Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Arkansas HC, HDN accuses Ole Miss of running ‘smear campaign’

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 26, 2017, 07:15:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Since we are headed into a slow time in the summer, I thought I would post this little nugget. Looks like HDN and Ole Miss are pointing fingers at each other as the Ole Miss AD scrambles for a way to place blame anywhere but on his current HC.

Nutt wants the university to publicly apologize for passing blame for alleged NCAA violations onto him and his former staff at Ole Miss, according to Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde. If Nutt doesn't get an apology, Nutt's attorney says they might pursue legal action against the school.

"This was a smear campaign," Nutt said. "If it weren't so deceitful and morally wrong, it would probably go down in college football history as one of the best trick plays ever."

After the NCAA's first notice of allegations to Ole Miss, athletic director Ross Bjork issued a statement saying that "many of the allegations" against the football program went back to Nutt's staff in 2010. However, only four of the 13 violations went back to Nutt's tenure. The rest reportedly occurred under current  coach Hugh Freeze.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi/houston-nutt-ole-miss-football-smear-campaign

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy or a nicer school. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 26, 2017, 07:15:47 am
Since we are headed into a slow time in the summer, I thought I would post this little nugget. Looks like HDN and Ole Miss are pointing fingers at each other as the Ole Miss AD scrambles for a way to place blame anywhere but on his current HC.

Nutt wants the university to publicly apologize for passing blame for alleged NCAA violations onto him and his former staff at Ole Miss, according to Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde. If Nutt doesn't get an apology, Nutt's attorney says they might pursue legal action against the school.

"This was a smear campaign," Nutt said. "If it weren't so deceitful and morally wrong, it would probably go down in college football history as one of the best trick plays ever."

After the NCAA's first notice of allegations to Ole Miss, athletic director Ross Bjork issued a statement saying that "many of the allegations" against the football program went back to Nutt's staff in 2010. However, only four of the 13 violations went back to Nutt's tenure. The rest reportedly occurred under current  coach Hugh Freeze.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi/houston-nutt-ole-miss-football-smear-campaign

Nutt must be running low on loot. One would think all the millions he bilked from ole Miss and Arkansas to sit home and do nothing would last him a little longer than that.

Seebs

Not good enough to find anotehr head coaching job
Not talented enough to sustain any decent TV gig
That 3MM golden handcuff does not go as long as it seems
Time to get back his good name and make himself relevant by reminding folks, most of which either have forgotten or never cared, that he and his staff cheated in 2010. 
What a complete dolt. Freeze is taking the hit on this without question. TCTWF is making yet another cose red, this time on himself.

Not sure the NCAA will show cause but there needs to be a special moniker simply stating - 'Narccistic Jack Wagon that will kill your program'.  Have him wear it around his neck like a washed-up coaching version of Flavor Flav

Edit: This just in. Feces is suing the world for claiming it smells like feces.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

DeltaBoy

LOL that just funny.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRrazorback

Wow is this a dream?  This couldn't have played out any better.  Can't wait to watch and see how this turns out

RagingHawgOn

As much as I despise HDN, I despise Ole Piss more.

Why in the hell they are trying to protect Freeze baffles me, unless he has information that could totally devastate that program worse than it will be. This crap all started after Freeze arrived.

Vantage 8 dude

This will be a VERY interesting drama to see played out. On the one hand we have old Hooter "I got to get my hand on some more green 'cause I've doubtless spent all my loot from the past two football programs I coached plus my tv gig" and on the other we have the pond scum that comprises the OM program. In the middle is "I know nothing, nothing" (Sgt) Schultz HC Hugh Freeze. Should make for very good and laughable entertainment in the realm of public discourse. I just honestly hope that neither side gives in and we can all get some added chuckles and grand theatre.

hawgon

I hate to defend Nutt, but I would be pissed too in his shoes.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on May 26, 2017, 08:38:18 am

Why in the hell they are trying to protect Freeze baffles me, unless he has information that could totally devastate that program worse than it will be. This crap all started after Freeze arrived.

They both suck equally.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on May 26, 2017, 08:53:03 am

All he had to do was release a statement to the Media that said, "This isn't as much about my era as it is about the current era. Yes, we have a few allegations out there about the time that I was here, but the vast majority (69%) of the allegations apply to the current staff and program". Then, let it go.

But he isn't going to do that because like a child seeking attention, he doesn't care if it is positive or negative attention as long as he is circulating his name and a part of the discussion. Being irrelevant must be killing him.
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 26, 2017, 09:21:06 am
All he had to do was release a statement to the Media that said, "This isn't as much about my era as it is about the current era. Yes, we have a few allegations out there about the time that I was here, but the vast majority (69%) of the allegations apply to the current staff and program". Then, let it go.

