Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB options

Started by PorkSoda, July 02, 2015, 03:37:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Of course everyone want Devin White, but if he falls through, who else is a viable option that could make an impact?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

http://247sports.com/Player/Devwah-Whaley-33409

looks like this guy is our other main target, but he is also leaning towards other schools.

Do you think RB is a must get in this class, or can we wait til next year depth wise?

I know we have a couple on campus, but if AC declares, we will could have a shortage of star power at RB next season.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rljjr

We need RBs now. It's a priority IMHO. I think it will always be a priority as long as CBB is here. I also have every confidence we'll get at least one great one in every class.

redeye

I think it's a must get.  We currently have Collins, JWill, Day, Evans, RWIII and McPherson.  JWill is a senior, so if we lose Collins, that leaves us with 4 next year.  It's a must get for depth purposes.

WorfHog

I expect our coaches to sign two 4/5 star running backs this season.

hogfan870

Quote from: WorfHog on July 02, 2015, 05:14:17 pm

I can't say that I expect it - but I do think it is what we need. 

Rivervalley Hog

I don't doubt CBB but if we miss out on Crockett it will be sad.  Great instate player. 

TheRazorback500

Quote from: WorfHog on July 02, 2015, 05:14:17 pm
I wonder who the five star would be? The only RB listed on Rivals is Kareem Walker of New Jersey. Whaley and White are 4-stars, with Pennamon not listed. Ironically, Crockett is listed higher than Whaley.

We badly need to sign at least 2 in this class. It's questionable that Day will work out, and McPherson and Evans aren't SEC caliber IMO.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

NLRHog92

Quote from: redeye on July 02, 2015, 03:57:43 pm
I think it's a must get.  We currently have Collins, JWill, Day, Evans, RWIII and McPherson.  JWill is a senior, so if we lose Collins, that leaves us with 4 next year.  It's a must get for depth purposes.

Don't forget about Walker! Also don't know how strong Day is going to come back. Still not sure of Evans' ability, behind 2 great ones. And I'm not sold on Collins leaving. I think he may want to be the feature back and possibly help his draft stock. Unfortunately, that's been trending in the wrong direction and unless he had a monster year, it probably wouldn't be worth. A degree might be though...

lumphog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 02, 2015, 03:42:33 pm
http://247sports.com/Player/Devwah-Whaley-33409

looks like this guy is our other main target, but he is also leaning towards other schools.

Do you think RB is a must get in this class, or can we wait til next year depth wise?

I know we have a couple on campus, but if AC declares, we will could have a shortage of star power at RB next season.
RW3 is gonna be a stud

bennyl08

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 02, 2015, 07:34:07 pm
Don't forget about Walker! Also don't know how strong Day is going to come back. Still not sure of Evans' ability, behind 2 great ones. And I'm not sold on Collins leaving. I think he may want to be the feature back and possibly help his draft stock. Unfortunately, that's been trending in the wrong direction and unless he had a monster year, it probably wouldn't be worth. A degree might be though...

Walker is a senior so he doesn't really factor in to next year's depth.

If Collins leaves next year, we basically only have Evans, Day, and RW3. Of that group, only RW3 has the speed to be the type of threat that Collins and and Williams are. I think any of those backs are capable of hitting 1000 yards. However, there are three types of 1000 yard backs. There's the type who will break an 80 yard gain on one carry and then get 15 yards over the other 15 carries, there's the type who when you need 1 yard will get you three, but when you need 5, he'll get you 3, and then there is the type who can get you three when you need one and can break the long run.

Day and Evans are more in the 3 yards getter types. Obviously that can't be taken literally because that is the same category that Broderick Greene was in and he has the record with a 99 yarder. However, in general, gaps where a back like him would hit a 15-25 yard gain, a running back like michael smith would get 40-50 yards. Neither Day nor Evans has the speed to be that type of threat and it remains to be seen if RW3 will have the toughness and strength to get 3 yards when we need one type of running. While neither Collins nor JWill have that elite end speed like a M. Smith or a Knile/Dmac, they are fast enough to qualify IMO for the balance back that can do both. If you had to err, it is generally better to err on the side of the consistent power back than the explosive scat back, but a "feature back" like JWill and Collins can hold their own vs both. We need to recruit someone who has those qualities IMO.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jackflash

In recruit RB is not a area I worry about. Look at what he had at Wisconsin, what he had at Arkansas.  Areas that I look at LB or DB. BB getting RB does not concern me one bit.

rljjr

Not a flame, just not sure I understand correctly WRT Collins. Are you saying the trend in splitting carries?  Output has not been diminished. Again, not a flame ... just trying to make sure I know what you're saying. Thanks! WPS.

redeye

I knew I was forgetting someone!  I copied the names off our roster and I bet it hasn't been updated in a while, so Walker's probably listed as a FB.  Unfortunately, as benny noted, he's a senior.

