Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are still an 8 seed in CBS bracketology

Started by checkraiser88, February 21, 2018, 07:20:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

BannerMountainMan

Yeah that's what happens when you win 7 of 10 in the 2nd best conference in the NCAA
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

sickboy

Yeah, and Kentucky is full of talented players. People were acting like they were LSU. You guys realize they have EIGHT 5 star players and FOUR 4 star players on their roster. Think about that talent.

When those guys are playing well, they are going to destroy even good teams.

Everyone knows that was a good team we lost to. Doesn't make us a bad team.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogsonHicks

razorpimp

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 07:27:54 pm
Yeah, and Kentucky is full of talented players. People were acting like they were LSU. You guys realize they have EIGHT 5 star players and FOUR 4 star players on their roster. Think about that talent.

Your right!  That's why they beat South Carolina and Mizzou....

rude1

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 07:27:54 pm

Loss by 11 @ Tn., Loss by 8 @ SC., Loss by 2 @ home to Fl., Loss by 9 @ Mo., Loss by 2 @ home to Tn., Loss by 11 @ aTm, Loss by 10 @ Auburn. Only 2 conference road wins for them us and Vandy. Yeah I would definitely say that was one of the premier teams in the nation that just handed it to us at home, I mean they have almost made a habit of throttling teams on the road in conference.

razorback1829

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 07:52:33 pm
Loss by 11 @ Tn., Loss by 8 @ SC., Loss by 2 @ home to Fl., Loss by 9 @ Mo., Loss by 2 @ home to Tn., Loss by 11 @ aTm, Loss by 10 @ Auburn. Only 2 conference road wins for them us and Vandy. Yeah I would definitely say that was one of the premier teams in the nation that just handed it to us at home, I mean they have almost made a habit of throttling teams on the road in conference.

So you think they'll win their final road game/games?

Letsroll1200

Oklahoma State just beat a Texas Tech team coached by the greatest coach in the world, Chris Beard. Should help the Hogs!

rude1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 08:08:24 pm
So you think they'll win their final road game/games?
They have one more @ Fl., already lost to them at home. Don't expect them to win that one either. Would greatly enhance their odds of they could play us again on the road, even Vandy had them on the brink @ Vandy before they pulled it out. We are the only team in the conference they have found they could man handle on the road.

Davidr295

hobhog

Outside looking in with a senior laden team and NBA center. Yea!

razorback1829

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 21, 2018, 08:15:43 pm
Oklahoma State just beat a Texas Tech team coached by the greatest coach in the world, Chris Beard. Should help the Hogs!

No way.. clearly not the savior Chris Beard idolized on this board right??

hobhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 09:14:17 pm
No way.. clearly not the savior Chris Beard idolized on this board right??

The coach that has a perennial loser in the top 10?

We need to make him say no at least 3 times. Refreshing change of pace that's for sure.

sickboy

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 07:52:33 pm

It's weird, you know. It's almost like a season is months and months long. In this weird scenario where the season lasts for months and months at a time, it's even crazier to think that a team can... I don't know, progress over a period of weeks. Do you think, maybe, just maybe, a team full of five star players could finally "click" and play up to their potential? I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just watch the games. The Kentucky team that showed up to Bud Walton was a good team. It'll be interesting to see where they end up at the end of the year.

razorback1829

Quote from: hobhog on February 21, 2018, 09:17:35 pm
The coach that has a perennial loser in the top 10?

We need to make him say no at least 3 times. Refreshing change of pace that's for sure.

Second year and not even all his own players. Why do y'all idolize him so much? If Pel had MA's record at UA  would be shouting from the rafters in praise. That's the truth.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:30:37 pm
Second year and not even all his own players. Why do y'all idolize him so much? If Pel had MA's record at UA  would be shouting from the rafters in praise. That's the truth.

Tubby left some good players.

razorback1829

swine o mine

razrbakr1

I knew it a couple of months ago when it became obvious that Beard had Texas Tech (of all people) playing at a high level.  I knew that our little group of Anderson apologists would turn to bashing Coach Beard and besmirching his accomplishments when his name would come up with Razorback implications.  It was too easy to expect that, that is what a simple minded person does when there is nothing else.  Well, let's play their game.  Let's turn the situation they want to use around.  If it had been Mike Anderson who took the Tech job the same time Beard did, would he have them where Beard has them now?  Using all that great left-over  talent from Tubby would he still be exactly where Tech is now?  Somehow, I really, really doubt it.  But for arguments sake, let's say Anderson would have Tech at the same level today, using all of Tubby's good left-over players. Then it's obvious that Anderson's problem is that he can't recruit at the level of Tubby at Tech.  Either way, we are stuck with a lessor coach than the one you guys choose to attack.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 10:30:37 pm
If Pel had MA's record at UA  would be shouting from the rafters in praise. That's the truth.

This right here is crap.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

rude1

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 10:13:42 pm
It's weird, you know. It's almost like a season is months and months long. In this weird scenario where the season lasts for months and months at a time, it's even crazier to think that a team can... I don't know, progress over a period of weeks. Do you think, maybe, just maybe, a team full of five star players could finally "click" and play up to their potential? I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just watch the games. The Kentucky team that showed up to Bud Walton was a good team. It'll be interesting to see where they end up at the end of the year.
Yeah and it is even more uncanny how teams seem to get well by us showing up on their schedule, we just always seem to get caught at the wrong time, just when a team is ready to explode to their potential.................

razorback1829

Quote from: razrbakr1 on February 22, 2018, 04:35:43 am
I knew it a couple of months ago when it became obvious that Beard had Texas Tech (of all people) playing at a high level.  I knew that our little group of Anderson apologists would turn to bashing Coach Beard and besmirching his accomplishments when his name would come up with Razorback implications.  It was too easy to expect that, that is what a simple minded person does when there is nothing else.  Well, let's play their game.  Let's turn the situation they want to use around.  If it had been Mike Anderson who took the Tech job the same time Beard did, would he have them where Beard has them now?  Using all that great left-over  talent from Tubby would he still be exactly where Tech is now?  Somehow, I really, really doubt it.  But for arguments sake, let's say Anderson would have Tech at the same level today, using all of Tubby's good left-over players. Then it's obvious that Anderson's problem is that he can't recruit at the level of Tubby at Tech.  Either way, we are stuck with a lessor coach than the one you guys choose to attack.

You come to the aid of the Texas Tech coach when people point out the truth, yet get on here and kill our coach with the same arguments. You're a terrible fan. Go root for Texas Tech clown.

razorback1829

steveaustin69

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 08:18:49 am
Standing for a mediocre coach is an interesting hill to choose to die on.

They do not defend Mike because of his coaching abilities.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 08:18:49 am
Standing for a mediocre coach is an interesting hill to choose to die on.

3 of 4 years in NCAA tournament is mediocre.. I want some what you're smokin! Lol you know nothing about this game. Probably never played.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 08:41:52 am
3 of 4 years in NCAA tournament is mediocre.. I want some what you're smokin! Lol you know nothing about this game. Probably never played.

I would have sworn this is Mike's SEVENTH season, not his 4th.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 08:43:55 am
I would have sworn this is Mike's SEVENTH season, not his 4th.

3rd in 7th season, 3 out of the last 4 years... both true. Still solid considering the first 2/3 years cleaning up the dumpster fire it was. And it was a dumpster fire, that's straight from the staff (so save your arguement). Still 3 out of the last 4 is prettt solid considering we had the worst offseason a program could have only to bounce back and go to back to back tournaments. lol I know you probably never wanted MA, but damn give me some of what you're smoking please!

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 08:41:52 am

Ok, bud. What do you think is so good about Mike's defensive approach? The constant switching leads to missmatches and blow bys where Gafford has to help to protect the rim. This penetration usually leads to a kickout three, a layup or a putback because our rim protectors are now not in a position to rebound.  In the case of a kickout the team does not close out at even a high school level. They are always late.

A simple hesitation or slow crossover leads to deep penetration against this team. They are incredibly slow to open their hips and block the opponent's path.

All of these issues are coaching.

If you watch this team play defense, and are fine with their poor fundamentals and the scheme then you probably never played.

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 09:06:23 am
Ok, bud. What do you think is so good about Mike's defensive approach? The constant switching leads to missmatches and blow bys where Gafford has to help to protect the rim. This penetration usually leads to a kickout three, a layup or a putback because our rim protectors are now not in a position to rebound.  In the case of a kickout the team does not close out at even a high school level. They are always late.

