Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Little Rock Game is OLE MISS

Started by The_Iceman, November 22, 2017, 12:45:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmodrum

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 03:34:56 pm
I truly do not understand how people can both be a fan of something and hate it at the same time.

He's doing the cool contrarian thing
Go away, batin'

HogFanOSU

The best option for the city of Little Rock would be tear WMS down and expand the zoo into a top notch facility.  It would draw far more people, perhaps a million or more, to the city every year than a single football game ever could.

Styflin

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 12:52:54 pm
Interesting that it is a conference game. Swan Song or start of a renewed commitment?

I think so. This will help Gus bring some fans into the fold.

3kgthog

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 01:18:01 pm
It's still a $4.7m loss.

UA officials have determined the average per-game net revenue at Razorback Stadium is $7.4 million, double that of War Memorial's $3.7 million, and that the difference in net revenue for 2018 and beyond is projected to rise to $4.7 million per game.

So, basically we lose Jeff Long's buyout by playing there.

Cut the cord already. Either that or get a new stadium approved along with a cash infusion via a stadium naming sponsor. Neither will ever happen, but this current agreement is just bad business.

Hogsfan1981

ugh can they just tear it down and let everyone move on from this. I don't even like watching that stadium on tv...I would never pay to go to a game there.

Love Little Rock but that stadium is a dumpster.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hogsfan1981 on November 23, 2017, 03:25:43 am
ugh can they just tear it down and let everyone move on from this. I don't even like watching that stadium on tv...I would never pay to go to a game there.

Love Little Rock but that stadium is a dumpster.

You mean the football program under Bret Bielema is a dumpster.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 01:18:01 pm
It's still a $4.7m loss.

UA officials have determined the average per-game net revenue at Razorback Stadium is $7.4 million, double that of War Memorial's $3.7 million, and that the difference in net revenue for 2018 and beyond is projected to rise to $4.7 million per game.

This is faulty reasoning, as you're only looking at it from one perspective.  How many donors from Central Arkansas give to the RF because of the LR games?  Those games being gone might very well cost the UofA more money to not have them. 

Plus, it is rumored that one of the reasons Jeff Long was fired had to do with the constant focus on revenue.  If you only focus on money and it causes you to lose huge chunks of the fan base, will it matter how many more seats DWR Stadium has?
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

ricepig

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 23, 2017, 05:20:40 am
This is faulty reasoning, as you're only looking at it from one perspective.  How many donors from Central Arkansas give to the RF because of the LR games?  Those games being gone might very well cost the UofA more money to not have them. 

Plus, it is rumored that one of the reasons Jeff Long was fired had to do with the constant focus on revenue.  If you only focus on money and it causes you to lose huge chunks of the fan base, will it matter how many more seats DWR Stadium has?

So, you actually think fans are going to quit going to Fayetteville to games if the weren't any games in LR? That doesn't bode too well for their support? One game is fine going forward, but no guarantees on the opponent, except it's not an SEC game. Also, no noise from the BOT on bond payments, you take $4m+ out of the profit, you suffer the consequences.

Hawg414

Quote from: longpig on November 22, 2017, 08:57:14 pm
Last chance Central Arkansas fans, how bout showing up.

yeeahh i'm thinking now is probably not a good time to be taking shots at WMS attendance.

parallaxpig

Quote from: longpig on November 22, 2017, 08:57:14 pm
Last chance Central Arkansas fans, how bout showing up.

It's a smart move financially to put Ole Miss in LR. It almost guarantees a sell out because they will bring 5,000-10,000 fans.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2017, 06:53:00 am
So, you actually think fans are going to quit going to Fayetteville to games if the weren't any games in LR? That doesn't bode too well for their support? One game is fine going forward, but no guarantees on the opponent, except it's not an SEC game. Also, no noise from the BOT on bond payments, you take $4m+ out of the profit, you suffer the consequences.

Maybe if they go 0-12 they can increase revenue 8 million dollars.......

Long was ultimately fired because his NWA Razorbacks experiment failed.  They can fix this now or become a doormat forever
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hawg414

Quote from: toxichog on November 22, 2017, 03:09:28 pm
I think this is a very wise choice of an SEC opponent.  With the pitiful crowds we've had in Little Rock the last few years ( including Georgia ), playing Ole Miss could could bring a large visiting crowd since they are so close.  Certainly more than Vanderbilt, which many had speculated would be the opponent.

