Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you get on board with this?

Started by Al Boarland, June 16, 2017, 09:25:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:40:16 am
No doubt.  There have certainly been some enjoyable times.  Being at RRS for that '14 LSU game remains one of my favorite moments as a Hog fan.

That was excellent. The last few Ole Miss games have been excellent for me as a fan. Curb stomping Florida last year was great. We have beat some quality ranked teams. Last year I think Ole miss was ranked 12th when we beat them and Florida was what, 11th when we beat them? We destroyed State in their house and the game was not as close as the score indicated. RW3 went beast mode on them. Destroying Texas was an awesome game. Brandon Allen in his senior year was maybe the best QB I have ever watched in college. The dude had ice in his veins, could deliver with dead accuracy on the run and was smart enough to move the chains when it seemed impossible.

I have great memories from the last 4 years and I have nightmares from the last 4 years.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:32:49 am
If you read what FOTH has been saying, in the last 2 games of the season last year the coaches were watching the players implode and yelling at them, imploring them to just do what they have been coached to do. Obviously, they didn't. I think he is saying that trying to talent their way through a game isn't going to cut it, and those fundamentals that they have been getting drilled into their heads are pretty important. The players are understanding now that they have to take practice into the game. That is how I interpreted it anyway.
This tells me a lot. I hope FOTH is wrong and I like him coming on here but if at the end of the 4th season this coach has these problems with his team and has no more control over them than that then that is truly uncommon and we are in much worse shape than I thought.

elksnort

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 10:31:18 am
Average 7-5 over 10 years and your 70-50. Average 11-2 over 10 years and your 110-20. With or without a championship one of any kind I have 40 more happy Saturdays and 30 less miserable ones and yes I get miserable for a while when we lose.
Exactly. The "happy saturdays" vs "miserable saturdays" is a very good way to explain it. At least it is for me.

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 10:46:03 am
That was excellent. The last few Ole Miss games have been excellent for me as a fan. Curb stomping Florida last year was great. We have beat some quality ranked teams. Last year I think Ole miss was ranked 12th when we beat them and Florida was what, 11th when we beat them? We destroyed State in their house and the game was not as close as the score indicated. RW3 went beast mode on them. Destroying Texas was an awesome game. Brandon Allen in his senior year was maybe the best QB I have ever watched in college. The dude had ice in his veins, could deliver with dead accuracy on the run and was smart enough to move the chains when it seemed impossible.

I have great memories from the last 4 years and I have nightmares from the last 4 years.

Yeah, that UF game was a great time, too!
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 10:46:44 am
This tells me a lot. I hope FOTH is wrong and I like him coming on here but if at the end of the 4th season this coach has these problems with his team and has no more control over them than that then that is truly uncommon and we are in much worse shape than I thought.

You interpret it ho you want. I have found reassurance in all of the posts FOTH has brought to the board.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:20:07 am
I won't because I'm a hog fan.  My only agenda is that I want us to win more games.  I don't care what coach does it.  CBB, a new coach, whatever.  Just win more.

I don't think any sane or reasonable person can find any fault with this.

HamSammich

The irony will be when we win 6 or 7 this year and next year every starting qb in the west gets injured or something and we win 10....

Then we get to start this same cycle over with a huge extension.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:36:06 am
I am Al Davis' brain connected to the internet.

Isn't Al dead.......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 16, 2017, 10:55:10 am
Isn't Al dead.......

The body is dead.  The brain just needed a host.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:57:48 am
The body is dead.  The brain just needed a host.

Well, you get what you pay for......

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2017, 11:01:11 am
You back from your six day bender?

Been here every day, surely you've been following me around.......

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: HamSammich on June 16, 2017, 10:53:56 am
The irony will be when we win 6 or 7 this year and next year every starting qb in the west gets injured or something and we win 10....

Then we get to start this same cycle over with a huge extension.
If he gets this thing turned around and My Hogs get 10 wins next year it will be because we've become much better and the other teams problems won't be the reason and I will be the first to come on here and say I was wrong.

daBoar

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 10:18:20 am
In the famous words of Ned Pepper."Mighty thin Rooster,Mighty thin!"
And there's, "Nuthin from Nuthin leaves Nuthin".

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:38:22 am
PUNCH OUT, HS!

