Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

13 foot, 1400 lb Gator Caught from Millwood Lake

Started by RazorbackRon, September 20, 2012, 05:34:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackRon

September 20, 2012, 05:34:00 pm Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:36:34 pm by RazorbackRon
This is a big one guys.  Gator was an estimated 30 years old.

QuoteMike Cottingham, of Prescott, snared a gator measuring 13 feet, three inches in the bottoms of Millwood Lake on Saturday night. The reptile weighed 1,380 pounds

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=587342
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Hawgon

I would just about bet my house that there are some out there bigger than that.  I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of them.

HoggieStyle

Can someone tell me why AGFC is so stingy with the tags for these things?

There ain't no good reason for a 13 foot gator to be in Arkansas.

KILLEM.

Hawgon

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 21, 2012, 09:28:24 am

KILLEM.

There are scads of them that big in Millwood.  There are so many of them in SW Arkansas that they are a nuisance.  They are showing up all over.  I hear they even have them in Broken Bow lake in Oklahoma now.  That is almost in the mountains for Pete's sake. 

HuntinHog

82abn Ard

DeltaBoy

Yep some one going to outfit the team with Gator skin boots.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jeremy T

HogBreath

Seems like I heard something about there being a lot of Gators over in the Foreman area.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

duckcmmndr

I fish on Millwood and see several that big every year.  It is over run with them.  They could stand a serious thinning out down there.

Hawgon

September 26, 2012, 09:43:10 am #12 Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:14:13 am by Hawgon
You know they eat fish.  I would think that with as many gators as there are in Millwood, that they would be a serious drain on the bass fishing there.  I mean there are thousands of gators in Millwood and hundreds of big ones.  A ten or eleven footer is no big deal, a twelve footer is merely a big gator, and there lots of them that are a good bit bigger than merely big.  I would not be surprised at all if sometime within the next ten years of so, someone catches a fourteen or fifteen footer out of there.  I would just about bet my house that there are some in there that are that big.

clutch

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 21, 2012, 09:28:24 am

KILLEM.

I agree. I can't think of any good reason at all to have them here. Leave em to the Cajuns.

Hawgon

Quote from: clutch on September 26, 2012, 10:17:29 am
I agree. I can't think of any good reason at all to have them here. Leave em to the Cajuns.

Well, they are native.  It isn't like they were transplanted in.  They have always been there, it is just that the numbers are getting out of control.

clutch

Quote from: Hawgon on September 26, 2012, 11:13:29 am
Well, they are native.  It isn't like they were transplanted in.  They have always been there, it is just that the numbers are getting out of control.

Yeah I know. Still can't think of anything good about them though. I don't like things that can eat me in my fishing hole.

DeltaBoy

Well I guess swimming in Millwood is out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hawgon

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2012, 09:57:55 am

I don't even like duck hunting there anymore.  I know they are supposed to be slow when it is cold, but they don't really hibernate and I have seen them out there when the temps were in the 30s.

HogBreath

I saw where someone in Mississippi(think it was on yahoo) caught a state record gator, believe it was close to 13 feet, but weighed only 600-700 pounds.  This Millwood beast was twice that.

The biggest I ever ran across was my first one to spot down there, it was actually in Beard's Lake below the dam, around 12 feet long, maybe more, looked to be a foot wide or so across the eyes.  Sure did make my fishing buddy that day squeal, I had warned about the possibilty of gators, but he thought I was BS'n, that one changed his mind.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogBreath

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 27, 2012, 09:57:55 am
Not too long ago I saw some dude skiing in Little river, down by horseshoe Lake's south end, 18 horse pulling him.

PonderinHog

About 12 years ago, I was reading the USA Today section that has news from each state, page three I think.  The Arkansas story was about a 12 foot gator found (run over?) on the highway near Egypt.  I was surprised by this.  Egypt is about 30 miles from the Missouri bootheel.  I had no idea they were that far north.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogBreath on September 27, 2012, 11:17:13 am
Not too long ago I saw some dude skiing in Little river, down by horseshoe Lake's south end, 18 horse pulling him.

Braver or stupider than me!

Hawgon

A month or two ago I saw some party barges taking out at the HW 71 bridge there on Little River.  There were two little girls running around the parking lot with them who looked to be five or six years old.  They both had on life vests and their hair looked to be wet.  I wonder if they let those little girls get in the water there?  You know, right there by the "Beware of Alligators" sign.  I firmly believe that if you were to let a child that size swim around in that lake enough, he/she would get eaten.

clutch

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 27, 2012, 12:20:40 pm
About 12 years ago, I was reading the USA Today section that has news from each state, page three I think.  The Arkansas story was about a 12 foot gator found (run over?) on the highway near Egypt.  I was surprised by this.  Egypt is about 30 miles from the Missouri bootheel.  I had no idea they were that far north.

There have been a few found around Cash, which is pretty close to the Jonesboro area.

I used to work for a crop duster in the summer and we worked the area just south of Jonesboro. He came back one day and handed me his cell phone. He had just taken a picture of a big gator floating in a slough as  he flew over it.

PEtrader

Quote from: Hawgon on September 27, 2012, 01:27:11 pm
A month or two ago I saw some party barges taking out at the HW 71 bridge there on Little River.  There were two little girls running around the parking lot with them who looked to be five or six years old.  They both had on life vests and their hair looked to be wet.  I wonder if they let those little girls get in the water there?  You know, right there by the "Beware of Alligators" sign.  I firmly believe that if you were to let a child that size swim around in that lake enough, he/she would get eaten.

You could always get BPsTheMan to try this theory out for you.

In all seriousness, that is crazy though.  I had no idea there were so many gators in AR.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

deshahawg

I hope we don't ever get them where I live. I want nothing to do with an alligator where I hunt, fish or swim!

HogBreath

Quote from: Hawgon on September 27, 2012, 01:27:11 pm
We've seen Gators by the bunches right under the 71 bridge..just go nite fishing there, one nite I believe I counted 18, might have been the same ones... some of the time.  These were all smaller ones, 3 feet or so, we'd chase 'em with the trolling motor, make them suckers get gone fast.

proffitthog