Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy rape case update

Started by jbcarol, September 19, 2013, 08:15:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

This almost rises to Penn State sleazy Ness on the part if Vanderbilt.

Looks like PU hired the right coach.

jbcarol

Penn State finally starting to get the surprises that come with James Franklin's hire: David Jones

QuoteIn January, when Franklin was hired rather than finalist Munchak and contender Al Golden of Miami, I said that I would not have been able to get much rest were I PSU athletic director Dave Joyner or outgoing president Rod Erickson having made that choice.

I wrote that you had to assume Franklin's part in the case had been thoroughly vetted and he'd come up clean. The Nashville district attorney said so last year. Joyner said so during Franklin's introductory news conference, interjecting this into a question about the case I'd asked of the new coach:

"This whole process of vetting was maybe the most thorough vetting process of any search, perhaps of any position at this university. We utilized multiple independent third-party sources. We used people and contacts that knew James closely including officials and administrators from Vanderbilt."

Joyner mentioned a glowing endorsement of longtime Maryland athletic director Debbie Yow who worked with Franklin there and now is at North Carolina State. He mentioned that the PSU search committee "asked hard questions and got honest and true answers."

Joyner concluded: "My belief is that James Franklin is a man of extremely high character. ... I couldn't be more confident in the character of this man sitting to my left."

That's fine. The problem is, you cannot possibly vet what will emerge from a trial or its run-up...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez ‏@TGonzalez

NEW: Feds to investigate sexual assaults at Vanderbilt University http://tnne.ws/1kqmnbU  via @tgonzalez
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

James Franklin: 'I want to be as open and transparent as I can be'

Quote"I addressed this matter Tuesday [in a statement] and during my initial press conference on Jan. 11, cooperated fully with the authorities," Franklin said. "This matter was thoroughly investigated by the authorities and also Vanderbilt's internal counsel and external counsel. This is a legal matter though and that's really about all I can say. So I want to be as open and transparent as I possibly can, and have been all along. But with this being a legal matter, that's about all I can say."

While Franklin is, obviously, reticent to discuss the issue publicly, the same reservations do not apply privately. The coach acknowledged that he used the ongoing situation at his former school as a teachable moment for his current players.

"We put a power point presentation up every single day," the coach said, "every time that we have a team meeting and it shows examples of things that are going on in this country and... for them to hopefully learn from.

"And [the Vandy situation] was one of them. I shared with them what I could just like I'm sharing with you guys today what I can."

jbcarol

Prosecutors in the Vanderbilt rape case are seeking to hold attorneys for one of the defendants, Brandon Vandenburg, in contempt of court for violating court rules about evidence.

Assistant District Attorney General Jan Norman asked Judge Monte Watkins to hold Vandenburg's four attorneys in criminal contempt at a motion hearing Monday morning to review several requests from various attorneys in the case. Norman said they have violated multiple court rules and Tennessee's rape shield law, designed to protect victims of sexual assault.

Quote"To do anything else would tell every rape victim in Tennessee that our rape shield law doesn't mean anything at all," Norman said.

One of Vandenburg's attorneys, John Herbison, asked for time to seek legal advice on the matter before Watkins makes a decision.

"This is a grandstand play, your honor," he said.

Watkins said he would take the matter under advisement and make a decision later. He also ordered all future filings to be sealed in the case.

Vandenburg's attorneys have demanded a large number of records from Vanderbilt University about the victim, who police said was raped while unconscious June 23, 2013, in Vandenburg's dorm room. They have also demanded that the case be dropped because of prosecutorial misconduct.

Vandenburg, 20, from Indio, Calif.; Cory Batey, 19, of Nashville; Brandon Eric Banks, 19, from Brandywine, Md.; and Jaborian McKenzie, 19, from Woodville, Miss., are each charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg also is charged with one count of unlawful photography and tampering with evidence.

Steef

The attorneys are doing a good job of dragging this out, obscuring the facts and re-victimizing the victim.

I just hope the DA hangs tough on this.

jbcarol

Quote from: steefhog on June 30, 2014, 03:35:45 pm
The attorneys are doing a good job of dragging this out, obscuring the facts and re-victimizing the victim.

I just hope the DA hangs tough on this.

John Partipilo / The Tennessean

They apparently did not have a photo of Vandenberg to use as the model.

