Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't understand the "can he build a program" talk?

Started by incHOGnito, November 24, 2013, 10:00:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

incHOGnito

From Day 1, some on here have asked whether Bielema can build a program? Arguing that Alvarez left him a good team and system and all he had to do was "maintain" what Alvarez put in place.

I don't understand this thought process at all.  The college game necessitates that a coach be in a continuous program building mode. This isn't the 1995 Dallas Cowboys under Switzer, most college players only contribute significantly for two years, on average, and 4 years maximum. That means a coach has "rebuild" every four years, at minimum, at each position.

It would be one thing if Arkansas had been down for a number of years, or had never had football success, but that is not the case. Bielema just has to get his players in (which he did at Wisconsin) and install his system. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't, but the "program building" criticism is at best irrelevant and at worst inaccurate.

The Boar War

I'm a Bielema supporter.  But you have to agree that it's much easier to take a 10 win team and continue the same system that was run for 15 years than it is to take a 4 win team and completely change philosophies.

Jek Tono Porkins

I just don't understand how we were supposed to hire someone who has proven they can build a program in a major conference. Most guys who build programs from the ground up tend to stay there and reap the rewards of their hard work. Guys like art briles, mike gundy, bill Snyder, Gary pinkel, etc have worked extremely hard to get where they're at and probably don't want to move somewhere else to start the process all over again. That's what bielema wants to do here. All of those guys have something in common...they've had terrible first year teams.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Fayettechill14

His mentors include Alvarez, Snyder, and Fry. Those are probably 3 of the 5 greatest program-builders in modern college football history. He didn't specifically have to do it at Wisconsin, but he's gotten a ton of advice over the years on how it's done.

bphi11ips

Some posters here seem to think "building a program" is like landscaping a Chenal McMansion yard.  Drop a mature maple over here, a magnolia over there, . . . .

Oaks take a long time to grow from an acorn, but they have deep roots. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

snortman

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on November 25, 2013, 12:10:23 am
His mentors include Alvarez, Snyder, and Fry. Those are probably 3 of the 5 greatest program-builders in modern college football history. He didn't specifically have to do it at Wisconsin, but he's gotten a ton of advice over the years on how it's done.

Yeah, I know some people that have spoken to Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, and Lee Trevino, yet they still suck at Golf, so what's your point?

d1nonlyhogfan

I'm not ready to say whether he can or can't build a program, but he and his staff have made plenty of mistakes this season. If the talent gap wasn't there, those mistakes wouldn't be as costly, but once we close that gap, hopefully the staff will have learned from their mistakes, too.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Wants2Win

This isn't our 3rd year of football on campus people.

snortyann

See FCJ's topic and my post on pg. 3. Nuff said.    :(

pfrg999

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 25, 2013, 09:23:32 am
Some posters here seem to think "building a program" is like landscaping a Chenal McMansion yard.  Drop a mature maple over here, a magnolia over there, . . . .

Oaks take a long time to grow from an acorn, but they have deep roots. 

Really ??? are we going all Metaphorical now ??? .. Oaks yes have strong roots.. But thousands are chopped down and used for firewood, Furniture etc..
  Yes, it will take some time... However, Building a program is Nothing like growing an Oak tree either.. They grow by themselves with no one helping all the time..
  The problem has been not only the losses, but the boneheaded playcalling, and lack of in game adjustments that costs us drives and points and gave them drive & points. and it happens EVERY game ..... Maybe he can get the talent, but he will have to get better talent than normal to overcome coaching mistakes... But he has al least 2-3 more years here.. he can go 0-24 in the SEC and nothing will happen... CBB gets paid!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

joeyself

I think back to Nolan's first couple of years with Sutton's players.  Kleine and Balentine weren't back for that first year, which would be akin to losing a top flight QB, I'd think.  Obviously, the recruiting this year will tell us a lot about what we can expect.

JcS 
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS