Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John White is laughing at the fools....

Started by Hoggle, March 19, 2006, 07:38:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Any time you let an "academia type" anywhere near an athletic program you are asking for trouble.  These types, by and large, view athletics as a necessary evil, at best.  If the world was rid of athletics these academic eggheads would party for days.  But, it is hard to vent at White because firing him wont get rid of Nutt or Heath, of course whining on and on about Nutt and Heath apparently wont get rid of the either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on March 19, 2006, 08:07:12 pm
Quote from: Hoggle on March 19, 2006, 08:02:57 pm
Scenario:  Patient has a thorn is his foot, can't function effectively.  Remove the thorn???  No, Dr. Tophog says we should just amputate the foot.  WTH?

Just shoot the patient.  The world doesn't need people who are too dumb to remove thorns from their own feet. 8)

Flkeysguy...you crack me up!  +karma my friend.
Retired Radio Host

DirkPiggler

Quote from: radar on March 19, 2006, 09:53:50 pm
White wasn't involved in the Hatfield, Crowe, Kines, and Ford fiasco, nor was he the reason for the Sutton Crawl, which led to the Richardson years and now the cover Franks' A$$  years of Heath. These blunders were all Franks in one form or another.

Hatfield:  At the time of Frank's "meddling" our program was on its way to an 8-5 season which included a 51-7 stomping at the hands of Miami.  All this happened after being ranked as high as #1 in the preseason.  Our defense sucked, causing Frank to suggest removal of dead weight assistants who were largely responsible for the condition of the defense.  That's what bosses do:  they direct their subordinates when those subordinates aren't performing as well as they should.  Hatfield took offense to this and embarked on a two year campaign to find himself another job and systematically destroy the talent pool for his successor.  I swear Hatfield did the same thing to the football program that Nolan did to the basketball program on the way out.  Fortunately for Ken he wasn't nearly as black or outspoken as Nolan, so he gets a pass from most of the unwashed.

Crowe:  Knee-jerk reaction by Broyles to Hatfield screwing us the week before signing day.  The post-Citadel firing was questionable, but I would sure prefer that kind of decisive action to the acceptance of poor performance we see now.

Kines:    Good guy, good assistant coach.  Do you ever wonder why he's never been a head coach other than his interim stint here?  There was no way Broyles could've kept him.

Ford:  In hindsight he wasn't that great, but at the time he was the big-name hire we all want to see the next time there's a coaching change.  Sometimes things just don't work out.  Even so, without Danny's recruiting we would've never experienced even the limited success we saw in Houston's first two years.  Want proof?  How's Houston's record been since Ford's players graduated?

Sutton:  Anyone who blames Frank one little bit for Sutton's departure is probably suffering from the same disease(s) that are plaguing Eddie to this day.  Vodka bottles under the bench, cocaine, hitting on college girls, yeah, that was all Frank's fault.  For crying out loud, in his last season Eddie went up and sat in the stands with his wife during the second half of a couple of games.  All Frank did was try to get Eddie to sober up and straighten out his life.  Fortunately for us Eddie was already at Kentucky for the inevitable crash.

"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

qakhed

Can't we all just get along???? Just say it, " love ya man"
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

murp

Hoggle is right about White.  The University of Arkansas is a land grant college.  Established in order to educate the masses.  Mr. Whites agenda is one of "exclusion" of the high school  "C" students of Arkansas.  He is an elistist who wishes to turn the U of A into a east coast type magnate school that attracts only the top students across america.  In order for this to happen athletics MUST decline. 

Anyone who is critical of Broyles should take a deep breath and ask themselves, "when did Broyles ability to hire and fire at will end"?  Agree with him or not, he no longer has that power. It is no coincidence that the appearance of Mr. White and other academians marked the shift of power away from athletic directors across america.  Good or bad?  Your call.  I believe that athletics serve a useful purpose in the education of ALL youth, both high school and college.  Mr. White doesn't believe that. 

