Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema has Two Problems in Year 5 he Can't Overcome

Started by WilsonHog, September 25, 2017, 12:55:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

(1) His coaching staff. Consider this:

Dan Enos - HC, Central Michigan. Previous stops: Michigan St. & Cincinnati.

Kurt Anderson - Asst. OL coach, Buffalo (NFL); Previous stops: Eastern Michigan.

Barry Lunney, Jr. - OC, Bentonville HS. Previous stops: San Jose St. & Tulsa.

Reggie Mitchell - RB coach, Kansas. Previous stops: Illinois, Minnesota, & Michigan St.

Michael Smith - WR coach, Kansas State. Previous stops: Arizona & Rice.

Paul Rhoads - HC, Iowa St.

Vernon Hargreaves - LB coach, Houston. Previous stops: South Florida & East Carolina.

John Scott - Asst. D-Line coach NY Jets. Previous stops: Texas Tech & Ga. Southern.

Chad Walker - Def. Asst., Atlanta Falcons. Previous stops: Oklahoma and Mississippi College.

Nine assistant coaches (and one head coach) who have a combined total of three year's of experience in the SEC. Rhoads was the DC at Auburn in 2008. Lunney was a GA for us in 1998. Walker was a defensive assistant in LSU in 2003.

That look like an SEC-caliber coaching staff?

(2) Bielema and Enos are a marriage of inconvenience. Bielema is a power-run guy. His philosophy has been to base his offense around player development in the offensive line and outstanding running bucks. Remember his first couple of years? We were going to run it right at people, especially when we had a lead in the 4th quarter. Win the time of possession battle and wear our opponents down. Enos comes in with more of a spread mindset, except we really aren't doing that either. As a result of being caught between styles, we have an offensive line that is a mess.

Now, I guess you could fix the second problem by showing Enos the door, but that means starting over...and with what style? Whose philosophy?

sickboy

This is a good point. Though, I'd be interested to see what other SEC programs look like on this front.

twistitup

Good post Wilson. I agree about coaching situation -
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogcard1964

Don't like Rhoads at all but I do like Enos.  I think he's trying to implement his plan, but is being handcuffed by a Big 10 coach, that wants a ball control type of team.  I do think we need to cram it by running it, but that field has to be stretched also.

The 3-4 is just not going to work with this squad.  Rhoads has to go.  He was a horrible hire.

I hope Enos stays after Bert is booted.

twistitup

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2017, 01:03:17 pm
Don't like Rhoads at all but I do like Enos.  I think he's trying to implement his plan, but is being handcuffed by a Big 10 coach, that wants a ball control type of team.  I do think we need to cram it by running it, but that field has to be stretched also.

The 3-4 is just not going to work with this squad.  Rhoads has to go.  He was a horrible hire.

Why you pull for a guy who failed at Cent. Mich is beyond me.....he is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Let the new coach choose his own OC

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 25, 2017, 12:55:12 pm

Kurt Anderson - Asst. OL coach, Buffalo (NFL); Previous stops: Eastern Michigan.
Reggie Mitchell - RB coach, Kansas. Previous stops: Illinois, Minnesota, & Michigan St.

Vernon Hargreaves - LB coach, Houston. Previous stops: South Florida & East Carolina.
John Scott - Asst. D-Line coach NY Jets. Previous stops: Texas Tech & Ga. Southern.
Chad Walker - Def. Asst., Atlanta Falcons. Previous stops: Oklahoma and Mississippi College.

Nine assistant coaches who have a combined total of three year's of experience in the SEC. Rhoads was the DC at Auburn in 2008. Lunney was a GA for us in 1998. Walker was a defensive assistant in LSU in 2003.

(2) Bielema and Enos are a marriage of inconvenience. Bielema is a power-run guy. His philosophy has been to base his offense around player development in the offensive line and outstanding running bucks. Remember his first couple of years? We were going to run it right at people, especially when we had a lead in the 4th quarter. Win the time of possession battle and wear our opponents down. Enos comes in with more of a spread mindset, except we really aren't doing that either. As a result of being caught between styles, we have an offensive line that is a mess.

Now, I guess you could fix the second problem by showing Enos the door, but that means starting over...and with what style? Whose philosophy?

