Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas mens' sports in SEC.

Started by oldbooniehog, January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

If you go with 1991 as the join date, that's 27 years.

If you go go with the 1992 join date for football, that's 26 years.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

That was the basketball team in 2000, or 18 years ago

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

One SEC title every 27 or 26 years.

woo pigs, etc.

Wooderson

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm
Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991 in all sports but football, and football in 1992.

Over that time period, the football, basketball and baseball teams have combined to win exactly 1 SEC title game.

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

That is what you should expect of Razorback football, baseball and basketball combined.

woo pigs, etc.

It's depressing.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

KateHog

Done with losing or winning.
It's just a sport.

oldbooniehog

Wooderson, it's not just depressing.

It's a clear indication of what Arkansas fans should expect, year after year after year.

No hope of an SEC title.

No hope of national "relevance."

I laugh every time somebody on this board yearns for the Bobby Petrino days in football.

The BEST team Petrino ever had at Arkansas finished THIRD in the SEC West.

It does NOT matter who coaches at Arkansas.

Arkansas has been, at best, a second-tier program for long, long time now.

Boardon Hamsay

A thread like this should come around every 26 or 27 years.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Pig Worshipper

Arkansas Razorback athletics means mediocrity. Mike Anderson is mediocre and we just hired a new head coach in football who will be completely mediocre. Dave Van Horn is the lone bright spot among the three sports I actually care about. I actually have hope that our baseball Hogs may someday win a championship.

I have no hope that under Mike Anderson and Chad Morris we will be anything but mediocre.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

oldbooniehog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 06, 2018, 06:30:41 pm
A thread like this should come around every 26 or 27 years.

Only it's reality, year after year after year, decade, after decade.

Math doesn't lie.

Arkansas is exactly what its record says it is.

ONE SEC title in 27 or 26 years in football, baseball and basketball combined.

Quick, somebody start a thread how Arkansas doesn't get any respect on the national stage!

hogfooey

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:29:31 pm

It's a clear indication of what Arkansas fans should expect, year after year after year.

No hope of an SEC title.

I laugh every time somebody on this board yearns for the Bobby Petrino days in football.

At least give us the 2nd place finish in 2010.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 06, 2018, 06:31:25 pm
Arkansas Razorback athletics means mediocrity. Mike Anderson is mediocre and we just hired a new head coach in football who will be completely mediocre. Dave Van Horn is the lone bright spot among the three sports I actually care about. I actually have hope that our baseball Hogs may someday win a championship.

I have no hope that under Mike Anderson and Chad Morris we will be anything but mediocre.
And you call yourself the Pig Worshipper?
I love off season Football!!

Oliver

We've done A piss poor job of running our athletic programs since then. 

We've had one good coach in football since then and arguably two in basketball. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:40:49 pm
Only it's reality, year after year after year, decade, after decade.

Math doesn't lie.

Arkansas is exactly what its record says it is.

ONE SEC title in 27 or 26 years in football, baseball and basketball combined.

Quick, somebody start a thread how Arkansas doesn't get any respect on the national stage!

Are congratulations in order for proclaiming the obvious?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 06, 2018, 06:53:00 pm
Are congratulations in order for proclaiming the obvious?

Instead of congratulations, can I instead get several hundred bottles of fine whiskey so I forget about the obvious sorry state of affairs I just stated?

KateHog

oldbooniehog

KateHog

When is stating THE TRUTH "bashing" the program?

Math. Does. Not. Lie.

The program is what the numbers say it is.

How on earth is that "bashing?"

I am seriously asking you this question and looking for your answer?

This the truth.

Since when is "the truth" bashing?

redeye

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 07:06:47 pm

When it's used to proclaim "woe is me".

hogcards

Quote from: Oliver on January 06, 2018, 06:51:10 pm

Long has been canned.  Things should improve.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

TexArkHogFan

I know your figures only include football, basketball and baseball but what about track.  We are not only a SEC power but also a national power.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

oldbooniehog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on January 06, 2018, 07:14:39 pm
I know your figures only include football, basketball and baseball but what about track.  We are not only a SEC power but also a national power.

yaaaay, track

We're a powerhouse in track.