NEAHAWG

Quote from: Hoggle on March 19, 2006, 07:38:51 pm
John White decided he would take control of the athletic program as had been the trend with college presidents over the last several years.  His first step was to run off Broyles, which is failed at on the surface, but which essentially castrated Broyles and made him Jim Lindsey's bitch - because it was Lindsey who saved his ass. 
THIS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR THE ILLS WE HAVE SUFFERED SINCE.

BAsketball - Nolan, who I thought was the best coach in America when he gave a $#@, had been asleep at the wheel since 94-95.  He had determined that a NC meant he didn't have to recruit/work anymore and he could begin "selecting" players, which he did.  (Justin Hankins, Jason Gilbert, Jason Jennings, Chirs Walker, Larry Satchell, etc.)  Frank saw the downward spiral of the b'ball program and was ready to fix it in 2000.  (Delete Nolan).  John White, in his infinite academic wisdom, stepped in and rewarded "Noland" with a 7 year deal, which the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT (Razorback Foundation) is still paying for to this day.

"Noland's" replacement???  Must go through White's magnificient "selection committee" which pretty much eliminates any big name from any big time (or even decent) program.  Enter Stan Heath, who would not be the coach, good or bad, without White's selection committee format.

Football - Anyone who blames Broyles for this is a TOTAL IDIOT.  Broyles wanted Tubberville, had him in the bag.  Again, White's stinking "selection committee" over ran this and got us a used car salesman that had nothing to lose by publicly grovelling for the job, which is what it took to get it.  Auburn and Ark at similar levels (pretty much) at the time.  Who would you rather be now?  Broyles fault?  Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.  I would bet dollar to doughnuts that Nutt would be gone by now if not for paragraph 1.

Women's basketball - White and Bev (his personification of the new, progressive UA athletic department) decide they don't want a white guy running the women's basketball program and run off Gary Blair.  The two geniuses had total free reign here and scored big getting their first choice Suzie Gardner, leading a nothing program to mediocre results before being hired at UA.  Result, Texas A&M gets Blair and unpresidented success in their women's program.  We're stuck in the crapper.

Baseball - Frank managed to sneak this one through.  See Dave VanHorn.  Complaints?

Bitch about the programs all you want.  Just don't make asses of yourselves by throwing rabid punches in every direction while showing NO understanding whatsoever of how we got here.  White could play the devil in one of those movies where he comes up and sabatoges people's lives then sits back and laughs at the mess while the victims try to put the pieces back together, all the while letting the victims take the blame for the whole mess.  Suckers.

Thanks.
Accurate and true post.  White did try to replace Broyles with Bev Lewis, heard this from two BOT members. 

The only thing I could add to this is White injecting himself into the signing of Coaches and removing them from the evaluation of the AD, like what he pulled in resigning Nolan.  He should have been fired for that stunt.

I want to see JW gone soon.  He would do wonders at Stanford. 

RAZORBART

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 19, 2006, 10:06:11 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on March 19, 2006, 10:01:54 pm
White wasn't involved in the Hatfield, Crowe, Kines, and Ford fiasco, nor was he the reason for the Sutton Crawl, which led to the Richardson years and now the cover Franks' A$$  years of Heath. These blunders were all Franks in one form or another.

Franks fault or fortune, it is all possible by the support of donors, the man can get money to support his causes, that makes him almost untouchable.

Boosters would continue to donate at record levels with or without Frank.  The UofA has the market cornered so to speak.

and the same could be said for White. The donations would have come anyway. Show us how much money was donated from sources other than Ark. alums or Ark. corps that would have donated money to the U of A anyway. You think Wal-mart would have not donated the money if not for White ?

RAZORBART

Quote from: Hoggle on March 19, 2006, 07:38:51 pm
John White is laughing at the fools who want to blame Broyles for the current state of the athletic program.

John White decided he would take control of the athletic program as had been the trend with college presidents over the last several years.  His first step was to run off Broyles, which is failed at on the surface, but which essentially castrated Broyles and made him Jim Lindsey's bitch - because it was Lindsey who saved his ass. 
THIS IS THE FOUNDATION FOR THE ILLS WE HAVE SUFFERED SINCE.