I'm not sure Collins will leave early, either, but we still need to prepare for it.  Fortunately, RB is a position where you can play freshmen and I'm sure that plays a part on why we're somewhat thin there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rljjr on July 02, 2015, 08:22:43 pm
Not a flame, just not sure I understand correctly WRT Collins. Are you saying the trend in splitting carries?  Output has not been diminished. Again, not a flame ... just trying to make sure I know what you're saying. Thanks! WPS.
I think he meant the trend of leaving early vs staying for their senior year to try and improve thier stock.

PorkSoda

Quote from: lumphog on July 02, 2015, 07:53:24 pm
RW3 is gonna be a stud

I agree, but I don't think he will be an every down back.

I think with the system and O-line, a decent back with be productive, but I'd feel a lot better if we had a true blue chip that defenses had to respect.

NLRHog92

Quote from: rljjr on July 02, 2015, 08:22:43 pm

Referencing the trend of running backs getting drafted high. Rams got Gurley in Top 10 despite him being injured, but that's the type of rare talent he has. In recent years, RBs have been picked later than what their talent and production showed, so many (like AC) may choose to bypass Senior year if he's in a good spot draft wise to not get as banged up or risk injury. But he could also genuinely WANT to come back for another year and be THE guy. Regardless, it's all speculation, I just find it to be an interesting debate.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Evans Slow..? check out the 3:35 mark

Looks more like he's fast to me...

BUT RWII has two extra gears... DANG..!

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ap89

Looks like RWIII is a tough runner with speed. I like it. But does he challenge for playing time this fall, or does he redshirt? That's the big question. I'm jacked for the season to get rolling. GHG

OnTheHillHogFan

Kody Walker is going to apply for a 6th year of eligibility.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

WildRazorback

Quote from: ap89 on July 02, 2015, 10:47:13 pm
Looks like RWIII is a tough runner with speed. I like it. But does he challenge for playing time this fall, or does he redshirt? That's the big question. I'm jacked for the season to get rolling. GHG

Unless we have some real injury problems there is no real chance that RW3 sees the field next season. He has the makings of a good back, but our 3 headed monster (who might all be gone in 2016) will be enough to get us through 2015. We will absolutely need him in 2016 with 4 years of eligibility left. A redshirt would only help him, and he signed here knowing the odds of playing as a true freshman. He will get his carries, but not in 2015. If anyone had doubts about our rushing attack, I think that Kody Walker silenced them. He might even take some playing time away from AC. I think Walker, as a senior, has a lot to prove and it would shock me if he isn't drafted in 2016. I see potential in him.

WildRazorback

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 02, 2015, 11:37:37 pm

This would be huge.. Let's hope he gets it!

Hawgzinbowlz

Not being a SA but what is your source? I really like KW.

We need two top tier RB and our level of success this coming season will help determine which ones we get. If we win 9+ CBB/Staff will be able to sell The Hogs at a high level. 8 wins still establishes progress. I think DW, along with other RBs, wants to see our play this year to see if we are actually on the upswing...I think we are and we'll get the RBs we need (and someone may come out of left field, given CBBs track record).

" GO HOGS "

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 03, 2015, 08:03:10 am
Not being a SA but what is your source? I really like KW.

We need two top tier RB and our level of success this coming season will help determine which ones we get. If we win 9+ CBB/Staff will be able to sell The Hogs at a high level. 8 wins still establishes progress. I think DW, along with other RBs, wants to see our play this year to see if we are actually on the upswing...I think we are and we'll get the RBs we need (and someone may come out of left field, given CBBs track record).

" GO HOGS "
Kody Walker
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

As I posted elsewhere, and believe it deserves mention again:

WRs and RBs are the easiest freshmen to get on the field, and are in the greatest abundance on the recruiting trail, of any position. UA's recruiting weaknesses over the years (DT, LT, MLB, lockdown CB) hint at the opposite end of the spectrum.

The staff will find players who fit the profile and system, AND are able to contribute quickly (in their projections). PlayerS.

I really am not all that worried - Singleton consistently put a stream of impact RB on the field at Okie State where he did not enjoy the recruiting perks that UA enjoys.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

deedster84

RW III was a steal. Don't overlook this kid. And if Day can get healthy??

bennyl08

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 02, 2015, 10:17:11 pm
Evans Slow..? check out the 3:35 mark

Looks more like he's fast to me...

BUT RWII has two extra gears... DANG..!

You have to take into account that the player is going against HS competition, not SEC. The best method I've come up with to attempt to remove some of the subjectivity to is when judging speed to simply ignore the other players and watch his movement wrt the field.

