Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is what I think Coach Heath is thinking (Recruiting wise)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 21, 2006, 09:15:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

March 21, 2006, 09:15:36 pm Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 09:19:42 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Its a first come first serve recruitment IF Brewer decides to stay for his senior season.  Now if he bolts for a big payday then he will attempt to get both Patrick Beverley & Ramar Smith. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mtownhog

Makes sense.  If brewer leaves, do you think it would be better to go after both or save a scholarship for a 2007 recruit?

NuttsSacked

Scholarships are granted annually.  Sign them both and lose some dead weight if necessary. 

I'm almost certain Heath would lose a scholly for a year or so, but those boys sitting on the end of the bench aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: mtownhog on March 21, 2006, 09:24:31 pm
Makes sense.  If brewer leaves, do you think it would be better to go after both or save a scholarship for a 2007 recruit?

Click the below photo to article it should explain a lot -

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

lunchbox72703

well, at least heath is stating that he needs three point shooters.  lets just hope his recruiting prowess can land him one or two.

hogfankb

"I say if Ronnie's decision is to stay here, I think that will effect somebody else's decision," Heath said. "I definitely know we will land at least one guy and maybe even two."

Sounds like he thinks we are a lock for both of these kids. Just depends on what brewer does.

Hey Stewie. I haven't heard much about welsh. Maybe because I wasn't on here while we were recruiting him but you got any articles on how he has performed this year?

hawgjowls

i figured if washington did not make his score that scholarship could/would go to the other one.

Hogs4Ever

Sign them both regardless if Brewer stays or leaves.  We need these guys!

The_Bionic_Pig

March 22, 2006, 09:42:15 am #9 Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 10:01:43 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: hawgjowls on March 22, 2006, 08:40:18 am
i figured if washington did not make his score that scholarship could/would go to the other one.

1 Point away and is awaiting another test result in the next week or so....will get several more tries before this fall,
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogFanLR

Quote from: NuttsSacked on March 21, 2006, 09:26:44 pm
Scholarships are granted annually.  Sign them both and lose some dead weight if necessary. 

I'm almost certain Heath would lose a scholly for a year or so, but those boys sitting on the end of the bench aren't exactly lighting up the scoreboard.

I am not exactly sure of how it plays out, but as I understand it..the progress toward degree rule makes it much more difficult to cut a scholarship.  You can cut it but you may end up losing it totally.  Don't count on being able to take players off scholarship to make room.  I know they have that agreement with Preston and that may be the extent of what they can do.....it is a complex formula and I have not figured it out. (maybe someone else can chime in)

The_Bionic_Pig

March 22, 2006, 10:00:45 am #11 Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 10:04:58 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: hogfankb on March 22, 2006, 08:01:31 am
Hey Stewie. I haven't heard much about welsh. Maybe because I wasn't on here while we were recruiting him but you got any articles on how he has performed this year?

Here is all I could dig up -

1/03/2005 (Duke Article)

Stefan Welsh (6-3, Junior)

Woodside

The Woodside player who is getting a lot of attention from major schools is Stefan Welsh. Wake, UNC, NC State, Georgia Tech and several other ACC schools are evaluating the Woodside junior who wants to attend school with his good friend and top 4 power forward Vernon Macklin. The coach gets the pair is going to enjoy a ton of talent. What the coach won't enjoy is if Welsh displays the same selfish attitude and poor behavior that he displayed at times during the Holiday Invitational. Welsh was conspicuously absent from the All-Tournament Team and he probably didn't help his chances when he slipped a cheap shot elbow into the ribs of an opposing player in the championship game.

But if you can look past some of that behavior as the immaturity of youth you'll see a player with blazing quickness, a streaky outside shot that will get better, and willingness to play defense. He's projected as a shooting guard in college – which is good since he can be a black hole on offense – but he has the handle to play the point if needed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/6/2005 (Article on Stefan Welsh & Ramar Smith) Click Me
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/10/04 (Stefan Welsh the football star) Click Me
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11/11/05 (Dudley Dawson Article) Click Me

03/22/06 (Nate Allen Article) Click Me

Follow his recruting from 07/12/04 - Click Me
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

March 22, 2006, 10:07:45 am #12 Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 10:09:43 am by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 22, 2006, 10:03:51 am
Former McGehee standout Washington (6-10, 235) is a guy who still needs to improve his ACT score and whom Heath expects to know more about his availability in the next week or so to add him to the deep front court.

Great. Another Lamptey. Way to go Stanley.

Naah Imhoggin....Washington I think scored a 16/17 on his last ACT attempt and he averaged 26 points and 14 rebounds and eight blocked shots last year.  He is 6'10 but is quick enough to play SF cause he can handle the ball pretty well for his size. Julius Lamptey was slooooow getting up and down the court.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The real Hogules

Washington is ONLY one (1) point away from getting the needed score to be eligible next season and will almost assuredly make that, if he hasn't already (Michael Washington is awaiting the results of his latest attempt).
He'll be here and he is NO Julius Lamptey, this kid can flat out ball!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfankb

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 22, 2006, 10:00:45 am
Quote from: hogfankb on March 22, 2006, 08:01:31 am

Here is all I could dig up -

1/03/2005 (Duke Article)

Stefan Welsh (6-3, Junior)

Woodside

The Woodside player who is getting a lot of attention from major schools is Stefan Welsh. Wake, UNC, NC State, Georgia Tech and several other ACC schools are evaluating the Woodside junior who wants to attend school with his good friend and top 4 power forward Vernon Macklin. The coach gets the pair is going to enjoy a ton of talent. What the coach won't enjoy is if Welsh displays the same selfish attitude and poor behavior that he displayed at times during the Holiday Invitational. Welsh was conspicuously absent from the All-Tournament Team and he probably didn't help his chances when he slipped a cheap shot elbow into the ribs of an opposing player in the championship game.

But if you can look past some of that behavior as the immaturity of youth you'll see a player with blazing quickness, a streaky outside shot that will get better, and willingness to play defense. He's projected as a shooting guard in college – which is good since he can be a black hole on offense – but he has the handle to play the point if needed.

I like that we beat out those caliber of schools supposedly. I don't like the attitude issue or the "black hole". What happened with the Macklin kid? Streaky shooting? Sounds like he will fit right in.

I do love how all of these kids are suppose to be very willing to D it up.

hawgjowls

but if we sign both smith and beverly that will cut down on the scholarship we can give to the 07 class and that thing is loaded with sanchez, kid from junction city, ravern johnson, etc..
do you want both smith and beverly if you have to leave 1 or 2 of those 3 off?  i dont think so.

Boner

I've heard their are issues other than the ACT.  Maybe he doesn't have the right core classes.

I have no inside info whatsoever, but my gut tells me he won't be here.