BAsketball - Nolan, who I thought was the best coach in America when he gave a $#@, had been asleep at the wheel since 94-95.  He had determined that a NC meant he didn't have to recruit/work anymore and he could begin "selecting" players, which he did.  (Justin Hankins, Jason Gilbert, Jason Jennings, Chirs Walker, Larry Satchell, etc.)  Frank saw the downward spiral of the b'ball program and was ready to fix it in 2000.  (Delete Nolan).  John White, in his infinite academic wisdom, stepped in and rewarded "Noland" with a 7 year deal, which the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT (Razorback Foundation) is still paying for to this day.

"Noland's" replacement???  Must go through White's magnificient "selection committee" which pretty much eliminates any big name from any big time (or even decent) program.  Enter Stan Heath, who would not be the coach, good or bad, without White's selection committee format.

Football - Anyone who blames Broyles for this is a TOTAL IDIOT.  Broyles wanted Tubberville, had him in the bag.  Again, White's stinking "selection committee" over ran this and got us a used car salesman that had nothing to lose by publicly grovelling for the job, which is what it took to get it.  Auburn and Ark at similar levels (pretty much) at the time.  Who would you rather be now?  Broyles fault?  Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.  I would bet dollar to doughnuts that Nutt would be gone by now if not for paragraph 1.

Women's basketball - White and Bev (his personification of the new, progressive UA athletic department) decide they don't want a white guy running the women's basketball program and run off Gary Blair.  The two geniuses had total free reign here and scored big getting their first choice Suzie Gardner, leading a nothing program to mediocre results before being hired at UA.  Result, Texas A&M gets Blair and unpresidented success in their women's program.  We're stuck in the crapper.

Baseball - Frank managed to sneak this one through.  See Dave VanHorn.  Complaints?

Bitch about the programs all you want.  Just don't make asses of yourselves by throwing rabid punches in every direction while showing NO understanding whatsoever of how we got here.  White could play the devil in one of those movies where he comes up and sabatoges people's lives then sits back and laughs at the mess while the victims try to put the pieces back together, all the while letting the victims take the blame for the whole mess.  Suckers.

Thanks.

Pretty much everything you have said is in line. It was well documented that White not Broyles began the final chapter of Nolan's tenure here. Frank did agree and may have encouraged White but ultimately it was Whites decision and was thoroughly documented in the press and in the trial. White also tried to do an end run on Broyles with a University system mandatory retirement regarding age about the same time he got caught up in the physical plant union ordeal. Broyles was caught in a power struggle with White and got scared and traded some power over the athletic department to Lindsey for support on being able to keep his job until he reached the 50 year distinction.This gave Lindsey the upper hand in keeping Nutt during the Nebraska flirtation when Broyles publically stated that in his opinion Nutt was gone, in other words, we are not going to counter Nebraska's offer so don't let the door hit you in the arse. You are also correct about the implementation of the committee which Tuberville,Self, and many other high profile coaches would NOT subject themselves to the exposure an interview would create. Broyles has traded his soul (power) to Lindsey so he can obtain the 50 year pin and Lindsey needs it to offset White's power surge. I see it as a power triangle where any two can out vote the other much like three guys flipping a coin in an oddman scenario. 2 players can manipulate the guy out on his on (ever been there? it is not a lot of fun). Broyles does still have operational control over the dept. but in major decision making he must consult Lindsey and White or face the threat of losing his pin.This explains why decisions are so slow in coming since it takes awhile to make the rounds and apparently they do not have any sit downs anymore with White. Did you see white present when any of the recent hires were made or pressers or announcements ?
Might indicate unrest amongst the powers ?
Research all you want and go back and review transcripts,etc but don't just shoot the messenger because you dislike what is said.There is a lot more true about what he posted than is not true.

pseudorabies

Quote from: RAZORBART on March 21, 2006, 08:44:20 am

Franks fault or fortune, it is all possible by the support of donors, the man can get money to support his causes, that makes him almost untouchable.

Boosters would continue to donate at record levels with or without Frank.  The UofA has the market cornered so to speak.

and the same could be said for White. The donations would have come anyway. Show us how much money was donated from sources other than Ark. alums or Ark. corps that would have donated money to the U of A anyway. You think Wal-mart would have not donated the money if not for White ?