But he isn't going to do that because like a child seeking attention, he doesn't care if it is positive or negative attention as long as he is circulating his name and a part of the discussion. Being irrelevant must be killing him.
And he will continue to be irrelevant and unemployed, because no program without a death wish are going to want to be the proverbial third strike. Nutt won't coach a major college football program ever again. I'd bet money on it.

hogsanity

Since we are headed into a slow time in the summer,

we will have threads about HDN, because over a decade after he left those still get more posts than things about this coming season. It is understandable, the HDN situation made Hogville.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NaturalStateReb

It's hard to really smear a guy who lost 14 SEC games in a row and got his last two bosses fired.  Kind of speaks for itself.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on May 26, 2017, 10:32:35 am
we will have threads about HDN, because over a decade after he left those still get more posts than things about this coming season. It is understandable, the HDN situation made Hogville.

Well this is about HDN because of his former relevance to us and the program he went to when he was encouraged to find a different job. Not to mention, who doesn't enjoy seeing Ole Miss burning their program to the ground for a while?
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

GuvHog

Say what you want but I'll always despise Ole Miss far more than I despise Nutt and I most certainly don't like Houston Nutt.

Frankly, I hope Nutt files a big ole lawsuit against them and lines his pockets with money at their expense. Ole Miss deserves it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogShat

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgon on May 26, 2017, 08:53:03 am

This.  Ole Miss has enough corruption without bringing Nutt into the fray.

They should be specific about Nutt's misdeeds or shut up, preferably shut up.  And wallow in their stench.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: goodguytex on May 26, 2017, 10:27:44 am
And he will continue to be irrelevant and unemployed, because no program without a death wish are going to want to be the proverbial third strike. Nutt won't coach a major college football program ever again. I'd bet money on it.

With the bankroll he milked from UA and Ole Miss I would say he's retired, not unemployed.  I wish I was as unemployed as HDN!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

311Hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 26, 2017, 12:49:38 pm
With the bankroll he milked from UA and Ole Miss I would say he's retired, not unemployed.  I wish I was as unemployed as HDN!

man you know as well as i do that he has blown that cash on hookers and blow, and an unlimited texting plan.

I love seeing these two entities crap on each other and i hope it continues.

KlubhouseKonnected

Say what you want about Nutt but I do believe that Ole Miss is unfairly attempting to lay the bulk of its transgressions off on Nutt.

I'm sure there was cheating while he was there, I mean OleMiss gonna Ole Miss, but HNutt is not really what you would call a smooth operator. I'd bet he was engaged in a bit of the willful blindness, happy recipient cheating.

However, Ole Miss really picked up steam after Nutt, and you can't tell
Me that was based on the momentum generated by successful cheating under the Nutt regime. His regime may have been successful at cheating but that cheating did not result in much success on the field where it would help going clean on recruiting.

If anything Nutt is most guilty of letting cheaters on his staff which created the culture and, in the case of Freeze, directly resulted in the bulk of the cheating that has gone on (the last few years). One should remember how Freeze got his start in college coaching.

1. He was a high school coach who "coincidentally" got a job with Ole Miss immediately following his star player Micheal Oher signing with Ole Miss.
2. Shortly thereafter, it was found that Freeze had been improperly recruiting other Memphis area players to Ole Miss PRIOR to being on the Ole Miss staff.
3. The above #2 makes the "coincidence" referenced in the above #1 particularly suspicious because, It's pretty simple math that shows that Freeze was found to be improperly recruiting HS athletes to Ole Miss at the very same time Ole Miss was recruiting and signing his own highly coveted blue chip player. Yet, lack of evidence and ineptitude on the part of the NCAA, resulted in Freeze's assertion that while he admittedly committed recruiting violations in regards to less highly regarded (read as: less valuable to his new employer and therefore him personally) recruits,  he had totally clean hands with regards to Ole Miss's recruitment of his Oher (who was his own player and had a great deal of personal influence and access to) could not be disproven and allowed to stand.

Riiight, Freeze only cheated a little with guys Ole Miss did not want that much AND the results of Oher's decision was not at all connected to his employment with Ole Miss. I believe the above described events may very well be the seed that led Frreze being so bold in his cheating as a head coach.

Sorry this post is written so poorly.

Riiiight.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogShat on May 26, 2017, 12:43:16 pm
If you lay down with a dog you are bound to get fleas....

some of those fleas text and others ride a motorcycle. In the end they both cause major inflamation.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

phadedhawg

I'm on HDN's side with this one.  Not because I'm a Houston Nutt fan but he has a chance to hurt one of our divisional rivals so I'm all for it. 