Steef

Quote from: jbcarol on August 09, 2014, 08:04:05 am

John Partipilo / The Tennessean

They apparently did not have a photo of Vandenberg to use as the model.

I do appreciate your position on this issue.

jbcarol

The trial of two of four former Vanderbilt University football players accused of raping an unconscious student last summer was pushed back to Nov. 3 after defense attorneys complained they were blindsided by new evidence.

The trial of Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey had been set to begin Aug. 11, more than a year after police say an unconscious student was raped on video by the players in Vandenburg's dorm room. But on Friday, attorneys for Vandenburg and Batey said recent testimony by another former player, Jaborian McKenzie, "changes the landscape" of the case.

QuoteVandenburg's attorney, John Herbison, explained that until two weeks ago, they had never heard the allegation that not only video and photo evidence had been destroyed, but also condoms. Herbison said they also heard for the first time allegations that the rape involved more than the use of an object on the victim.

"We need to know what we are up against in this case," Herbison said.

Vandenburg, 21, from Indio, Calif.; Batey, 20, of Nashville; Brandon Eric Banks, 20, from Brandywine, Md.; and Jaborian McKenzie, 19, from Woodville, Miss., are each charged with five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery. Vandenburg also is charged with one count of unlawful photography and tampering with evidence.

All four have pleaded not guilty and are free on bonds ranging from $50,000 to $350,000.

Deputy District Attorney General Tom Thurman on Friday opposed the continuance, saying there has been plenty of time to muster a defense and that prosecutors have gone overboard in sharing evidence.

Watkins said he's not inclined to postpone the trial but ultimately agreed to move it to Nov. 3.

"The defense is not ready and that's unfortunate, because it should be," Watkins said.

Batey's attorney, Worrick Robinson said when the case gets to trial, it will be akin to a brutal football drill in which two players drive into each other until one has been pummeled to the ground.

"This trial will be the Oklahoma Drill of trials," he said.

The choice of imagery is not lost on me.

jbcarol

http://newschannel5.video.jrn.com/MorningLine-Vanderbilt-Rape-Case-New-Developements-26472305

Channel 5 legal analyst, Nick Leonardo takes a look at the case, what's new and what are the next steps for the defense and the prosecution.

Steef

jbcarol

Steef

Quote from: jbcarol on August 18, 2014, 09:25:45 pm
nada

They're grinding it out, expecting(hoping) everyone will forget or lose interest.

What a world we live in.

God is keeping score, though.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: steefhog on August 18, 2014, 09:34:19 pm
They're grinding it out, expecting(hoping) everyone will forget or lose interest.

What a world we live in.

God is keeping score, though.

Aside from the media attention this is not really that unusual.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jbcarol

WSMV-TV, Nashville @WSMV  ·  3h

BREAKING: Sexual assault reported in Vanderbilt dorm http://bit.ly/1pCPInv

QuoteThe notice sent by police read:

"Residential Housing staff received a report that a female student was sexually assaulted by a male acquaintance in a residence hall on the Commons on the night of August 23rd. No further details are known at this time."

Steef

Dear parents around the country,

Do not send your daughters to Vanderbilt University.

DeltaBoy

Sad to see Lawyers dragging this thing out.  We need a overhaul of the legal system.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: steefhog on August 26, 2014, 03:44:01 pm
Dear parents around the country,

Do not send your daughters to Vanderbilt University.

Guess they shouldn't go to any of the schools on this list, including ND and the US Naval Academy.

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2013/12/college-football-sexual-assualt-jameis-winston

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 27, 2014, 10:25:29 am
Sad to see Lawyers dragging this thing out.  We need a overhaul of the legal system.

I agree, getting things done fast is much more important than getting them right.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jbcarol

Channel 4 I-Team: NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

One of the four former Vanderbilt football players accused of raping an unconscious student last summer is back on the football field

QuoteJaborian "Tip" McKenzie is on the Alcorn State 2014 football roster, despite five counts of aggravated rape against him.

The wide receiver is listed as a redshirt sophomore who formerly played at Vanderbilt. According to the roster, he played last Saturday.

Pictures posted to Facebook as recently as last Sunday showed McKenzie in his uniform as an Alcorn State Brave.

A video posted to Instagram five months ago reportedly shows McKenzie dancing at a Mississippi McDonald's wearing a Vanderbilt jersey.