Well, the "pitiful crowds" were the result of pitiful opponents and a pitiful coach who complained about playing there from day one.  All of which trickled down from a pitiful AD who had a pitiful plan of alienating the very people who had kept those crowds from being pitiful in the past.

I mean... am I the only one who doesn't find it a coincidence that crowd attendance in LR was never an issue until the Bielema era?

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: HF#1 on November 22, 2017, 12:52:54 pm
Interesting that it is a conference game. Swan Song or start of a renewed commitment?

The contract with WMS states it must be an SEC game this year.  Hosting Ole Miss rather than Vandy guarantees a near sell out.

parallaxpig

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on November 23, 2017, 07:49:28 am
The contract with WMS states it must be an SEC game this year.  Hosting Ole Miss rather than Vandy guarantees a near sell out.

Only because Ole Miss will bring a lot of fans......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2017, 07:25:54 am

Maybe if they go 0-12 they can increase revenue 8 million dollars.......

Long was ultimately fired because his NWA Razorbacks experiment failed.  They can fix this now or become a doormat forever

Same as it's always been.......

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 22, 2017, 12:45:58 pm
Arkansas will travel to face Ole Miss on the road in 2018.
I had several friends arguing that Arkansas was done with LR and WMS and that the contract had been bought out and no more games in LR. I disagreed and said not only will Ark play another game here, it will honor the contract and play a SEC team next year and will continue to play here for the foreseeable future. Had a friend tell me he knows Crass, head of the WM commission and he told my friend the contract was being bought out by U of A.

Anyway, another check in the got it right prediction column. Razorbacks will play in central Ark for a long time to come, as they have for 60 years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bphi11ips

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 23, 2017, 10:21:23 am
I had several friends arguing that Arkansas was done with LR and WMS and that the contract had been bought out and no more games in LR. I disagreed and said not only will Ark play another game here, it will honor the contract and play a SEC team next year and will continue to play here for the foreseeable future. Had a friend tell me he knows Crass, head of the WM commission and he told my friend the contract was being bought out by U of A.

Anyway, another check in the got it right prediction column. Razorbacks will play in central Ark for a long time to come, as they have for 60 years.

100+
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RyeHogFan

I'll be glad to go to this game.  The venue is inconsequential to my enjoyment.

AirWarren

Quote from: 311Hog on November 22, 2017, 08:37:41 pm
I am the rest of Arkansas and I live in NWA I don't have to ask myself that because I am not standing her insulting the graduates of the UofA like you are.  You want the Razorbacks to be your personal professional football team? well to bad they aren't and you can't they are the team of the University of ARKANSAS located in Fayetteville, ARKANSAS.

My grandmother still lives in North Little Rock (my whole family both sides live below Conway I am from Arkado etc.)  I interned in fuel tax audit at the AR State Highway Dept. in Little Rock, until I went to school at the UofA the only games I had ever been to were in Little Rock I LOVE THE MEMORIES FROM THERE.  But anyone with eyes knows that WMS isn't even close to up to today's standards.  When RRS wasn't up to that times standards guess what happened? games were moved to LR, now that has changed.  If your fandom was based purely on the distance it took you to attend the games then you are not a fan at all.

K.

ricepig

Sounds like the early favorite is a game every other year, they may make the Mizzou game as the WMS game.

Pork-n-Boots

If the contract stipulated a SEC game, it should have been Vandy, not Ole Miss.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pork-n-Boots on November 24, 2017, 08:23:14 am
If the contract stipulated a SEC game, it should have been Vandy, not Ole Miss.
They should let you choose the game I guess.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 07:17:48 am
Sounds like the early favorite is a game every other year, they may make the Mizzou game as the WMS game.

Got my vote.....

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 07:17:48 am

The holiday is the only reason this makes sense.  And making Missouri travel further.  But if the rivalry is really going to take hold, and it seems like it has in terms of animosity, the Arkansas fans closest to the border who live near and with the enemy will be the most enthusiastic about the game.  It should and probably will stay in Fayetteville. 

Ole Miss is the most natural game for Little Rock from a geographic and rivalry perspective. 

