Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Octane (Times article about Malzahn)

Started by HBTHogs, March 22, 2006, 08:15:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Great article!  The only thing I noticed (I'm nit-picking here) is that Sabin refers to Malzahn's "no-huddle, spread offense" at least a couple of times.  If you have read Gus's book, he is very careful to point out that his offense is a "hurry-up, no-huddle" offense, that can be employed with any formation, and that the spread happened to fit well with his players at Springdale and Shiloh.  I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a hurry-up, no-huddle, I-formation a lot next year.

bdutt

"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: bdutt78 on March 22, 2006, 09:29:11 am
is it football season yet?

Spring practice next week!  If the weather is good I plan on going to the final scrimmage game.

PigMan

March 22, 2006, 11:13:46 am #5 Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 02:37:09 pm by PigMan
For those that don't back that far, the atmosphere now is like it was in the sixties and seventies.  We had a NUMBER of very skillfull "young lion" coaches then that imparted an air of confidence to the fans. We knew that even if we did not win all the marbles, we would at least be in the fight and we usually were. The present staff With Coaches Gus, Felix and Herring elicit that kind of feeling. "Not to worry as all is going to be okay."  We are going to have a lot of fun in the near future. IMHO...

hog caller

who's going to anchor the middle of the ofensive line? and how do we stand at guard?

HogbybirthHornbyright

This offense is going to take quite a bit of depth in the secondary and on the O-line. We seem to have recruited well in the secondary, but I'm concerned about the guys up front. Any comments on our depth at that poistion?

hogbalz

Spring red/white game still scheduled for April the 15. I will be coming in that week and would love to go see. Thanks
In doing your work in the great world, it is a safe plan to follow a rule I once heard on the football field: Don't flinch, don't fall; hit the line hard.
--Theodore Roosevelt

If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing, then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his jacket on.
--Lou Holtz

Porky OLeary

I'll be there april 15th for the red/white game, then on to the baseball game against kentucky.

Calling All Hogs

"What's good is he's run the power, the counter and some of the same running plays we ran," Nutt said. "For us, it's a no-brainer. You don't want to mess with that. You want to keep going."

Not sure what Nutt means here. Sounds like Nutt wants to keep the running game dominate. Who knows with Nutt.

Razor6

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 23, 2006, 01:53:40 am
Quote from: CallMeHog on March 23, 2006, 12:09:45 am
"What’s good is he’s run the power, the counter and some of the same running plays we ran," Nutt said. "For us, it’s a no-brainer. You don’t want to mess with that. You want to keep going."

Not sure what Nutt means here. Sounds like Nutt wants to keep the running game dominate. Who knows with Nutt.

Those are the only two running plays Nutt ran.  It's like a broken record.  I don't want us to abandon the run.  Iin fact, for us to be successful I think we need to be slightly above 50% in the run, but not 65% or whatever it was last year.

Broken record, perfect example...  We will go 50/50 with a slight lean one way or another depending on the game and... "what the defense gives us"...

We're still 6 months too many until it all happens...

-R6
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

wildhogman

"What’s good is he’s run the power, the counter and some of the same running plays we ran," Nutt said. "For us, it’s a no-brainer. You don’t want to mess with that. You want to keep going."

Those are the only two running plays Nutt ran.  It's like a broken record.  I don't want us to abandon the run.  Iin fact, for us to be successful I think we need to be slightly above 50% in the run, but not 65% or whatever it was last year.
I dont care if we only pass 15 times a game a long as we avg 30 yrds a pass, that will keep the safties honest because they will know if they cheat to stop DMac we will pass for long yards.
It will be nice to see an Offense that actually takes what the Def gives and destroy them.

Fatty McGee

" Nutt added Malzahn to his staff Dec. 9 and decided he would give up calling the plays after doing so for eight seasons at Arkansas."

Yes, I'm sure NUTT decided he would give up calling the plays.  He's just that kind of humble.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

DOGALUM

You obviously forgot about our most successful running play.....the 3rd and long draw!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!