Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pick your DC

Started by Pork Twain, December 08, 2017, 10:20:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

He said it was going to be a top DC, so...

Gene Chizik
10 (10.4%)
John Chavis
6 (6.3%)
Brent Venables
55 (57.3%)
Vance Bedford
0 (0%)
Bo Pelini
3 (3.1%)
Todd Graham
1 (1%)
Alex Grinch
5 (5.2%)
Pete Golden
2 (2.1%)
Marion Hobby
3 (3.1%)
Jim Leavitt
4 (4.2%)
Frito Pie
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

coach, my back hurts

The mans resume is very impressive. Has improved Troy by over a 100 yards a game in just 3 years. Over 60 in his first.                                                   

Coached top defenses at Clemson, KState, and Illinois.

Did not fare to well at UNC, but everywhere else has been great.

Has ties to the area as well. Played at KState and in Okla and coached for 10 years at Memphis.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on December 09, 2017, 10:07:28 am
The mans resume is very impressive. Has improved Troy by over a 100 yards a game in just 3 years. Over 60 in his first.                                                   

Coached top defenses at Clemson, KState, and Illinois.

Did not fare to well at UNC, but everywhere else has been great.

Has ties to the area as well. Played at KState and in Okla and coached for 10 years at Memphis.

I think most fans want a power 5 DC with proven results.

Hawgboy64

What do you think about Jim Leavitt as D.C.?
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

texas tush hog

Hogwild

He wants to be a HC again, but not sure if that is going to happen on the college level.   He has standing offers from both Fla. State and Oregon, when asked he was non committal, saying his goal it to be a head coach.  Probably in our best interest to pass on him.

Hawginj

Leavitt would be a monster has had huge turn arounds at Colorado and Oregon 

Vantage 8 dude

Whoever it ends up being I think at least perception wise it would most likely need to be a DC who has had success at the highest level of college play. That means he will likely have to come from a program that is in one of the P5 conferences.

SNORTZENHOGGER

He was pretty good in "American Pie"... was a regular on SCTV if I remember correctly... didn't know he was a DC???
Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

BR

He also just accepted the job to be DC at Florida State
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Cure

Buyout at 500K and I think Cristobal is really wanting to keep him.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

rickm1976

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on December 09, 2017, 10:21:54 am

Some of the same issues as with Todd Graham.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BR on December 09, 2017, 11:11:00 am
He also just accepted the job to be DC at Florida State

I've seen a lot of reports that he has been offered the opportunity to follow Taggart to FSU but I've yet to see anything that says that he has accepted or been hired. Lots of articles reporting that it is likely though.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawginj

1. Jim Leavitt
2. Alex Grinch
3. Marion Hobby
DH Pete Golding

TushCrush

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on December 09, 2017, 07:37:11 am
Marion Hobby, if you haven't google'd him you should. Co DC for Clemson National Chamionship. Part of Duke resurgence. Currently with Jacksonville during their best season in years. From Alabama, lots of southern ties. Coached at Ole Miss and Tennessee too.
A very interesting candidate. Not some old retread. Watch the Jacksonville D tomorrow. Watch their DL. They take no prisoners.

hog_fan

Would he really want to return to college after just leaving? Think he be a solid hire, but doesn't fit what coach said about best DC. I think he was talking about Brent V. He makes 1.7 and can up to 2.0 so he have to be made highest paid assistant in the country

TushCrush

Quote from: hog_fan on December 09, 2017, 01:46:27 pm
Would he really want to return to college after just leaving? Think he be a solid hire, but doesn't fit what coach said about best DC. I think he was talking about Brent V. He makes 1.7 and can up to 2.0 so he have to be made highest paid assistant in the country
Good point about returning to college vs the NFL. I don't have much faith that Venables will come to Arkansas. I looked but could not find what Hobby is making at JAX.  Bio: http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Marion-Hobby/5e24d665-590c-4ec5-8f17-4cb9a38f4e80

Hawginj

Quote from: hog_fan on December 09, 2017, 01:46:27 pm
He's done it before left the Saints after one season to become Duke's DC so I would say its a possibility.

The real Hogules

Has the media, or anyone else for that matter said whether coach Morris is currently doing interviews for the DC position?
Is he just going to reach out, via phone and ask "hey, wut up? Come be my DC at Arkansas!"? lol
Will coach Morris call the programs head coach, of potential candidates, assuming they're assistants?
Tennessee's new head coach has come out blazing and is filling out his coaching staff rather quickly.
I do understand that it's better to get it right, than to get it done quick. And in fact, this head coaches future largely depends on the defensive staff that he puts together. I'd say that coach Morris feels confident in his system and his offensive assistants that he had at SMU, so stopping, or slowing our opponent will tell the tale.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

FrJoseph

You made us for yourself oh God, and are hearts are restless until they rest in you.