McKenzie is one of four former Vanderbilt football players accused of raping an unconscious woman in a campus dorm last summer.

He also played for Alcorn State last year, but only for one game. In September, the university's president at the time issued a strongly worded statement announcing that McKenzie had been kicked off the team.

The president also cited campus safety concerns as one of the reasons McKenzie was pulled from the roster. The president requested a review by the Alcorn Campus Police Department and a criminal history report for the campus and surrounding area.

When the Channel 4 I-Team asked Alcorn State what had changed in that time, causing the university to reverse its decision, the university said, "Alcorn State University has decided that Jaborian McKenzie, a student since 2013, will compete as a student-athlete on the 2014 Braves football team."

jbcarol

Suspect in Vandy rape case removed from CA football team

Butte College in California has removed Brandon Banks, one of the four men charged in the Vanderbilt rape case, from its football team after the Channel 4 I-Team asked questions about why he was able to play.

QuoteDespite facing five counts of aggravated rape, the I-Team had just learned Banks was on the school's 2014 roster.

"The director of athletics contacted me ... he wanted to ask my advice," Al Renville, director of student affairs at Butte College, said Monday. "Whether or not there is an issue with a student at a former college, I did not know if he was still attending or left the college, but he had been accused of sexual assault.

"If there is no action that had been taken, or the person is not on their way to jail for being convicted, so anybody has the ability to go to school at Butte," Renville added.

Since Monday's interview, Renville said the school has heard backlash from the community and had a change of heart.

Butte College President Dr. Kimberly Perry said Banks would be "removed from the football team effective immediately" for "violating the student athlete code of conduct."

"Butte College has a strong code of conduct for all student athletes, and clearly with the charges pending, the student should not have been allowed to participate on the team," Perry said.

Banks is not the only suspect who has returned to the football field.

Last week, the I-Tema uncovered that co-defendant Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie was playing for Alcorn State.

Butte College said it will now conduct an immediate review of its athletic enrollment policies.

neohog

I checked the roster at Alcorn State, and Tip Mckenzie is on it. 
I emailed the associate athletic director at:   weir@alcorn.edu to let them know how much I disapprove. 

Steef

Quote from: neohog on September 12, 2014, 07:42:59 am
I emailed the associate athletic director at:   weir@alcorn.edu to let them know how much I disapprove.

+1

jbcarol

Quote from: neohog on September 12, 2014, 07:42:59 am

Let us know if you get any kind of reply.

BadHog

Dismissed!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23628082/exvandy-wr-tip-mckenzie-dismissed-by-alcorn-state-after-one-game

However,

Alcorn State coach Jay Hopson told the Associated Press that he believes the freshman wide receiver is "100 percent innocent" of the charges.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

jbcarol

Vandy Student Paper Report Alleges Rapes By Current Football Player, Recruit

QuoteUpdate 9:40 p.m.: In emails earlier this evening, Vanderbilt's assistant vice chancellor of news and communications, Elizabeth Latt, confirmed that Vanderbilt crime logs show two incidents, that the Jan. 25 allegation was investigated by Metro police, and that "a police report has not been filed at this time in the Jan. 21 incident" — the one that, according to the Hustler report, allegedly involved a current Vanderbilt football player. Latt said that "as with all sexual assaults reported to the university, the matter was referred to the Vanderbilt University Title IX coordinator whose office, the Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action and Disability Services Department (EAD) has responsibility for investigating complaints made to the university." She added the following statement:

"Sexual misconduct investigations and determinations as part of a university disciplinary process are private, so no one but the parties, the investigators and the adjudicators know the facts, and the university is barred from disclosing them."

The recruit did not land at Vandy.

jbcarol

I-Team: The Vanderbilt police log shows on Jan. 21, someone reported a rape at the Hank Ingram House, a housing complex for nearly 300 first-year students.

Metro Police said they were not called to investigate the incident.

A spokesperson for the university said the case went to the school's Title IX coordinator. The Title IX office is responsible for investigating such complaints.

The Hustler's story said the victim was hospitalized after she was allegedly attached the second time.

The Vanderbilt crime log showed another rape reported during the early morning hours of Jan. 25, this time at the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house.

Metro police did get called to help investigate this allegation.

