Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uhhhh...Macon tweet

Started by batmanfan, April 14, 2017, 08:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2017, 12:59:49 pm
I still doubt much has changed in Macon's mind over the last few weeks.
Anderson said Macon and Barford were going to test the NBA water's just like Kingsley did last year.
At this point, I doubt either one knows for sure what the future holds.
Fans are too impatient - just going to have to wait, let both these players do their thing over the next couple of weeks and see what happens.
It's senseless to hang on a kid's every tweet.
I am not disagreeing with you, but you are talking about something completely different. He should declare and get feedback. Any junior with dreams of playing in the NBA would be stupid not to. That isn't the point, though. He knew his message was going to cause a stir. It implied he was leaving. There really is no other logical way to interpret his tweet. He has been doing it for weeks, too. That is my point. Whether he returns or not, he seems to love the attention his decision brings.

HamSammich

Quote from: azhog10 on April 15, 2017, 04:17:19 pm
Its truly amazing.

you realize its the same two agents in NW Ar that are getting in our players ears and giving them bad advice.... yes some of this falls on Anderson. He knows these guys well. They need to be banned from our program. They are farming our players messing up their lives so they can make their paltry sum each year.

azhog10

Quote from: HamSammich on April 15, 2017, 06:44:25 pm
you realize its the same two agents in NW Ar that are getting in our players ears and giving them bad advice.... yes some of this falls on Anderson. He knows these guys well. They need to be banned from our program. They are farming our players messing up their lives so they can make their paltry sum each year.
Sure. But you also can't fix stupid. I'm not saying Macon is stupid, I'm saying the situation of Arkansas players being less realistic of their abilities than most out there. Kids at UNC and even others actually projected understand why coming back is more important. This idea that you  have to leave now to get paid overseas is so dumb. Check with Marshall Henderson how the over seas thing works out. You are as lucky to actually get paid as you are to make six figures.

Also those agents don't have anything to do with the program.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: azhog10 on April 15, 2017, 07:10:03 pm
Sure. But you also can't fix stupid. I'm not saying Macon is stupid, I'm saying the situation of Arkansas players being less realistic of their abilities than most out there. Kids at UNC and even others actually projected understand why coming back is more important. This idea that you  have to leave now to get paid overseas is so dumb. Check with Marshall Henderson how the over seas thing works out. You are as lucky to actually get paid as you are to make six figures.

Also those agents don't have anything to do with the program.

Probably happens as much elsewhere. We just tend to focus on us cuz its well............us.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 15, 2017, 07:52:09 pm
Probably happens as much elsewhere. We just tend to focus on us cuz its well............us.

That's the thing; it doesn't happen at other schools like it does here.  Guys leave here for the potential of $50k overseas and Miles Bridges is turning down guaranteed lottery pick to come back and it isn't like Mich St killed it last season.

HossHog

ShadowHawg

April 15, 2017, 09:39:07 pm #156 Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:33:51 am by ShadowHawg
Quote from: The Hogfather on April 15, 2017, 08:01:25 pm
That's the thing; it doesn't happen at other schools like it does here.  Guys leave here for the potential of $50k overseas and Miles Bridges is turning down guaranteed lottery pick to come back and it isn't like Mich St killed it last season.

It happened at Kansas, Texas, West Virginia,  Xavier, Indiana, USC, Maryland, NC State, and Rhode Island just last year..

Kansas and USC had 2 apiece.

I guess it does happen other places. Even good programs.

Hogz87

Before I react any kind of way to this, I need to know two things. 

Does Macon have a child?  Does he have a fiancee or wife?

Dr. Starcs

Who are they?

hawgmasta

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2017, 12:53:07 am
I didn't think the tweet was that weird - everyone went too crazy over it.
He and Barford announced they were entering the NBA draft, not hiring an agent, going through the NBA combine, get feedback and see where they're at.
That Macon would send out a thank you tweet to the fans and University fits perfectly with what he's doing right now.
If they get good feedback - one or both may be gone.
If they don't -  my guess is both will be back.

Seems to me today is the same as yesterday and the day before regarding the status of Macon and Barford.

