Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking ahead at Hogs' 2018-19 roster ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, June 11, 2017, 10:37:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

June 11, 2017, 10:37:43 pm Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:29:17 pm by Kevin McPherson
* Daniel Gafford has likely grown to a legit 6-10 (or 6-11ish in shoes). He's a 5 all day every day. Getting stronger, adding 12-feet-and-in mid-range game, developing post skill, and staying out of foul trouble are a few of my question marks for Dan, but not concerned about any of it outside of how quickly he learns how to play without fouling. He's got 5-star height, length, bounce, and motor. Soft but strong hands. His instincts around the basket and his basketball IQ are very good. Could develop into a star -- great shot at SEC All Freshman team in '17-18, and down the road he has definite All SEC potential, possible AA potential, and is a likely NBA player.

* Khalil Garland was 6-5 as measured in shoes at Nike Skills Academy last summer, and I would say that's about spot-on right now. Definitely not 6-6. I think Khalil's skills and versatility make him an ultimate utility-guard who will initially play more at the 2 and 3 but will be able to help at the 1 more and more as he develops. 5-star open-court player who can do a lot of things to help a team. Has long-term All SEC potential, and would not surprise me if he made SEC All Freshman team in '17-18.

* Darious Hall is a bit taller than Khalil -- I'd say between 6-5 and 6-6 in shoes, so I give him the benefit of the doubt at 6-6 ... definitely not 6-7. Hall's a SF/3 all day every day who might see limited duty as a SF on the court w/3 guards and a big in favorable matchup situations, definitely won't be the norm though. Hall is going to open a lot eyes, also has long-term All SEC potential. Won't be surprised if he's All SEC freshman team in '17-18.

* Isaiah Joe is between 6-3 and 6-4 in shoes, so going with 6-4 there. Joe is a SG/2 (or a SG/3 in a 3-guard lineup) all day every day. He's not going to play PG. Also see All SEC potential in this young mandown the road, with SEC All Freshman team possibilities in '18-19. Great shooter already with unlimited range, underrated as an all-around player on offense, and he's one of the best backcourt defenders in the country, IMO. When he gets bigger and adds strength, look out!

* Gabe Osahuobien is between 6-7 and 6-8 in shoes, so going with 6-8 there. He's got some 3 skils, but because of his height, length, athleticism, and ability to be effective inside he is a fit for that combo-4 that CMA prefers over tradional PF types. So, they may look at him some at 3, but I think he'll settle into that combo-4 role. Big upside with Gabe long-term.

* Ethan Henderson is 6-8 in shoes. Ethan is most effective playing around the basket at both ends, but he is expanding his mid-range / face-up game and certainly can defend multiple positions which makes him a great fit for all the switching that CMA likes to do on the perimeter. Plus-athlete with excellent length, another player with a high celing.

* CJ Jones is 6-5 in shoes, and standing next to Garland at Real Deal looked like a dead heat in height. Like Joe, CJ is a SG/2 who can be a SG/3 in a 3-guard lineup. Will not help out at PG. Athletic and showed signs of being an efficient spot-up (or one-bounce) shooter from 3. Lots of potential offensively, lookimg for maturity and development on the defensive end.

* Adrio Bailey is 6-6 in shoes. I guess there is a possibility he can/will improve his perimeter ball skill enough to play at the 3, but I think he is a GREAT fit long-term playing that combo-4 role because of his plus-athleticism combined with his nose for tracking and getting to the ball. He's so quick, explosive, and instinctive that he often leaves his area to block a shot or get a deflection or steal. He brings positive chaos to the floor, and that is a staple of this brand of basketball. Will be fun watching him develop.

* Desi Sills is 6-1, maybe a smidge taller in shoes, but sticking with 6-1 for now. He's not a PG, not a typical shooting guard, either. He's a combo guard who will be able to help at both 1 and 2. Tough on-ball defender, Desi reminds me of Corey Beck in how he plays "bigger" than he is. Fearless slasher who goes right at bigger guards, gets into them and finishes. Efficient 3-point shooter. Has shown well in the mid-range, but seems to prefer driving all the way or shooting the 3-ball.

* Jalen Harris appears to be a legit 6-2 (only one of the 2018-19 Hogs who I've not seen in person multiple times, in fact, haven't seen him in person ever). Looks to be athletic with a nice burst without losing his ball skill. If he's a facilitator-first PG, he looks to be a nice complementary piece to the others.

* Justice Hill will likely be in position to re-classify and come in with the '18 class, and though his Dad has said that scenario looks like it would be as a mid-term transfer (for spring semester that begins in mid-December 2018) and as a redshirt, they are not ruling out a reclass for the entire school year, and a big part of that decision will be based on the wishes/team needs expressed by CMA. I think Justice has been developing nicely, a true PG whose understanding of spacing, timing, ball movement, etc. just gets better every time I see him play. The chemistry between him and his Hawks-to-Hogs teammates will be a huge plus, and his importance as a floor leader is already evident now in how those guys respond to him at both ends of the floor. Fascinating to watch a facilitating PG progress like he has.

psooie

Hill as a midterm redshirt seems pretty dumb since it waste a scholarship for that year. Right now there are two open, would hill pay his own way as a mid term redshirt? Maybe he should enjoy high school that year

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: psooie on June 12, 2017, 09:07:25 am
Hill as a midterm redshirt seems pretty dumb since it waste a scholarship for that year. Right now there are two open, would hill pay his own way as a mid term redshirt? Maybe he should enjoy high school that year

Disagree. There are several reasons why that would be a good move, starting with the fact that if there is no more unexpected attrition there will be no available scholarships coming open in the 2019 class, which is Hill's current classification. Getting Hill in early gives him a chance to redshirt as a mid-term while practicing with the team and adjusting to the speed/strength/skill of the high-major college game ... OR, he comes in for the entire '18-19 season with a group of guys he has built chemistry with for years, so there's huge benefit there out of the gates.

redleg

Let's hope that Hill comes to Fayetteville in August 2018 as a freshman, ready to play that fall. It would give Arkansas a second true PG, and just make that team even better.
Who are some other players that are likely commits to the Hogs for the 2018 class? Rodgerick Brown?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: redleg on June 16, 2017, 02:32:11 pm
Let's hope that Hill comes to Fayetteville in August 2018 as a freshman, ready to play that fall. It would give Arkansas a second true PG, and just make that team even better.
Who are some other players that are likely commits to the Hogs for the 2018 class? Rodgerick Brown?

No, looks like RB may re-classify to 2017. BTW, that wild Hog in your avatar, my uncle was the artist. It hung in many UA coaches' offices for many years during the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Big Nasty 34

Welp, with the Perry news and lack of legit 4 spot prospects, I could see Hall getting more time at the 4 then we want. Hopefully, we get a legit guy that can play there, but not holding my breath.