MA's Time Out Huddle

Started by RagingHawgOn, January 10, 2018, 09:56:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RagingHawgOn

Look like you're stuck in mud!
Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

Good job Mike. Don't mention fundamentals......absolute joke.

slappy

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Wild Bill Hog

He forgot to tell them they were getting punked.

jst01

Mike is a life coach not a hoops coach. He'd be a good stand in for Samuel L Jackson's character in a movie where all the inner city guys don't wanna play hard or study and go to class. Mike could motivate them to be great men and don't get "punked"!! He'd give great ra ra speeches about future after hoops. But he can't turn a group of 10 guys into a cohesive team to save his life.

arkfan81

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 10, 2018, 09:56:41 pm
Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

We're close..
Have faith...

Sivad

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

FineAsSwine

Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

Everything he said to them  was accurate though.
Hogs up! Covid down!

pigbacon

Weak. Hopefully he knows what they need better than us here, but I for one would have liked to see him crawl a ref, take a technical, get ejected and been waiting in the locker room wearing his jump suit and sneakers for the press conference and ready for a 10:30 PM practice.

ishankem

No coaching, just being a cheerleader

Oliver

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 10, 2018, 10:09:12 pm
Everything he said to them  was accurate though.

Any Joe Schmo in the audience could have told them that

Roy Bacon

Zero strategy . Typical of him . I wonder if our new AD is impressed ?
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

HamIAm

I've said it before, when you are busting your butt and getting beat it doesn't help for the coach to just say the solution is to play harder.  At some point you just say "the heck with it."  We may have reached that point.

The_Iceman

hobhog

Watch party i was at (last of year I predict) actually laughed out loud at his timeout mementos. Everyone would get quiet to hear and then burst out laughing.

hog golf

Quote from: hobhog on January 11, 2018, 08:20:50 am
Watch party i was at (last of year I predict) actually laughed out loud at his timeout mementos. Everyone would get quiet to hear and then burst out laughing.
well at least we have that going for us for entertainment.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Roy Bacon on January 11, 2018, 12:12:45 am
Zero strategy . Typical of him . I wonder if our new AD is impressed ?
i suspect not so much.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogfan98

Ever listen to his press conferences?  There's no real insight or statements that imply critical thinking.  Just cliche after cliche.  "Buckle down" and "Bring Intensity".  He coaches the same way.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2018, 11:40:49 am
i suspect not so much.

How many basketball games have they played since the new AD was hired? How many have they won?

Oh, and the night the committee was in houston to interview him, he saw Houston blow Arkansas out of the gym.

I am sure he is impressed, impressed that Mike was able to keep his job after 16-16 in yr 5, it was quite a feat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbkman

CMA has said many times that his guys are going to start guarding the other team as soon as they get off of the bus. He should not let them use up so much energy until they get on the actual basketball court and try to guard the opponent there.

WMHawgfan

Even if we shot the ball fairly well I think we still lose that game. LSU was handling our token pressure with ease and cutting through to the basket at will.

We made a little spurt there in the second half but you could see the quit in this team when LSU answered.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

26.2Hog

LSU has a freshman point guard that plays like a senior.

We have a senior point guard that plays like a freshman.

k.c.hawg

Doing what he was taught by his mentor. Nolan use to always say.....we worked on all of that for 20 hours this week and the weeks before.....if they didn't learn it then, they aren't going to learn it in 30 seconds. Nolan mostly used timeouts to stare down players and jump their ass for lack of effort.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

311Hog

they seem to have fallen in love with their jump shot.

hobhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 11, 2018, 01:40:09 pm
Doing what he was taught by his mentor. Nolan use to always say.....we worked on all of that for 20 hours this week and the weeks before.....if they didn't learn it then, they aren't going to learn it in 30 seconds. Nolan mostly used timeouts to stare down players and jump their ass for lack of effort.

Nolan ain't walking thru that door.....

hobhog

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 11, 2018, 01:05:33 pm
CMA has said many times that his guys are going to start guarding the other team as soon as they get off of the bus. He should not let them use up so much energy until they get on the actual basketball court and try to guard the opponent there.

+1

The NewEra

During performances like this I've been waiting for Anderson to put the third stringers on the floor and sit the starters for the rest of the game.  Just in the hope that there is some way to embarrass them a little, since their lack of performance on the court didn't seem to.

Tusker4life

I think the real issue is the 3 point shot, if they would eliminate it in all levels of basketball, the players would learn fundamentals. Seems everyone relies on the 3. Then when they can't hit it they seem to forget They can shot a short shot or a layup.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

Paul

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 11, 2018, 01:40:09 pm
Used to think that Nolan yelled during timeouts & Mike was the tactician.  Turns out, he was the cliche' master. 

pigbacon

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 11, 2018, 01:05:33 pm

More like the other team is getting off the bus at the basket, a la curb side service, and nobody is there to greet them.

arslp

We've seen our mistakes on tape and there's nothing that can't be fixed
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

Roadhog82

Kevin

I remember nolan's first year, hogs vs tcu on the road. He talked to assistants the whole timeout, then told Allie freeman get the best shot we can.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2018, 08:02:57 pm
I remember nolan's first year, hogs vs tcu on the road. He talked to assistants the whole timeout, then told Allie freeman get the best shot we can.

