Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Fraud Arrests - how it affects sports

Started by DoctorSusscrofa, September 26, 2017, 09:34:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorSusscrofa

Four assistant coaches in basketball arrested by FBI for corruption in recruiting. One Auburn, one Okie St, one USC-W, one Arizona.  Do arrests affect cheating in football?
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

I guess nobody wonders if the Auburn assistant basketball coach might know of cheating in any other sports.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

NaturalStateReb

I think basketball is just more corrupt than football.  There's a whole AAU problem present there that's not present in football.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 26, 2017, 09:58:24 am
I think basketball is just more corrupt than football.  There's a whole AAU problem present there that's not present in football.

That may be right.  I do wonder, though, if actual arrests for fraud might scare a few cheaters in football into either quitting or squealing.  It's one thing to get NCAA sanctions and another to be hauled into court on a felony.

3kgthog

We'll find out more once those arrested start making plea deals. If I'm Auburn, look out.

Arazorbackguy1

Calling it now, Calipari will have to vacate his championships at UK when he's found to be a part of this.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 26, 2017, 10:37:36 am
Calling it now, Calipari will have to vacate his championships at UK when he's found to be a part of this.

According to court documents the scheme involved a school in the state of Kentucky.  It didn't name the Wildcats, but the investigation does include a Ky school.

311Hog

September 26, 2017, 10:54:43 am #7 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:06:08 am by 311Hog
this investigation could finally be the one that blows up this sham we all know is going on with the "business decisions" being made and high lvl basketball and football recruits.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cityhog

Kevin

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 26, 2017, 10:51:39 am
According to court documents the scheme involved a school in the state of Kentucky.  It didn't name the Wildcats, but the investigation does include a Ky school.

louisville
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cambridge Hog

This buys Jeff Long another 5 years. He will spin it as the boat we are in is much better than Auburn, Ole Miss, et al

younghog

GO HOGS

HogHomer

Quote from: younghog on September 26, 2017, 11:26:45 am
Not HOG related..

DON'T CARE
Then DON'T read. This is a going effect a lot of schools and not just in basketball.

Cambridge Hog

Not HOG related..

DON'T CARE

If we have ever recruited against Auburn or Ok State it does. Players being paid to go to these schools and busted by the FBI, not the toothless NCAA

Adam Stokes

Not HOG related..

DON'T CARE

Yep, because Archie and Malik leaving for business decisions wasn't Hog related. Get real.

Kevin

Not HOG related..

DON'T CARE

I would not assume anything at this point. all coaches are probably sweating today
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tusks

I don't know how anyone can be shocked by this.  All of college sports is corrupted. 

In the long run we may find out that this is an example of why Perry went to MSU.  I'd say that college football isn't far behind.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HognotinMemphis

I hope some P5 universities have their tax-free status called into question by the IRS, at least on major sports revenues ($5 bottles of water anyone?).
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on September 26, 2017, 10:37:36 am
World Wide Gus, baby. He's the original real deal. Man of vision and genius. Cal is teflon at KY. They will not be vacating anything.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

younghog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on September 26, 2017, 11:31:23 am
If we have ever recruited against Auburn or Ok State it does. Players being paid to go to these schools and busted by the FBI, not the toothless NCAA

REACH of DOTS

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 11:54:55 am
I would not assume anything at this point. all coaches are probably sweating today

My money says MA runs a good ship..

Quote from: HogHomer on September 26, 2017, 11:30:22 am
Then DON'T read. This is a going effect a lot of schools and not just in basketball.

SPIN..
GO HOGS

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: tusked on September 26, 2017, 12:17:11 pm
I don't know how anyone can be shocked by this.  All of college sports is corrupted. 

In the long run we may find out that this is an example of why Perry went to MSU.  I'd say that college football isn't far behind.
MSU = adidas

TrueBlue

"Among those arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying high school basketball players or their families for committing to sign with a university sponsored by Adidas. The complaint identifies $250,000 in payments made by Gatto and other co-defendants."

Interesting to see if they "reveal" whom was given payments. You won't have to wait for an NCAA investigation now that the Feds are involved. It will be cut and dried.

Could make for an interesting year in college basketball.

Bacons Rebellion

With good reason. In basketball, you can make your team with one great player so there's a greater reward / risk profile. You can't do that in football -- it (usually) takes massive cheating on an SMU / Ole Miss scale.

LRHawg

Quote from: TrueBlue on September 26, 2017, 12:56:04 pm
"Among those arrested was James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, who was accused of paying high school basketball players or their families for committing to sign with a university sponsored by Adidas. The complaint identifies $250,000 in payments made by Gatto and other co-defendants."

Interesting to see if they "reveal" whom was given payments. You won't have to wait for an NCAA investigation now that the Feds are involved. It will be cut and dried.

Could make for an interesting year in college basketball.

Didn't we already suspect that part of why Perry decommitted from us, and committed to Miss State, was because of a possible shoe deal/branding with Adidas?

earshot

What is the Crime that was committed? I know it is against NCAA rules but what federal crime says you cant pay someone to go to a particular school?

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: earshot on September 26, 2017, 01:13:03 pm
What is the Crime that was committed? I know it is against NCAA rules but what federal crime says you cant pay someone to go to a particular school?