Police said the 19-year-old student met a high school football prospect at an Alpha Epsilon Pi party. The prospect did not enroll at Vanderbilt.

The woman told officers the man dragged her from the frat house to the Marriott, where he was staying, and raped her.

Police said the high school recruit told the girl to leave his room.

She later called friends from near Vanderbilt Stadium after leaving the room.

Surveillance video reviewed by police showed no evidence the 19-year-old was forced to the hotel.

Police said the alleged victim did not want to prosecute, so the investigation was closed.

A spokesperson for the university said sexual misconduct investigations are kept private, and the school is barred from sharing any details.

QuoteVanderbilt is among 50 colleges under investigation by the Department of Education for the way it handled sexual violence and harassment complaints.

Four former Vanderbilt football players are accused of raping a coed inside a dorm room in June 2013. The four players face trial later this year.

jbcarol

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  6 hours ago

Former Vanderbilt coach James Franklin admits lying to team, as he testifies in rape hearing | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/CsvSA

vandybuff

As a Vandy fan, I am glad he is no longer our coach.  Yes, he could win games, but it was never a good 'fit'.  I think we and he are happier now.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

jbcarol

Lawyer makes new sexual assault claim in Vandy rape case

QuoteDefense attorneys in the Vanderbilt University rape case involving four former football players lodged a new allegation in court Thursday about two of the men charged.

The attorney for one of them disputed the new claim. He acknowledged that some kind of incident occurred on June 22 in Gillette Hall, the same dorm where the rape occurred, but said his client had not been involved and that no crime had been committed.

The new allegation surfaced when one of the defense attorneys for ex-player Brandon Vandenburg asked the judge to assist the defense in getting information about a separate sexual assault on Vanderbilt's campus one night before police say Vandenburg and three other players raped an unconscious female student in a dorm room...

vandybuff

jbcarol

Judge to hear 2 experts in Vanderbilt rape case before jury

Two expert witnesses will be allowed to attend the Vanderbilt University rape trial next week. But whether the jury will hear them has not been decided.

Judge Monte D. Watkins ruled Monday that two defense experts deserve to be heard without the jury present so that he can determine what, if any, of their testimony should be included in the case.

QuoteThe Davidson County District Attorney had asked the judge to block the two witnesses on grounds that they became part of the case too close to trial and that their testimony might not be reliable.

The experts would testify about the mental state of former football players Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey, who face charges in what police said was the rape of Vandenburg's unconscious 21-year-old girlfriend on June 23, 2013. Two other ex-players also are charged but await separate and as-yet-unscheduled trials.

In Vandenburg's case, defense lawyers shared a two-page report by a California psychologist that concluded he was too intoxicated on the night of the rape to be held accountable for the actions of the other men.

The judge also found Monday that a live video stream that allowed the victim to watch a hearing from outside of the courtroom did not violate court procedures...

jbcarol

Judge rebuffs request to exit Vanderbilt rape case

Defense attorney John Herbison requested that the judge remove himself from the rape case involving four former university football players. Herbison said the judge didn't follow the law when communicating with prosecutors to arrange for a live video stream during a pretrial hearing earlier this month.

Quote"Attack upon attack upon attack."

That's how a Nashville prosecutor described the methods of defense attorneys in the Vanderbilt University rape case during a court hearing Wednesday.

The latest target? Judge Monte D. Watkins...

"Welcome to what we've been going through," said Assistant District Attorney Roger Moore, describing several personal barbs thrown at prosecutors by Herbison.

The request for a new judge could still complicate the trial scheduled to begin on Monday — if Herbison wants to appeal the judge's decision in court.

Watkins said he isn't inclined to delay the trial. Prosecutors also opposed the idea.

The attorneys again sparred over a psychologist whom the defense wants to testify at trial about Vandenburg's level of intoxication on the night police said he and three other men raped an unconscious woman in his dorm room.

So far, the judge has not barred the expert. He has said he will handle such requests as they come up during the trial.

But, adding to prior arguments, Deputy District Attorney Tom Thurman fought Wednesday to get the defense to reveal exactly how the psychologist came to her conclusions — including wanting access to any recordings or notes from her interview of Vandenburg. He said prosecutors have a right to see that material to prepare for trial. But he emphasized that he still wants her blocked...