This. Unless he gets a solid 2nd round or so feedback why would he leave? He's arguably our best player coming back to a tournament team. Of course there is the money and I have no idea if there is somebody in his family that really needs help and you can't ever blame a guy using his talents that they work their tail off for to make money.

It sounded like he was just being grateful, they say being grateful and showing/telling how grateful you are is the #1 ingredient to happiness. Maybe we should all try it.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Birminghog on April 15, 2017, 04:08:03 pm
I'm hoping that they talk to Moses, someone they know and trust, and that he tells them that returning was the right idea.

Do you think Moses helped his stock coming back?
SEC!

King Kong

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 16, 2017, 04:10:32 pm

NBADRAFT.NET has him as a 2nd round pick right now. So maybe. It's really impossible to know. If it has improved it's minimal at best

hobhog

Huh? Do tell.....

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

BJ Young, Marshawn Powell, Michael Qualls, an now possibly daryl macon. All guys that couldve taken our program to the next level by returning
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

widespreadsooie

Macon isn't going anywhere unless he has a legitimate shot of being drafted in the NBA and I would say that's highly doubtful.

AlmaHog2011

Who are the two agents that have the ear of Hog Bball players?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: tncbg on April 16, 2017, 08:18:57 pm
If there are two agents in Fayetteville trying to make a living on getting hog basketball players into the NBA...they are starving.

Exactly.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2017, 09:12:28 pm
Yes i can deny it. i love Macon. but i think C.J.Jones can be better than him.just remember i posted this.CJ is going to be really good next year.the program will be fine next year.

I'll gladly change my username to What's Shakin' C.J. Jones if he plays anywhere near the level of Macon.....which he most assuredly will not (at least not this coming season).

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 15, 2017, 02:45:56 pm
Crazy thing is, Barford is the one with a child and looks to be a better prospect, and seems pretty intent on coming back, just getting feedback. Macon can shoot better, but not as athletic. I seriously think it's all a ploy for more attention. I'd be shocked if he left, but we've seen it before... If he does, it won't be in the NBA. Yes, he'd get paid to go play somewhere and he might never make the NBA. But having the spotlight for next year is sure better than playing overseas for a few years and never getting more of a shot than that at the big time. Not many guys make it out of D-League...
Very true, Barford is the much better prospect. Though, I would argue that he would benefit more from coming back than Macon. Macon is much closer to his ceiling as a player than Barford, and I don't see Macon ever suiting up for an NBA team (not that I lack any love for him) no matter whether he comes back or not. Barford could greatly increase his stock with proper improvement over the next year.
Macon doesn't strike me as a "I hate class and need money right away...sure, Italy sounds great!" type of guy, but I could easily be wrong. Kikko had all he wanted of overseas ball after one season, maybe he can talk to Macon.

rzrbackramsfan

Macon remind me of CJ McCollum who's good in the NBA.   I think Macon can make it in the NBA if he comes back to Arkansas and keeps getting better.

Hawg Red

When I think of Macon's NBA prospects, I see his ceiling as a guy who spends a lot of time in the D-League and makes it to a few training camps. I think he has the ability to be a nice minor league combo guard. Maybe he even gets a couple of late-season 10-day contracts here and there. But he has some stuff to really work on. I think a senior season in the SEC as a feature player on the Hogs would really, really serve him well for the next level (wherever that may be). I'd hate to see him give up all that potential improvement on a national stage (I'm figuring both the Hogs and SEC will see increased exposure this coming season) to play for 50-70k in Bosnia or somewhere and get lost in the overseas minor league shuffle. Coming back to Arkansas and killing it as a senior will do wonders for his professional outlook in every league.

The_Iceman

navyhog24

That's a big loss for USCe

Hawg4life33

Probably means they go from Final 4 to the NIT. Uninspiring recruiting class and the loss of Dozier, Thornwell and Notice will be hard to overcome.

ShadowHawg

Frank Martin better get that figured out.

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2017, 09:32:18 am
Frank Martin better get that figured out.

Doesn't he know that doesn't happen to other programs?

TebowHater

Quote from: King Kong on April 17, 2017, 09:38:46 am
Doesn't he know that doesn't happen to other programs?

