Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What the initial bracket of a 8 team play off would look like 2010-2017

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

livevanguy

I heard a new take (at least it was new to me) as to why it will be hard to expand beyond 4 teams. The scheduling of an 8 team playoff would start to interfere with the NFL playoff games. The way it was explained (I can't recall what radio show it was on) essentially there is a fear of viewer burn out if College Football playoffs extended later and coincided with the NFL playoffs. It sounded as though some of the pushback to expand was coming from the NFL and networks over the potential loss in viewers/revenue.

Personally, I don't mind a larger college playoff since I don't watch as much NFL, but it was an interesting take that I had not come across.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Mr Jade

8 teams is perfect, look at NCAA MBB playoff's. No team seeded lower than 8 has ever played into the championship. A 14th, 15th, or 16th ranked team in a 16-playoff series simply wouldn't compete. All P5 conference champions are in, and then 3-at-large teams.

As far as the schedule goes, schedule the first round on the second to last weekend of Dec. and maintain the rest of the schedule as normal.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

hog of steele

Quote from: livevanguy on December 15, 2017, 11:55:57 am
I heard a new take (at least it was new to me) as to why it will be hard to expand beyond 4 teams. The scheduling of an 8 team playoff would start to interfere with the NFL playoff games. The way it was explained (I can't recall what radio show it was on) essentially there is a fear of viewer burn out if College Football playoffs extended later and coincided with the NFL playoffs. It sounded as though some of the pushback to expand was coming from the NFL and networks over the potential loss in viewers/revenue.

Personally, I don't mind a larger college playoff since I don't watch as much NFL, but it was an interesting take that I had not come across.

I think you run into that if you go above 8. One more round would just be played around christmas.

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 06:20:31 am
4 is too few, 16 too many, 8 is just right. JMO

Don't need 8

Need four conferences with championship games.  Winners go to playoffs

Get the do overs out
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hog of steele

Quote from: IronHog on December 15, 2017, 12:05:25 pm

Don't need 8

Need four conferences with championship games.  Winners go to playoffs

Get the do overs out

so 8?

livevanguy

Quote from: hog of steele on December 15, 2017, 12:01:05 pm
I think you run into that if you go above 8. One more round would just be played around christmas.
You are probably correct. If I recall the commentator's point was that if it went to 8, that those later games (around Christmas) would begin to hit the wild-card games. That's a weak argument to me in their larger take on view burnout, but it was something I hadn't seen discussed.

What I like about the 8(+) game option is that it that every few years there seems to be a team that makes it into the top 8-10 that no one thought would be in the mix mid-season. Sometimes these are teams from weaker leagues or whatever. I'd just like the idea of seeing how good those teams stack up against traditionally stronger programs like Alabama. Maybe they are a one-off and can pull out a win, but if anything to me it also helps to resolidify the true power conferences (and teams). We see this type of thing much more in the college basketball, but a 64 team tournament sees too big.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 10:46:59 am

The NFL is how a playoff works. Before the season starts there is a set criteria to get in. There is no committee picking teams, no comparing the entire body of work, etc. You either win your division or you have one of the best records among non-division winners, period. That is how a playoff works.

College football at the fbs level DOES NOT HAVE A PLAYOFF. The have a 4 team invitational tournament, you do not get in unless the selection committee invites you. Winning your conference is no guarantee of getting in. Winning your division no guarantee. Winning all of your games is no guarantee. The only way to get in is if some committee deems you worthy. THAT IS NOT A PLAYOFF!

How do you propose to have a "playoff" under your definition of the word?

The only way to guarantee winning a conference allows a team in is to have at least 10 teams participate. (10 football conferences)

EastexHawg

Quote from: hog of steele on December 15, 2017, 11:00:02 am
I like an expanded playoffs. with that you can have 5 automatic spots. Win a power 5 conference and you are in. This would encourage power 5 schools to play tough early season games. Losing those wouldn't matter and could prepare you for your conference schedule.