Don't get your hopes up on that every other year thing.  Look for a Sunbelt or better game in non-Ole Miss years.  Someone is about to sink some serious money into WMS.  They aren't going to do that for one game every other year, any more than you're going to pay $64,000/yr. for five games a year in a suite.  If the price tag is high enough, don't be surprised to see an SEC game in Little Rock every year.  You may even be able to buy a nice suite there as part of your package. 

tolerati

The Ole Miss game in LR is a very good choice.  And yes there is a longstanding tradition of some incredible games with Ole Miss at WMS check out the 1960 game at LR. Or the game in 1990s where AR came up inches short on last play of game to lose. Or Ken Hatfield's first game as UA coach
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 24, 2017, 10:49:02 am
The holiday is the only reason this makes sense.  And making Missouri travel further.  But if the rivalry is really going to take hold, and it seems like it has in terms of animosity, the Arkansas fans closest to the border who live near and with the enemy will be the most enthusiastic about the game.  It should and probably will stay in Fayetteville. 

Ole Miss is the most natural game for Little Rock from a geographic and rivalry perspective. 

Don't get your hopes up on that every other year thing.  Look for a Sunbelt or better game in non-Ole Miss years.  Someone is about to sink some serious money into WMS.  They aren't going to do that for one game every other year, any more than you're going to pay $64,000/yr. for five games a year in a suite.  If the price tag is high enough, don't be surprised to see an SEC game in Little Rock every year.  You may even be able to buy a nice suite there as part of your package.

If we're going to keep an SEC game in LR, Ole Miss makes sense if you're committed to selling tickets. With Alabama and LSU in Fayetteville in even years you're going sell season tickets to RRS. The problem is odd years due to the Dallas game with A&M. There's no way we play two SEC games away from Fayetteville, especially with those games being Mizzou, MState, and our rotating East opponent. Now if we bring A&M back to campus I'd say State or the rotator makes the most sense for LR. But honestly I don't see us giving up the Dallas game and I don't see any more SEC games in WMS after 2018. If we do keep a game in WMS there needs to an upgrade from what we've been seeing there such as SMU, Houston, Memphis, but those would require return games. There's no simple solution here if you assume we require a minimum of 6 games in RRS every year.

ricepig

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 24, 2017, 12:55:09 pm
If we're going to keep an SEC game in LR, Ole Miss makes sense if you're committed to selling tickets. With Alabama and LSU in Fayetteville in even years you're going sell season tickets to RRS. The problem is odd years due to the Dallas game with A&M. There's no way we play two SEC games away from Fayetteville, especially with those games being Mizzou, MState, and our rotating East opponent. Now if we bring A&M back to campus I'd say State or the rotator makes the most sense for LR. But honestly I don't see us giving up the Dallas game and I don't see any more SEC games in WMS after 2018. If we do keep a game in WMS there needs to an upgrade from what we've been seeing there such as SMU, Houston, Memphis, but those would require return games. There's no simple solution here if you assume we require a minimum of 6 games in RRS every year.
aTm won't agree to the Dallas game after 2024, that's obvious. It's going to take X amount of money to fund everything, including all of these buyouts. People can say money doesn't matter, that's fine until it's stretched thin or running short.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 24, 2017, 12:55:09 pm

Definitely not simple. One of the key decision makers was quoted in Dem Gaz today describing the issues as complex.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 23, 2017, 08:14:43 am
Only because Ole Miss will bring a lot of fans......

Because everyone knows that NWA fans don't travel well.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on November 24, 2017, 03:59:22 pm

You should research some WMS stats, check out where the tickets were purchased from.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 24, 2017, 04:24:21 pm
You should research some WMS stats, check out where the tickets were purchased from.

21,000 of WMS tickets come from Central Arkansas, 35,000 of RRS comes from NWA.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2017, 04:36:20 pm
21,000 of WMS tickets come from Central Arkansas, 35,000 of RRS comes from NWA.
No one cares now.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 24, 2017, 06:55:27 pm
Just like no one cares about your posts and predictions.
I've got chunks of stalkers bigger than you in my stool. Keep trying.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HogPharmer

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 24, 2017, 06:56:21 pm
I've got chunks of stalkers bigger than you in my stool. Keep trying.

Doesn't say much for the size of things that move thru your anal canal.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

factchecker

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on November 24, 2017, 03:59:22 pm

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/119645/analysis-war-memorial-only-slightly-more-popular-with-south-arkansas-fans?utm_source=enews_111517&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily-report&utm_campaign=newsletter&enews_zone=3817

QuoteFans from northwest Arkansas make up a bigger portion of ticket sales for Razorbacks football games held in Little Rock than fans from the southeast and southwest areas of the state combined
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS