Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should the NCAA step in.....

Started by rude1, March 23, 2006, 12:07:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

and make it against the rules for a coach to do commercials that are run during the NCAA tourney? I think everyone knows why I bring this up. This is at least the second year in a row such commercials featuring Coach K have been run during the tourney. Now they can feed us the BS that it's not a recruiting advantage all they want, but even the casual observer knows that it is a tremendous advantage. It's the same as making an in home visit all across the country at the same time. Are we to believe that the top highschool players don't watch March Madness? I know the Duke program has plenty to sell without those commercials, and with that said, why is it necessary to run those commercials now? I'm not hating on Duke, because if another program was to win a couple of NC in a row, I'm sure the advertisers would be beating on their door also to do a commercial. IMHO the only way to keep the field balanced is to make it against rules for any coach to pump ads that are going to be run during the NCAA tourney, with the exception of ads for non-profit organizations.

HoopS

Maybe we should use our coaches on Wal-Mart and Tyson commercials.

Tomhog™

You think the NCAA is going to interfere in what CBS wants to do when they are being paid millions by them?  It's something that should be done to help level the playing field, but when it comes to their pocketbook, they will look the other way...

Calling All Hogs

Tomcat your picture at the bottom shows why they always say do not leave your luggage unattended at
the airport. LOL

HoopS

With our luck, Dale will be on Emerald Nuts commercials before long.

pfrg999

Yes they should.... It is a recruiting tool... And we just have the Tools
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: hoophogs on March 23, 2006, 12:14:54 pm

"Hi!  This is Stan Heath for Tyson Foods.  I'd like to tell you about the new microwavable chicken Fresh Legs..."

HoopS

Oh my!  Flkeys I'd +1 ya if I could.  That was good.

hogsNbeer

Well I, for one, think it terrible that CBS doesn't show more scantilly clad women during the tournament, and regularly scheduled shows for that matter..... Thanks..... :razorback:

pfrg999

"Hi this is Stan Heath for Wal-mart... The only thing they don't have are Shooters and Point Guards" I should know...I looked everywhere and can't find any"
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

dmhog v3.0

The NCAA should, but they won't. I don't see a problem with coaches doing TV commercials for local companies and businesses, but not huge corporations. Duke is getting easy national exposure which could only help their recruiting. Then again, they don't need the help or free publicity so maybe it's a moot point.

HoopS

March 23, 2006, 12:31:36 pm #11 Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:33:43 pm by hoophogs
Ha!  Man, ya'll are forcing me to sign on and give +1s.  Except for you beer man. Jk

hogsNbeer

I don't see what the big deal is....... I don't see  young kids growing up to want play for Duke because they saw Coach K in a Chevy, or Amex commercial...or a high school recruit........  If it was the coach from Bradley this wouldnt' be an issue..... But, it's Duke...

hogfan064

Lou Holtz did commercials for some hotel chain while coach at South Carolina. 

dmhog v3.0

Maybe it upsets me because it is Duke. Everytime I see Coach Kryeiamdnasuorjmasuadocjmsjapweski, I cringe. I think that's the reason I'm so against him doing commercials. Yeah...

WestMemphisHogFan

I agree with you rude1.  Each time I see the commercials I feel that Duke was just given another edge in recruiting, a house visit to millions of potential recruits.  The problem with me is showing the commercials during March Madness.  I don't really  have a problem with them at other times, but IMO it is inappropriate and unfair to allow them during March Madness!  And it's not just because it is Duke, I don't believe it would be right even if Stan Heath were doing the commercials.

hogfan064

Speaking of basketball commercials is anyone getting tired of the Dickie V. Dijorno pizza commercial?  It was funny when it was aired the first time during last year's March Madness.  Now its just annoying.

3kgthog

I'm still trying to figure out why Chevrolet would want Coach K as a spokesman. I doubt he's going to convince anyone to go test drive a Chevy let alone buy one. The man probably doesn't even own a Chevy. I hate Fords, but at least you know Toby Keith actually drives an F-150. Coach K in a Chevy is as believable as Tiger Woods in a Buick.

hogsanity

If Duke needed an advantage then I would be upset, but come on, is any kid going to sign with Duke because coach k is on a commercial?

How about the NCAA do something about travelling and moving screens first. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 23, 2006, 01:04:04 pm
I'm still trying to figure out why Chevrolet would want Coach K as a spokesman. I doubt he's going to convince anyone to go test drive a Chevy let alone buy one. The man probably doesn't even own a Chevy. I hate Fords, but at least you know Toby Keith actually drives an F-150. Coach K in a Chevy is as believable as Tiger Woods in a Buick.

Good point.  What do you think Coach K. drives.  A Lexus maybe? 

LA HAWG

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 23, 2006, 12:26:14 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on March 23, 2006, 12:14:54 pm

"Hi!  This is Stan Heath for Tyson Foods.  I'd like to tell you about the new microwavable chicken Fresh Legs..."

That is awesome FLKeysGuy, + 1 and congrats on becoming a Hogvillian.

dmhog v3.0

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 23, 2006, 01:09:32 pm

Good point.  What do you think Coach K. drives.  A Lexus maybe? 

I'd say something a little more humbling. Like an H2. Those are nothing more than Chevy Tahoes underneath.

Hog-On-Fire

"If Duke needed an advantage then I would be upset, but come on, is any kid going to sign with Duke because coach k is on a commercial?"

Hit the nail on the head. I'd be upset if it were Kentucky or UCLA, but every player Duke gives a scholie offer to is going to take it anyways. They have everything to offer, so the commercial is a mute point.

Hog-On-Fire

I don't remember the kids name, but Nolan offered a kid after the 94 National Championship and the kid said he "need to think about", so Nolan revoked the offer immediately. Duke does that, but they don't have win a championship to do it. If you don't want to offer then the next guys will, and he won't have to think about.

mikeirwin

The NCAA has too many rules.
We don't need any more. Coach K is a marketable personality.
If Stan Heath had won 3 national titles and were on those commercials we'd be talking about what great pub it was for the Hogs.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hoophogs on March 23, 2006, 12:31:36 pm
Ha!  Man, ya'll are forcing me to sign on and give +1s.  Except for you beer man. Jk

Sticks and stones come to mind... 

HoopS

fyi, i gave you +1 too.   just because.

sticks and stones may break your bones, but smites will never hurt you.   Is that how it goes?

qakhed

Stan Heath doing a spray and starch commercial:

Hi, I'm Stan Heath, Coach of the Razorbacks. Ever notice how crisp and clean my shirts look? It's because I don't move or get excited on the bench. And by the way, I don't press! I use spray and starch.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hoophogs on March 23, 2006, 02:15:41 pm
fyi, i gave you +1 too.   just because.

sticks and stones may break your bones, but smites will never hurt you.   Is that how it goes?

Hey.... That's pretty good......+1

HoopS

Quote from: hogsNbeer on March 23, 2006, 02:18:06 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on March 23, 2006, 02:15:41 pm
fyi, i gave you +1 too.   just because.

sticks and stones may break your bones, but smites will never hurt you.   Is that how it goes?

Hey.... That's pretty good......+1

feel free to borrow that line anytime you need it.