This is what I have been saying all along.  Maybe then we wouldn't have to endure Florida vs. Bethune Cookman and Auburn vs. Alabama A&M.

31to6

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 15, 2017, 06:01:53 am
No thanks. 4 is fine. If we go to 8 then some won't he satisfied so the answer will be to go to 16.
As soon as you go to 8 you can take the arbitrary "eye test" stupidity out of 5 of the picks, meaning the beauty contest only applies to 3 "at large" teams, because with an 8-team format you could give auto-bids to the champions of the 5 P5 conferences.

No silliness of a team sitting at home, risking nothing, on the last weekend of the season to see themselves get in over their own conference "champ" because they were fortunate enough to lose their division.

That is the biggest problem with the current format. Going to 8 solves it.

And you can keep the season meaningful by making the first 4 games be home games for the top 4 seeds.

HogT

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am
I'm an advocate of a 8 team play off system. Whether you use a play off committee or the AP rankings, it should be 8 teams. 4 just isn't enough if there is a true play off system. Because the AP has been around longer, that is what I am using here for consistency.

Bad draws for Arkansas in 2010 and 2011 but at least we could have said that we were in the play offs. Who knows what might have happened the second time around against these teams?

I think that this format would have provided more excitement and more good games during bowl seasons that have seemed to be ever more populated with games like Checotah State vs. Hog Waller State in the Odor Eaters Bowl.

2017 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. USC
(2) Oklahoma               (7) Auburn
(3) Georgia                  (6) Wisconsin
(4) Alabama                 (5) Ohio State

2016 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Wisconsin
(2) Ohio State              (7) Oklahoma
(3) Clemson                 (6) Michigan
(4) Washington             (5) Penn State

2015 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. Notre Dame
(2) Alabama                 (7) Ohio State
(3) Michigan St.            (6) Iowa
(4) Oklahoma                (5) Stanford

2014 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Miss State
(2) Florida State           (7) Michigan St.
(3) Oregon                   (6) TCU
(4) Baylor                    (5) Ohio State

2013 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Florida State            (8. S. Carolina
(2) Auburn                    (7) Ohio State
(3) Alabama                  (6) Baylor
(4) Michigan St.             (5) Stanford

2012 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                  (8. Florida State
(2) Oregon                    (7) S. Carolina
(3) Notre Dame              (6) Stanford
(4) Georgia                   (5) Texas A&M

2011 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) LSU                        (8. Boise State
(2) Alabama                  (7) Arkansas
(3) Oklahoma St.           (6) Oregon
(4) Stanford                  (5) USC

2010 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Auburn                    (8. Arkansas
(2) Oregon                    (7) Michigan St.
(3) TCU                        (6) Ohio State
(4) Wisconsin                (5) Stanford

To me the way you would have to do this is to give each conference champion from the Power 5 a slot.  Then 3 at large bids.  This would be the only fair way to do this and it would also add the importance of Conference Championship.
Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

hog of steele

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 15, 2017, 01:00:36 pm
This is what I have been saying all along.  Maybe then we wouldn't have to endure Florida vs. Bethune Cookman and Auburn vs. Alabama A&M.

I think you would still have some of that but just one or two a season for the rest. Most schools would take the massive payouts of playing a tougher schedule knowing that it won't hurt them if they win their conference.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 05:50:29 am
I'm an advocate of a 8 team play off system. Whether you use a play off committee or the AP rankings, it should be 8 teams. 4 just isn't enough if there is a true play off system. Because the AP has been around longer, that is what I am using here for consistency.

Bad draws for Arkansas in 2010 and 2011 but at least we could have said that we were in the play offs. Who knows what might have happened the second time around against these teams?

I think that this format would have provided more excitement and more good games during bowl seasons that have seemed to be ever more populated with games like Checotah State vs. Hog Waller State in the Odor Eaters Bowl.

