainable.

jabberjawls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 14, 2018, 07:10:57 pm
One addendum to this post. ASSUMING that CCM will not succeed by virtue of his past record at SMU can be hazardous to your health. Many of us went under a similar assumption (just the other way) that because our last coach   had a winning record and went to three Rose Bowls he would have a good choice and would be able to replicate some of that same success in the SEC. Unfortunately we all witnessed how that turned out. In a like manner, ASSUMING that Morris will be a FAILURE just because he was didn't "knock it out of the park" at SMU automatically means he'll duplicate that futility here as well?

I'd also ask if you honestly believe that our program, recognizing it IS in the SEC, and subject to stiffer competition, still isn't a better one than the Ponies?  If not then we've slipped further than even I'm willing to admit. And while the SEC is doubtless a tougher conference, so IMO are the opportunities, even for us. You reference the extremely low rated recruiting classes at SMU. Okay, again are you equating us to them from the standpoint of possible upgrades (or not) in both possible talent and potential recruiting? If so, then once again we are in deep, deep trouble. However, I honestly think not.

And as far as your being a loyal Razorback fan, I'll  have to take you at your word. However, most loyal Hog fans I know are TRULY hoping and praying that CMM and crew are the answer to the failures over the past five or six years. They're also reserving judgment as to whether or not this indeed is a good hire. The alternative means starting over yet AGAIN and trying to go our and convince yet ANOTHER coach to give us a shot. I am curious about one thing though: who would YOU see as the perfect guy for the job; who would you have recommended to the BOT and AD that we hire? And depending on who that might be I also wonder as to whether the choice would have been attainable.
Again, I hope CCM wins a national championship here but his hire was very smelly....forced down our throats by Jerry Jones.  If you all can't see this, then i am sorry. 

I would have hired Norvell or Kiffin easily over CCM.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Bkhardicars on February 14, 2018, 06:47:47 am
He was plan "D" for me. After seeing him on the recruiting trail and seeing more of his personality, I'm thinking the right choice was made. I wanted Gus, but this guy seems to be "Gus with a personality" and TX ties. If he can really deliver in regards to TX recruiting, I think he's going to be very successful.

He may not beat Gus next year as AU is loaded.  But our days are coming.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 14, 2018, 06:04:59 pm
I think he will do alright.  Young energetic staff mixed with some veterans.  I really like that he kept John Scott and Barry Lunney Jr.  Was worried the Chief might be out of gas but Morris's energy must be infectious.

He wasn't at the top of my list but now that he is the coach I hope he does well. I just don't get the people that continue to be negative.  Ok so he wasn't your top choice either and maybe even for a variety of legitimate reasons.  But he's not a total a$$ clown.  He's not out there embarrassing the university.  He doesn't have a history of being a jerk, and he's not just mailing it in.  He's legitimately working very hard to give the UofA a successful football program.  To continue to piss and moan about him just makes people look like miserable POS's that have miserable lives so they project it on to the program to have something to b!tch about.   I feel sorry for these people.

These "fans" are addicted to constant negativity... They are life long "darksiders".

nchogg

Yes the last 5 years were up and down. Look at the assistants the last 5 years other than our RB coach, OC, Chaney and Pittman and, Lunney and Rhoads. Since Pittman left our OL has been bad. Our receivers coach was very iffy just look how long it took him to get his players to run their routes. Assistants make a HC look good and bad. We now have one of the most complete staffs in a long time. Our defensive staff looks great and our offensive staff look good also. This staff is as hungry as our new coach is. If we have a team that is really ready to play the first game of the season and does not need 4 to get things together then that is progress. We have a very tough road after North Texas with Auburn, T A&M, Alabama and Ole Miss. You know what we are up against with Auburn and Alabama and T A&M and Ole Miss we will know game time. I look forward to how things play out. Go Hogs!

southarkhog06

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 07:19:43 pm
Again, I hope CCM wins a national championship here but his hire was very smelly....forced down our throats by Jerry Jones.  If you all can't see this, then i am sorry. 

You accuse Vantage of misinformation, then go and claim a conspiracy theory is why you don't like the hire... SMDH...

