Previous topic - Next topic

Who thinks it will come down to the end before they know the starting qb

casey dick
147 (68.7%)
mitch mustain
67 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Randall baumgartne

I think when it is all said and done casey will be our qb,but I do think mustain will make make good run for it.

HOGLUVIN

Whomever is most prepared at game time.

LA HAWG

I honestly think Mustain will Redshirt.

silverhawg

I hope the coaches have the good sense to redshirt mustain, he'll need that extra year to prepare for the speed of the sec defenses, plus gives the hogs one more year to get an nc.

Chappeee

Is Casey Dick really all that much better than M Mustain?  He had one good game against LSU.  Other than that, he had two wins against the two Mississippi teams that were not very good, and a loss against South Carolina.  He only has four more games in experience than Mustain, and Mustain has been in Malzahn's system for a while.

Mustain is not the kind of QB that is going to sit around for three years and wait for Casey D to finish his eligibility.  HEY ARKANSAS:  you went through so much to get Mustain here--USE HIM !!!!  WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ???

hogfan064

If Mustain starts against Southern Cal that would mean he really is "That Good" 

What I hope doesn't happen is Arkansas starts off slow and Nutt puts Mustain at QB in an attempt to try and save his job.  I hope HDN wouldn't do anything like that.

Randall baumgartne

I don't think mustain will red shirt I think he is to competive to set back and watch action he will in my view go for the job.

qakhed

I think that it is a crappy deal for Dick. He went above and beyond what was expected of him last year. I agree, Mustain won't just stand on the sideline. You think maybe they alternate plays/drives. If not, I think we will lose one or the other.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

LA HAWG

Quote from: Randall baumgartne on March 20, 2006, 03:00:26 pm
I don't think mustain will red shirt I think he is to competive to set back and watch action he will in my view go for the job.

In most cases it is not the player's decision as to whether or not he redshirts.  That is up to the coaches.

SupaCrawf

The longer Casey is our QB, the longer we can make funny phrases involving his last name!
I'm kind of a big deal.

qakhed

Randall baumgartne

I agree qakheds post I think no matter what it should be casey's job to lose. I think casey done a great job for us at the begining of last spring casey dicks name wasn't ever heard,but when we needed him to step up he did

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 20, 2006, 03:05:08 pm

In most cases it is not the player's decision as to whether or not he redshirts.  That is up to the coaches.

Not just any player.

Burnt Orange Sucks

Big difference playing against the Van Buren defense and the Alabama defense. Experience tells me Dick in the early going
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

WILL CLINTON

We have no idea which one is a better handeroffer, so there is no way to answer this question until Mustain hands off to DMac for the first time. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2006, 03:23:06 pm
We have no idea which one is a better handeroffer, so there is no way to answer this question until Mustain hands off to DMac for the first time. 

brilliant +1

JustoHogFan

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 20, 2006, 02:14:10 pm

What I hope doesn't happen is Arkansas starts off slow and Nutt puts Mustain at QB in an attempt to try and save his job.  I hope HDN wouldn't do anything like that.

Well dont be suprised if this does happen, hell thats what he did with matt jones, If not for Matt Jones he wud have already been shiit canned

LA HAWG

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 20, 2006, 03:12:29 pm
Quote from: LA HAWG on March 20, 2006, 03:05:08 pm

Not just any player.

True

mutdog

Do you think that Gus will decide who starts?

Randall baumgartne

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2006, 03:23:06 pm
I wish you would noy say that it gives me chill bumps to think about handing the ball off 4-5 times surley gus will spread the offense down the field

HOGLUVIN

Yes. I believe I read somewhere that Gus would look at both and whomever was most prepared to start would. If Dick could pick up Gus's offense in time he would, if not then it would be MM. If memory servese me correctly.

RBLtoHOG

I HOPE Mitch Redshirts and from what Ive heard.... thats what Mitch WANTS to do
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

qakhed

mutdog

I think there is no way that Mustain redshirts.  Look at this scenario.  In game 4 Casey is injured before half time, not bad but will be out the rest of the game.  Who else are you going to put in?