In that regard, he is noticeably slower than our current bellcows. I mean, I guess I shouldn't label him as "slow" but instead average. In the realm of running backs, he is not fast. IDK, as I've said before, Evans is the type of guy that has no weaknesses as a running back, but doesn't seem to have any strengths either. If you were to take every running back in the country and average them together, Evans would come out. Which is certainly not a bad thing. I mean, of all the backs going to college for free, he is probably better than half of them physically. Add in his mentality and knowledge of how we do things at arky and I'd take him over well over half the other backs in the country.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tusksincolorado

That would be FANATASTIC!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

secneahog

Jwill. KW. AC will all be leaving ...

Leaves us with Rw3. Juan Day. Evans.   Juan is coming off a second knee injury.

We need 3 rbs. I think we take 3.

Whaley.
Then Pennamon jumps on board..
We take the best option late in Crockett.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

NLRHog92

Quote from: secneahog on July 05, 2015, 10:13:44 am
Jwill. KW. AC will all be leaving ...

Leaves us with Rw3. Juan Day. Evans.   Juan is coming off a second knee injury.

We need 3 rbs. I think we take 3.

Whaley.
Then Pennamon jumps on board..
We take the best option late in Crockett.

Don't see that happening.

secneahog

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 05, 2015, 01:34:31 pm
Don't see that happening.

The amount of rbs?   The names?   What part? 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

jgphillips3

There is no way RWIII red shirts this year barring injury. JWill is gone and there's a 50/50 chance, give or take, that AC will be gone.  RWIII needs carries this year to be ready for next year.

NLRHog92

Quote from: secneahog on July 05, 2015, 02:33:09 pm
The amount of rbs?   The names?   What part?

Not bashing, just have a varying opinion on the matter. Just don't think Collins is NFL-ready yet, and won't have the chance to undoubtedly prove that he is because he'll again be splitting the carries. I do like that you left out White because it does seem that we're behind in that race and he'll announce within the coming months. I like the names you put out there, but it's hard to see us landing Crockett if we haven't offered at this point. Obviously late offers and subsequent signings happen all the time, but he's in state and at a position of need, so coaches must not be sold. And Crockett very well may be more interested in the teams that HAVE offered and recruited him. Pennamon and Whaley are guesses at this point, but I don't see both happening and therefore we would have to look elsewhere for at least 1 other back. Also not sold on the 3 RB number, not because I don't think that we need it, but because we may not have room. Something drastic could happen, like more turnover next offseason than we've seen under CBB, which would possibly lead to more signings. There will be more names at RB to come, no doubt.

razorhog52

We need 3 in my opinion. RW III is a good one but with Day questionable I'm nervous about depth. I think RB is one of the easier recruiting positions to evaluate. dMAc 5 star, Felix 4, Knile 4, JWill 4, AC 5 v. 4. Yes there are busts and diamonds but we need Hammonds and 2 stud every down backs. With our offense and OL we should pull it out. We are in on a few big ones. And remember, at this time we weren't on AC radar (at least as far as recruiting sites go).

Steef

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 05, 2015, 05:06:22 pm
Not bashing, just have a varying opinion on the matter. Just don't think Collins is NFL-ready yet, and won't have the chance to undoubtedly prove that he is because he'll again be splitting the carries. I do like that you left out White because it does seem that we're behind in that race and he'll announce within the coming months. I like the names you put out there, but it's hard to see us landing Crockett if we haven't offered at this point. Obviously late offers and subsequent signings happen all the time, but he's in state and at a position of need, so coaches must not be sold. And Crockett very well may be more interested in the teams that HAVE offered and recruited him. Pennamon and Whaley are guesses at this point, but I don't see both happening and therefore we would have to look elsewhere for at least 1 other back. Also not sold on the 3 RB number, not because I don't think that we need it, but because we may not have room. Something drastic could happen, like more turnover next offseason than we've seen under CBB, which would possibly lead to more signings. There will be more names at RB to come, no doubt.

This post perfectly illustrates how to critique "objectively" (an over used and misunderstood word).

Without bashing anyone.

+1

secneahog

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 05, 2015, 05:06:22 pm

Kody Walker will be gone also. I think the # on AC is 60/40 on leaving.

This is a forum. We discuss...not argue/fight.

Us having Crockett at camp knowing we wouldn't offer him tells me something.
BB talked to crockett and his parents and they came away happy with the situation.

I could see us taking 3 if there was a perfect storm on AC leaving and Juan day not bouncing back from 2nd knee surgery.

Leaves us with Denzell Evans and RW3.  You think that is enough starter bodies in our schedule?

Tj hammonds could play rb more then we know.  Then two more rbs.

At the end the staff will take the best prospect. Instate or not.

NLRHog92

Quote from: razorhog52 on July 05, 2015, 05:13:42 pm
We need 3 in my opinion. RW III is a good one but with Day questionable I'm nervous about depth. I think RB is one of the easier recruiting positions to evaluate. dMAc 5 star, Felix 4, Knile 4, JWill 4, AC 5 v. 4. Yes there are busts and diamonds but we need Hammonds and 2 stud every down backs. With our offense and OL we should pull it out. We are in on a few big ones. And remember, at this time we weren't on AC radar (at least as far as recruiting sites go).