I remember Nolans 3rd season when they made the ncaat, and his 4th when they made it again and I think it was his 5th when they made the final 4 and hs 6th they made the elite 8. For Mikes 5th they made .500 and for his 6th they were out the 1st weekend in the ncaat.

For the love of all that is good please quit any comparisons between Nolan and Mike.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rzrbkman

One other thing I never understood about Mike's timeout huddle was why it always took so long for him to join the huddle and actually start talking to the players. Whether it's a called timeout or a TV timeout he spends way too much time just standing around staring ar whatever before joining his players. Please don't suggest that he is just standing there thinking about what to say as he should already know what He is going to say as it's probably just going to be the same ole, same ole....

code red

Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

Yeah noticed that.  I really don't understand his philosophy.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

razorpimp

Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

Calm down folks...just listen to those eloquent words...we truly are in the midst of coaching greatness!!!

Sounds just like Coach K!

BallHog1

Quote from: Paul on January 11, 2018, 07:34:36 pm
Used to think that Nolan yelled during timeouts & Mike was the tactician.  Turns out, he was the cliche' master. 
More proof that the coaches on HV know little or nothing about what is really going on. Was true when Nolan was here and the fans criticised him while decreeing that Mike was the tactician. It's true now as well.

Big Nasty 34

Not saying I necessarily believe this, but in Mike's defense, the SEC Network isn't going to show actual game strategy. I'm not sure how much Mike actually gave, but TV isn't going to show him giving details about strategy.

MountieDawg

Gambling, over playing defense leads to easy lay ups for both teams.... However the Hogs didnt get many steals against LSU and LSU got all the easy layups playing 5 on 4, or 5 on 3...  If you live by the steal and you cannot make many, you will die by the steal to wide open shots.
SEC!

McKdaddy

Quote from: ishankem on January 10, 2018, 10:24:31 pm
No coaching, just being a cheerleader

Agreed.  I'm pulling hard for Mike, but he makes it difficult.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Razorback de Nosferatu

Somebody above mentioned something similar, but anyway:

I don't think I've ever seen one of those "wired up" segments in which the coach actually says anything of substance.  This is true in college and the NBA.  It's always generic rah-rah stuff about needing to play harder, slow down, speed up, move the ball around, whatever.

I'm not in the mood to defend Mike Anderson right now, but those in-game looks into the huddles are always pointless.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 12, 2018, 09:44:18 am
Somebody above mentioned something similar, but anyway:

I don't think I've ever seen one of those "wired up" segments in which the coach actually says anything of substance.  This is true in college and the NBA.  It's always generic rah-rah stuff about needing to play harder, slow down, speed up, move the ball around, whatever.

I'm not in the mood to defend Mike Anderson right now, but those in-game looks into the huddles are always pointless.

Really? I guess you've never seen the ones with Coach K, or Calipari or Jay Wright at Nova.

Forget who they were playing last year, but they showed Calipari several times, and he was drawing up plays, adjusting the defense, and at the last TO, drew up a play with a double screen for Monk to take a 3 when they were either down 2 or tied, they came out, ran it exactly as he drew it up and Monk drilled about a 22 ft shot.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2018, 09:49:06 am
Really? I guess you've never seen the ones with Coach K, or Calipari or Jay Wright at Nova.

Forget who they were playing last year, but they showed Calipari several times, and he was drawing up plays, adjusting the defense, and at the last TO, drew up a play with a double screen for Monk to take a 3 when they were either down 2 or tied, they came out, ran it exactly as he drew it up and Monk drilled about a 22 ft shot.

You're right, guess I didn't see those.  All I ever hear or see, college or pro, is a bunch of rah-rah.

Anyway, you won't get me defending Anderson.  My only point was that I don't know if it's fair to judge him based off what was shown in one of those wired segments, when--and yes, I do believe what you said--a LOT of those segments from many coaches offer nothing of substance.

We can all judge him just fine based off what we see on the basketball court.  It ain't pretty.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 12, 2018, 10:42:52 am
You're right, guess I didn't see those.  All I ever hear or see, college or pro, is a bunch of rah-rah.

Anyway, you won't get me defending Anderson.  My only point was that I don't know if it's fair to judge him based off what was shown in one of those wired segments, when--and yes, I do believe what you said--a LOT of those segments from many coaches offer nothing of substance.

We can all judge him just fine based off what we see on the basketball court.  It ain't pretty.

I just wish he'd have been wired up during the final timeout of regulation of the TN game. I would have loved to have seen hat went on in there. Most coaches would have drawn something up for their best/hottest shooter. While  had no issue at all with Macon taking the last shot, it was basically give him the ball and hope he does something ( come to think of it that has been the entire offense for 4 games ).

Atlhogfan1

It's cheap and lazy going after a coach over comments made when wearing a mic.  They shouldn't do it.  Shouldn't be asked to do it. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 10:18:26 pm
I remember Nolans 3rd season when they made the ncaat, and his 4th when they made it again and I think it was his 5th when they made the final 4 and hs 6th they made the elite 8. For Mikes 5th they made .500 and for his 6th they were out the 1st weekend in the ncaat.

For the love of all that is good please quit any comparisons between Nolan and Mike.

the memory was more funny to me today, than to be taken seriously
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Justifiable Hogicide

Play hard!
Need some heart!
Don't give up!

A lot of $$$$$ paid for that level of "coaching".