Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, a lot of speculation

Started by DemiHOG, October 17, 2017, 02:59:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRRandy on October 17, 2017, 04:01:02 pm
some coaches win national championships in year 2

But a huge majority never win one.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgphat on October 17, 2017, 11:47:35 pm
Well, first off - it would seem to me that something would have to be "BUILT" before it could be "REBUILT". 

In year five of the Bielema Era I'm still waiting for the "building" to be completed.  Let the "rebuilding" take care of itself.

I'm not a happy camper.

When the tent has a hole in it and it's raining, that will be the result.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 18, 2017, 08:00:13 am
Clemson wasn't a top 10 destination before Dabo. All it takes is one great coach.

Except they have a really good tradition. Dabo isn't the first coach there to win a NC. There is a former Hog coach that did so. Unfortunately he didn't do as well when being the Hog coach. Dabo could go elsewhere and win multiple ones or have a losing record and get fired. It's about being in the right place at the right time.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 20, 2017, 07:39:57 am
I'd take the other side and build a great defense.. stay with an offense similar to what we do now... I like what we are trying to do on both sides of the ball, we just need to do it better, better recruiting... Sometimes a different player can make a difference.. it will be interesting to see how the Cole Train does this week... I keep hoping we're not as far off as we appear....

Or you could just work on a third side and build better special teams. Come to think it it maybe the entire program needs more attention.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 20, 2017, 07:39:57 am
I'd take the other side and build a great defense.. stay with an offense similar to what we do now... I like what we are trying to do on both sides of the ball, we just need to do it better, better recruiting... Sometimes a different player can make a difference.. it will be interesting to see how the Cole Train does this week... I keep hoping we're not as far off as we appear....

The problem with building a truly great defense is that it often requires having really great talent. We wind up with a few of these guys and we certainly have had a better defensive recruiting class the last year or so (I think), but consistently landing guys that are superior to most, play-early kind of guys, is not our M.O. What I am saying is that, right now, there are 4 SEC West schools in the top 25 in total defense. 1 from the East.

I am persuaded that we are better off getting a HC that can run an offense where the OC/HC can think 3-5 plays in advance, setting opposing defenses up for  bigger plays and tends to move the ball in chunks of yardage at a time. Personally, I like Bielema-ball on offense when it works, but it just tends to need a stronger defense to play it's role in shutting down opponents, in order to be consistently successful. We are not going to recruit at a level on defense like Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU or A&M has the ability to do. But, we can recruit well enough to play good at times and play BBDB the rest of the time while the offense continues to put up points.

Now do I think that this philosophy will lead us to 10-11-12 wins every season? Nope. Maybe 8-9 pretty regularly and 10-11 every once in a while? Yes, probably. But I doubt any fan at Arkansas would object to that.
Go Hogs Go!

HawgHeadCheese

I feel like the next coach will be fine offensively because we have a lot of weapons to work with. Defense will be a struggle as usual but I still think there is some talent on that side of the ball.