A simple hesitation or slow crossover leads to deep penetration against this team. They are incredibly slow to open their hips and block the opponent's path.

All of these issues are coaching.

If you watch this team play defense, and are fine with their poor fundamentals and the scheme then you probably never played.

Guess nobody else has players. Lol you sit on your couch and coach, say it like it's so easy when you've never been the man in the arena. You've probably never even seen these guys practice and how hard they work on those details. You know nothing. So keep couch coaching.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:03:22 am
3rd in 7th season, 3 out of the last 4 years... both true. Still solid considering the first 2/3 years cleaning up the dumpster fire it was. And it was a dumpster fire, that's straight from the staff (so save your arguement). Still 3 out of the last 4 is prettt solid considering we had the worst offseason a program could have only to bounce back and go to back to back tournaments. lol I know you probably never wanted MA, but damn give me some of what you're smoking please!

Everyone wants to claim the new guy inherited a dumpster fire. Why was Heath fired after 2 NCAAT's in a row after inheriting the mess left in the wake of Nolan being fired and the ensuing lawsuit? Why were none of you defending him?

No, I did not want Mike because of what we have seen transpire. Average, at best, results, for way above average pay, but more importantly no real way to get rid of him until he is ready to go.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:14:28 am
Guess nobody else has players. Lol you sit on your couch and coach, say it like it's so easy when you've never been the man in the arena. You've probably never even seen these guys practice and how hard they work on those details. You know nothing. So keep couch coaching.

Couldn't refute what was said so you just act like the poster knows nothing. Classic.

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:14:28 am

So now he does all he can to coach the fundamentals and our players just aren't good enough? In year 7, not having the players is on the coach.

As I've said you can still think Mike is the guy for the job, and recognize there are some alarming flaws in his system which he is ridiculously reluctant to make adjustments to.

But by all means keep putting your head in the dirt and digging that hole.

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 09:17:22 am
Everyone wants to claim the new guy inherited a dumpster fire. Why was Heath fired after 2 NCAAT's in a row after inheriting the mess left in the wake of Nolan being fired and the ensuing lawsuit? Why were none of you defending him?

No, I did not want Mike because of what we have seen transpire. Average, at best, results, for way above average pay, but more importantly no real way to get rid of him until he is ready to go.

Nolans program was in a MUCH more stable place with people still coming to games. Academics weren't killing us, and he left some holdover players worth a damn. Come on dude, don't do this to yourself. You're trying so hard lol

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 09:18:55 am
So now he does all he can to coach the fundamentals and our players just aren't good enough? In year 7, not having the players is on the coach.

As I've said you can still think Mike is the guy for the job, and recognize there are some alarming flaws in his system which he is ridiculously reluctant to make adjustments to.

But by all means keep putting your head in the dirt and digging that hole.

Haha that's what I thought. Stay on that couch my man. As I said, you know nothing. Just here to whine.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 09:18:49 am
Couldn't refute what was said so you just act like the poster knows nothing. Classic.

Yep.

"What do you think is so good about Mike's defense?"

"Well. He tries hard. He runs 'em hard in practice."

NoogaHog

These bracketologists don't understand how this works. If they are pegging UNC as a 3 seed, that means we would have to be either a 6 or 11.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:21:09 am
Haha that's what I thought. Stay on that couch my man. As I said, you know nothing. Just here to whine.

What do you think is so good about Mike's defensive approach? The constant switching leads to missmatches and blow bys where Gafford has to help to protect the rim. This penetration usually leads to a kickout three, a layup or a putback because our rim protectors are now not in a position to rebound.  In the case of a kickout the team does not close out at even a high school level. They are always late.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 09:21:17 am
Yep.

We all know what people that like Mike actually like about him, and it has nothing to do with on court results.

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 09:21:17 am
Yep.

I know he's won more games than you have, so when it comes to running a program and a team, praise God he's the coach and not y'all Lmao

razorback1829

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 09:26:55 am
We all know what people that like Mike actually like about him, and it has nothing to do with on court results.

NCAA tournament 3 out of the last 4 years. On court results, no?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:19:42 am
Nolans program was in a MUCH more stable place with people still coming to games. Academics weren't killing us, and he left some holdover players worth a damn. Come on dude, don't do this to yourself. You're trying so hard lol

Modica Fr.
Satchell
Gomez
Sullivan
Baker
Jones
Mukubu
Lane
Blake Eddins

Heath had to scramble to get Ferguson and Davis in the late period.