He got Thornwell to come back and made the F4. He is losing Dozier, and now we are saying he will end up in NIT.

That is ALL that we have been saying. To win, you have to get your best players to come back. If you don't do that, you won't be next-level good. So far, MA has not been able to succeed in getting people to come back. We hope he does, so we can experience at least one run past the second round.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on April 17, 2017, 09:01:02 am
Probably means they go from Final 4 to the NIT. Uninspiring recruiting class and the loss of Dozier, Thornwell and Notice will be hard to overcome.

They will be lucky to be an NIT team.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 16, 2017, 04:10:32 pm

Probably not because the 2016 draft was not as Good or as deep as this 2017 class.

hogsanity

Players leaving early to try to make it in pro ball somewhere ( nba, d league, over seas ) is not on Mike. What is on Mike is roster management and if there are younger players on the roster to pick up the slack. If Mike is recruiting guys who are at least talented enough to MAYBE make $$$ by leaving early, that is a good thing. Frustrating for fans, but not a bad thing from a program stand point.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Captain Morgan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2017, 10:03:50 am
Players leaving early to try to make it in pro ball somewhere ( nba, d league, over seas ) is not on Mike. What is on Mike is roster management and if there are younger players on the roster to pick up the slack. If Mike is recruiting guys who are at least talented enough to MAYBE make $$$ by leaving early, that is a good thing. Frustrating for fans, but not a bad thing from a program stand point.

Yeah but you have to play defense in the NBA and Macon wasn't very good at that; in fact he was just slightly better than Dusty on defense.  I don't see him in any NBA draft top 100 prospects and only 60 guys get selected

hogsanity

Quote from: Captain Morgan on April 17, 2017, 10:07:51 am
Yeah but you have to play defense in the NBA and Macon wasn't very good at that; in fact he was just slightly better than Dusty on defense.  I don't see him in any NBA draft top 100 prospects and only 60 guys get selected

Who knows what these guys are being told by agents, family, etc. Also, we do not know what there family situations TRULY are, so the lure of even a d-league or overseas salary may be to good to pass up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TebowHater on April 17, 2017, 09:47:19 am
He got Thornwell to come back and made the F4. He is losing Dozier, and now we are saying he will end up in NIT.

That is ALL that we have been saying. To win, you have to get your best players to come back. If you don't do that, you won't be next-level good. So far, MA has not been able to succeed in getting people to come back. We hope he does, so we can experience at least one run past the second round.

Moses came back.

Powell graduated and didn't want to go to graduate school.

In spite of your ignorance, Qualls was projected solidly to get drafted until he tore his acl and still signed a free agent contract with okc before he screwed up and got arrested on a drug related charge.

Really the only guy who left early was Bj and you can't fix +?:)&$.

You are just a hater.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2017, 10:03:50 am

Dude. I have agreed with you twice this month. Now I am going outside to see lightning strike twice in the same place. Could happen.  ;D
Hogs up! Covid down!

code red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 15, 2017, 02:45:56 pm
Crazy thing is, Barford is the one with a child and looks to be a better prospect, and seems pretty intent on coming back, just getting feedback. Macon can shoot better, but not as athletic. I seriously think it's all a ploy for more attention. I'd be shocked if he left, but we've seen it before... If he does, it won't be in the NBA. Yes, he'd get paid to go play somewhere and he might never make the NBA. But having the spotlight for next year is sure better than playing overseas for a few years and never getting more of a shot than that at the big time. Not many guys make it out of D-League...
I know nothing about how Macon and Barford will approach this.  But. You have to consider.  That they may be thinking...."if we are going to play we might as well get paid."  Its a different world we live in these days.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2017, 10:22:15 am
Who knows what these guys are being told by agents, family, etc. Also, we do not know what there family situations TRULY are, so the lure of even a d-league or overseas salary may be to good to pass up.
Can they talk to agents and come back?  Or does money have to exchange hands?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

widespreadsooie

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on April 16, 2017, 07:32:50 pm
Who are the two agents that have the ear of Hog Bball players?

Michael Conley is an agent in Fayetteville. Whether he's in the ear of anyone, I'm not sure.