Chaney was a spread OC, or at least not smash mouth. What Bielema saw in those two years was he couldn't line up and smash mouth Bama, Auburn, or LSU with any consistency. Now exactly why Chaney was pushed out, I don't know. He got Enos to run a little more open offense while hoping to retain some smash mouth plays, unfortunately, either due to Pittman leaving or Enos' style, we've really struggled with that. I don't think Anderson was a good hire, but I don't know what all the "true" options were. It's like not hiring Partridge back, great recruiter and obviously a good enough d-line coach, but had their friendship spoiled? Supposedly they still take fishing trips, so??

Agent S

Nine assistant coaches (and one head coach) who have a combined total of three year's of experience in the SEC. Rhoads was the DC at Auburn in 2008. Lunney was a GA for us in 1998. Walker was a defensive assistant in LSU in 2003.

Your 1st sentence on #2 says it all.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2017, 01:03:17 pm

Now that's an interesting take. I am curious as to why you do not like CPR. Was the 4-3 working pretty well for you? I'm going to step out on a limb and say that you don't know the difference.

sickboy

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 25, 2017, 01:09:47 pm
Now that's an interesting take. I am curious as to why you do not like CPR. Was the 4-3 working pretty well for you? I'm going to step out on a limb and say that you don't know the difference.

Welcome to Hogville. Most people don't even realize we're running a hybrid 3-4. They wouldn't even know what that looked like.

poloprince

Randy Shannon wasn't good enough for def coordinator though..... ???
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogcard1964

Yep I do know the difference as well as why it's a bad fit for this current team.

...I shouldn't say "I don't like him" (Rhoads).  It's just that I've always wondered why someone with such mediocre success was so clamored over?  I don't think he's ever done much that was overly impressive.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: poloprince on September 25, 2017, 01:20:48 pm
Randy Shannon wasn't good enough for def coordinator though..... ???

Yes I am still puzzled by that move.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorfox

I thought when Enos was hired, it was supposed to be the perfect marriage?  I thought there were posts and articles all over the place that said Enos was all about using 2 TEs, power formations, etc.  But that he would also be able to more effectively pass out of them too.  What happened to all that?

LA Football fan

The only two problems I see that Bret cannot overcome is the fact in 5 years he hasn't recruited one player that can kickoff regularly into the back of the end zone or out of it.  Bret and his staff have had more than enough time to find someone in 5 years to fulfill that role.  Until he takes kickoffs seriously, he will always be at the mercy of the team we are playing that has the opportunity to run back most every kickoff while we start on the 25 everytime in SEC play. 

The other drawback is not recruiting some safeties that can actually tackle in space and prevent big plays.  The reason you give up big play after big play is because your safeties aren't protecting the back end of your defense.  I don't want to hear about how tough it is to recruit because I have seen us play numerous FCS teams that have better safety play than we do.  You would think a light would come on and this staff would get serious about recruiting some bruisers back there that aren't afraid to come up and lay the wood to somebody or some speedsters that at least can keep everything in front of them.

ricepig

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2017, 01:35:33 pm
"Coach" Chad Walker doesn't think enough of us to take down his OU Sooner Twitter for when he was assistant to the assistants there a few years ago (among his other assistant to the assistant jobs)

https://twitter.com/ou_coachwalker

I suspect he has no idea how to take it down, lol.

@CoachWalker_UA

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Are you trying to get sympathy and passing the blame for a situation that is 100% his creation?
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WilsonHog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 25, 2017, 01:43:58 pm
Are you trying to get sympathy and passing the blame for a situation that is 100% his creation?

No.

ThisTeetsTaken

In my opinion it's Anderson that needs to go not Enos.  IMO Enos is the best assistant coach we have.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Kevin

I like rhoads & enos.
our db's have gotten better, and our tackling is so much better.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

Quote from: Kevin on September 25, 2017, 02:38:00 pm
I like rhoads & enos.
our db's have gotten better, and our tackling is so much better.

Our qb has not gotten better...why the love for Enos?

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on September 25, 2017, 01:12:16 pm
Welcome to Hogville. Most people don't even realize we're running a hybrid 3-4. They wouldn't even know what that looked like.

I truly would like to see most of these coaching gurus on here ( outside of the two or three that are/were actual HS coaches ) coach football at any level. I imagine it would be comical.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BigBrandonAllenFan

September 25, 2017, 02:40:10 pm #23 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:28:45 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
A run run run coach should be using the old fashioned triple option.