2017 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. USC
(2) Oklahoma               (7) Auburn
(3) Georgia                  (6) Wisconsin
(4) Alabama                 (5) Ohio State

2016 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Wisconsin
(2) Ohio State              (7) Oklahoma
(3) Clemson                 (6) Michigan
(4) Washington             (5) Penn State

2015 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Clemson                 (8. Notre Dame
(2) Alabama                 (7) Ohio State
(3) Michigan St.            (6) Iowa
(4) Oklahoma                (5) Stanford

2014 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                 (8. Miss State
(2) Florida State           (7) Michigan St.
(3) Oregon                   (6) TCU
(4) Baylor                    (5) Ohio State

2013 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Florida State            (8. S. Carolina
(2) Auburn                    (7) Ohio State
(3) Alabama                  (6) Baylor
(4) Michigan St.             (5) Stanford

2012 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Alabama                  (8. Florida State
(2) Oregon                    (7) S. Carolina
(3) Notre Dame              (6) Stanford
(4) Georgia                   (5) Texas A&M

2011 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) LSU                        (8. Boise State
(2) Alabama                  (7) Arkansas
(3) Oklahoma St.           (6) Oregon
(4) Stanford                  (5) USC

2010 1st Round Match-Ups

(1) Auburn                    (8. Arkansas
(2) Oregon                    (7) Michigan St.
(3) TCU                        (6) Ohio State
(4) Wisconsin                (5) Stanford

There's not a bad game in the lot there Muskogee, to your point.

There is too much time off from conference championship games to the bowl games anyway for the top four.  The 8 playoff would help that by having the eight team playoffs take place mid December and two weeks later play the final four games on Jan 1st.  That way the teams don't get into a funk by going an entire month between games.

I've always been a proponent of the eight team playoff.

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 12:45:55 pm
How do you propose to have a "playoff" under your definition of the word?

The only way to guarantee winning a conference allows a team in is to have at least 10 teams participate. (10 football conferences)

Can't do it under the current set up. I have long been a fan of 4 16 team super conferences. There are 130 fbs team, and a majority of them are just pretending to be fbs. They have to do funky schedule stuff to continue to meet fbs qualification numbers on attendance, and many of them draw horribly and are never going to have the resources to compete. So why not just go to 4 leagues?  Then you could have 2 divisions in each of the 4 leagues and the 8 division winners all make the playoff.

Until then all we have is a invitational tournament, done at the whim of the selection committee.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The NewEra

Quote from: 31to6 on December 15, 2017, 01:07:53 pm
As soon as you go to 8 you can take the arbitrary "eye test" stupidity out of 5 of the picks, meaning the beauty contest only applies to 3 "at large" teams, because with an 8-team format you could give auto-bids to the champions of the 5 P5 conferences.

No silliness of a team sitting at home, risking nothing, on the last weekend of the season to see themselves get in over their own conference "champ" because they were fortunate enough to lose their division.

That is the biggest problem with the current format. Going to 8 solves it.

And you can keep the season meaningful by making the first 4 games be home games for the top 4 seeds.

I would only suggest changing one thing on this.  Conference champions with more than two losses don't automatically qualify. 

The NewEra

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 01:25:06 pm
Can't do it under the current set up. I have long been a fan of 4 16 team super conferences. There are 130 fbs team, and a majority of them are just pretending to be fbs. They have to do funky schedule stuff to continue to meet fbs qualification numbers on attendance, and many of them draw horribly and are never going to have the resources to compete. So why not just go to 4 leagues?  Then you could have 2 divisions in each of the 4 leagues and the 8 division winners all make the playoff.

Until then all we have is a invitational tournament, done at the whim of the selection committee.

I like this!

oldhog63

Quote from: HogT on December 15, 2017, 01:11:33 pm
To me the way you would have to do this is to give each conference champion from the Power 5 a slot.  Then 3 at large bids.  This would be the only fair way to do this and it would also add the importance of Conference Championship.
It's not fair that the P5 champions has to play an extra game while the 3 at large got the week off. Make it 6 at large and have them play the same week as the P5 championships.

SSFrazorback

Quote from: JethroB. on December 15, 2017, 11:07:56 am
I kind of like the idea of 6 teams. Maybe the conference champs for all P5's then a "wild card" or honorable mention of some sort. Maybe 8 i'm ok with that too....