The Kig

I picked who I think will end us as DC... but he's not a "Great" DC, which is what we will be sold.  Competent though, so I will give him a chance just like giving our coach a chance to prove he can cut it at an SEC West school vs. High School.
Poker Porker

Cletus

What about that Grinch cat a WSU?
See, what had happened was........

hogfansince79

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on December 09, 2017, 07:37:11 am
Marion Hobby, if you haven't google'd him you should. Co DC for Clemson National Chamionship. Part of Duke resurgence. Currently with Jacksonville during their best season in years. From Alabama, lots of southern ties. Coached at Ole Miss and Tennessee too.

yds/g        p yds/g       r yds/g        pts/g
50   Duke         357       205.4        151.5         23.4

83   Duke         369       215.8        152.8         28.3

109   Duke         450       241.8        208.3         35.4
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 02:53:27 pm
I picked who I think will end us as DC... but he's not a "Great" DC, which is what we will be sold.  Competent though, so I will give him a chance just like giving our coach a chance to prove he can cut it at an SEC West school vs. High School.

Without looking through the whole thread or guessing, who did you pick?
Go Hogs Go!

hog_fan

If it was Chavis or Chizk no need to wait

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 09, 2017, 03:14:26 pm
                   yds/g        p yds/g       r yds/g        pts/g
50   Duke         357       205.4        151.5         23.4

83   Duke         369       215.8        152.8         28.3

109   Duke         450       241.8        208.3         35.4

Amazing numbers for Duke

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

HOGINTENNESSEE

The Kig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 09, 2017, 03:16:47 pm
Without looking through the whole thread or guessing, who did you pick?

Intentionally left out, so as to not be argumentative.   My guess is just that... a complete guess, which after this HC search is all any of us are doing.  Main point was that I am resolved to give him a chance, just like our HC.  Morris said he was bringing "the best" DC, not a good DC.  From that list, only Venables fits that bill, but I would be (pleasantly) shocked if he leaves Clemson.   
Poker Porker

hog_fan

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 03:30:51 pm
Intentionally left out, so as to not be argumentative.   My guess is just that... a complete guess, which after this HC search is all any of us are doing.  Main point was that I am resolved to give him a chance, just like our HC.  Morris said he was bringing "the best" DC, not a good DC.  From that list, only Venables fits that bill, but I would be (pleasantly) shocked if he leaves Clemson.   

Morris name was out there entire search

MuskogeeHogFan

December 09, 2017, 05:47:07 pm #80 Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:10:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 03:30:51 pm

I would suggest that if anyone looked at the Colorado defensive numbers the year before Jim Leavitt took over as DC and the next two years that came after his arrival, coupled with the year before he arrived at Oregon and how he transformed that defense in one year, we might find a guy who would be at least as good as Venables. He doesn't get the credit that Venables does, but he is a transformer of bad defenses to good defenses.
Go Hogs Go!

HogNTX

I've spent a few hours this evening going through the DCs that CCM faced in his time at Clemson and at SMU along with those he worked with at Clemson. I paid special attention to those who he lost to or held him under the average game. Basically what a coach would think was a tough defense after the game. I'll leave off the Jeremy Pruitt's of the list since his new job probably means he isn't a viable candidate. Here's the list I came up with along with a few possible scenarios.

John Chavis - he could be retained at A&M or he could retire
Charles Kelly - he could end up at A&M or could be available although he seems to be fading
Don Brown - DC at Michigan currently.
Bud Foster - AHC/DC at Va Tech who I can't see leaving although if Fuente is forcing him out because he wants his own program then it could be a potentiality.
Galen Scott - AHC/Safeties... he was Fuente's DC at Memphis and perhaps he's ready to get back to a DC role. Could be reason for Foster to be forced out or Scott to want to leave. A doubt that he'd be a shocker to the CFB world or possibly be ready for SEC.
Brian VanGorder - he's a defensive analyst at Oklahoma State and after his dismissal from Notre Dame I doubt he'd fit the hints Morris gave us
Lorenzo Ward - currently a secondary coach at Louisville ... again not really fitting the narrative laid out
Kevin Steele - DC at Clemson during Morris' first year. This would be VERY interesting given the recent history between Arkansas and Auburn in regard to coaching searches... makes for some good message board fodder. (Current DC at Auburn)
Brent Venables - He most likely isn't coming and if he is I'd want this to be the narrative anyway... there's no way he's coming. He fits the narrative and the longer we go without a DC being named the better chance it's him but most likely it's someone in a bowl game who doesn't want to be distracted from the task at hand.
Mike Stoops - Not Riley's guy and was facing some heat earlier this year.... possibility?
Marion Hobby - currently with Jacksonville Jaguars... is 1 year in the NFL enough for him and he wants to come back to the college game?

There are definitely two names on there that would be a shock: Foster and Venables... maybe even Steele

Stoops would be a surprise as would Hobby or Brown.

Chavis or Kelly seem to be the most reasonable since they are both looking for jobs but if it were then there is no need to wait.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the DC's he has admired from afar and I wouldn't be too surprised if it's someone off the radar.

And if I take Porktarian's ... I mean Wally's last tweet as a hint then I could see these guys as candidates:
Bob Diaco - winner
Don Brown - winner
John Chavis - winner
Brent Venables - winner
Bud Foster - winner
Brian VanGorder - winner
Kevin Steele
Gene Chizik - winner

Quite a bit of overlap in those two lists.

Hogtrillian

I've heard a lot of complaints amount Kelly amongst FSU fans, same with Mike Stoops who has no recent SEC experience.

I personally think Chavis or Marion Hobby would be reasonable hires.

Pork Twain

I added several names that were write-ins and reset the poll
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 09, 2017, 09:07:03 am
Venables would obviously be a really good hire but I'd be shocked if he winds up here. Jim Leavitt would be a fiery and aggressive DC if we could talk him out of going to Florida State with Willie Taggart.

This is an important hire for Morris. If you look at what Morris did from the standpoint of offense in his 3rd year at Clemson compared to his 3rd year at SMU, there is the same dynamic, aggressive and productive offense in place at both schools. What was missing at SMU that he had to back him up at Clemson was a great defense. Even at SMU in the AAC, a great offense is certainly a big help, but if you don't have at least a good to great defense, you are going to have a hard time getting beyond 7 or 8 wins each year.

Now Morris said he was bringing in the "best DC in college football" and then said he had a list he was working from. The "best" is indicative of one guy, not a list of guys. I'll be happy if he just brings in "one of the best". Of course that term of "best" may be defined differently in his mind than it is in our minds, but whomever he gets is going to have to build a pretty doggone good defense if he intends to compete for the SEC West let alone winning the SECCG.
I would love to have Venables, but I just cannot see him leaving Dabo for Chad.  I think "best" is coach speak.  Realistically there is no best or worst DC or OC in college football from year to year.  There are definitely top-flight and bargain-bin levels though.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 10, 2017, 02:44:26 am
I would love to have Venables, but I just cannot see him leaving Dabo for Chad.  I think "best" is coach speak.  Realistically there is no best or worst DC or OC in college football from year to year.  There are definitely top-flight and bargain-bin levels though.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

#HVAFTERDARK
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 10, 2017, 02:44:26 am

I think that as you point out, there are those who have shown the ability to produce a really good top 15 defense most of the time and then there are others. To me the guy that we need is the coach who has demonstrated over time and at more than one school, that he can come in and turn a defense around from being either bad or average, to good or great.

That's one reason that I am such a fan of Jim Leavitt. He has shown that he can initially take lesser talent and coach them and align them to play better and then to be able to recruit and develop that talent as well. I like Venables, but he has had top 15 classes at Clemson and top 10 classes at Oklahoma to work with over the last 19 years. I say throw enough money at Leavitt to redirect his path from Oregon to Florida State, to Oregon to Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

The Kig

Leavitt would be a great option. 
Poker Porker

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 10, 2017, 05:44:52 am
I think that as you point out, there are those who have shown the ability to produce a really good top 15 defense most of the time and then there are others. To me the guy that we need is the coach who has demonstrated over time and at more than one school, that he can come in and turn a defense around from being either bad or average, to good or great.

That's one reason that I am such a fan of Jim Leavitt. He has shown that he can initially take lesser talent and coach them and align them to play better and then to be able to recruit and develop that talent as well. I like Venables, but he has had top 15 classes at Clemson and top 10 classes at Oklahoma to work with over the last 19 years. I say throw enough money at Leavitt to redirect his path from Oregon to Florida State, to Oregon to Arkansas.
Very sound reasoning and for the first time in a really long time I actually feel like we are after and will sign a top-flight DC.