Kevin

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 02:39:46 pm

he did a great job with ba. the line problems, imo, has stunted aa's growth.
I wonder if the offense Saturday is more in line with enos, than cbb
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dhizzle

I swear the offense scored 43 points what more do you want? Yes the offensive line is not great but they helped put 43 points on the board. Will someone start a thread on the defense about how they had 7 bust 4 of them went for 220 and sum odd yards and 24 points. Maybe teach the Tight Ends to stay in bounds when catching a touch down throw. 

Hoginsavga

Yep, the wrong mixture of assistants and coordinators is definitely the problem. The same was true for the 2013 season when CBB has the best staff assembled ever at AR, according to Hogville. And then comes 2014, 2015 and 2016 when it became further obvious that upgrades were needed over and over. Maybe if CBB continues to replace assistants and coordinators he may find the right combination in 10 or 15 more years. We have the time and patience for that, don't we?

A lot of fans are now placing a lot of blame on Anderson and they could be right. But, at the same time when CBB finally got in the face of his offensive linemen around the beginning of the fourth quarter there was a dramatic change in the protection AA had in the pocket.

My point is maybe it's not so much the assistants and coordinators as it is the lack of in game coaching by the head coach. Players look up to the head coach as the ultimate word on their performance. This doesn't mean the HC undercuts his staff but does stay involved during the game with face to face contact with the coaches and players. If an assistant or coordinator is offended by this then he is in the wrong job. It's the head coach that has his job on the line.

hogsanity

Quote from: dhizzle on September 25, 2017, 02:51:11 pm
I swear the offense scored 43 points what more do you want? Yes the offensive line is not great but they helped put 43 points on the board. Will someone start a thread on the defense about how they had 7 bust 4 of them went for 220 and sum odd yards and 24 points. Maybe teach the Tight Ends to stay in bounds when catching a touch down throw. 

People here, fans in general it seems, never want to talk about defense. Score 43 against a team starting a Fr at qb and you should win by 14 or more. But Hog fans have spent 2 days now whining about AA or the walkon Olman, or the kicker not kicking into the EZ. The same defender that had tow busts last year against A&M on long plays had 2 this year on long plays.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Its a fact that if you cannot win with 43 points, you want win many ballgames

GoHogs1091

Anderson, Rhoads, and Hargreaves need to be replaced.

There is a reason why Anderson was the Assistant to the main Coach of a position group in the garbage NFL.

All you need to know about Rhoads is that his 3-4 Defense did not work at Iowa State against lesser talent in an easier conference.

So, all of the sudden Rhoads' 3-4 Defense is now supposed to work against better talent in a more difficult conference?

The Razorback Linebackers under Hargreaves' coaching have not shown acceptable fundamentals.

IronHog

If Long had any sense at all he would have strongly suggested BB keep Tim Horton on staff....

I know politics.....but that hurt IMO.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 03:36:10 pm
People here, fans in general it seems, never want to talk about defense. Score 43 against a team starting a Fr at qb and you should win by 14 or more. But Hog fans have spent 2 days now whining about AA or the walkon Olman, or the kicker not kicking into the EZ. The same defender that had tow busts last year against A&M on long plays had 2 this year on long plays.

Stuck in the past poster is stuck

IronHog

I know the difference

When you have 0 linebackers going to 4 from 3 is the wrong direction.

4-2-5

jst01

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 03:36:10 pm

Agree defense is our biggest issue. I went and looked at the list of Hogs in the NFL and I think there was around 6 defensive players on the list compared to approx 30 offensive guys. Summary is we haven't had defensive playmakers very often and 3 of the D guys on that list played together here couple years ago

DoctorSusscrofa

This thread very clearly shows that the problem is either BB and Enos, BB and Rhoades, BB and lack of Shannon, BB and the lack of Pittman, Hargreaves, Rhoades but not Enos, Enos but not Rhoades, or some other individual or group of individuals.  The clarity and precision of the criticism in the thread is clear beyond crystal.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

IronHog

Quote from: jst01 on September 25, 2017, 04:57:51 pm
Agree defense is our biggest issue. I went and looked at the list of Hogs in the NFL and I think there was around 6 defensive players on the list compared to approx 30 offensive guys. Summary is we haven't had defensive playmakers very often and 3 of the D guys on that list played together here couple years ago

Defense turn the ball over 5 times in 23 plays in the bowl game?

