Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If/when Bret leaves or is fired, Arkansas will hire...

Started by HogTakes, September 24, 2017, 09:23:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogTakes

Who's your pick? Here are some possibilities I can think of:

Dowell Loggains, Chicago Bears OC: A former Razorback calling the plays in the NFL. Could develop Kelley and give Arkansas a chance to win with creative offense, like he did for Chicago today.

Mike Norvell, Memphis HC: Another offensive mind who led Memphis to a win over UCLA. He has ties to the state and he'll likely be highly coveted this offseason.

Chip Kelly: That Kelly-Kelley connection would be really exciting... He'll likely be contacted by a lot of programs, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up elsewhere within the SEC.

Chad Morris, SMU HC: A&M grad who has a decent chance of ending up there if Sumlin is fired. He was a terrific offense coordinator at Clemson and has begun turning around the SMU program. Fun fact, SMU scored 36 on TCU and lost their matchup with the Horned Frogs by one fewer point than Arkansas.

PJ Fleck, Minnesota HC: I may be naive in thinking Arkansas is a better job than Minnesota today... He's a winner, though.

Jeff Brohm, Purdue HC: See above and replace "Minnesota" with "Purdue" (this is making me sad). Brohm also has ties to Petrino and Louisville, so who knows if that hinders his eligibility to be the Razorbacks head coach.

Pat Shurmur, Vikings OC: Long-time NFL coach who has had success with offenses led by Nick Foles, Sam Bradford and -- today -- Case Keenum.

Tee Martin, USC OC: Honestly, this should be the easy decision for the Vols, but his experience working with Sam Darnold this year would be valuable for Cole Kelley. Martin won a national championship as a QB and has led a high-scoring Trojans offense the last two seasons.

Scott Frost, UCF HC: Member of Chip Kelly's coaching tree who won 6 games in his first season as a head coach and started 2-0 this season, including a 38-10 victory over Maryland.

Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State HC: It's tough to pull a coach away from his alma mater, but Satterfield has logged double-digit wins in back-to-back seasons at App State.

Blake Anderson, Arkansas State HC: Anderson has a winning record in every season at ASU and lost just one conference game in the past two seasons (2015 & 2016).

Charlie Strong, USF HC: Obviously the Texas gig didn't work out for him, but he's off to a hot start at USF and he had success at Louisville. Strong is a solid defensive mind who is willing to play to the team's strengths (see Teddy Bridgewater) when needed.

Honorable mention: Pat Narduzi, PITT HC; Neal Brown, Troy HC; Mike Bobo, Colorado State HC; Rhett Lashlee, UCONN OC; Barry Lunney Jr., ARK assistant (Potential OC candidate, as well)

theFlyingHog

HogPharmer

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 09:28:31 pm
shut down and retool

Good post....

At least OP gave some valuable talking points and stuff to open up a discussion on. After all, that is why this board exists. The OP didn't bash anyone. Everyone likes to think about possible coaching replacements... especially in times like this.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

damgoodestuffyhog

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 09:33:01 pm
Pitt is terrible

you actually mentioned the OC at UConn, with a record of 1-2, as our head coach

fans in comas are capable of saying "Chip Kelly" - Chip Kelly is the next head coach of every team in America according to everyone

you're drunk

Keep being a smartass troll. See where it gets ya.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

The_Iceman

HogPharmer

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 09:51:08 pm
Pitt is terrible

he mentioned the OC at UConn as our head coach

we're not getting Chip Kelly

not a troll

Troll
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Ward on September 24, 2017, 09:51:08 pm
Pitt is terrible

he mentioned the OC at UConn as our head coach

we're not getting Chip Kelly

not a troll

You're killing the dream. We want chip kelly.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

PharmacistHog

I want a STRONG recruiter no matter what. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program.

ChicoHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 24, 2017, 09:59:42 pm
You're killing the dream. We want chip kelly.
God no.  He hates the pomp and circumstance and tradition of college football.  Coaches don't like working for him.  He doesn't like to recruit.  God no again. 

The OTR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 24, 2017, 09:45:32 pm
Keep being a smartass troll. See where it gets ya.

I'm right behind you if you want to take this boy to the wood shed.

ChicoHog

Scott frost will likely be the Nebraska head coach next year. 

Of all the people mentioned in the OP I like Brohm the best.  Not Chad Morris, another "no defense" guy.  Maybe Norvell-don't know enough about him except he has done well at memphis after Fuente.   Can he recruit?   I don't know. 