Woogie

If Mustain redshirts and Dick struggles or gets injured, we are looking at Robert Johnson back under center again.  Yeah, they could pull Mustain's redshirt 4 or 5 games into the year if this scenario played out, but I think we would all agree that this would be essentially wasting a year on Mitch.  I think we would all agree that we want to maximize all of his time here and if that scenario with Dick/Robert Johnson happens, we could be looking at this. 

qakhed

FLKeysGuy

I believe Mitchell will begin competing for the starting roll the moment he's eligible (enrolled).  He said that if the coaches (Gus and Alex) feel he's ready to start when the season gets here, he'll trust their judgement.  He said that if they do not feel he's ready, he'd like to redshirt.  Just knowing how competitive Mitchell is, I'd say there's a very good chance we'll see him in the USC game.

PigPusher

Casey starts early and Mitch begins his schooling to become an SEC quarterback. By mid season he will be standing on the sideline red shirted but otherwise ready to go if needed.  Casey's poor play or an injury would insertMitch into to game.  If Casey's play remains sound and he stays free of injury then Mitch's redshirt will be perserved for 2006.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 20, 2006, 04:13:20 pm
I believe Mitchell will begin competing for the starting roll the moment he's eligible (enrolled).  He said that if the coaches (Gus and Alex) feel he's ready to start when the season gets here, he'll trust their judgement.  He said that if they do not feel he's ready, he'd like to redshirt.  Just knowing how competitive Mitchell is, I'd say there's a very good chance we'll see him in the USC game.

I hope so.... thanks for the knowledge.

qakhed

I agree, if Casey drops the ball (figurativly speaking I guess) bring Mitch on!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 20, 2006, 04:17:51 pm

In early June on the first day of summer school, you'll likely find new student named Mustain on campus.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 20, 2006, 04:21:53 pm
Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 20, 2006, 04:17:51 pm

In early June on the first day of summer school, you'll likely find new student named Mustain on campus.

BRILLIANT!!....will have to wait a .5 hours before I can applaud again....

mikeirwin

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on March 20, 2006, 03:35:06 pm
I HOPE Mitch Redshirts and from what Ive heard.... thats what Mitch WANTS to do
Not exactly. He wants to redshirt if they don't name him the starter in September. In other words he doesn't want to be asked to save the team in the 8th game of the season after riding the bench the first 7 games.

mword

Casey Dick - I don't think Nutt is going to start Mitch right off. As a matter of fact, I don't think Mitch will start until the 2007 season, unless Dick turns out to be really good this season.

DOGALUM

Mitch will start.   

This is not a post to bust on Casey Dick.....he seems to be a very capable QB.  But the talent difference between Mitch and Casey is a big one. 

Whatever "experience" advantage Casey may have over Mitch is more than overcome by superior talent and knowledge of the offense.  (Not to mention a keen familiarity with the man who will start the year as the #1 or #2 WR.)

Again......this is not meant as an anti Casey Dick post.....as I'm sure he'll get plenty of PT over the next few years, and is very capable. 

Anyway.....Mitch will start. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

By the way..........is everyone else as EXCITED as I am to be talking about FOOTBALL once again?!?!    Can't stinkin wait!!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

The_Bionic_Pig

I can't wait to see you guys choose between Nathan Dick & Khodi Burns ...  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 20, 2006, 08:37:59 pm
I can't wait to see you guys choose between Nathan Dick & Khodi Burns ...  ;)

Won't have to... Mitchell will be THE quarterback.  Yeah, I'm biased, but I know what I'm talking about.

Flatfoot

I think Casey deserves the job unless, and I repeat unless M-16 truly wins the job in the fall.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

HamHands

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 20, 2006, 02:14:10 pm

Sarcasm! I hope. Nutt WON"T start a freshman until the middle of the season. He will not change. I would have to see it to believe it.
One day at a time.

twistitup

Dick will start. He has already played 'big boy' football on both the college level and against top tier talent while in Texas. While in high school Casey faced all state, D1- defensive backs, linebackers, DE, etc...week in and week out. Casey Dick has seen a totally different level of talent than Mitch. The speed of the game is much different against top tier athletes and Mitch will need time to adjust.

Mitch will be the man, no doubt, but I have a feeling he will have to wait his turn.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

The great thing about all of this is that we finally have a couple of coaches (NOT THE NUTT) who will evaluate the talent and then decide.  We don't have to worry about an incompetent coach choosing someone arbitrarily when everybody else seems to know who looks like the best QB.

