Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We have our own "Catfish Hole" here in SW Ark

Started by labb, December 11, 2017, 10:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 08:32:45 am
You may be the biggest catfish I've caught in a while, goodguytex.
Oh no you didn't. I knew you were bull darnin. Which was why I was calling you out.

goodguytex

Quote from: Three and Snout on December 12, 2017, 08:37:00 am
He's not the sharpest barb in the mud.
You shouldn't be talking after some of the crap you've posted.

Ugly Uncle

When I was a kid living in Camden we had a fish place called "Hushpuppy."  Same group?

We also had a Fred's Catfish back the 80's and 90's in Jonesboro.

There is still a Fred's Catfish in Batesville.  It is pretty good.
Retired Radio Host

hawgon

Bream, crappie, and small bass are all better than catfish, but if you go out to eat fish, catfish it is.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 11:57:39 am
Oh no you didn't. I knew you were bull darnin. Which was why I was calling you out.

You got me. I've never ate the the fish bowl. I've never even been to Ashdown to my knowledge nor do I care to go there for any reason. If I did go I probably made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up there by mistake.

What I do know is the catfish there isn't as good as the catfish from the catfish hole and that is undisputed fact.  And I also know that they're not serving Red River catfish and even if they were I can't imagine anyone being able to tell the difference in pond raised v. river cats.  I'd guess the pond raised are probably better than the ones out of that nasty old Red River. While noodling there I've seen all kinds of trash and mess in there. 

The fish bowl is a second rate catfish eatery and folks who eat there unfortunately don't know any better.  They don't have too many options for catfish I guess. If someone is selling bone in mud cats deep fried and served up with a bowl of beans and cornbread then those poor folks are gonna have to like it or lump it. Hate to be this way with you this close to Christmas and certainly hate to start a catfish debate in mmqb when we have bigger fish to fry as far as recruiting and finding a defensive coordinator.

010HogFan

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 11, 2017, 03:00:46 pm
Westshore is on the river...Doc's is NOT on the river...it was formerly Hamm's.  What separates Doc's is the filets do NOT contain the grey fat portion.  Their fish does not come from the river!  The best place in SW Ark was a place called Spruell's on the Sulphur River(home to the Legend of Boggy Creek...monster).

Yeah I should have specified, Westshore is RIGHT on the river, and Doc's is down the road a bit. Both are A1!

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

cypert2

Get you some catfish steaks. Twice as good as fillets.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Three and Snout

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 02:15:14 pm
You got me. I've never ate the the fish bowl. I've never even been to Ashdown to my knowledge nor do I care to go there for any reason. If I did go I probably made a wrong turn somewhere and ended up there by mistake.

What I do know is the catfish there isn't as good as the catfish from the catfish hole and that is undisputed fact.  And I also know that they're not serving Red River catfish and even if they were I can't imagine anyone being able to tell the difference in pond raised v. river cats.  I'd guess the pond raised are probably better than the ones out of that nasty old Red River. While noodling there I've seen all kinds of trash and mess in there. 

The fish bowl is a second rate catfish eatery and folks who eat there unfortunately don't know any better.  They don't have too many options for catfish I guess. If someone is selling bone in mud cats deep fried and served up with a bowl of beans and cornbread then those poor folks are gonna have to like it or lump it. Hate to be this way with you this close to Christmas and certainly hate to start a catfish debate in mmqb when we have bigger fish to fry as far as recruiting and finding a defensive coordinator.
No. You're doing what you always do... Talking out your butt, and trying to act like you're an authority on something you've never even seen, been to, or eaten at. Typical you.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 06:14:31 pm
No. You're doing what you always do... Talking out your butt, and trying to act like you're an authority on something you've never even seen, been to, or eaten at. Typical you.

Sounds like I'm getting under your skin.

It also sounds like you need a personality transplant...Or maybe i need one. 

Either way you are really a sourpuss about catfish.  If Santa's watching,  and they says he's everywhere this time of year, I'd say you're getting yourself in a jam with him due to your bad attitude. 

I'm not you, thankfully, but if I was I'd be trying to mind my manners with Christmas right around the corner. 

Nothing personal by the way, but I hope santa leaves you a dead catfish in your stocking. 