I don't see Brohm leaving Purdue as I bet they give him a lot of money and extend his contract after this year.  But who knows? 

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 24, 2017, 10:06:59 pm
I want a STRONG recruiter no matter what. Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program.

Yep.  Our greatest recruiters are the players.  We need one or two freshmen or sophomore strong skill players right now to step up in the next few games.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 24, 2017, 10:09:41 pm
I'm right behind you if you want to take this boy to the wood shed.

I've put in a call to a new friend of mine. He's a mayor. Gonna let him take care of this fool.

devildoghawg

PJ Fleck is my top choice, and has been for 2 years now.  I hope this becomes a reality.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

East Clintwood

Are Grobe and Bowden available?

Unless  Long is fired first then that's what we'll get.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: devildoghawg on September 24, 2017, 10:24:19 pm
PJ Fleck is my top choice, and has been for 2 years now.  I hope this becomes a reality.
too much schtick, not as much substance. But if he wins a division title or two at minnesota, i'd reconsider. He's likeable enough. Holds guys accountable. But he hasnt ever signed a 5 or a 4 *.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

gawntrail

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 24, 2017, 10:14:59 pm
Sean Peyton

Yep. I mentioned him a couple weeks ago.  Would be a good fit. Brings a SB ring, a wide open offensive philosophy, and is a qb guy. 

OKCHogFan

Les Miles... I'd take him and let him loose.  He can beat LSU, Alabama and anyone else in the SEC.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I've liked Craig Bohl's philosophy and how his teams play alot. He was a long time assistant at Nebraska, won a couple DII championships and has Wyoming trending up w/ far less resources than what is available at Arkansas.

However, for my 2 cents, I'm still all in on Brohm.  Even Mike Leach would be a fun coach for Arkansas.  Leach has now built up Texas Tech and Washington St. into Top 25 teams. Neither of those places are easy to win at. I'm not sure if Leach is willing to burn his career in the SEC meatgrinder at a bottom dweller.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Rooster Hogburn

To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Tarheelhawg

I'll take a chance on Chad Morris if he has a good year with SMU. I like his background with Clemson and his intelligence----a bachelor's degree in mathematics with a minor in statistics. 

LRrazorback

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 24, 2017, 10:36:43 pm
Are Grobe and Bowden available?

Unless  Long is fired first then that's what we'll get.

This
I don't trust Jeffie

NuttinItUp

Gonna be next year at least. Let's settle down and see who is the "hot" thing next year.

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

kp72204

Wishing is fun, however, thats all it is. One more year at a minimum for CBB. I am starting to wonder if he would just resign or take a different job after crying during press conference. Who ever is next would have to be an offensive mastermind to win here though. Hopefully he's single or police don't report next accident! LOL

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on September 24, 2017, 11:37:36 pm
Mike Norvell and actually read what Riley Ferguson says about being recruited by him in the article.

Yes Norvell can recruit.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blue-collar-blue-chip-memphis-qb-riley-ferguson-went-washing-fences-nfl-prospect-015013970.html

Norvell landed him but others were recruiting him. Heck the article even said Arkansas did. Just because he felt he related well with him doesn't men Norvell would relate better than other recruiters with all the players he might recruit. It appears he is a good coach but it is still very easy in his head coaching career. I hope he is successful and IF he was ever to get the job I'd support him. Just like I would any coach hired. But I like the fact his predecessor at Memphis built the program after it had fell back. Heck he even has beaten us. If you can't beat em, hire em.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

onebadrubi

Quote from: devildoghawg on September 24, 2017, 10:24:19 pm

He had an NFL receiver in a bad league.   I don't think people realize this guy. Reds to go accomplish something at a different stop before he's a big time want at any big div 1 school. 

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HardCore

Anybody Jeff Long hires will be just as bad. 

Long is the culprit......CBB is just the result

I'm not even so upset with the CBB hire as I am the ridiculous contract extension, given to an unproven SEC tenure, locking our University in handcuffs, with no good way out of it.

Long should be terminated for that alone!

Can you imagine most of yourselves making bad decisions at work and putting your Employer in very poor situations?  Probably wouldn't last too long.