PorkBilly

Quote from: HogNTX on December 10, 2017, 12:36:08 am
I've spent a few hours this evening going through the DCs that CCM faced in his time at Clemson and at SMU along with those he worked with at Clemson. I paid special attention to those who he lost to or held him under the average game. Basically what a coach would think was a tough defense after the game. I'll leave off the Jeremy Pruitt's of the list since his new job probably means he isn't a viable candidate. Here's the list I came up with along with a few possible scenarios.

John Chavis - he could be retained at A&M or he could retire
Charles Kelly - he could end up at A&M or could be available although he seems to be fading
Don Brown - DC at Michigan currently.
Bud Foster - AHC/DC at Va Tech who I can't see leaving although if Fuente is forcing him out because he wants his own program then it could be a potentiality.
Galen Scott - AHC/Safeties... he was Fuente's DC at Memphis and perhaps he's ready to get back to a DC role. Could be reason for Foster to be forced out or Scott to want to leave. A doubt that he'd be a shocker to the CFB world or possibly be ready for SEC.
Brian VanGorder - he's a defensive analyst at Oklahoma State and after his dismissal from Notre Dame I doubt he'd fit the hints Morris gave us
Lorenzo Ward - currently a secondary coach at Louisville ... again not really fitting the narrative laid out
Kevin Steele - DC at Clemson during Morris' first year. This would be VERY interesting given the recent history between Arkansas and Auburn in regard to coaching searches... makes for some good message board fodder. (Current DC at Auburn)
Brent Venables - He most likely isn't coming and if he is I'd want this to be the narrative anyway... there's no way he's coming. He fits the narrative and the longer we go without a DC being named the better chance it's him but most likely it's someone in a bowl game who doesn't want to be distracted from the task at hand.
Mike Stoops - Not Riley's guy and was facing some heat earlier this year.... possibility?
Marion Hobby - currently with Jacksonville Jaguars... is 1 year in the NFL enough for him and he wants to come back to the college game?

There are definitely two names on there that would be a shock: Foster and Venables... maybe even Steele

Stoops would be a surprise as would Hobby or Brown.

Chavis or Kelly seem to be the most reasonable since they are both looking for jobs but if it were then there is no need to wait.

Obviously this doesn't take into account the DC's he has admired from afar and I wouldn't be too surprised if it's someone off the radar.

And if I take Porktarian's ... I mean Wally's last tweet as a hint then I could see these guys as candidates:
Bob Diaco - winner
Don Brown - winner
John Chavis - winner
Brent Venables - winner
Bud Foster - winner
Brian VanGorder - winner
Kevin Steele
Gene Chizik - winner

Quite a bit of overlap in those two lists.

It very well could come from these lists. I think throughout this thread there has been some disregard for what CCM said in the first team meeting....."everything we do here will be the best....best practice, best route, best team meeting." So when he uses that description, we may want to keep that in mind. Our "best" and his "best" may not be the same. That said, I think if it were any of the candidates that are TV analysts or in the open market, it would be done. I think the DC is coaching now and has an obligation to fulfill before coming here. Just my thought. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hog_fan on December 09, 2017, 03:18:45 pm

or Graham.. makes me think it's someone playing in a big game, not just a bowl game, they would announce it if was not something where they don't want the distraction of losing the coach.. also seems as though they have an agreement with the team they are getting him from to not leak, and that takes trust..

Big time coach with lot's of respect form their HC to allow them to coach, if you know they are leaving.. could be college or NFL...

Us waiting, knowing how important defensive recruiting is.. it must be someone worth the risk..

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 10, 2017, 05:44:52 am
I say throw enough money at Leavitt to redirect his path from Oregon to Florida State, to Oregon to Arkansas.

Agree with every bit, but it would seem that if it was Leavitt, they would have already thrown that money and we would have heard...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hog_fan on December 09, 2017, 03:18:45 pm

Well, they could still be back up candidates. As we wait for a Venables or Hobby's season to finish up.

MuskogeeHogFan

December 10, 2017, 08:17:08 am #93 Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:44:54 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pork Twain on December 10, 2017, 06:05:30 am
Very sound reasoning and for the first time in a really long time I actually feel like we are after and will sign a top-flight DC.

Here is how Leavitt has fared as a DC. Included are the stats for those teams the year prior to Leavitt's arrival so we can see what improvement was made. At the same time, think about the levels of talent at those schools before he arrived. These are P/Gm averages.

School                Colorado     Colorado   Colorado     Oregon      Oregon
Coach               Pre-Leavitt    Leavitt     Leavitt    Pre-Leavitt   Leavitt
Year                      2014         2015        2016          2016        2017

Total D                  461.0        416.9       342.5         518.4       359.8
Rush D                  204.8        198.7       148.9         246.5       129.9
Att                        36.4          39.5         36.6          43.5         36.2
Yds/Rush                 5.6           5.0           4.1            5.7           3.6
Rush TD's                1.8           1.5           1.0            3.2           1.4
TFL                        4.6           5.3           4.9            5.1           7.3
TFL Yds                 21.4          19.1         26.6          21.9          27.6
TFL Freq                 7.9           7.5           7.5            8.5           5.0
Fumb Rec               0.67          0.62         0.79          0.25          0.75
Pass D                  256.2        218.2       193.6         271.9        229.9
Pass Att                34.0          33.5         33.7           37.4         35.2
Pass Compl             20.3         19.2         16.8           24.3         19.4
Compl %               59.7%       57.3%      49.9%         65.0%       55.1%
YPA                       7.5           6.5          5.7             7.3           6.5
YPC                      12.6          11.4        11.5            11.2         11.9
Pass TD's                2.9           1.8          1.3             2.4           1.9
Sacks                     2.5           2.1          2.6             2.1           2.7
Sack Yds                24.3         12.9         20.9           13.7         16.3
Sack Freq              13.8          16.1         13.1           18.0         13.2
INT's                     0.25         1.08         1.07            0.75        1.08
T/O's                     0.92         1.7           1.9             1.0          1.8
Def TD's Allow          4.7          3.3           2.3             5.6          3.3
Scoring                  39.0         27.5         21.7            41.4        28.3
RZ %                    0.893       0.870        0.745          0.892       0.897
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Porknoxville on December 08, 2017, 10:25:20 pm
Bud baby!
Foster always looks angry. Reminds me of Robert Loggia as the coach in Necessary Roughness.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 10, 2017, 07:30:09 am
Agree with every bit, but it would seem that if it was Leavitt, they would have already thrown that money and we would have heard...

Not necessarily. He is still with the Ducks for the bowl game, which is next weekend. His buyout is manageable, $500,000 if he leaves before 1/21/18, on 1/22/18 that amount drops to $250,000. Currently he is making 1.15 mil p/yr. He might want to wait for an announcement of where he is going (if anywhere at all) until after the bowl game. Mario Cristobal is the new Oregon HC and considering that he has already been working with Leavitt, you have to wonder if he wouldn't like to keep him. It isn't like Leavitt has done a bad job with the Oregon D as you can see from the numbers I posted above. Maybe it all comes down to what kind of a working relationship that they have with each other?

Offer him 1.5 mil to come to Arkansas and see how it all shakes out. He's originally from Texas, just like Morris. He played at Missouri so he might relish having an end of the year game against his alma mater. Who knows who Morris will hire but he could do a lot worse than pursuing Leavitt and giving him more money and the title of AHC/DC. 

Here's more on Leavitt's situation at Oregon.

https://oregon.247sports.com/Bolt/Understanding-Jim-Leavitts-buyout-at-Oregon-and-what-it-means-111859412
Go Hogs Go!

HogNTX

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on December 09, 2017, 10:21:54 am

Leavitt is rumored to be going with Taggart to Florida St which certainly seems most likely. He could also stay with Christoball at Oregon and knownhis system and players. He let it be known that he wants to be a head coach again sometime so he might leave to do that. I'd put those 3 options ahead of Arkansas for him so I just don't see it happening. I imagine his head coach desires were made to at least land a AHC title whether it's in Oregon or FSU.

Dark Helmet Hog

Good info here thanks everyone.

HogNTX

Quote from: PorkBilly on December 10, 2017, 06:38:58 am
It very well could come from these lists. I think throughout this thread there has been some disregard for what CCM said in the first team meeting....."everything we do here will be the best....best practice, best route, best team meeting." So when he uses that description, we may want to keep that in mind. Our "best" and his "best" may not be the same. That said, I think if it were any of the candidates that are TV analysts or in the open market, it would be done. I think the DC is coaching now and has an obligation to fulfill before coming here. Just my thought.

A qualitative measure of best could be the Broyles award winners which would match Wally's last tweet as a hint. I'm thinking we may be talking to Bud Because that would definitely shock everyone!

King Kong

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 10, 2017, 07:24:33 am
or Graham.. makes me think it's someone playing in a big game.

Graham is a candidate at SMU so that could cause a hold up if it was him.

I think it's very possible Morris's number one targets are in the NFL or a Major bowl just as you say.

However, it is possible that we don't have commitments from those parties as well and candidates like Chavis, Chizik and Graham come into play again later