HoggyCat

Pick any day under Morris so far. The effort given is more than bert gave in five years total.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

The NewEra

If you can evaluate a coach with fewer than 90 days on the job I'll give it a shot.  Morris wasn't my first choice.  I heard his name mentioned a lot but didn't take the time to research him.  After he was announced I sat down and took the time to do so. 

First and foremost, every situation Morris left, he left them better off than they were when he arrived.  He's never failed as a coach because when things weren't going well he came up with a plan and executed on it to get the desired results and he did.  Consistent with his math and statistics background he's very organized and calculated.  He's a Texas boy who believes in hard work, family, relationships, accountability and discipline.  He carries those core values with him and lives his life by them.  He's loyal, demanding and leads by example.  That's why his staff will follow him anywhere and why they try to emulate him and his work ethic.  His experience as a teacher carries over to all other aspects of his job including the football field.  He's smart enough to see trends such as a move to a fast paced and wide open offense and skilled enough to become highly proficient at it while adding his own unique touches, such as run first.  Morris knows what has not worked well in the past, such as having a high powered offense with no defense.  That's why he brought in Chavis and the all star lineup of coaches on that side of the ball.  It also why the majority of recruits in this class are defensive players. 

Morris also knows that achieving the success at Arkansas he wants to, or any other program for that matter, revolves around bringing in great talent.  He's positioned this staff to maximize our contacts in the state of Texas, but also the close proximity to areas such as Tulsa and Memphis.  We've never had as talented an overall group of recruiters on staff as Morris has assembled and if you look at what appears to be his methodology, it will work here.  For example, he has multiple offers out to running backs and wide receivers who are ranked 4* or 5*.  When you embrace building relationships the way this staff does, the odds are real good that you are going to build relationships with and ultimately land some of those 4 & 5* kids.  The odds are definitely in your favor.  All sales people know it's a numbers game.

Some think we are just a stepping stone for Morris and cite his moving around in the past.  I don't see it that way.  You have a goal and map out your plan to get there.  He's been on that journey and I believe coaching at a P5 school in a top conference was that goal.  Morris knows how poorly run this program was prior to his accepting the job.  He also knows the offensive, defensive schemes and recruiting necessary to make our program very successful.

Lastly, look what he did at Tulsa, then Clemson and then SMU.  You may not like the win / loss record at SMU, but the program is certainly much better off today than they were when he took over the program and he had recruiting requirements for ACT (25) and GPA (3.2) that many kids he can recruit now couldn't meet at SMU.

Morris has handled himself extremely well in the press.  He gives an honest, straight forward and candid answer to questions.  He knows how to market and brand the Razorback name and Logo and his use of social media plays extremely well with HS Coaches and Kids.

I don't see anything not to like about the man and if he improves this program the way he has all others he's been at then I'll be extremely pleased.

liljo

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 09:41:46 am
If you can evaluate a coach with fewer than 90 days on the job I'll give it a shot.  Morris wasn't my first choice.  I heard his name mentioned a lot but didn't take the time to research him.  After he was announced I sat down and took the time to do so. 

First and foremost, every situation Morris left, he left them better off than they were when he arrived.  He's never failed as a coach because when things weren't going well he came up with a plan and executed on it to get the desired results and he did.  Consistent with his math and statistics background he's very organized and calculated.  He's a Texas boy who believes in hard work, family, relationships, accountability and discipline.  He carries those core values with him and lives his life by them.  He's loyal, demanding and leads by example.  That's why his staff will follow him anywhere and why they try to emulate him and his work ethic.  His experience as a teacher carries over to all other aspects of his job including the football field.  He's smart enough to see trends such as a move to a fast paced and wide open offense and skilled enough to become highly proficient at it while adding his own unique touches, such as run first.  Morris knows what has not worked well in the past, such as having a high powered offense with no defense.  That's why he brought in Chavis and the all star lineup of coaches on that side of the ball.  It also why the majority of recruits in this class are defensive players. 