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: swinemaster on December 11, 2017, 12:54:30 pm
Catfish is Catfish. Period.
Bullbutter. If you don't know how to cut that gland out of it, it can be down right nasty.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Aunt_Razorback

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 12, 2017, 07:08:03 pm
Bullbutter. If you don't know how to cut that gland out of it, it can be down right nasty.

Maybe that is my prob maybe I once ate a bad gland. 😉I love this board. I love how one post can start out as something else and then just evolve into something so far beyond what the original post was. I love yall 😎

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 12, 2017, 05:07:37 am
a place that serves frog legs as well as Catfish is TRUE Arkansas!!! YUM

The Fish Nest in Glenwood serves both on their "All You Can Eat" buffet on Friday nights.  I will be there on Dec 30th when I am in Arkansas.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

The OTR

Quote from: Aunt_Razorback on December 12, 2017, 07:15:41 pm
Maybe that is my prob maybe I once ate a bad gland. 😉I love this board. I love how one post can start out as something else and then just evolve into something so far beyond what the original post was. I love yall 😎

Everybody has an opinion on food.  If a thread has any chance to evolve into a food thread, it will. 

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 06:53:03 pm
Sounds like I'm getting under your skin.

It also sounds like you need a personality transplant...Or maybe i need one. 

Either way you are really a sourpuss about catfish.  If Santa's watching,  and they says he's everywhere this time of year, I'd say you're getting yourself in a jam with him due to your bad attitude. 

I'm not you, thankfully, but if I was I'd be trying to mind my manners with Christmas right around the corner. 

Nothing personal by the way, but I hope santa leaves you a dead catfish in your stocking.
And you're not getting under my skin. I'm actually bored with you. You're not even a skilled troll. More like bottom feeder troll.

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 08:18:52 pm
And you're not getting under my skin. I'm actually bored with you. You're not even a skilled troll. More like bottom feeder troll.

I'm new to the trolling business.  Maybe if I can hang around for a while I'll get the hang of it.

WorfHog

I'm glad the folks outside of NWA have stuff that makes life enjoyable.

fieldturf

One of the best places for catfish is just across the state line at Rock Island, Okla called "the Barn".  All you can eat with all the trimmings!!! It's just south of Pocola, Okla.

010HogFan

Mostly everyone I know that has been to catfish hole agrees that their fish isn't the best they've had, but the hushpuppies definitely are. Anyone going out of their way to crown their fish as the best in the universe just proves that some people have never left their little corner of the state and also that outliers exist, because honestly, to me, it's been very average every time I've had it. The service is great though!

The OTR

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 12, 2017, 09:43:49 pm
Mostly everyone I know that has been to catfish hole agrees that their fish isn't the best they've had, but the hushpuppies definitely are. Anyone going out of their way to crown their fish as the best in the universe just proves that some people have never left their little corner of the state and also that outliers exist, because honestly, to me, it's been very average every time I've had it. The service is great though!

I'll admit I ain't ever been anywhere...If ashdown is anywhere. 

prattville pig

the Hushpuppy in Camden on all you can eat crab leg night!!
Life's too short to last long.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: fieldturf on December 12, 2017, 09:11:44 pm
One of the best places for catfish is just across the state line at Rock Island, Okla called "the Barn".  All you can eat with all the trimmings!!! It's just south of Pocola, Okla.

Everything is better in Oklahoma.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 11, 2017, 12:50:15 pm
I did NOT want to get into this today but I'm all mixed up in another catfish debate so here goes.

The Red River is fine for noodling catfish. I've noodled a bunch of big flatheads out of the river and it's one of my favorite places to noodle.

Having said that all these places that serve catfish in TX and south Arkansas probably aren't getting them from the Red River.  Maybe some gas stations are but I doubt too many restaurants are. If you can provide proof that they are then I'll be a big enough man to come in here and say I'm wrong.

Catfish hole has the best catfish in the state. They may get a little cheap when they're handing out fries but I ain't ever ate a bad piece of catfish from the catfish hole and if you think CBB would have packed on 150 pounds eating Red River south Arkansas catfish you are delusional. He put on that solid weight loading up on the all you can eat catch at the catfish hole and I'll beg anyone's pardon for disagreeing with that statement.