I don't like the idea of a six game playoff, byes are to big of an advantage in such a short amount of time.

I think 8 is perfect.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

For those teams who complain about being #5 or #6 in the current system, here's an idea: DON'T LOSE!

Ohio State fans, you lost to a bad Iowa team... by a lot.
Wisconsin fans, play someone worthy besides the championship game, and if that is your chance to prove yourself, don't lose!

livevanguy

Quote from: gguillo on December 15, 2017, 01:46:57 pm
For those teams who complain about being #5 or #6 in the current system, here's an idea: DON'T LOSE!

Ohio State fans, you lost to a bad Iowa team... by a lot.
Wisconsin fans, play someone worthy besides the championship game, and if that is your chance to prove yourself, don't lose!
This is a good point. Part of the original discussion when the switch to the playoff occured was that it would push teams to schedule tougher non-conference games. Thus, making your strength of schedule (and hopefully wins) part of the discussion with the playoff committee. Hopefully, once we see the improvement we can start scheduling some of those on our end instead of getting a challenge from perceived weaker teams. (Lord help us if we ever play and lose to Portland State!)

Mr Jade

Quote from: oldhog63 on December 15, 2017, 01:34:50 pm
It's not fair that the P5 champions has to play an extra game while the 3 at large got the week off. Make it 6 at large and have them play the same week as the P5 championships.

Many of the at-larges would be G5 champs or losers of the P5 conference game, some like Alabama this year or Armpit State last year would sneak in, but that point they have been playing a tough schedule the whole year. It has some fear to it, but I don't think it would bear out on the whole.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Bubba's Bruisers

Definitely the cleanest approach.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogtimes

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 15, 2017, 09:20:14 am
I agree.

5 P5 conference championships
1 G5 (highest-ranked G5 conference champion)
2 at-large

But then it could be argued that the 2 "at-large" teams are BS. It's a never-ending cycle.

Some years you could have a no name G5 team that was not ranked in the top 20.  Not good at all.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 06:36:40 am
Definitely need 8.  Nice reminder where Arkansas was this time of the year in 2010 and 2011.  Not bad for a school at the bottom of its conference in a terrible location in a state with bad high school football.
Amazing, isn't it?
When we actually had a good coach, look what happened.
Now...I think Petrino did a whiz-bang job and it's not fair to compare everyone to him. But Nutt was in the SEC title game too a few times.
This program does just fine if we have a good coach in place.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2017, 02:49:42 pm
Definitely the cleanest approach.

great thing there too would be that losing ooc games does not hurt you, so there would no longer be a need to pad the schedule with easy wins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 15, 2017, 03:30:20 pm
great thing there too would be that losing ooc games does not hurt you, so there would no longer be a need to pad the schedule with easy wins.

Still wouldn't completely do away with the human element, though.  Someone still has to seed them.  But that's just a minor point.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Svrdhd

The goal is to get the best 2 teams playing in the national championship game. The BCS committee usually got it right, but sometimes there was gray area between #2 and #3. Going to 4 teams COMPLETELY solved this.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

daprospecta

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 06:20:31 am
4 is too few, 16 too many, 8 is just right. JMO
Yep, every year of the cfp, the top 6-8 are easy and the rest are not close really.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: daprospecta on December 15, 2017, 04:40:39 pm
Yep, every year of the cfp, the top 6-8 are easy and the rest are not close really.

Heck, Often times there's at least 1 in the top 4 who's not close.  This is the first year I believe we have 4 teams who are all capable of winning it...sans maybe 2014.  Not one is head and shoulders above the rest, and not one is a pretender.  Best lineup yet.

daprospecta

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2017, 04:48:12 pm
Heck, Often times there's at least 1 in the top 4 who's not close.  This is the first year I believe we have 4 teams who are all capable of winning it.  Not one is head and shoulders above the rest, and not one is a pretender.  Best lineup yet.
Right, that's why so many, including analysts, are suggesting 8 games.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: daprospecta on December 15, 2017, 04:49:06 pm
Right, that's why so many, including analysts, are suggesting 8 games.

And I'm saying I'm fine with that, but it would just put more pretenders into the fold.

870rzrback

HogPharmer

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 15, 2017, 04:51:09 pm
And I'm saying I'm fine with that, but it would just put more pretenders into the fold.

Agreed. I'd love to see more football just for the sake of it being more football. But Wisconsin would have no business being in an 8 team playoff. They proved why the committee tried so hard to keep them out of the top 4 for so long when they played tOSU in their conf championship game. You're just gonna have a lot more fluff with 8 teams.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 15, 2017, 06:01:53 am
No thanks. 4 is fine. If we go to 8 then some won't he satisfied so the answer will be to go to 16.

Exactly.  Right now you have a 15 game playoff  12 regular season games, a conference championship and the 4 team bracket.  Why water it down??

Besides, this year alone should show you 8 is too many. After the first three, there's an argument for the next 10 or so.  Where do you draw the line??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 15, 2017, 05:27:50 pm
Exactly.  Right now you have a 15 game playoff  12 regular season games, a conference championship and the 4 team bracket.  Why water it down??

Besides, this year alone should show you 8 is too many. After the first three, there's an argument for the next 10 or so.  Where do you draw the line??

There first 3?

Billy Bats

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogT on December 15, 2017, 01:11:33 pm

I'm not as into the "fair" thing as much as I am about "who has earned it". Now let's face it, there isn't a perfect way to do this and that is why the argument for a 16 team play off format still exists...the "any given day" thing. I don't necessarily disagree with the 16 team rebuttal but travel expense for teams as well as for fans might become more problematic with that many teams involved. And the "any given day" argument can apply once, but it rarely rears it's head game after game so one time, someone ends up being the spoiler. Not that they couldn't do it more than once. Perhaps a particularly talented but underrated team could accomplish that repeatedly, but I think it would be so rare that the odds of it happening are probably infantesimal.

So, eight teams seems to be a more ideal number that might be able to gain support among administrators at universities because it could occur during a period of time that follows "finals" but is over before the spring semester begins (the Saturday before Christmas, the Saturday of Christmas week and the Saturday after Christmas). This stuff of having Championship games on weekdays is purely ludicrous though I realize that the networks want it for sole viewership. Bottom line, the networks will telecast the game whenever it is scheduled.

Back to the "fair" thing. There would have to be some reorganization of the system that evaluates teams. Anytime people (or a panel of people) are involved, there is going to be some degree of bias involved. That said, it cannot be left entirely to the computers and quantitative analysis, because errors can be made there as well. I'm not sure what the best solution might be, but common sense tells us that those who make the final eight should do so at least in part due to their W-L results vs their SOS.

If Wisconsin (example) plays their way into contention by winning the Big Ten and beating the Eastern Division Champion, they should be considered, but not necessarily given an automatic bid. The same would go for any other team that won their conference. If your entire conference generates a tremendous SOS and you beat them to win the CCG, then yes, you deserve consideration. If you win your conference when 60% or 70% of your schedule have losing records to in-conference and out of conference P-5 opponents, you probably don't deserve consideration despite having won your CCG.

There is no easy answer but I am all about those who deserve to be there being involved over the traditional "fair" concept of auto-bids to Conference Champions. That's just how I feel about it though that would probably be a difficult argument to win with the people in power who control how all of this goes down.
Go Hogs Go!

31to6

Quote from: The NewEra on December 15, 2017, 01:28:35 pm
I would only suggest changing one thing on this.  Conference champions with more than two losses don't automatically qualify. 
Seems a little arbitrary but ok I guess.

My thinking is that the odds are low, but leaving it possible leaves room for a team that is playing their best football when it matters.

So, just keep it simple. Win and you are in.

Don't win? Then you go to the beauty pageant.

BTW committee would still have a job since they would have to seed the 8 teams.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The methodology used is terribly flawed.