Everybody looooooves track, right?

Go track!

Hogarusa

Tbf to the basketball and baseball teams, nobody cares who wins those tournaments. Sweet 16 and CWS much more important. That doesnt help my argument much but it is better
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

East Clintwood

I must have missed the second one.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ChicoHog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:19:27 pm

Numbers. Do. Not. Lie.

woo pigs, etc.
That was a conference tournament basketball championship right?  What about regular season basketball?  That's more important in my mind.   Didn't we win that in the 94 season?  Not that it makes much difference. 

ChicoHog

You're thinking Petrino for football I assume, Richardson for basketball (for about 5 years then he was not good) and who else in basketball?  Not Heath, Pelphrey or Anderson!  What am I missing? 

hogcards

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 06, 2018, 07:35:30 pm
You're thinking Petrino for football I assume, Richardson for basketball (for about 5 years then he was not good) and who else in basketball?  Not Heath, Pelphrey or Anderson!  What am I missing?

The program became truly awful as soon as Long took over.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

IronHog

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 06:29:31 pm

No hope of an SEC title.

Well that BP team was also likely the 3rd best team in the nation on a year with two all time great defenses

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Knot2brite

You probably want to take the baseball team out of this conversation because they have been to the CWS 4 times and no one in the Sec gives a flying darn about the sec title because they are all saving their pitching for the NCAA touney and this next year one of the major pundits for baseball has predicted that the Hog win the CWS. Now whether that happens or not is yet to be seen in June. But take that we are what we are darn and leave it with football and basketball but don't put that darn on baseball...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 06, 2018, 07:31:30 pm
That was a conference tournament basketball championship right?  What about regular season basketball?  That's more important in my mind.   Didn't we win that in the 94 season?  Not that it makes much difference. 

We won the SEC regular season conference championship in basketball in 1992 (first year in league) and 1994.

I would rather have won the regular season championship in basketball than the SEC tournament.

Some people even think the 1994 National Championship was a more prestigious win than the SEC tournament championship.

Obviously not the OP though.

Haven't done much since 1995. Why not start there to make your point OP? 

Didn't think going back only 23 years was depressing enough?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 07:47:00 pm
You probably want to take the baseball team out of this conversation because they have been to the CWS 4 times and no one in the Sec gives a flying darn about the sec title because they are all saving their pitching for the NCAA touney and this next year one of the major pundits for baseball has predicted that the Hog win the CWS. Now whether that happens or not is yet to be seen in June. But take that we are what we are darn and leave it with football and basketball but don't put that darn on baseball...

A couple years ago, Hogs were Preseason #1 in baseball and failed to make it to the CWS.

I have personally been to 2 Hog CWS games in Omaha last 6 years.

Hog baseball team has won 0 Conference Championship games and 0 CWS titles.

In fact, the Arkansas Democrat Gazette ran an article last year, just before Arkansas played LSU for SEC baseball title, stating that Hogs were something like 1-14 all time in SEC title games, with the long exception being the 2000 basketball team.

Of course, Arkansas lost to LSU in the baseball championship game last year, because that's what  Arkansas does.

IronHog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on January 06, 2018, 07:49:34 pm
We won the SEC regular season conference championship in basketball in 1992 (first year in league) and 1994.

I would rather have won the regular season championship in basketball than the SEC tournament.

Some people even think the 1994 National Championship was a more prestigious win than the SEC tournament championship.

Didn't think only going back 23 years was not depressing enough?

The OP was another guy that couldn't get the net

They stunk at sports so you do too
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

oldbooniehog

Didn't think going back only 23 years was depressing enough?