Plus, it's pretty self serving for Ole Miss to try to pass the buck on blame for the dumpster fire that program deserves to be in.  I doubt Arkansas would get as much time/consideration as Ole Miss has after it was revealed they pay their players.   

MuskogeeHogFan

I'll just enjoy watching both parties (HDN and the Ole Miss Administration) pointing fingers at each other and trying to blame the other. HDN does appear to be the "more innocent" of the two, in the case of lesser degrees of blame.
Go Hogs Go!

Sivad

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 26, 2017, 01:38:18 pm
I'm on HDN's side with this one.
I'll never fly the Hootie colors but hope both sides manage to land some devastating blows on the other.
P.S. Ole Miss: we tried to warn you.

Hawgphish

Inhogswetrust

^ Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner post!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

hawgXi

Quote from: Seebs on May 26, 2017, 07:28:21 am
Not good enough to find anotehr head coaching job
Not talented enough to sustain any decent TV gig
That 3MM golden handcuff does not go as long as it seems
Time to get back his good name and make himself relevant by reminding folks, most of which either have forgotten or never cared, that he and his staff cheated in 2010. 
What a complete dolt. Freeze is taking the hit on this without question. TCTWF is making yet another cose red, this time on himself.

Not sure the NCAA will show cause but there needs to be a special moniker simply stating - 'Narccistic Jack Wagon that will kill your program'.  Have him wear it around his neck like a washed-up coaching version of Flavor Flav

Edit: This just in. Feces is suing the world for claiming it smells like feces.

well put

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 26, 2017, 12:34:51 pm
Say what you want but I'll always despise Ole Miss far more than I despise Nutt and I most certainly don't like Houston Nutt.

Frankly, I hope Nutt files a big ole lawsuit against them and lines his pockets with money at their expense. Ole Miss deserves it.

But hooty does not deserve to line his pockets with anymore of someone else's money.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Birminghog

EastexHawg

What is the basis of his threatened lawsuit?  What is the definition of "many"?  If the quote in the Forde story is correct, I don't see how Nutt has a case.  They didn't say "most" of the violations occurred under Nutt, they said many.  A dozen is twelve, a gross is 144, most is more than 50%, but how many make up "many"?

One thing that can be expressed specifically and inarguably is that the moron who pretended for ten long, seemingly never ending years at Arkansas to be an SEC coach presided over the longest conference losing streak in Ole Miss history.  Not fiddy years...in history.

Hoggish1

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on May 26, 2017, 08:38:18 am

'ya think...?

JayHog

I never understood all the HDN hate. All he did was take us to bowl games every year. I'm sure his record at Arkansas is better than CBB's record, but there's not all that hate for CBB. I never understood it

factchecker

Quote from: JayHog on May 27, 2017, 06:12:53 pm
I never understood all the HDN hate. All he did was take us to bowl games every year. I'm sure his record at Arkansas is better than CBB's record, but there's not all that hate for CBB. I never understood it

Then you haven't been a hog fan very long.  The hatred for Nutt extends way beyond wins and losses.  It has nothing with being "mediocre" and everything with being a garbage human being.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

idochog

He had barely a .500 SEC record over his 10 years here.  During a time when BAMA absolutely sucked balls.
He did pull a few big upsets but he also followed that up w/ losses to SEC teams we had not business losing to (aka Kentucky).

He did goto some bowls games but then again any team can limp into a bowl games these days and his bowl record was absolutely horrid against some teams we had no business losing to in bowl games.

Beyond that, Nutt was a spoiled little crybaby who had a stuff full of idiots......Just take a gander at where some of his staff is coaching these days.

But in order to not derail this thread, I hate em' both and I hope they continue to duke it out in the media.
I love Jesus!

Vantage 8 dude

Not only was he a very average coach, even when he had undoubtedly the greatest backfield in Arkansas history, but just as importantly, he was a total slim bag. He cared little for most of his players, only the stars got the royal treatment, and there was no question that it was very much a divided team most years of his tenure. In the end he was also a total jerk and would do virtually anything for money.

DLUXHOG

my guess... HDN is simply thinking he can get Ol' Miss to settle for some amount....   what would be hilarious is, that if Ol' Miss calls his bluff, that both HDN and Ol' Miss get pasted with heretofore unknown violations that they both, stupidly, accuse each other of in trying to prove which one is messed up more........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

southeasthog

Has Beliema "lil' sister" sent an email to his starting QB with the heading DEAR MR. INTERCEPTION KING! Then did the Beliema family circulate it and find it funny as shite? Did that same family predict that the same QB was gonna be put in his place by the teams Middle Linebacker? And then POOF it happened. Yeah I don't understand why fans have a problem with the Nutts either.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

nchogg

I supported HDN as our coach but did not like the way it ended. Then he goes to OM. He lost all my respect his last 2 years as our coach and sealed it with OM.