I agree and am worried about being absolutely depleted next year, and I'm not sure of all the offers we've put out as far as RB goes, but it would seem we would be hearing more if we were taking 3. It's not as if they haven't done their scouting and scoped the country, but as far as offering them or at least getting feedback, it's been quiet. They're being selective, which infers that the numbers may not be there and may not be taking more than 2. And if they were, I feel as though 1 would be committed by now. Every RB that is serious about their game should at least be looking at what they could do here. With that being said, I have confidence in these coaches that they will find someone who will be successful here.

lefty08

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 05, 2015, 06:03:27 pm
I agree and am worried about being absolutely depleted next year, and I'm not sure of all the offers we've put out as far as RB goes, but it would seem we would be hearing more if we were taking 3. It's not as if they haven't done their scouting and scoped the country, but as far as offering them or at least getting feedback, it's been quiet. They're being selective, which infers that the numbers may not be there and may not be taking more than 2. And if they were, I feel as though 1 would be committed by now. Every RB that is serious about their game should at least be looking at what they could do here. With that being said, I have confidence in these coaches that they will find someone who will be successful here.

The lack of offers actually makes me feel better about the situation at RB
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

secneahog

What we do know is that BB would love to have 4 stud rbs.
He had that at Wisconsin. Likes to brag about those days were his rbs went for almost 4000 yards.

AC..Jwill..two studs for him. Gambled on korliss and it didn't work out. KW came around later then sooner.

That leaves us with RW3. Denzell. Juan day. Two of those 3 are questionable.

That leaves 1 potential star. If the other two remain questionable.

We need more bodies..1 more AC type star =Whaley.
1 more Jwill = pennamon.
One questionable risk in Crockett. I just can't look away from crockett because of what went down at the camp.

That group would equal the Jwill. AC. KW. Korliss. Evans. Day. Combo we once had.

I think the wait for all the pieces falls on Devin White. We want him so bad that we are slow playing the rb situation. I think if we win over white overtime that we would drop 1 of the three and sign two studs.
Pennamon is waiting for a commitment from Devin or some kind of reinsurance from the staff.

I believe pennamon is a silent commit. I think he would have went to A&M if he was going there. I think that's why he told Arkansas fans to relax that its all going to be fine.

jgphillips3

We all know the staff is cautious with in State offers.  I suspect we have told Crockett that we have three RB's on the board with commitable offers and one of them must turn us down before we can offer him (like White, Whaley, Pennamon).  Given that it is almost impossible that we get all three, we can safely tell Crockett that he will get an offer when the first of those three balks and we have probably told him a date we will know by.

SoonerSooie

Can someone give us an objective (well, as much as possible) assessment of Crockett? I always pull for instate talent to get a scholly, but, I know virtually nothing of his skill set. Discussion above seemed-- if I read it correctly - to suggest that when he attended camp that the coaches really liked him and gave him some kind of private assurances.
Just looking to know a bit more about him, his skills, etc..

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: SoonerSooie on July 06, 2015, 08:00:23 am
Can someone give us an objective (well, as much as possible) assessment of Crockett? I always pull for instate talent to get a scholly, but, I know virtually nothing of his skill set. Discussion above seemed-- if I read it correctly - to suggest that when he attended camp that the coaches really liked him and gave him some kind of private assurances.

Check this out for yourself...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2625784/highlights/195394391/v2
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

WooPig90

1. White
2.Whaley
3. Pennamon
4. Crockett

secneahog

Quote from: SoonerSooie on July 06, 2015, 08:00:23 am

I like Crockett. But whaley and white are big time. 

trashcan maN

No one ever talks about TJ Hammonds. Kid got a very early committable offer, and he's going to play RB. I think we take two more - probably a bigtime guy and Crockett - to give us 3 RBs for this class.

If Alex and/or Walker come back next year, it will be icing on the cake.

trashcan maN

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 04, 2015, 02:47:40 am
You have to take into account that the player is going against HS competition, not SEC.
*mind blown*

NLRHog92

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 06, 2015, 12:55:10 pm
No one ever talks about TJ Hammonds. Kid got a very early committable offer, and he's going to play RB. I think we take two more - probably a bigtime guy and Crockett - to give us 3 RBs for this class.

If Alex and/or Walker come back next year, it will be icing on the cake.

Not so sure he'll play RB. I think he may see some time in the backfield and get tosses and sweeps, but he may not be big enough to continually get carries. I do love his game though, glad we got him

Huds_HawgTide

i think he will do punt returns, kickoffs, slot
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

secneahog

5'11 195 still in high school isn't small...