Snappy catfish at the Flying Fish is hard to beat.  Only eaten in the one in Little Rock, so I can't testify about the one in Bentonville.

Also gotta toss in a vote for Fred's in Batesville and the Whippet in Prattsville.  Had to hold my nose to say something nice about Batesville.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

010HogFan

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 10:51:43 pm
I'll admit I ain't ever been anywhere...If ashdown is anywhere. 

one Hell of a paper mill down there and some good fishin

BorderPatrol

Seems oddly familiar. Speaking from experience?

bp

goodguytex

HoopS

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 12, 2017, 08:43:10 pm
I'm new to the trolling business.  Maybe if I can hang around for a while I'll get the hang of it.
this is accurate. True noodlers don't troll and if they try to, they end up in Ashdown or the like, eating fatty catfish.

AllenK

BK's between Hazen and Carlisle owns them all...... Headed there Saturday hopefully....
Not drinkin'the Kool-Aid...

HogBreath

Quote from: cypert2 on December 12, 2017, 05:13:27 pm
Get you some catfish steaks. Twice as good as fillets.
That's why everywhere serves fillets instead of steaks nowadays, because steaks are so much better.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The OTR

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2017, 08:18:52 pm

I hope you have cooled off about this catfish debate.  I like catfish as much as the next person but I don't like it enough to argue about it with somebody like yourself. 

I think you got a little bit out of line and probably owe a few folks an apology.  I know I'll accept one and if you do apologize and you and I ever end up in ashdown at the same time I'll happily buy you a lunch portion of mud cats with all the toxins (I wrote fixins but spell check changed it to toxins - seems appropriate) at the fish bowl. 

No reason to be this huffy around the holidays.  Most of us are in a good mood with the holidays around the corner.  And I want to apologize for saying I hope santa puts a dead catfish in your stocking.  I was slightly out of line myself for that comment.

Sooiepride

Y'all ain't tasted good fish til you've had a spoonful of the red strip from a white bass.
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

howie76

The thing about fish is nobody can cook it as good as it's cooked at the house. All the restaurants are scared of it not bn done in the middle and it's over cooked. So the center is good but that's it, both ends will be over cooked and to crispy.

TebowHater

The images posted in this thread make it clear we need more diversity on our staff. Would have liked to seen him keep Mike Smith.

majestic

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 13, 2017, 08:37:14 am
Snappy catfish at the Flying Fish is hard to beat.  Only eaten in the one in Little Rock, so I can't testify about the one in Bentonville.

Also gotta toss in a vote for Fred's in Batesville and the Whippet in Prattsville.  Had to hold my nose to say something nice about Batesville.
Batesville is a strange town. I'm here (there) now. I swear this town would be 50k plus if there was any good way to get here.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

jvanhorn

Quote from: ThinPiggy on December 11, 2017, 09:22:47 pm
Nick's BBQ in Carlisle (30 miles east of LR) has the best Catfish in the State of Arkansas. I'm kind of a catfish connoisseur.

I forgot about them.  I have eaten there several times on the way to Memphis.  They do have excellent catfish.

majestic

You are such a simpleton.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: majestic on December 13, 2017, 07:57:39 pm
Batesville is a strange town. I'm here (there) now. I swear this town would be 50k plus if there was any good way to get here.

You live here or just passing through?

I'll take you out to lunch some time if you are still around.

You are so right.  You kind of have to be going to Batesville to get to Batesville.
Retired Radio Host

LRHawg

Quote from: howie76 on December 13, 2017, 06:55:54 pm
The thing about fish is nobody can cook it as good as it's cooked at the house. All the restaurants are scared of it not bn done in the middle and it's over cooked. So the center is good but that's it, both ends will be over cooked and to crispy.

Amen.

goodguytex

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 13, 2017, 06:25:41 pm
I hope you have cooled off about this catfish debate.  I like catfish as much as the next person but I don't like it enough to argue about it with somebody like yourself. 

I think you got a little bit out of line and probably owe a few folks an apology.  I know I'll accept one and if you do apologize and you and I ever end up in ashdown at the same time I'll happily buy you a lunch portion of mud cats with all the toxins (I wrote fixins but spell check changed it to toxins - seems appropriate) at the fish bowl. 