Morris also knows that achieving the success at Arkansas he wants to, or any other program for that matter, revolves around bringing in great talent.  He's positioned this staff to maximize our contacts in the state of Texas, but also the close proximity to areas such as Tulsa and Memphis.  We've never had as talented an overall group of recruiters on staff as Morris has assembled and if you look at what appears to be his methodology, it will work here.  For example, he has multiple offers out to running backs and wide receivers who are ranked 4* or 5*.  When you embrace building relationships the way this staff does, the odds are real good that you are going to build relationships with and ultimately land some of those 4 & 5* kids.  The odds are definitely in your favor.  All sales people know it's a numbers game.

Some think we are just a stepping stone for Morris and cite his moving around in the past.  I don't see it that way.  You have a goal and map out your plan to get there.  He's been on that journey and I believe coaching at a P5 school in a top conference was that goal.  Morris knows how poorly run this program was prior to his accepting the job.  He also knows the offensive, defensive schemes and recruiting necessary to make our program very successful.

Lastly, look what he did at Tulsa, then Clemson and then SMU.  You may not like the win / loss record at SMU, but the program is certainly much better off today than they were when he took over the program and he had recruiting requirements for ACT (25) and GPA (3.2) that many kids he can recruit now couldn't meet at SMU.

Morris has handled himself extremely well in the press.  He gives an honest, straight forward and candid answer to questions.  He knows how to market and brand the Razorback name and Logo and his use of social media plays extremely well with HS Coaches and Kids.

I don't see anything not to like about the man and if he improves this program the way he has all others he's been at then I'll be extremely pleased.

Outstanding post, and if I could I'd give you 20 "applauds."
WPS!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 05:23:03 pm
First, you are right i hate reading your posts because you like to criticize anyone that has an opinion that is different from your's.

Second, your prior posts are NOT objective, rather you go to great lengths, and post many many (i don't know where you get all of the time  - perhaps you don't work) to chastise anyone who posts anything that is remotely critical of the coaching staff even though the OP specifically asked for everyone's opinion, not just the opinion of the kool aid drinkers like you.

And, third, i have been patient in the past.  But this time I SMELL A RAT!!  and if you would put down your glass of kool aid, you would see it for yourself.
Bo, Is that you?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 13, 2018, 10:45:31 pm
What's y'all thoughts on the coaching staff up to this point?

They are doing great.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The NewEra on February 15, 2018, 09:41:46 am

I was the first one on Hogville to tell everyone that then next head coach would be Morris. Only a few agreed it was likely. And almost everyone pointed to his record at SMU and said he was not good enough. Now, before he has coached a game, everyone here seems to love him. Interesting how people cave in without Morris having coached a game at Ark.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The NewEra

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 15, 2018, 10:37:40 pm
I was the first one on Hogville to tell everyone that then next head coach would be Morris. Only a few agreed it was likely. And almost everyone pointed to his record at SMU and said he was not good enough. Now, before he has coached a game, everyone here seems to love him. Interesting how people cave in without Morris having coached a game at Ark.

There were some people involved in the coaching search (I suspect Jerry Jones being one of them) that knew a lot more about the available talent pool of coaches than I, or many others on Hogville did.  Those behind the scene also knew exactly what background a coach would need in order to recruit the state of Texas, a requirement for this program to achieve great success.  Clint Stoerner was one of those pumping Morris early on.  I'm typically very open minded and happy to admit when I'm wrong.  What I've seen from him tells me this was a great hire and those responsible for it deserve a lot of credit.  They got it right on so many levels.

Now, if to re-evaluate ones position on something with new information and then changing your opinion means a person "caved in", then thank goodness we have a world mostly full of cavers.  My experience is the average person is like me and more than willing to change their view once given more information and insight into a given situation. 

After reading your post for several years I get the impression your use of that word is more of an attempt to make you feel superior to others, rather than to welcome others to your side of an opinion.  Much like the "I was the first" comment in your paragraph above. 

liljo

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 15, 2018, 10:37:40 pm

Haven't been on Hogville long, but I can say this and be completely honest about it: I had nothing to do with the hire. I just waited. Had it been somebody else, I would be hopeful. I would try to be positive. First and foremost, I'm a Razorbacks FAN. The word fan comes from the word fanatic. I back the team. I claim no false expertise in matters of hiring coaches or evaluating recruits.