Thank God for Gus and Alex Wood.  This is one area we can sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

Overall game management, on the other hand.....
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: twistitup on March 20, 2006, 09:10:27 pm
Dick will start. He has already played 'big boy' football on both the college level and against top tier talent while in Texas. While in high school Casey faced all state, D1- defensive backs, linebackers, DE, etc...week in and week out. Casey Dick has seen a totally different level of talent than Mitch. The speed of the game is much different against top tier athletes and Mitch will need time to adjust.

Mitch will be the man, no doubt, but I have a feeling he will have to wait his turn.

I sense a side bet comin' on. 

It will not take Mitchell long at all to adjust.  Plus he's been throwing to Damian, Andrew, and Ben for 3 years and has the timing down -- not to mention knowing Gus' offense like clockwork.  Casey's a good QB, no doubt about it, and he was undisputedly the BEST QB that we saw play for the Hogs last season.  But I believe many people are really underestimating what it means to be the Parade, USA Today, and Gatorade National Player of the Year as a QB.  Fair enough.  Just keep underestimating the guy.  I'll keep collecting my winnings on side bets.  8)

hog caller

easy fellas we still have a couple of other QB"s on campus Mortenson and
isn't Casey's little brother in the wings
he's a pro style QB also.

the line should be better this year those 5 freshman will be season scared sophomores and

when they learn to pass block they will be awesome. that's Markesons job

we need a kicker. hope one show up out of this years crop.

Hollywood_HOGan

March 20, 2006, 09:38:54 pm #45 Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:40:52 pm by Hollywood_HOGan
Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 20, 2006, 09:28:37 pm

It will not take Mitchell long at all to adjust.  Plus he's been throwing to Damian, Andrew, and Ben for 3 years and has the timing down -- not to mention knowing Gus' offense like clockwork.  Casey's a good QB, no doubt about it, and he was undisputedly the BEST QB that we saw play for the Hogs last season.  But I believe many people are really underestimating what it means to be the Parade, USA Today, and Gatorade National Player of the Year as a QB.  Fair enough.  Just keep underestimating the guy.  I'll keep collecting my winnings on side bets.  8)

Mitch will be very very good in time.
You never EVER want to have a true frosh starting for you in the SEC. There is quite a difference between Arkansas HS football and the SEC.

Unless Casey gets hurt or is for some reason ineffective, Mitch will RS IMO.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

March 20, 2006, 09:41:39 pm #46 Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:43:49 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 20, 2006, 09:38:54 pm

You never EVER want to have a true frosh starting for you in the SEC.

He is not your typical freshman.  Sorry, I think Mitch is different than any other freshman QB we have ever seen here...maybe even ANY PLAYER..  I am with FLKeys, my money is on him.

You are using Houston The Nutt logic.  We now have GUS creativity.  The Nutt logic days are coming to an end, THANK GOD!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 20, 2006, 09:41:39 pm

He is not your typical freshman.  Sorry, I think Mitch is different than any other freshman QB we have ever seen here...maybe even ANY PLAYER..  I am with FLKeys, my money is on him.

You are using Houston The Nutt logic.  We now have GUS creativity.  The Nutt logic days are coming to an end, THANK GOD!

Bingo!

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 20, 2006, 09:41:39 pm

Not Nutter logic. Just going by what i've seen in my 16 years of watching football. Haven't been watching it that long compared to other people who post here but you hardly ever see a true Frosh step right in and set the world on fire.

Look at Rhett Bomar from ou. He was #1 and he was so great his first year that he wasn't allowed to throw a pass agaisnt Tulsa. Now he did get alot better but he wasn't Peyton Manning.

You can have frosh star for you but QB is alot different.
I could have choked Nutter for not playing true frosh McFadden and Felix against Vandy but they play at a position where frosh succeed.

Im sure Mitch is really good but Mitch hasnt seen a pass rush like he's seen in the SEC. Plus our line hasnt been able to pass block since 1999.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 20, 2006, 09:52:32 pm
Plus our line hasnt been able to pass block since 1999.

THAT is the biggest concern for ANY of our QB's!!!  I don't care if you're Donovan McNabb, if your line doesn't block, you're on your back.