AP rankings have been biased BS since its inception.

The proper version is breaking up the conferences into 12 regionally based 10 team conferences. Busting up the conference TV contracts for a singular NCAA contract with revenue sharing and independent 3rd tier media right for each school. Then it's really simple. Winner of each conference gets in. There are 4 wildcard spots for the best remaining 4 teams and rankings are used solely for seeding purposes.

All the junk bowls go away, they're financial pits for 6-6 schools with small fanbases. TV ratings are poor and sponsor money is the only thing keeping them alive and that is dwindling big time.

We love football but what we're seeing w/ the ratings and attendance declines what we love more is meaningful football. Each conference plays a 9 game round robin schedule, get 2 OOC match ups a year maybe 3, but 3 is overkill and not really necessary but could help preserve some traditional rivalries. However, those rivalries typically would be rolled into the new conference alignments.

We could get rid of the Savannah St. and Nicholls St. type games that do no-one any good. Each conference game would have some meaning and the 2 OOC you schedule won't kill your chances at the playoff but would only help you if you scheduled harder OOC so you'd have a better resume to pitch for the wildcard spots if you don't win your conference.

The teams that play for the title only play one additional game than they do now. I think fan interest would return in this kind of set up
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

bphi11ips

This is exactly correct.  Are we closer than we used to be to a "playoff"?  Yes.  But what we have is a tournament.  I didn't have a problem with bowls and polls.  They were the primary distinction between college and the NFL, other than "amateurism".  The mythical element keeps butts in seats.  If you've ever tried to take clients to an NFL game after your team has been eliminated from the playoffs you know what I mean. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

870rzrback

The more playoff teams you add, the less important the regular season is.  The reason college football is better than the NFL is every game matters. 8 team playoff will sometimes mean 3 loss teams in the playoffs. Even having 4 teams it makes it ok to lose 2 games a year as long as it's to the right teams. That's just stupid. Do people really think that if a team like auburn loses 3 games but teams like Ohio State and USC or whoever go undefeated that it's fair to give auburn a shot at the championship. That's what an 8 team playoff will do

SchrodingersHog

Eight teams selected by the same computer program used before we got this crap committee.  No need to realign conferences, or pay any attention to how many teams from this or that conference. 

Dr. Starcs

Big 12 should dissolve.

4 power conferences of 16 teams each. 2 divisions of 8 within each conference.

Conference championship games  are the "elite 8" and conference winners make up the "final 4".

bphi11ips

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 15, 2017, 08:06:57 pm
Big 12 should dissolve.

Conference championship games  are the "elite 8" and conference winners make up the "final 4".

Have said this for a few years.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

870rzrback

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 15, 2017, 07:20:21 pm
It is?
Yeah it is. Way better. Any league that can place a team with a losing record in the playoffs is pretty sh*tty. JMO

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 06:36:40 am
Definitely need 8.  Nice reminder where Arkansas was this time of the year in 2010 and 2011.  Not bad for a school at the bottom of its conference in a terrible location in a state with bad high school football.
I know your agenda, but go back and look at the roster in 2010-2011 and where did the core studs of that team come from, if your honest with yourself you will see it disproves mostly what you keep trying to push.

Billy Bats

Quote from: 870rzrback on December 15, 2017, 08:21:58 pm
Yeah it is. Way better. Any league that can place a team with a losing record in the playoffs is pretty sh*tty. JMO

Reminds me of watching 5 win teams with no talent play in bowl games.  Super exciting.

jcbville

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 15, 2017, 08:06:57 pm
Big 12 should dissolve.

You may get your wish given that 1) when they had a chance to extend the GOR for the conference, they didn't, 2) they studied who they could invite that would add to the value of the conference and decided none of those studied would do that and 3) the teams who receive a greater share of conference revenues (Oklahoma and Texas) have not suggested anything inclined towards more equal revenue sharing for the conference and 4) the media deal they have is going to come to head (especially with ESPN as it relates to the LHN) in the next few years. Their current GOR's ends in 2025.
Go Hogs Go!