Coach Morris and staff have done nothing to cause me to doubt their abilities. They don't seem to talk much. They DO seem to work extremely hard.

Why does backing these guys up, full tilt, have to be classified as "caving in?" Apparently, it is very common for people who don't get exactly what THEY want (I suspect many here wanted Norvell, some Malzahn, etc.) to just gripe, complain, moan, and brag about themselves and their supposed expertise on things we all know they know precious little about. If the current staff struggles, they'' be the ones to jump all over them and remind everyone of what they once said.

I think it gives them something to fall back on. Because if the team succeeds, nobody is likely to remember all their mournful blahs.

The NewEra

Quote from: liljo on February 16, 2018, 10:01:04 am
Haven't been on Hogville long, but I can say this and be completely honest about it: I had nothing to do with the hire. I just waited. Had it been somebody else, I would be hopeful. I would try to be positive. First and foremost, I'm a Razorbacks FAN. The word fan comes from the word fanatic. I back the team. I claim no false expertise in matters of hiring coaches or evaluating recruits.

Coach Morris and staff have done nothing to cause me to doubt their abilities. They don't seem to talk much. They DO seem to work extremely hard.

Why does backing these guys up, full tilt, have to be classified as "caving in?" Apparently, it is very common for people who don't get exactly what THEY want (I suspect many here wanted Norvell, some Malzahn, etc.) to just gripe, complain, moan, and brag about themselves and their supposed expertise on things we all know they know precious little about. If the current staff struggles, they'' be the ones to jump all over them and remind everyone of what they once said.

I think it gives them something to fall back on. Because if the team succeeds, nobody is likely to remember all their mournful blahs.

Deserving of a return +1

HogPharmer

Then our program would have ended up being a dumpster fire again within 3 years just like it was when we fired Petrino. While I liked Petrino, I am not interested in getting into that retreaded argument... I'm ready for something new. You've got to give somebody a chance and it's time to give this program a different look from what we've had the last 6 years with a possibility of some real long-term success.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

volkh

Quote from: liljo on February 14, 2018, 06:45:53 pm
The OP asked, "what do y'all think about the coaching staff so far?"

I said I believe they are excellent coaches and good men. I'm still unsure of your opinion of them, but am much clearer on your views of the previous staff, and employment decisions of The University. 

Man you are right, he did ask that.  I was just trying to understand how being good men changed anything in correlation to past coaching staffs. 
"Son, it's not how you play the game, but how drunk you get."

-Homer J. Simpson

liljo

Quote from: volkh on February 16, 2018, 10:23:42 am
Man you are right, he did ask that.  I was just trying to understand how being good men changed anything in correlation to past coaching staffs.

It's all good man. I bet we want the same thing: for the Razorbacks to put some knots on some heads and WIN!

WPS!

volkh

Quote from: liljo on February 16, 2018, 11:17:15 am
It's all good man. I bet we want the same thing: for the Razorbacks to put some knots on some heads and WIN!

WPS!

Hells yeah! WPS!
"Son, it's not how you play the game, but how drunk you get."

-Homer J. Simpson

DLUXHOG

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 14, 2018, 09:10:03 am
nope. just in touch with reality.

you're mentally ill..... severely, mentally ill......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HeathWimp

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2018, 06:22:26 pm

Very reasonable post.  Morris will be better than Bert.  But for the reasons you mentioned, hoping for more than 7 or 8 wins a year is pretty naïve. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

blueridger

I don't want to take sides in this Hogville Days of Our Lives episode, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.  Coach Morris does NOTHING half ass'd.  He took a job in the SEC West....the toughest and best conference in college football.  His current level of motivation and work ethic is the same as it was when he came to Clemson.  Your University and now my favorite college football team WILL be a top-tier team in the SEC West within 36 months.  He will be YOUR HC for a long time.  Get used  to him, and get used to winning. 