JUST PUNCH OUT.

never, I am going to swing my persimmon head 3 wood with the old steel shaft right through this waist high grass, between the branches of that low hanging oak, and right on the green.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 11:13:39 am
never, I am going to swing my persimmon head 3 wood with the old steel shaft right through this waist high grass, between the branches of that low hanging oak, and right on the green.

haha +1
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 11:13:39 am
That may be the sweetest club I ever owned. It was light colored. Ping.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 16, 2017, 10:05:22 am
I read a quote from Bielema this morning that I'm still trying to make sense of.

"If we had ended up 9-4, (the players) would be walking around like King Kong. Now, the guys are listening to us."

What is the proper translation there? That the perception within the program is that 9-4 is a "King Kong" season for us? That the players weren't listening before? That because they are now listening, we might be able to achieve that "King Kong" season of 9-4?

I believe that, going into last season, there was a solid perception - among the people involved within the program (coaches, players), most Arkansas fans, and the national media - that our program was "on the rise".  Each season under CBB had been better than the one before.  And we had punctuated the prior two seasons with solid Bowl wins.  Our momentum was positive.

Had we won those last two games, as we should have, and finished 9-4, the narrative of "continued improvement" would be intact.  That would make the players and coaches even more confident, and the natural expectation would be that we were ready to win at least 9 games this season; perhaps breakthrough and truly compete for the SEC West Championship.

That's what I get from the quote, and I believe there is merit to it.

PonderinHog

seasonhog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 10:07:42 am
No joke.  He thinks the team wouldn't listen to them if they had gone 8-4 with a bowl win? 

I'm way past sick of his BS.

Sadly, this is what the coaches think.......eight is top.....if one don't think they can win every game then they never will....

The fans has come to accept this outcome as well.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 11:19:52 am

Pedersen for me.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 11:19:52 am

I've never seen a persimmon Ping.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2017, 11:33:11 am

Been a loooong time. Had the gumby logo on the sole plate (I guess it was persimmon).

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2017, 11:33:11 am
I think you're right as that set of clubs burned in a fire. When I called Ping to replace it they told me it was made of something else. Then another dealer told me something completely different. Think I'll believe the folks at Ping. Maybe I shud have said I thought I had a persimmon. Either way those woods were the best I ever had.

MultipleScoreGasms

What does 10 wins get you that 8 wins don't. And please do not say recruits. All I heard for a decade was " win games and they will come " then they went 21-5 and recruiting was no better, and possibly worse than average in the signing classes following 2010 and 2011.
[/quote]

A top 15 ranking, and an 11 win season to follow, concluding in a top 5 ranking?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:22:18 am
Fine, win more, and still put nothing new in the trophy case. But then the fans can say " yea, we won 9 last year, and with a couple breaks we could have won 10 or even 11 " if that does it for you, great.

Dude, I think you're now going off the rails.  I usually agree with you, but fans still want a program that's always doing all it can (legally) to improve on the field.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MuskogeeHogFan

I read a quote from Bielema this morning that I'm still trying to make sense of.

"If we had ended up 9-4, (the players) would be walking around like King Kong. Now, the guys are listening to us."

What is the proper translation there? That the perception within the program is that 9-4 is a "King Kong" season for us? That the players weren't listening before? That because they are now listening, we might be able to achieve that "King Kong" season of 9-4?   

My guess is that he wasn't as clear as he could have been in what he meant to say and my interpretation of that (requiring an assumption) is that with everything that was wrong inside the program and still needed to be fixed, had we gone 9-4 and not ended the way we did, the players might have been more relaxed than they are now. Given the way we actually ended the season, it was the equivalent of taking two back to back slaps in the face. A resounding wake up call.

I just think he means that the way the season ended has them more laser-focused on this season than they might have been had we won both of those games. I would suggest that he could have phrased that a little better because I doubt any of our kids, even if they had won 9, would be strutting around like King Kong.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2017, 10:22:18 am
Fine, win more, and still put nothing new in the trophy case. But then the fans can say " yea, we won 9 last year, and with a couple breaks we could have won 10 or even 11 " if that does it for you, great.

That "does it" for about 95% of the fan bases in the damn country.

rhames

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 16, 2017, 11:55:02 am
This is totally off subject, but that is a fine avatar photo rhames!
;)

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on June 16, 2017, 11:42:16 am
I think you're right as that set of clubs burned in a fire. When I called Ping to replace it they told me it was made of something else. Then another dealer told me something completely different. Think I'll believe the folks at Ping. Maybe I shud have said I thought I had a persimmon. Either way those woods were the best I ever had.

I used to sell Pings in the '80s before all the high tech equipment came out.  Ping woods back then were great for the average player (meaning just about everyone).  They were some of the first woods to have a non-traditional shape and an oversized head, and they set up about 2º closed. They were also 1/2 long (43 1/2" driver, compared to 45" these days), had light-weight stiff shafts, and a swingweight of C-9 (as opposed to around D-2 for most clubs at the time).  The lighter weight, bigger head and slightly closed face promoted confidence.  They were awesome clubs for the time.

Every Ping wood I ever saw was high-gloss black made from laminated wood, maple I think.  If you had a light finish it was probably custom ordered or refinished, or maybe before my time.

I have some of the best persimmon woods in my garage ever made.  My 1956 Tommy Armour 693 driver was worth $1000 in 1985.  Probably good for kindling now.  But there's nothing like the feeling of flushing a balata Titleist with that club.  Some buddies of mine decided a few years ago to break out our old clubs and have a tournament.  The plan was to use balata balls.  I had a few, but they were mush.  We couldn't find any new ones.  I hit my first drive with a ProV1 and went "Yuck!!!"  It went about 230.  That left me with 160 yards to the green when I was used to about 100.  Then I hit my Palmer standard 7 iron 15 yards short of the green.  Felt like crap.  Everyone was having the same experience I was.  We finished the round half a dozen shots above our handicaps and raised a toast to high tech clubs.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 16, 2017, 11:56:10 am
Dude, I think you're now going off the rails.  I usually agree with you, but fans still want a program that's always doing all it can (legally) to improve on the field.

Never said fans did not want that or want more wins ( they want more wins no matter how many the team just won ), I asked what do more wins, without titles, actually gain the program. Is it worth continually fretting over the coach, wanting him fired or to stay or to be given ultimatums, etc to just win a few more games. As a fan I want them to win every time they step on the field.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 16, 2017, 01:31:00 pm
I used to sell Pings in the '80s before all the high tech equipment came out.  Ping woods back then were great for the average player (meaning just about everyone).  They were some of the first woods to have a non-traditional shape and an oversized head, and they set up about 2º closed. They were also 1/2 long (43 1/2" driver, compared to 45" these days), had light-weight stiff shafts, and a swingweight of C-9 (as opposed to around D-2 for most clubs at the time).  The lighter weight, bigger head and slightly closed face promoted confidence.  They were awesome clubs for the time.

Every Ping wood I ever saw was high-gloss black made from laminated wood, maple I think.  If you had a light finish it was probably custom ordered or refinished, or maybe before my time. I do believe those of mine were maple.

I have some of the best persimmon woods in my garage ever made.  My 1956 Tommy Armour 693 driver was worth $1000 in 1985.  Probably good for kindling now.  But there's nothing like the feeling of flushing a balata Titleist with that club.  Some buddies of mine decided a few years ago to break out our old clubs and have a tournament.  The plan was to use balata balls.  I had a few, but they were mush.  We couldn't find any new ones.  I hit my first drive with a ProV1 and went "Yuck!!!"  It went about 230.  That left me with 160 yards to the green when I was used to about 100.  Then I hit my Palmer standard 7 iron 15 yards short of the green.  Felt like crap.  Everyone was having the same experience I was.  We finished the round half a dozen shots above our handicaps and raised a toast to high tech clubs.
Awsome story and info on the clubs. Mine had been custom but were what they called blonde. For their time it was an awesome set of clubs. The set I got for replacement in the fire ordeal were Ping eye 2's. The irons that burned up were Zing 2's. I had bought the woods and irons separately. I am also going thru the 15-25 yard poweroutage with these clubs but refuse to spend the monies for the updated stuff.

hawgon

That is the same kind of delusional rationalization as when he tried to say that losing the last game of the year to LSU was a good thing.

LRHawg

It just sounds like typical coach speech, to me ... we were bad but we're really going to be great next season, just wait.  I also see the oddness, logically speaking, of his words.

Hawgar The Horrible

Sounds simple enough to me. The players got cocky at one point and decided "We got this, coach". In all likelihood following Florida game. When in fact, they didn't have the first damn clue. They figured showing up was good enough to produce a win.