Bribery. Felony...

ShadowHawg

This

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2017, 11:21:53 am
louisville

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-needs-give-louisville-basketball-death-sentence-bombshell-allegations-prove-correct-181930063.html

Pat Forde lives in Louisville- he is calling for the death penalty. 

I do not say this to defend BB in any way- coaches have to win.  And Jeff Long has to hire winners.  BUT to the large contingent of people on HV who still believe this school should have continued to employ someone who lacked integrity:  here are the fruits of that tree.  Rick Petino has been sketchy for a long time and now the University that was willing to look past that in the pursuit of championships has a very real chance of having no future in the sport for a very very very long time.   

Mike Irwin

I've been told that the four arrests are a fraction of what's really out there. Supposedly it's happening in football too. The NCAA is a horrible enforcement agency. We'll see if the NCAA is better.

My guess is they're going to put the squeeze on these coaches to try to root out more of the cheaters. (actually law breakers)

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 26, 2017, 12:31:19 pm
World Wide Gus, baby. He's the original real deal. Man of vision and genius. Cal is teflon at KY. They will not be vacating anything.

World Wide Wes.... William Wesley of CAA.

Drop the Mike

Looks like you might be able to rent the YUM! Center out really cheap in the near future

azhog10

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 26, 2017, 02:47:22 pm
I've been told that the four arrests are a fraction of what's really out there. Supposedly it's happening in football too. The NCAA is a horrible enforcement agency. We'll see if the NCAA is better.

My guess is they're going to put the squeeze on these coaches to try to root out more of the cheaters. (actually law breakers)
Football is pee wee compared to what's going on in basketball. I've seen it for years in the club circuit. I knew the NCAA would never do anything about it, it's like a known understanding between them and the NBA. NCAA benefits by keeping these 1 and done guys for a year and profits off of them, the NBA is happy because that's what their players union wants, and a big grey cloud isn't following these athletes for breaking rules.

Football has just started into the "club" world so to speak.

MrKnowItAll

Makes you wonder who are the biggest sponsors of AAU teams?

Hogs49ers

Quote from: MrKnowItAll on September 26, 2017, 04:23:17 pm
Makes you wonder who are the biggest sponsors of AAU teams?

Adidas I would imagine.  Pretty clear who they are talking about from this article:  "Kim said the managers and financial advisers were "circling blue-chip prospects like coyotes" and that "employees of one of the world's largest sportswear companies [was] secretly funneling cash to the families of high school recruits."
SCREW Vandy!

bville_hog

Wooderson

All kinds of possible tax evasion scenarios.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

TrueBlue

If the NCAA had a backbone, schools like Miami would have been penalized heavily when they were caught before and they wouldn't still be doing the same thing over and over. (For example, the Shapiro mess - which paid a lot of players money.)

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/university-of-miami-basketball-involved-in-ncaa-adidas-corruption-probe-9701650

Another basketball school that needs the death penalty is North Carolina with all of the academic fraud.

onebadrubi

Money laundering
Wire fraud
Tax evasion
and I'm sure I am missing a few.  You have to also consider these funds were intentionally allocated wrong on the books.  You start *** with a publicly traded company and this becomes big deal real quick.

Knot2brite

I have always suspected that MA has run an clean program due to the fact that big named recruits knew he wasn't going to play the money game and weren't interested in Arkansas. The bigger names that he did get probably came because of a honest connection with him. I am not surprised that Howland'sname is connected with this because he has proven to be a absolute snake and Pearl as well. I have never liked AAU basketball unless it was run by a high school coach with a decent reputation but those are few and far between
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

onebadrubi

Quote from: Knot2brite on September 26, 2017, 09:01:05 pm
I have always suspected that MA has run an clean program due to the fact that big named recruits knew he wasn't going to play the money game and weren't interested in Arkansas. The bigger names that he did get probably came because of a honest connection with him. I am not surprised that Howland'sname is connected with this because he has proven to be a absolute snake and Pearl as well. I have never liked AAU basketball unless it was run by a high school coach with a decent reputation but those are few and far between

We've always known the AAU circuit was a money funnelling system for college basketball.  Some coaches have learned to really get involved with it (Coach K, Roy W., Cal, etc) and some stayed away from it because they hated it like Nolan. 

hobhog

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 26, 2017, 10:51:39 am
Louisville
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

clutch

Lots of them. These schools were creating false invoices so that they'd have a way to access the money to funnel to players.

azhog10

Quote from: clutch on September 27, 2017, 08:38:36 am
Lots of them. These schools were creating false invoices so that they'd have a way to access the money to funnel to players.
I would also bet its safe to say no one filed any of these "payments" in their income taxes......

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on September 27, 2017, 08:40:29 am
I would also bet its safe to say no one filed any of these "payments" in their income taxes......

Adidas did as cost of doing business, not sure exactly where on their GL they put it though. These payments were on their books, which I have to believe is where the Feds got started.

mizzouman

It could spill over into football.  But, yes, basketball is more corrupt given the AAU scene and shoes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: mizzouman on September 27, 2017, 08:54:23 am
It could spill over into football.  But, yes, basketball is more corrupt given the AAU scene and shoes.

Has Martin been mentioned anywhere?

mizzouman