I think athletics are diffrent than academics.  Its easier to raise money for athletics.  Would people continue to donate to the program if Broyles were gone?  I think they would.

Could the University meet the goal of $1 billion without White?  I don't know.

RAZORBART

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 19, 2006, 11:43:32 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on March 19, 2006, 11:15:13 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 19, 2006, 11:11:37 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 19, 2006, 08:55:38 pm
White never said, Frank you have to retire. But he did want a plan in place for when that would happen.

Shhh Mike, shhh. You can't go trying to interject the truth into the myth of what happened that summer.

SF the fact remains that JFB will not step down or  retire until,  JBF dies, then i will have to say it will be a free for all,until someone gets the nod for the next AD, and it could be anyone.

It likely will be a free for all. Which is what White was trying to avoid a couple of summers ago when he approached Broyles about discussing contingency plans.

But now the question is, who benefits from the free for all? White or others trying to exert influence on The Program?

Do you honestly think White will not trot out "the committee" if Broyles announces his retirement ?

Donald Miller

March 21, 2006, 10:50:16 am #60 Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:51:52 am by Donald Miller
Quote from: RAZORBART on March 21, 2006, 10:08:04 am
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 19, 2006, 11:43:32 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on March 19, 2006, 11:15:13 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 19, 2006, 11:11:37 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 19, 2006, 08:55:38 pm
White never said, Frank you have to retire. But he did want a plan in place for when that would happen.

Shhh Mike, shhh. You can't go trying to interject the truth into the myth of what happened that summer.

SF the fact remains that JFB will not step down or  retire until,  JBF dies, then i will have to say it will be a free for all,until someone gets the nod for the next AD, and it could be anyone.

It likely will be a free for all. Which is what White was trying to avoid a couple of summers ago when he approached Broyles about discussing contingency plans.

But now the question is, who benefits from the free for all? White or others trying to exert influence on The Program?

Do you honestly think White will not trot out "the committee" if Broyles announces his retirement ?

This is the scary part.  ABSOLUTELY!----He'll have something similar that brought us the great legend Houston Testicle and mediocrity will reign just as it does now.

pseudorabies

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 21, 2006, 11:22:52 am
Quote from: NEAHAWG on March 20, 2006, 10:58:38 pm
Accurate and true post.  White did try to replace Broyles with Bev Lewis, heard this from two BOT members. 

You think maybe those two BOT members were saying that to stir up the masses? The easiest way to rally the troops in a state like Arkansas is trot out "He's gonna put a WOMAN in charge of football!!!"

My guess is that Lindsey was one of them that told him that.

RAZORBART

Quote from: pseudorabies on March 21, 2006, 09:27:11 am

I think athletics are diffrent than academics.  Its easier to raise money for athletics.  Would people continue to donate to the program if Broyles were gone?  I think they would.

then why has JFB been appointed chairman on about every donation driven borad ever assembled at the U of A including the one you spoke of ?

Donald Miller

Quote from: RAZORBART on March 21, 2006, 12:00:35 pm

then why has JFB been appointed chairman on about every donation driven borad ever assembled at the U of A including the one you spoke of ?

Good point.............Little known fact too, White rolled in donations from different drives to meet the goal.  Splitting hairs I know but over 2 million came from a fund drive that does not go to the UA but to a fraternity on campus.

pseudorabies

Quote from: RAZORBART on March 21, 2006, 12:00:35 pm

Why wouldn't he be on it at one time or another?  The man has been there for almost 50 years.  What is your point?  If I remember correctly, it was a seven year campaign and had 4 diffrent chairmans.  Broyles served as chairman for about a year. 

NEAHAWG

You think maybe those two BOT members were saying that to stir up the masses? The easiest way to rally the troops in a state like Arkansas is trot out "He's gonna put a WOMAN in charge of football!!!"
Well one of the members was not against having Bev as AD, the other was but I don't think either was trying to "stir the masses," as you put it. 

I give the masses more credit than that.  I wouldn't care one bit if the next AD is a Man or Woman as long as we start competing with the upper level of the SEC not just the bottom. 