Now if these same players had beaten Mizzou and VA Tech they would be practically uncoachable right now.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 16, 2017, 05:12:55 pm

Sounds simple enough to me. The players got cocky at one point and decided "We got this, coach". In all likelihood following Florida game. When in fact, they didn't have the first damn clue. They figured showing up was good enough to produce a win.

Now if these same players had beaten Mizzou and VA Tech they would be practically uncoachable right now.

Uh... uncoachable after going 9-4? 
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on June 16, 2017, 02:07:03 pm
That is the same kind of delusional rationalization as when he tried to say that losing the last game of the year to LSU was a good thing.

So its your opinion that CBB is delusional?

gchamblee

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 05:22:36 pm
Uh... uncoachable after going 9-4?

Yes, CBB has lost the team. It's a disaster!

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 05:50:13 pm
Yes, CBB has lost the team. It's a disaster!

No he didn't.  He lost those last two games, so it's cool now.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoghearted

Quote from: rhames on June 16, 2017, 10:15:42 am

They are just words he says. Just like after the first time we lose we will hear how people showed up late to meetings. Blah blah blah

Over it.

agreed
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Wildhog

Can someone lay out the sliding scale of coachability vs wins? 
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 16, 2017, 06:03:51 pm
Can someone lay out the sliding scale of coachability vs wins? 

Yeah, but you have to be above the sophomore level to understand it.

lakecityhog

If we truly had players that refused to do what the coaches wanted them to do, I really have some issues with the whole coaching staff. Coaches coach and players play, I don't care how "good" a kid is, if he doesn't play as coached there is a simple remedy---BENCH HIM!!!!!
If you are going to lose, lose with kids that play as they are taught plus you just might bring the other kids back down to earth a bit!

gchamblee

Quote from: lakecityhog on June 16, 2017, 09:20:57 pm
If we truly had players that refused to do what the coaches wanted them to do, I really have some issues with the whole coaching staff. Coaches coach and players play, I don't care how "good" a kid is, if he doesn't play as coached there is a simple remedy---BENCH HIM!!!!!
If you are going to lose, lose with kids that play as they are taught plus you just might bring the other kids back down to earth a bit!

Would you bench Austin for throwing an interception, or Drew Morgan for fumbling inside the 10 while trying to make a play? Would you bench them if individual mistakes strung together were leading to a team collapse? Keep in mind, these are players that generally shake off a mistake and make a high quality play shortly after.

HamSammich

Quote from: lakecityhog on June 16, 2017, 09:20:57 pm

You shouldn't even have to post this. Almost all of us agree. There will be a few truthers that don't though

rhames

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on June 16, 2017, 05:12:55 pm

Damn. Let's hope Bret never wins big one season because after that the team will be uncoachable the next season.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

popcornhog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 16, 2017, 10:02:09 am
If we go 7-5 but beat bama, he gets a pass

Honestly, 7-5 with a win over Bama would be infuriating -- even more so than 7-5 without a Bama win.

If we have the guns to beat Bama, how bad does the coaching have to be to lose 5 games?
WPS

Hogs49ers

Dammit, I am already missing spending a lot of time in Extra Innings...some of our football fans just get me facepalming...
SCREW Vandy!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 16, 2017, 09:44:02 pm
Would you bench Austin for throwing an interception, or Drew Morgan for fumbling inside the 10 while trying to make a play? Would you bench them if individual mistakes strung together were leading to a team collapse? Keep in mind, these are players that generally shake off a mistake and make a high quality play shortly after.

I don't think that was what he was saying. You don't bench players who make a mistake while trying to make a play, at least not in the examples that you cited. What is more, I think that we are getting away from what was said by Bielema. I believe he was trying to say that the team might not be as laser focused on improvement as they are, had we won those last two games. The difference being that while they would still be focused on improving had they gone 9-4, they might not have the same sense of urgency about the degree of improvement that is needed as they have this off season, after having been embarrassed the last two games of the season.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

June 17, 2017, 07:10:20 am #98 Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:35:41 am by ricepig
It's simple, you win your last game of the season, 2014, 2015, you talk about building it one way, you lose like in 2013 and 2016, you use a different motivator. It's just coach speak for off season workouts, some try to make a mountain out of a mole hill........

WilsonHog

JFB: "Fans remember what you did in November."