Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pictures from the frozen tundra of George Cole Field (Ark/Cent. 03-21)

Started by Reaganite, March 21, 2006, 08:32:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Reaganite

About three weeks ago I ordered tickets for me and my family to today's baseball game.  It was about 68 degrees and Spring was all but here.  Just after 2am this morning, I got on Hogviille and noted that the game time had been changed due to the cold weather.  I'm only off on Mondays and Tuesdays so this is one of only a couple of games I will be able to attend.

We got there and the temp never rose above 36 degrees.   ooooche.  So, we were five of the 728 in attendance today and I must say for my first upper level baseball game we enjoyed it very much.  Especially since our boys were able to easily get autographed balls after the game.

I thought I'd post some pictures for those of the over 5,000 that paid and didn't get to go or the ones there in spirit.  There's 17 pics here, so it may take some time to load.  I'm just now feeling my fingers and ears and it's been about an hour since we've been back home in Fort Smith.

Without further adue... the boys of winter:

For some reason the Hog Spa wasn't on today...

Parker, doing what most were doing to keep the fingers warm...

"Boy we sure miss Hawaii"...

Ribby spots my eight year old...

And made his day...

Gilbert, our crafty lefty...

The RBI girls warming up, in the words of Rick Shaffer, the large number of fans in attendance...

Here's one way to make fans feel warm...

Coach Van Horn and one of the few times both hands weren't in his back pockets to stay warm...

Craig Gentry, continuing to make an "impact" for our Hogs...

Gentry just stole 3rd...

The Infield Fly Guys...

Another Papa John's pitching change...

Nice hi-res pic of some of our defense...

Look forward to going again sometime.  Thanks to those of you wo didn't use your tickets in front of third base as I really prefered those seats to the ones in the outfield. ;)

CharlieHog

Glad you had a good time, too bad the weather wasn't better.

Cool pics.

Reaganite

Yes, we had a blast.  It was nice to be there for Gentry's homer.  I work for the city where he hails from and it was a thing of beauty.

mtownhog

msudawgs64

10-2 Hogs..nice pics by the way.  Big hot chocolate day I presume.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

NuttsSacked

Looks like Stanky Field when the Hogs played Oklahoma State in Mobile, AL earlier this season.  Cold as all get out (wind chill in the teens) and very few in attendance.

Luckily, a South Alabama representative invited everyone into the heated club suite behind home plate.  That made the win much more enjoyable.

Reaganite

I think I spent about 30.00 in hot chocolate at 3 bucks a pop for the crew.

After I got home I watched the Channel 5 replay and got a laugh out of Irwin's comments that he sent a crew to the game and watched the live feed from his warm office.  Must be nice having job perks like that!

zwhogfan

razorhead69

I had a whole section to myself. It was fricken coooooold. I lasted 4 innings and couldnt feel my toes.

chiefsfan

The day it Iced at the end of February, I sat through an ASU game with about 15 other people.  Luckily one of our players parents brought a heater, and so we all took turns going to tell them how well their kid was playing

And it was a doubleheader that day too...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Reaganite

Quote from: razorhead69 on March 21, 2006, 09:48:08 pm
I had a whole section to myself. It was fricken coooooold. I lasted 4 innings and couldnt feel my toes.

We waited 2 innings in 118 then moved into the area next to third base so that the concourse could block some of the bone chilling wind running down our necks.  We had a great time and I can only imagine what it must be like watching when you're not in constant cold pain with a few thousand more hog fans.

I will say though that heckling the other team was easier.  There was a dude out in the hog pen tormenting the hell out of the Gents left fielder and the whole stadium could hear him.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Reaganite on March 21, 2006, 09:37:34 pm
I think I spent about 30.00 in hot chocolate at 3 bucks a pop for the crew.

After I got home I watched the Channel 5 replay and got a laugh out of Irwin's comments that he sent a crew to the game and watched the live feed from his warm office.  Must be nice having job perks like that!
I spent too many days at old George Cole Field to freeze in my old age. They had a tiny space heater in the press box that warmed about 2 cubic feet of air. The media used to fight over that space. In those days I would have never dreamed of being able to sit back at the TV station and tape the game in 72 degree comfort. I love modern technology.

hogfan13

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 21, 2006, 09:25:35 pm
Big hot chocolate day I presume.
I think I bought 2 things of it. 1 30 minutes before and 1 during

CharlieHog

Quote from: Reaganite on March 22, 2006, 12:28:48 am
We had a great time and I can only imagine what it must be like watching when you're not in constant cold pain with a few thousand more hog fans.

It's definitely nice when the weather warms up, and we're playing an SEC opponent, and there is a packed house.

But there is something sort of charming about being one of hundreds instead of one of thousands.

You got to get a taste of what Hog baseball was like before June 2004. ;)

Reaganite

Like I said, it was a lot of fun, in spite of the hypothermia.  My eight year old was able to get several autographs with his hog ball in one hand and a pen in the other. 

He was amazed that the players would do that for him. 

So here's a big thank you to the ones who stuck around in the cold afterward and made his day.