According to both BOT members White was going to replace Frank and Bev would get the first shot.  I cannot understand why you media people don't ask John White this question everytime he is interviewed; "Dr. White, did you answer the question we asked or did you answer the question you wished we had asked?" He has told us he is deceitful with the media and yet non of the media has asked that question to my knowledge.  The national press corps would not put up with that.  They are like a dog with a bone.

Now I tried to answer the question you asked. 

Ridgerunnerpiggie

Guys, you all know that nothing is going to happen until people stop going to the games and contributing to the foundation...the great fans at ARKANSAS are part of the problem, myself included.  I mean we still show up to watch Big Ten basketball like its really entertaining and we put in 70,000 to watch us barely compete!  So I guess I should put my money where my mouth is but I sent in an increased dontation to keep my football seats and hope for better basketball seats!

Donald Miller

Quote from: Ridgerunnerpiggie on March 21, 2006, 05:47:03 pm
Guys, you all know that nothing is going to happen until people stop going to the games and contributing to the foundation...the great fans at ARKANSAS are part of the problem, myself included.  I mean we still show up to watch Big Ten basketball like its really entertaining and we put in 70,000 to watch us barely compete!  So I guess I should put my money where my mouth is but I sent in an increased dontation to keep my football seats and hope for better basketball seats!
I cut my donation in football by 2/3s. I'm doing my part.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: Ridgerunnerpiggie on March 21, 2006, 05:47:03 pm
the great fans at ARKANSAS are part of the problem, myself included.  I mean we still show up to watch Big Ten basketball like its really entertaining and we put in 70,000 to watch us barely compete!  So I guess I should put my money where my mouth is but I sent in an increased dontation to keep my football seats and hope for better basketball seats!
Well said Arkansas has great fans.  I believe we can compete and win at the highest level.  Who once said, "People in this state do without so the Razorbacks can have the best, and we will be competative and WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS, we have done it before."

abraHAM_lincoln

All Selection Commitees do, is ensure the hire of the best "Across the Table" performance.  I would prefer a bastard who told a school to kiss his ass about interviewing, becasue his best performance is put on the field...not in front of 5 or 6 weasles looking for their asses kissed.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: abraHAM_lincoln on March 22, 2006, 08:13:24 am
All Selection Commitees do, is ensure the hire of the best "Across the Table" performance. 

There is no doubt about that, LOL

RAZORBART

Quote from: NEAHAWG on March 21, 2006, 03:59:14 pm

Well one of the members was not against having Bev as AD, the other was but I don't think either was trying to "stir the masses," as you put it. 

I give the masses more credit than that.  I wouldn't care one bit if the next AD is a Man or Woman as long as we start competing with the upper level of the SEC not just the bottom. 

According to both BOT members White was going to replace Frank and Bev would get the first shot.  I cannot understand why you media people don't ask John White this question everytime he is interviewed; "Dr. White, did you answer the question we asked or did you answer the question you wished we had asked?" He has told us he is deceitful with the media and yet non of the media has asked that question to my knowledge.  The national press corps would not put up with that.  They are like a dog with a bone.

Now I tried to answer the question you asked. 

Now NEAHAWG there you go polluting this thread with factual statements which just spoils the hell of the cute little innuendos by the local moron from the southwest record stating the following " Shhh Mike, shhh. You can't go trying to interject the truth into the myth of what happened that summer " which he hasn't a clue what the truth is regarding this or  any other event that happens at the U of A.How many times has anyone seen Faldon up here snooping around the U of A for the real story or a true source? I doubt you ever will .He doesn't come to the hill because he knows they dislike him around the athletic dept and the only scoop they would give him would be for dog poop.I wish he would frequent the OU board and hang with his beloved sooner tribe. On Marty Houston's show he blows about the great sooners and down grades the Razorbacks which is his privilege but to act like he has inside information is just ridiculous.And his posts on this board are usually nothing more than an attack on a poster and name calling because as mentioned previously, he has no facts to back up anything  he says.Because of his position with the Ft Smith paper he thinks he intimidates people into believing he knows what he talking about but in actuality, he ain't got a clue.

NEAHAWG

Will you ask Dr. White the question I sited in an earlier post?