No reason to be this huffy around the holidays.  Most of us are in a good mood with the holidays around the corner.  And I want to apologize for saying I hope santa puts a dead catfish in your stocking.  I was slightly out of line myself for that comment.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^       Bottom  feeder troll alert!!!

dqhog

Quote from: fieldturf on December 12, 2017, 09:11:44 pm

I've always wondered about that place.  I like to take a left at Acorn and drive up through Heavener and Poteau on my way to NWA.  I tell my wife every time we go by that I would like to eat at that place sometime. 

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: dqhog on December 14, 2017, 07:14:38 am
I've always wondered about that place.  I like to take a left at Acorn and drive up through Heavener and Poteau on my way to NWA.  I tell my wife every time we go by that I would like to eat at that place sometime.

Much better than the Catfish Hole.  Go for it next time you are nearby.

BallHog1

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on December 13, 2017, 06:25:41 pm

This is exactly the kind of forgiving spirit we need on Hogville. Too many hard feelings and too many people flying off the handle and saying/doing things that aren't necessary. Hopefully during this Christmas season more folks can reach out like Skandar did here and do the right thing.

Tex, we are waiting you you to make the next right move.

The Hawg Marshal

Catfish is just like any other food, it's subjective according to what the individual likes. But I will admit some is better than others.

goodguytex

Quote from: BallHog1 on December 14, 2017, 08:33:14 am
This is exactly the kind of forgiving spirit we need on Hogville. Too many hard feelings and too many people flying off the handle and saying/doing things that aren't necessary. Hopefully during this Christmas season more folks can reach out like Skandar did here and do the right thing.

Ok... I'll accept his apology. And I don't think I have anything to apologize for. I didn't start an argument about catfish. Neither did I start with the insults. That's on him. He's trolling hard so it is what it is.

cal34

Quote from: HoopS on December 12, 2017, 08:37:18 am
and that's saying something for a professional Noodler.

Unless he noodles those carpetbagger catfish.

majestic

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 13, 2017, 09:47:17 pm
You live here or just passing through?

I'll take you out to lunch some time if you are still around.

You are so right.  You kind of have to be going to Batesville to get to Batesville.

I'm in town on business. I normally come down once or twice each quarter. I'm taking my staff out for lunch or I'd take you up on your offer. Maybe next time? Why are you in Batesville, btw? 

The OTR

Quote from: BallHog1 on December 14, 2017, 08:33:14 am

Ballhog...I appreciate your efforts to broker peace between myself and goodguytex (that seems like an odd name for someone with such a sour attitude about catfish and everything else). 

We need more of this kind of good work in here.  There's a lot of raw feelings in MMQB, mostly caused by the following people in no particular order

Hoginmemphis
Pig in the pokey
goodguytex
Ponderin Hog
That new Baylor kid
Pork Rind Jimmy

It would be nice to get an apology from all these folks and go into the holidays with some peace and good will.  But I am doubtful that these folks believe they have done anything wrong so getting an apology out of them will be like getting blood from a turnip. 

I like catfish. In fact I ate a bit plate of catfish at Yesterday's in Morrilton Tuesday night, a place ballhog and I have broken bread together in the past.  It was pretty good catfish and I got a few big shrimps with that platter as well.  I do know it was better than anything served up by the fish bowl and it's not even in my top five catfish places around. 

It's sad that the people in South Arkansas don't know what good catfish is. It's funny in some ways but mostly it just makes me sad for them...and it's kind of funny too...but mostly sad.

If goodguytex would man up and apologize it would mean a lot to the people on this board looking for healing during this Christmas season.  Not going to hold my breath although I can hold my breath longer than most due to my extensive noodling experience. 

HoopS

Quote from: goodguytex on December 14, 2017, 09:19:42 am
Ok... I'll accept his apology. And I don't think I have anything to apologize for. I didn't start an argument about catfish. Neither did I start with the insults. That's on him. He's trolling hard so it is what it is.
did I hear "bah humbug"?

Skandar went above and beyond, imo. He even corrected the autocorrected "toxins" and that wasn't necessary.

I'm just shocked at how defensive some are over catfish.