WilsonHog

The man (and I use that term loosely) has been out of coaching for six years. He lifted his skirt for the UConn job and got bubkes. Gotta stay relevant somehow.

Didn't have to be this way. Dude drove his own career into the ditch at Arkansas. At least Petrino had a blonde riding shotgun. Nutt just had his own ego.   

LRrazorback

Quote from: DLUXHOG on May 27, 2017, 10:45:25 pm
my guess... HDN is simply thinking he can get Ol' Miss to settle for some amount....   what would be hilarious is, that if Ol' Miss calls his bluff, that both HDN and Ol' Miss get pasted with heretofore unknown violations that they both, stupidly, accuse each other of in trying to prove which one is messed up more........

That's a great point, if this should go to trial all kinds of stuff could be brought up. In fact HDN's attorneys might as well apply for jobs with the NCAA.

goodguytex

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 08:25:34 am
The man (and I use that term loosely) has been out of coaching for six years. He lifted his skirt for the UConn job and got bubkes. Gotta stay relevant somehow.

Didn't have to be this way. Dude drove his own career into the ditch at Arkansas. At least Petrino had a blonde riding shotgun. Nutt just had his own ego.
Nutt had no business being a major college HC when he did. His rah rah schtick and proclaiming how much he loved Arkansas is what got him hired to begin with. He got in way over his head when his own arrogance guided his decision making, and then he kept getting himself deeper and deeper.

WilsonHog

Quote from: goodguytex on May 28, 2017, 08:35:03 am
Nutt had no business being a major college HC when he did. His rah rah schtick and proclaiming how much he loved Arkansas is what got him hired to begin with. He got in way over his head when his own arrogance guided his decision making, and then he kept getting himself deeper and deeper.

Agreed. He came in as basically a courtesy interview off of a losing season at Boise State ( Nutt is the last coach, btw, to have a losing season at Boise). Next thing Hog fans knew, he was all over the news and it was time to "bring Houston home." Might as well have been selling us a 1973 Impala.

oldhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 08:41:25 am
Agreed. He came in as basically a courtesy interview off of a losing season at Boise State ( Nutt is the last coach, btw, to have a losing season at Boise). Next thing Hog fans knew, he was all over the news and it was time to "bring Houston home." Might as well have been selling us a 1973 Impala.

As I recall, some of his former Boise State players referred to him as a "used car salesman."

That's a real slap in the face to used car salesmen everywhere.

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 28, 2017, 08:25:34 amDidn't have to be this way. Dude drove his own career into the ditch at Arkansas. At least Petrino had a blonde riding shotgun. Nutt just had his own ego.   

Yepper. He only has himself to blame. It's still unbelievable to me that someone who has at least enough going for him to land a HC gig at Arkansas would allow his ego to derail an entire program....as well as his entire life.

Sure he resented having to hire Gus in order to seal the deal on the Springdale 5 (not to mention bring in his offense). But instead of just shutting the hell up and letting everything work for him, he wanted the credit for any measure of success we had (and Lord knows he deflected any blame). Instead of letting Mustain continue to "get bedder" and grow, he was resentful of the boy's success and yanks him for Casey Dick because of the sophomore's 'experience'. We go 2-3 after that.

Styflin

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on May 26, 2017, 10:54:15 am
It's hard to really smear a guy who lost 14 SEC games in a row and got his last two bosses fired.  Kind of speaks for itself.

What does Bielema have to do with this? I kid I kid

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on May 28, 2017, 09:04:50 am
Yepper. He only has himself to blame. It's still unbelievable to me that someone who has at least enough going for him to land a HC gig at Arkansas would allow his ego to derail an entire program....as well as his entire life.

Sure he resented having to hire Gus in order to seal the deal on the Springdale 5 (not to mention bring in his offense). But instead of just shutting the hell up and letting everything work for him, he wanted the credit for any measure of success we had (and Lord knows he deflected any blame). Instead of letting Mustain continue to "get bedder" and grow, he was resentful of the boy's success and yanks him for Casey Dick because of the sophomore's 'experience'. We go 2-3 after that.

If Arkansas has a time capsule, it needs a simple scrap of paper in it with these numbers:

3 17 29 0 1

Give it up, Danny.

"This was a smear campaign," Mustain said. "If it weren't so deceitful and morally wrong, it would probably go down in college football history as one of the best trick plays ever."

Fixed it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.