Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will we replace Dusty, Manny and Moses? Another classic Jumpball freakout.

Started by FineAsSwine, December 09, 2017, 09:09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

There was plenty of concern, in the preseason about how the Hogs would replace the fiery defensive scrappiness of Manny Watkins; the outside shooting and crafty scoring of Dusty Hannahs and the inside presence of Moses Kingsley, not to mention the vacuum left in leadership when those three veteran players used up their eligibility last season.

CMA has done it again, just like he did when Bobby and Michael left early and Ky, and Alandise were seniors. Once again, we fretted about where the scoring was going to come from? Who was going to step up and replace Bobby down low? That's when Moses, Dusty and Anthlon answered the bell.

Now, in the middle of what is shaping up to be a great season, a few fears about what will happen when this group of seniors leaves is already starting. I get it. Being a Hog fan means always waiting for the other shoe to drop. No matter how good it is, something bad is lurking around the corner. Call it the Silver Lining Paybook sans the silver lining.

We got a really good looking team that is playing well right now. Gafford is playing so well that every great play reminds me that he may be moving on soon. But instead of succumbing to the fear of losing the big guy, I am rooting for him to be a lottery pick (in one or two years) so that our early loss may become a huge gain for the program in the future for years to come in recruiting more big men of his caliber.

If Gafford leaves this year, we go to the NIT next year. If he comes back, we're back in the NCAA's. Book it. CMA is gonna have 'em ready!

Hogs up! Covid down!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 09, 2017, 09:09:40 pm
There was plenty of concern, in the preseason about how the Hogs would replace the fiery defensive scrappiness of Manny Watkins; the outside shooting and crafty scoring of Dusty Hannahs and the inside presence of Moses Kingsley, not to mention the vacuum left in leadership when those three veteran players used up their eligibility last season.

CMA has done it again, just like he did when Bobby and Michael left early and Ky, and Alandise were seniors. Once again, we fretted about where the scoring was going to come from? Who was going to step up and replace Bobby down low? That's when Moses, Dusty and Anthlon answered the bell.

Now, in the middle of what is shaping up to be a great season, a few fears about what will happen when this group of seniors leaves is already starting. I get it. Being a Hog fan means always waiting for the other shoe to drop. No matter how good it is, something bad is lurking around the corner. Call it the Silver Cloud Paybook sans the silver lining.

We got a really good looking team that is playing well right now. Gafford is playing so well that every great play reminds me that he may be moving on soon. But instead of succumbing to the fear of losing the big guy, I am rooting for him to be a lottery pick (in one or two years) so that our early loss may become a huge gain for the program in the future for years to come in recruiting more big men of his caliber.

If Gafford leaves this year, we go to the NIT next year. If he comes back, we're back in the NCAA's. Book it. CMA is gonna have 'em ready!
got Jones, Bailey, Hall, Garland hopefully, Gabe, and then the upcoming really good class which some are almost more  highly recruited that Gafford I believe, if Gafford leaves then we bring in a big man from Graduate senior from somewhere
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hogwood

Next season's starting lineup already has me excited. This is what I see:

Gafford
Bailey
Hall
Jones
Harris (or Garland if cleared)

Henderson
Chaney
Phillips
Joe
Embery
Osabuohien
Sills

Looks pretty skilled to me. Bench will all be freshmen save Gabe O. We'll lack experience for sure but not talent. Gafford, Jones, Garland (if he plays), maybe even Hall could all have double digit scoring averages.

I hope Gafford comes back for one more year!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hogwood on December 09, 2017, 10:51:55 pm

Gafford
Bailey
Hall
Jones

Henderson
Chaney
Phillips
Joe
Embery
Osabuohien
Sills

Looks pretty skilled to me. Bench will all be freshmen save Gabe O. We'll lack experience for sure but not talent. Gafford, Jones, Garland (if he plays), maybe even Hall could all have double digit scoring averages.

Yes it has got me really excited as well!  I am not sure if we will be as good next year (we may be though), but we will definitely be more athletic all the way around if Garland and Gafford are playing for us.
SCREW Vandy!

jchill

If Gafford comes back we'll be better. Unfortunately, I  can't see him returning.

Pinto

Too many bigs in the draft next year. Good possibility he'll return after he puts his name in the draft

ShadowHawg

I think Gafford comes back.

Also, in college basketball you don't simply exchange players from year to year. No one needed to replace Dusty or Mo.