23 years is not much different that 27 years.

Yes, 1994 basketball team is lone exception in decades of being pretty much second fiddle by every other metric.

And that was, as you say, 23 (or is it now 24?) years ago.

How old is the oldest player on the 2017-2018 Hog basketball team again???

Knot2brite

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 07:51:33 pm
A couple years ago, Hogs were Preseason #1 in baseball and failed to make it to the CWS.

In fact, the Arkansas Democrat Gazette ran an article last year, just before Arkansas played LSU for SEC baseball title, stating that Hogs were something like 1-14 all time in SEC title games, with the long exception being the 2000 basketball team.

Of course, Arkansas lost to LSU in the baseball championship game last year, because that's what  Arkansas does.

Warm fuzzy's that you went to a couple CWS games...I
Have been to more that they played...reality is that the Hogs are a top 10 program in  NCAA baseball no matter how many titles they have won and will more than likely be the next program to win a NCAA championship at Arkansas ...take your boo hoo post and make it about football and basketball if you want but leave baseball alone because of the big three...it has been the most successful

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteYes, 1994 basketball team is lone exception in decades of being pretty much second fiddle by every other metric.

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

SPAL

The SEC baseball tournament, by and large is irrelevant. Nobody cares who wins it. You play for Omaha. I don't care how you slice it, the baseball team is successful. Not everyone wins a trophy. That's unfortunate. But we are successful on the diamond. We are year in and year out considered elite.

Right now, we are picked to win it all by some writers. We recruit at an elite level. And have elite facilities.

Please leave baseball out of your woe is me attitude.

redeye

Nolan didn't care about the SEC tournament.  For our first 5 seasons in the SEC, Arkansas was the best team, regardless.  I'm pretty sure we finished ranked higher than any other SEC school during those years.

Our baseball team is picked by many to win it all this season and we've come close in football, despite the lack of a title.  Ole Miss has never even been to the SECCG, but I'm sure the OP will come up with some reason why they're better.

Oliver

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 06, 2018, 07:35:30 pm

Anderson was the arguable part

Leadbelly

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 07:51:33 pm

Hey, you are more depressing than a turd in the proverbial punch bowl! Find a new team/school to cheer for or shut up. You. Are. Depressing. !
"I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man."

hogsanity

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 07:06:47 pm
KateHog

When is stating THE TRUTH "bashing" the program?

Math. Does. Not. Lie.

The program is what the numbers say it is.

How on earth is that "bashing?"

I am seriously asking you this question and looking for your answer?

This the truth.

Because no one wants to admit it it may actually be the program that's the problem. Instead they want to blame the ad or say they just keep hiring bad coaches or 100 other excuses. Perhaps its actually the program. Being in a state that produces precious few legit sec football players and until the recent times very few sec basketball players ( & many of them dont play here ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteAnderson was the arguable part

You'll get no argument from me on that point.

Sorry FCJ.

MA needs to get to the sweet 16 with this team.  If not, he needs to retain Gafford.

If no Sweet 16, and Gafford goes out the door, MA needs to be right behind him.

Hawghiggs

So are we ready to build the new SWC?

1, Arkansas
  2, Houston
  3, Kansas
  4, New Mexico
  5, Oklahoma
  6, Oklahoma state
  7, TCU
  8, Texas
  9, Texas A&M
10, Texas Tech

Two questions. 1st. Do you think that we would be better in this conference? 2nd. Would the money be that much different?

Hawg2afault

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 06, 2018, 07:18:24 pm
yaaaay, track

We're a powerhouse in track.

Everybody looooooves track, right?

Go track!
Well, 40+ National championships ranks #1 in the SEC and in the top 4 in the NATION.  No other SEC school is even close to what Arkansas has done.