Grizzlyfan

It seems to me that if you are going to declare for the draft, and you have no intention of coming back, you sign an agent.  They can definitely help you through the process.  If you are just testing the waters, you don't hire an agent.  At this point, it sounds like neither intend to hire an agent.

J-Five

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 14, 2017, 08:40:46 pm
What is it about our program that makes so many non-NBA players leave early?

Mike has to figure this out and make changes.

What do you want him to do?  He can't MAKE a player stay...not sure how this is Mike's fault or how he's supposed to "make changes".  He can only continue to recruit well, like he has been...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2017, 11:56:13 am
Can they talk to agents and come back?  Or does money have to exchange hands?

All we ever hear is they can not sign with an agent, but I assume money changing hands would suffice to end their ability to come back.

TebowHater

Quote from: J-Five on April 17, 2017, 12:40:05 pm
What do you want him to do?  He can't MAKE a player stay...not sure how this is Mike's fault or how he's supposed to "make changes".  He can only continue to recruit well, like he has been...

How do you guys think people deciding they no longer want to play for their coach is not the fault of the coach? Winning programs have players return, period.

Look, I like Mike and want him to succeed and if Macon and Barford come back he gets all the credit for their success. Hopefully they come back and then we, too, will have a great shot at being a true winning program. But to accept mediocrity and say it's 100% out of the coach's control when some coaches have a much higher rate of getting their guys to return (indicating it is not, in fact, random) is crazy.

hogsanity

Quote from: TebowHater on April 17, 2017, 02:26:14 pm
How do you guys think people deciding they no longer want to play for their coach is not the fault of the coach? Winning programs have players return, period.

Look, I like Mike and want him to succeed and if Macon and Barford come back he gets all the credit for their success. Hopefully they come back and then we, too, will have a great shot at being a true winning program. But to accept mediocrity and say it's 100% out of the coach's control when some coaches have a much higher rate of getting their guys to return (indicating it is not, in fact, random) is crazy.

Are you just trying to be daft? Winning programs have players return, period? I am not a big Anderson fan, but even I would not try to pin this on him. They no longer want to play in college because they think they can go get paid somewhere to play.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 14, 2017, 09:33:24 pm
I don't think he was trolling. I think he feels the Tweet was twisted into something it wasn't meant be. So he took it down
x

Not to mention, he's already stated that he's coming back.

jjdlc

Quote from: TebowHater on April 17, 2017, 02:26:14 pm

It's up to the coach to do everything he can to talk them into coming back, but some of these kids aren't going to listen no matter what coach is trying to convince them, it is a problem for all coaches.  It's getting worse too, some of these kids get the wild hair its time to get paid, regardless if it's millions in the NBA, or $50k overseas, and nothing anyone can do is going to change their minds.

snoblind

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 15, 2017, 11:00:57 am
This has zero to do with Mike in my opinion, but anybody that thinks Macon will just easily be replaced is a loon.

Well, no shortage of loons around here.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2017, 02:57:13 pm
Are you just trying to be daft? Winning programs have players return, period? I am not a big Anderson fan, but even I would not try to pin this on him. They no longer want to play in college because they think they can go get paid somewhere to play.

The key is to recruit and coach up quality players every year.  Yes, other programs lose players, too.  The ones that are successful year after year don't have to discuss for three years how much better they would have been if a player or two had stayed around.

sowmonella

I believe they both just want to go though the evaluation process. Why not be graded by the NBA and confirm where improvements are needed. Both Macon and Barford are smart guys.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HoopS

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 04:38:31 pm
The key is to recruit and coach up quality players every year.  Yes, other programs lose players, too.  The ones that are successful year after year don't have to discuss for three years how much better they would have been if a player or two had stayed around.
we didn't have to either. One down year off of losing two leaving early. Pretty quick recovery.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 04:38:31 pm

You mean like Kansas who had 2 guys declare and go undrafted?

Nipsey Mussle

For those who are certain this means Macon is leaving, the question of why he hasn't hired an agent is unavoidable. I would like to hear an explanation.

I know things usually don't swing this way in Hogs' basketball, but I'm gonna predict both come back.