I've yet to see a BB team that all three phases stay on track consistently

moses_007

He needs to let Enos convert the offense to the spread, and let him call ALL of the plays.  That way, CBB could continue to look dumfounded on the sideline.

swineology

Quote from: IronHog on September 25, 2017, 05:00:31 pm
Defense turn the ball over 5 times in 23 plays in the bowl game?

I've yet to see a BB team that all three phases stay on track consistently

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right here.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on September 25, 2017, 05:14:54 pm
He needs to let Enos convert the offense to the spread, and let him call ALL of the plays.  That way, CBB could continue to look dumfounded on the sideline.

Enos calls the plays

moses_007

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 05:28:27 pm
Enos calls the plays
Yes, but Bielema insists they stay in the same offense with linemen bunched so tight together it looks like a goal line formation on every snap.

The NewEra

Interesting take Wilson, but I think fixing that offensive line corrects a lot of problems.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on September 25, 2017, 05:32:29 pm
Yes, but Bielema insists they stay in the same offense with linemen bunched so tight together it looks like a goal line formation on every snap.

Yeah, I guess those are just mirages when we run 3 wide, fake news.....

VirginiaHog

I like Enos and Rhodes. It is position coaches I don't care for. Online and both lb coaches.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 02:39:46 pm

twistitup, it's hard to play QB lying on your back, and looking through your ear hole.

moses_007

Hoginsavga

Quote from: moses_007 on September 25, 2017, 05:46:28 pm
IMHO there are way too many assistant coaches.

Seriously, I know he is an aberration from modern day football but I love watching Paul Johnson coaching GA Tech football. My oldest daughter got a mechanical engineering degree from GA Tech (and her husband) so I am a big Tech fan and watch a lot of their games.

I often compare GA Tech status in the ACC with that of AR in the SEC. A little bit of fish out of water in both cases. However the coaching techniques are the polar opposites.

WoePigSooie

It seems to my not football expert eyes, that there are a lot of chemistry issues going on.  A lot of groups on different pages during the game.  Defense looks better, but gets fidgety and anxious looking as a game with a real opponent goes on.  Get behind, and it seems like they are so focused on not messing up they forget to watch for the ball.  Offense has issues all over.  Look really pretty decent in flashes, then "oops".  Has to add to the frustration when plays that don't seem to be working keep getting called.

Seems like a mish mash of coaching styles that doesn't put the talent we have in a position to succeed.  The resulting frustration doesn't help the team at all.

And for the love of God, go talk to the Soccer coach and find a kicker.  The women's soccer coach if necessary.

rtr

Quote from: WoePigSooie on September 25, 2017, 07:58:31 pm
It seems to my not football expert eyes, that there are a lot of chemistry issues going on.  A lot of groups on different pages during the game.  Defense looks better, but gets fidgety and anxious looking as a game with a real opponent goes on.  Get behind, and it seems like they are so focused on not messing up they forget to watch for the ball.  Offense has issues all over.  Look really pretty decent in flashes, then "oops".  Has to add to the frustration when plays that don't seem to be working keep getting called.

Seems like a mish mash of coaching styles that doesn't put the talent we have in a position to succeed.  The resulting frustration doesn't help the team at all.

And for the love of God, go talk to the Soccer coach and find a kicker.  The women's soccer coach if necessary.

I think this is a good synopsis of our problem/problems.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

code red

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 01:05:20 pm
Why you pull for a guy who failed at Cent. Mich is beyond me.....he is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Let the new coach choose his own OC
Agreed.  Run the freaking ball.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Piggfoot

Quote from: IronHog on September 25, 2017, 04:50:24 pm

If Long had any sense at all he would have strongly suggested BB keep Tim Horton on staff....

I know politics.....but that hurt IMO.
I know for a fact that Bielema wanted Tim Horton to stay but Long would not ok his salary. It was when Long was purging the department of any Broyles associates. This from Harold Horton.

Now to Wilson. Bielema needs to rid the staff of everyone who does not have an SEC association. They need to be replaced with SEC people who can identify with SEC players and their family.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.