How many other IDs do you have here?  Go missing for 2.5 years and now an everyday defender again. 

And where is Youngsta?  Haven't seen a post from that ID since December?  Guess felt the need to change it up again. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:27:39 am
I know he's won more games than you have, so when it comes to running a program and a team, praise God he's the coach and not y'all Lmao

What do you think is so good about Mike's defensive approach? The constant switching leads to missmatches and blow bys where Gafford has to help to protect the rim. This penetration usually leads to a kickout three, a layup or a putback because our rim protectors are now not in a position to rebound.  In the case of a kickout the team does not close out at even a high school level. They are always late.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 21, 2018, 08:35:18 pm
Don't bring facts into this  ;)

They didn't notice nor care it hasn't been updated since our loss. 

razorback1829

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 22, 2018, 09:31:41 am
Modica Fr.
Satchell
Gomez
Sullivan
Baker
Jones
Mukubu
Lane
Blake Eddins

Heath had to scramble to get Ferguson and Davis in the late period.

How many other IDs do you have here?  Go missing for 2.5 years and now an everyday defender again. 

And where is Youngsta?  Haven't seen a post from that ID since December?  Guess felt the need to change it up again.

lol I don't know who youngsta, but Waithe, Sanchez, Wade, Nobles, Powell(tore ACL), Abron and Ricky freakin Scott. BJ young, never really got anything out of that mess, and Ky Madden who who was suspended half his career.

Yea tell me what you would rather of had. I know Nolans guys weren't so bad out of shape they could actually finish the first summer practice workout.

Yea tell me what you really know about Mikes program. Clown.

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 22, 2018, 09:32:09 am

How many different defenses were used against Kentucky. News flash dummy, none of them worked. You can only do so much, but your players have to make plays. And ours have most of the season. We're gonna be dancing this year and you'll still be bitchin about defensive fundamentals.

His defensive principles are fine. I know what he teaches, and sometimes players are gonna play and take risks. Sometimes you're gonna take chances as a coach. Nothing you would know about though. You coach from the couch.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Atlhogfan1

Academics weren't killing us when Mike got the job.  APR improvement had already started.  It did prevent Mike from clearing roster space.  But with how he recruited early on, wouldn't have made a difference.

In Murray Bartow's 6 seasons at UAB, they averaged 17 wins a season.  His last team won 13.

In Quin Snyder's 7 seasons at Mizzou, they avg 19.7 wins a season.  Over the last 3, 14.7.  In November 2004, Mizzou was placed on 3 years probation.  Snyder resigned in 2006 with a 10-11 record and Mizzzou finished 12-16.

Both programs heading the wrong direction.

In Pelphrey's 4 season at Arkansas, he avg 17.25 wins a season.  15.3 over the last 3 with 18 wins the season he was fired.  It was certainly a rebuilding job left behind.  But in at least no worse shape than UAB or Mizzou.  Being generous to even say it was as bad as UAB or Mizzou. 

Mike inherited a team who had won 13 games at UAB, 12 at Mizzou and 18 at Arkansas. 

Sure he had things to do at Arkansas to rebuild the program.  But if he wasn't up to it, he shouldn't have taken the job and we shouldn't have hired him. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 22, 2018, 09:44:04 am
How many different defenses were used against Kentucky. News flash dummy, none of them worked. You can only do so much, but your players have to make plays. And ours have most of the season. We're gonna be dancing this year and you'll still be bitchin about defensive fundamentals.

His defensive principles are fine. I know what he teaches, and sometimes players are gonna play and take risks. Sometimes you're gonna take chances as a coach. Nothing you would know about though. You coach from the couch.

We've given up blow bys and open threes for 7 years. I don't think a defense that consistently allows high percentage looks is "fine."  The adjustment for these mistakes is not difficult. They are simply not made.  Don't you think we'd win some more games if that didn't happen?

Forget about the defense; let's harp on something else wrong with Mike's coaching related to fundamentals.  We rank 250th in the nation in rebounding margin. Have you ever seen this team or any of his teams consistently find a man and actually box out when a shot goes up? Don't you think we'd have another road win at MSU if we didn't give up offensive rebound after offensive rebound?