The makeup of this team is completely different. It's more athletic, it's longer on the perimeter, better rebounding, more shooters, etc

Returning players have gotten better. Barford is shooting over 40% from 3 up from 26% last season. The 4 spot on this team is much improved.

There was never a need to replace those guys because this team is completely different.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 09, 2017, 09:09:40 pm

Now, in the middle of what is shaping up to be a great season, a few fears about what will happen when this group of seniors leaves is already starting. I get it. Being a Hog fan means always waiting for the other shoe to drop. No matter how good it is, something bad is lurking around the corner. Call it the Silver Lining Paybook sans the silver lining.

It's like people don't understand that attrition happens EVERY year to EVERY team.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogwood on December 09, 2017, 10:51:55 pm

Gafford
Bailey
Hall
Jones

Henderson
Chaney
Phillips
Joe
Embery
Osabuohien
Sills

I think next year is a challenge because of lack of guards.. losing all 3 with only CJ having experience, Harris has been practicing which will help but it's not the same.. Garland getting some experience would be large, imo... if Gafford leaves, it could be a complete rebuilding year... enjoy this year, next year could be down.. I have faith in Mike, he'll put a team together, ti just maybe a step back for a year.

Cinco de Hogo

If Gafford goes early why wouldn't another Big be excited to step into those minutes?  Recruiting!  It's getting really good.

Pinto

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 10, 2017, 06:37:17 am
I think next year is a challenge because of lack of guards.. losing all 3 with only CJ having experience, Harris has been practicing which will help but it's not the same.. Garland getting some experience would be large, imo... if Gafford leaves, it could be a complete rebuilding year... enjoy this year, next year could be down.. I have faith in Mike, he'll put a team together, ti just maybe a step back for a year.

I think we aren't going to be as bad as people think next year with the loss of the guards. I think we will have better ball movement and teamwork. Jalen Harris isn't a ball stopper like Macon and Barford are. I'm predicting CJ to have a breakout year next year. And Keyshawn will come being better than Anton is. Next years team may not be better but they will be more exciting...

gmarv

Quote from: Pinto on December 10, 2017, 06:51:48 am
I think we aren't going to be as bad as people think next year with the loss of the guards. I think we will have better ball movement and teamwork. Jalen Harris isn't a ball stopper like Macon and Barford are. I'm predicting CJ to have a breakout year next year. And Keyshawn will come being better than Anton is. Next years team may not be better but they will be more exciting...
I,m with you how good does depend on if Gafford comes back or not?If Gafford comes back we could be very good and if he doesn,t we will still be a ncaa tourney team.

Pinto

Quote from: gmarv on December 10, 2017, 08:45:54 am
I,m with you how good does depend on if Gafford comes back or not?If Gafford comes back we could be very good and if he doesn,t we will still be a ncaa tourney team.

Idk if we'll be a tourney team without him

jchill

Mike has done a great job of bringing along players. I think the down years (.500 ball or lower) are over for a while. The year he went 16-16, he had some bad breaks with transfers, recruit(s) not qualifying, and early departures to pro ball. I hope some of the young guys that are not playing a lot will see that if you work hard and stay patient, they can make an impact like Manny, Moses, and Dusty. Now, look at Thompson, Bailey, and Jones, they are better this year. It appears that Thomas and Cook have improved. I really hate that Hazen kid transferred. I really liked him. I think we are in good hands with this coaching staff for years to come.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jchill on December 10, 2017, 11:12:42 am
Mike has done a great job of bringing along players. I think the down years (.500 ball or lower) are over for a while. The year he went 16-16, he had some bad breaks with transfers, recruit(s) not qualifying, and early departures to pro ball. I hope some of the young guys that are not playing a lot will see that if you work hard and stay patient, they can make an impact like Manny, Moses, and Dusty. Now, look at Thompson, Bailey, and Jones, they are better this year. It appears that Thomas and Cook have improved. I really hate that Hazen kid transferred. I really liked him. I think we are in good hands with this coaching staff for years to come.

I felt the same way when Hazen left but, watching Gabe, I think we upgraded there.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 10, 2017, 11:30:45 am
I felt the same way when Hazen left but, watching Gabe, I think we upgraded there.
Gafford plays the 5 like it should be played, Kingsley always wanted to be a 4 and played that way
The long Grey line will never fail our country.