Why is everyone bashing the op.  He is correct.  There is very little room for ifs and buts.  We have indeed had some pretty good teams but Championships are what is remembered and listed in the record books.  We are very short on those.  We haven't been really serious about the sports program in years and that starts above the level of AD.  For 30 years, when they took the teeth from Broyles, we've gone south.  Might have happened anyway, we will never know.

I knew some baseball fan would pipe up about how great the baseball program is but, still no banana.  I really do not believe Coach Van Horn will ever bring us a championship at the SEC level or CWS.  He is a very good top end coach but I don't see the decision making when really under the gun to ever win it all.

I really believe we have the ability, if the proper coaching is installed, to do well in basketball and baseball, but football, I doubt.  That doesn't mean we cannot reach the level in football that Van Horn has reached is baseball but it will take quite a job to do so.  Basketball too.

Al Boarland

We are the Penny Wise men's collegiate sports.

I don't mind the dreamers hoping for more. They just shouldn't get their panties in a wad when the realist post.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on January 06, 2018, 08:12:55 pm
Because no one wants to admit it it may actually be the program that's the problem. Instead they want to blame the ad or say they just keep hiring bad coaches or 100 other excuses. Perhaps its actually the program. Being in a state that produces precious few legit sec football players and until the recent times very few sec basketball players ( & many of them dont play here ).

I hope you're wearing a cup. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Acehawg

I can see it happening in baseball and basketball, but recruiting is a problem in SEC football.  Either we don't cheat well enough or the whole geographic thing.

Knot2brite

Quote from: 12247 on January 06, 2018, 08:29:06 pm
Why is everyone bashing the op.  He is correct.  There is very little room for ifs and buts.  We have indeed had some pretty good teams but Championships are what is remembered and listed in the record books.  We are very short on those.  We haven't been really serious about the sports program in years and that starts above the level of AD.  For 30 years, when they took the teeth from Broyles, we've gone south.  Might have happened anyway, we will never know.

I knew some baseball fan would pipe up about how great the baseball program is but, still no banana.  I really do not believe Coach Van Horn will ever bring us a championship at the SEC level or CWS.  He is a very good top end coach but I don't see the decision making when really under the gun to ever win it all.

I really believe we have the ability, if the proper coaching is installed, to do well in basketball and baseball, but football, I doubt.  That doesn't mean we cannot reach the level in football that Van Horn has reached is baseball but it will take quite a job to do so.  Basketball too.
I am not bashing him except for the fact that baseball has been the most successful of the big three. Basketball was at the level that baseball is for several years in the 90's. Football will never be at that level...maybe for a year but never consistent. DVH might not be the coach that brings the Natty to Arkansas but he will have set it in motion by establishing Arkansas a a perineal contender most every year

hamARchy in the USA

Virtually the entire period is the JohnWhiteJeffLong period.  Lack of competent leadership is the reason the programs have been down.   

RME

How many schools are just absolutely overly successful (meaning championships) in the majority of their sports?

I'm gonna guess not a whole lot.

Smalltownhog95

I understand football and basketball sec championships but who cares about winning the sec in baseball? I think its the pac 12 that doesnt even have a conference championship because they rarely matter. DVH would never waste an arm in the sec championship game if it meant not having it for the 1st game of regionals. Sec baseball championships are meaningless.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawg2afault on January 06, 2018, 08:28:08 pm
Well, 40+ National championships ranks #1 in the SEC and in the top 4 in the NATION.  No other SEC school is even close to what Arkansas has done.

Yay track!!!!!!

I love track and 1964!!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 06, 2018, 08:25:14 pm
    So are we ready to build the new SWC?

1, Arkansas
  2, Houston
  3, Kansas
  4, New Mexico
  5, Oklahoma
  6, Oklahoma state
  7, TCU
  8, Texas
  9, Texas A&M
10, Texas Tech

Two questions. 1st. Do you think that we would be better in this conference? 2nd. Would the money be that much different?

Let's do it. I'm for it.

Bring back Nebraska and Mizzou. Keep it the big 12.