Don't know why everyone else is accountable for poor job performance, but somehow Jeffy is immune???
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

redleg

Greg Schiano, Ohio St defensive coordinator and former Rutgers head coach. Schiano was highly successful at Rutgers, turning that program around before foolishly leaving to coach the Tamp Bay Buccaneers. He became just another college coach that tried his hand in the NFL and failed, kinda like Saban! But at Rutgers, his teams showed true progression over his tenure. His first four years were not very good, but he turned around a team that had been a perennial loser, and turned them into winners with solid recruiting, stingy defense, and dynamic offense. Six of his last seven squads finished with winning records, two with nine wins, plus an eleven win season in 2006, and he won five of six bowl games. Not to mention that Schiano was the defensive coordinator for the Miami Hurricanes in 1999 and 2000 under Butch Davis, two teams that went 9-4 and 11-1 and whose defenses finished 12th and 5th nationally in scoring defense respectively. 
Schiano would be a good fit for Arkansas. We would play some great defense. If he can turn around a bad Rutgers team  that hadn't had a winning season since 1992, he can take Arkansas to 9 or 10 wins and competing for the SEC West, at least!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

scorekeeper

A young, innovative, strong recruiting, defensive mind would be best. Then bring in a well respected, innovative high school head coach at offensive coordinator. Then bring in a former head coach as DC to aid in the learning curve of the young coaches.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HardCore on September 25, 2017, 08:46:09 am
Anybody Jeff Long hires will be just as bad. 

Long is the culprit......CBB is just the result

I'm not even so upset with the CBB hire as I am the ridiculous contract extension, given to an unproven SEC tenure, locking our University in handcuffs, with no good way out of it.

Long should be terminated for that alone!

Can you imagine most of yourselves making bad decisions at work and putting your Employer in very poor situations?  Probably wouldn't last too long.

Don't know why everyone else is accountable for poor job performance, but somehow Jeffy is immune???
Who was it that hired Bobby Petrino? I can't remember.

redleg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 25, 2017, 09:15:56 am
Who was it that hired Bobby Petrino? I can't remember.
On the field he was gangbusters. Off the field he was a terrible person.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

870hogfan

Just be a guy the fans on here that they want fired in 5 years so it don't really matter....

deserthog

bkjbearcat

Whomever the next HC is I hope he's finally the coach that can figure out how to get FL and GA guys to play for them. I know pie in the sky stuff but I hope that happens.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

elviscat

Next coach needs to have great connections  with high school coaches in the state of Texas. Then you have a feeder program for recruiting. Art Briles, is a coach with those credentials.

red_beard_82

There is one Coach out there that has proven he can recruit better than the school has traditionally recruited and proven he can beat Bama. And he is available on the cheap.  Hugh Freeze. Go get him today.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: redleg on September 25, 2017, 09:19:33 am
On the field he was gangbusters. Off the field he was a terrible person.
My point is: most of these posters whining about Long making crap hires are also BP huggers and are mad at Long for firing him but don't give him credit for hiring him in the first place. The narrative with this group is that BP fell into Long's lap and it was dumb luck and not an actual decision that Long made.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: redleg on September 25, 2017, 09:09:15 am
Greg Schiano, Ohio St defensive coordinator and former Rutgers head coach. Schiano was highly successful at Rutgers, turning that program around before foolishly leaving to coach the Tamp Bay Buccaneers. He became just another college coach that tried his hand in the NFL and failed, kinda like Saban! But at Rutgers, his teams showed true progression over his tenure. His first four years were not very good, but he turned around a team that had been a perennial loser, and turned them into winners with solid recruiting, stingy defense, and dynamic offense. Six of his last seven squads finished with winning records, two with nine wins, plus an eleven win season in 2006, and he won five of six bowl games. Not to mention that Schiano was the defensive coordinator for the Miami Hurricanes in 1999 and 2000 under Butch Davis, two teams that went 9-4 and 11-1 and whose defenses finished 12th and 5th nationally in scoring defense respectively. 
Schiano would be a good fit for Arkansas. We would play some great defense. If he can turn around a bad Rutgers team  that hadn't had a winning season since 1992, he can take Arkansas to 9 or 10 wins and competing for the SEC West, at least!
This is a real nice suggestion. I don't know if he'd be interested, but he fits the mold of a proven coach who is actually attainable (not Chip Kelly) and has high upside.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

oldman1015

I'm an old fashioned football fan. I prefer a 65-35 run-pass pro type offense and a strong defense. With that said I think the only way we can win consistently in the SEC is an innovative offensive mind. We aren't ever going to out Bama Bama. Someone like the Memphis coach would be my choice but I figure it will be someone like Les Miles.
Arkansas, the left lane state.