The NewEra

Quote from: blueridger on February 16, 2018, 02:06:34 pm
I don't want to take sides in this Hogville Days of Our Lives episode, but that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.  Coach Morris does NOTHING half ass'd.  He took a job in the SEC West....the toughest and best conference in college football.  His current level of motivation and work ethic is the same as it was when he came to Clemson.  Your University and now my favorite college football team WILL be a top-tier team in the SEC West within 36 months.  He will be YOUR HC for a long time.  Get used  to him, and get used to winning.

Please, do feel free to take sides and post more often.  +1 Sir!

Vantage 8 dude

Be that as it may I seriously doubt that should CMM prove you wrong you'll have the gonads as well as vocal cords to admit such. I was a CBB supporter for a long while, first 3 1/2 seasons for sure; however, after the swoons we began experiencing in late 2016 I was forced to begin reassessing my attitude and support. While it wasn't easy admitting I was wrong, it rarely is for any of us, I was willing to do so after I was forced to rethink things. IF it doesn't work out with CMM and company I will undoubtedly be forced to do so again. However, since none of us know the future, at least no mere mortal I know, none of us can be sure of anything. You seem to feel you do with unerring accuracy. Fine, obviously one of us will be proven wrong. For the sake of the Razorback program I most certainly hope it is you.

BTW you mentioned Norvell or Kiffin as your preferences. Obviously neither was hired. Sounds to me that by virtue of that fact alone you're "butt hurt" enough to automatically trash Morris' chances. I would think a true Hog fan, despite his disappointment, would do everything he could to support the new HC in every word and deed until/unless the hire is proven to be an unwise one. After all there will be more than enough opportunity to criticize and otherwise slam the hire if the FACTS warrant.

The NewEra

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 16, 2018, 02:38:40 pm
Be that as it may I seriously doubt that should CMM prove you wrong you'll have the gonads as well as vocal cords to admit such. I was a CBB supporter for a long while, first 3 1/2 seasons for sure; however, after the swoons we began experiencing in late 2016 I was forced to begin reassessing my attitude and support. While it wasn't easy admitting I was wrong, it rarely is for any of us, I was willing to do so after I was forced to rethink things. IF it doesn't work out with CMM and company I will undoubtedly be forced to do so again. However, since none of us know the future, at least no mere mortal I know, none of us can be sure of anything. You seem to feel you do with unerring accuracy. Fine, obviously one of us will be proven wrong. For the sake of the Razorback program I most certainly hope it is you.

BTW you mentioned Norvell or Kiffin as your preferences. Obviously neither was hired. Sounds to me that by virtue of that fact alone you're "butt hurt" enough to automatically trash Morris' chances. I would think a true Hog fan, despite his disappointment, would do everything he could to support the new HC in every word and deed until/unless the hire is proven to be an unwise one. After all there will be more than enough opportunity to criticize and otherwise slam the hire if the FACTS warrant.
+1

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Disagree with you 100%, but respect the way you put it. We'll have to agree to disagree and let it play out. I know we both hope you're wrong.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

liljo

COme to think of it, it WAS about the time of the hire that I personally joined Hogville.

I promise I wasn't planted by the University, but I have seen several posts from long-time posters that indicate us "newcomers" opinions don't seem to stack up against all the old-time accounts around here. I think that's downright hilarious.  ;DI mean, seriously, some people have posted so long on Hogville they actually believe they know more than everyone else. ???

Let me get this straight...Are you indicating that all us Countless New Accounts are somehow associated with Coach Morris, the University, the BOT, etc. in some mastermind plan to bolster Coach Morris' chances for support? :o

Well, here's what happened with me. I was so excited about the new hire, the exciting new direction the program was taking, that one idle day of "googling" anything Hog-related, I stumbled, quite by accident, upon this site. And JOINED. And have really enjoyed it, even when I encounter folks that probably wear tin-foil Hog-hats.