Steef

There more aggressive and creative a defense presented by an attorney, the more expensive that attorney and his/her campaign.

Someone with deep pockets is underwriting this defense.

jbcarol

A judge Friday denied requests from defense attorneys to delay the start of a trial for two former Vanderbilt University football players accused of rape.

The ruling cleared the way for the Monday start of trial for Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey, two of four men accused in the case.

QuoteVandenburg's attorneys asked that the jury be sequestered during the trial. Prosecutors objected, saying they've spent enough taxpayer money to get witnesses here for the trial, and that the defense had plenty of time to previously make the request.

In denying the request for delay, Judge Monte Watkins said the trial will last more than a week, and defense attorneys have time to arrange for expert witnesses.

Watkins also denied the request for jury sequestration, saying it is too late to make such arrangements. He will give jurors instructions to avoid media coverage of the trial. Jury selection begins Monday.

The 11th-hour requests from the defense prompted sparring between the legal teams.

"It took them 15 months to figure out now Mr. Batey was drunk and didn't know what he was doing," Deputy District Attorney General Tom Thurman said during court. "I don't know what they've been doing."

Robinson, Batey's attorney, refuted claims that he was not prepared, saying evidence had "trickled in" and required the last-minute filings.

Before the start of trial, attorneys are expected to receive additional evidence, including text messages sent from the alleged victim.

On Friday, attorneys and computer experts toured Vanderbilt University to learn more about the security surveillance system. Video that may show events surrounding the alleged incident could play a key role in the trial.

vandybuff

jbcarol

Three potential jurors were dismissed Monday afternoon as attorneys and prosecutors moved slowly toward picking a jury in the Vanderbilt rape case.

After three hours of questioning from prosecutors and defense attorneys, an attorney for a record label, Vanderbilt University employee and woman who said she did not like to judge others were let go from the jury pool.

QuoteFourteen people will be selected to hear the cases against Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey, two former Vanderbilt football players accused of raping a girl. Two of those will be alternates, who may be dismissed before reaching a verdict.

Vandenburg and Batey, and many of their family members, sat in on court proceedings today.

Jury selection is expected to continue Tuesday, with opening statements possible late Tuesday afternoon.

One issue that could be key going forward with selection: making sure pretrial publicity does not taint jurors. When asked by Judge Monte Watkins, 38 of 60 jurors said they'd seen or read something about the case...

jbcarol

Tony Gonzalez @TGonzalez  ·  Nov 3

The @Tennessean guide to the Vanderbilt rape trial: http://tnne.ws/1wT9nkT  Follow @sbarchenger for real-time coverage.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

Vanderbilt rape trial delayed until January | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/DO0jN

QuoteThe rape trial of two former Vanderbilt football players, which was set to begin this week, has been postponed until January to allow for the shoulder surgery of one of the defense attorneys, according to the Tennessean's Stacey Barchenger.

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  44 minutes ago

Attorney says he's embarrassed a yard work injury delayed trial, but case will continue at full steam. #vandytrial

Judge says delay will allow further screening of experts. Tentative date is January. #vandytrial

vandybuff

Quote from: jbcarol on November 04, 2014, 10:22:08 am
AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

Vanderbilt rape trial delayed until January | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/DO0jN

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  ·  44 minutes ago

Attorney says he's embarrassed a yard work injury delayed trial, but case will continue at full steam. #vandytrial

Judge says delay will allow further screening of experts. Tentative date is January. #vandytrial

Let's look at this closely!

1.  An attorney doing yard work? 
2.  An attorney allowing surgery on his 'arm', preventing him from "windmilling' at every op during presentation?
3.  And finally but most telling, an attorney detecting and acknowledging the sense of "embarrassment".

Conclusion:  this guy is an impostor!!!!!  :)

jbcarol

Quote from: vandybuff on November 04, 2014, 11:01:28 am
Let's look at this closely!

1.  An attorney doing yard work? 
2.  An attorney allowing surgery on his 'arm', preventing him from "windmilling' at every op during presentation?
3.  And finally but most telling, an attorney detecting and acknowledging the sense of "embarrassment".

Conclusion:  this guy is an impostor!!!!!  :)

He's running the "four corners defense".

vandybuff

jbcarol

Stacey Barchenger @sbarchenger  · 

Steef

Embarrassed? A defense attorney? Really?