Best of luck to ya, dude. Be sure and check your blood pressure twice daily, and eat a heart-healthy diet.
::hornsdown:: ;) ::hornsdown::

OLEJACKETFAN

I am also a new Poster. folks can look at my previous Post and realize why I joined HOGVILLE.  For those that look at his SMU record, you really need to know the whole story. He turned the Offense around and made it one of the better Offenses in the Nation. I really believe he missed on his DC hire. Malone just wasn't able to get any Athletes that could help and his game planning was suspect. Most games were SMU trying to outscore the other Team!  CM was going to make a DC change at SMU, but when the Arkansas job came open he just left Malone behind. SMU released Malone. I believe CM knew he had to get a Top DC to be competitive at Arkansas. I believe that's what he did! Arkansas will score points, and a lot of them, no doubt about that. Chavis just needs to slow the other Offenses down some! And I feel like he will get that done. I don't know the AD but I do know he came from Houston. So he has watched CM for 3 years at SMU. No AD would hire a Head Coach he didn't believe in and risk his own Career!

Inhogswetrust

February 17, 2018, 08:27:29 am #90 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:10:24 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 04:05:21 pm
And your style is to blindly follow.  That is fine....for you.   We'll see, i'm sure after 8 years of mediocre football, the kool aid that you drank will wear off and you will finally see...... and you'll say, "We hired a guy with a 14 - 22 record??   What were we thinking??"  In the meantime, keep drinking the kool aid.   

I'm an Alum.  Damn right I'm a blind follower. That's what fans do. I will do so until proven I shouldn't. As a fan that should be the expectation. Get some proof first before passing judgement on the coaches. Records at SMU show proof of improvement and any new coach deserves a chance to prove themselves at their new job first.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Gonzo

Quote from: jcbville on February 14, 2018, 04:41:59 pm
Tacos are delicious

And just occasionally you log on in the morning to find at least one undebatable, undeniable, positive truth observed on Hogville.

I can now commence with my day in peace.

Go Hogs!

LZH

I liked the idea of Norvell. Good thing I'm not the one that hires coaches, because obviously there's a reason he's still in Memphis. Then I wanted Gus. I thought the instant splash with recruits and the national media would be huge...but he played us for another chance at a NC run at Auburn. Then there was Scott Frost. If Nebraska didn't have an opening I think he very well may be in Fayetteville today.

So we come to Morris. After I snooped around, I saw: strong ties to Texas recruiting, helluva play caller, no-nonsense guy, believes in defense, and not only wants to be paid big $ but wants to frikkin win.

We've got the right guy.

Horse racer

I was all in on the Lane Train. But the energy of this staff has me very optimistic about our future!

LZH

Quote from: Horse racer on February 17, 2018, 10:31:25 am
I was all in on the Lane Train. But the energy of this staff has me very optimistic about our future!

He's a young Bobby Petrino without any brain/mouth filter.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on February 17, 2018, 10:35:05 am
He's a young Bobby Petrino without any brain/mouth filter.
Well having observed some of CBP's vocal "contributions" to the world, I would hope that CMM is somewhat more judicious with his comments.

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 17, 2018, 10:40:09 am
Well having observed some of CBP's vocal "contributions" to the world, I would hope that CMM is somewhat more judicious with his comments.

Tru dat.....but I was referring to Kiffin.

Vantage 8 dude

Well at the risk of being called a "sunshine pumper', accused of "drinking the kool aid" or other such nonsense I found a perfect quote to put my thoughts and attitude toward CMM and his new staff into words. It has to do with optimism. "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"--Winston Churchill.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jabberjawls on February 14, 2018, 05:34:23 pm
Really ;) ??? Go back and reread (if you even bothered to do so the first time around) the definition of "objectivity". If so you'll clearly see there's not an objective bone in your body. You epitomize the phrase "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's made up?. BTW since you're obviously the president of the "Conspiracy Club of America" where did you get these indisputable "facts" as it applies to CMM's hiring and Jerry Jones' (supposed) meddling? Sit in on the negotiations did you ??? ::) :o

SooieGeneris

You go on your little lawyerly tirade and accuse the poster of not having facts straight. You have no room to talk. Auburn hired Gene Chizik in 2009 from Iowa State with a head coaching record of: 5-19. Sarcasm alert: I wasn't a math major, but I believe 5-19 is WORSE than 14-22.

I guess you could fall back on saying his record wasn't EXACTLY 14-22 as a lawyer might do. I'm sure I could come up with other examples of high D1 schools hiring a HC with records of 14-22 or worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Chizik
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?