Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Mizzou loses tonight we are tied for 4th in SEC

Started by -Blu, February 22, 2014, 05:31:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks

Who, would have ever thought we'd be in this position 3 weeks ago.  We'll be in 6-way tie for 4th tonight if Mizz losses, and we have the most favorable remaining schedule of all the teams in the tie. 

Locutus_of_Boar

And if Vandy beats Auburn there will be a 7-way tie for 4th place.

Dirty

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

JonClaudeVanHam

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

alaback

Quote from: -Blu on February 22, 2014, 05:31:38 pm
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/8/arkansas-razorbacks

Who, would have ever thought we'd be in this position 3 weeks ago.  We'll be in 6-way tie for 4th tonight if Mizz losses, and we have the most favorable remaining schedule of all the teams in the tie. 

Tennessee has the most favorable schedule.  I would say ours is after that.

-Blu

Quote from: alaback on February 22, 2014, 05:47:23 pm
Tennessee has the most favorable schedule.  I would say ours is after that.

Yea, just took a look at it again, your right.  @Aub and @Miss State should be wins, but Mizz will be a tough game, and Vandy always brings it as well.  But, yea that is easier than our remaining schedule.

alaback

Games for Mizzou @Alabama, @Georgia, and @UT will move them out.

The_Iceman

Razor6

I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

greasy_corner

All Bleed Red

Mizzou about to lose. Great day for hogs with other SEC bubble teams losing. Now if we can just keep getting W's...

Athog

Jek Tono Porkins

Mizzou is going to lose this one. Damn it feels good watching Mizzou lose.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

micali

Hogwildtwo

Tied for fourth wow !!! We have a real shot at the NCAA now !!! We are in control of our own destiny and thats all we can ask !!!  :razorback:

The_Iceman

That Bama game to close out the year is looking a little tougher. Hope they don't get 29pts from a 8ppg player against us. It'll be senior night for them and I'm sure Releford will try to go for 30pts.

razorJAcker

Has anyone ever done less with more than Frank Haith at Mizzou?  In a guard-driven NCAA, he has 3 great ones and can manage no better than 7-7 in an average conference.

WxHog

It just happened. 

With 7 teams now tied for 4th place, what would be the tiebreakers for determining seeds 4-10 in SEC Tournament? 

Since Missouri swept us, is there still any hope for getting the 4 seed double bye if we are in a multiple team tie for 4th place that would include us, Missouri and several other teams?

Hogwildtwo

Quote from: WxHog on February 22, 2014, 09:11:47 pm
It just happened. 

With 7 teams now tied for 4th place, what would be the tiebreakers for determining seeds 4-10 in SEC Tournament? 

Since Missouri swept us, is there still any hope for getting the 4 seed double bye if we are in a multiple team tie for 4th place that would include us, Missouri and several other teams?

Still a lot of Ball to be played it won't end like this.  :razorback:

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: WxHog on February 22, 2014, 09:11:47 pm
It just happened. 

I kind of want the sixth seed.  That means first game we'd play a team in the pack and the second game we'd play the third seed, probably Georgia or Tennessee, I think that's a formula for two wins in the SEC-t.

razorJAcker

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on February 22, 2014, 09:17:45 pm
I kind of want the sixth seed.  That means first game we'd play a team in the pack and the second game we'd play the third seed, probably Georgia or Tennessee, I think that's a formula for two wins in the SEC-t.

Yeah, it's an odd situation.  I think the 5 or 6 seed would be best but at the same time I hope we win all of our remaining games.  If we did that, we'd probably have the 4 seed.

thirtythree

we do not want the double bye. we need wins to bolster the record to be more attractive.

Danny J

Quote from: thirtythree on February 22, 2014, 09:22:06 pm
we do not want the double bye. we need wins to bolster the record to be more attractive.
I agree. I think the best we can do from here on out is finish 5th and that is really the best spot for us. Even if we lose to UK and win out and finish 10-8 and looking at all the other teams in the 7 way tie and their schedule we are likely not going to finish better than 5th.

code red

In reality there is only one way we will get in the NCAA.  The losses today only cheapen the SEC.  I think they only take 2 teams.  We must beat UK at UK that would separate us from the pack.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Danny J

Quote from: code red on February 22, 2014, 09:32:15 pm
In reality there is only one way we will get in the NCAA.  The losses today only cheapen the SEC.  I think they only take 2 teams.  We must beat UK at UK that would separate us from the pack.
The SEC is better than most think. The likely #1 team in the nation come Monday will be UF. They almost lost to us, they almost lost at home to Auburn, had a close game down to the wire at UT, UK and Ole Miss. The same goes for UK. Two teams projected in easily and one a overall #1 seed and the other a likely 4 seed and are struggling against all these .500 SEC teams. UK had to have a buzzer beater today at home in OT to beat LSU...another .500 SEC team.

The SEC right now is better than we have been in 5 years. If we only get two teams in it will be the first time since the early 70's when there were fewer teams. The conference would be robbed by media pundits around the country all agreeing with each other. They decide the SEC is bad so it must be bad.

dgfclt

Quote from: All Bleed Red on February 22, 2014, 09:03:54 pm
Mizzou about to lose. Great day for hogs with other SEC bubble teams losing. Now if we can just keep getting W's...

We are not competing against SEC bubble teams.  Bubble teams in general are the competition.  Doesn't matter where one finishes in this conference it is RPI, BPI, SOS bad losses and good wins.  Look at last year's standings as an example.
UF went.  Ole Miss wouldn't have been in if they hadn't gotten the automatic bid, Bama NIT, UK NIT, Mizzou NCAA.  So #1, 2 and 5 made it.

t e   Conf           Overall
Team   W       L       PCT           W       L       PCT
#14 Florida   14   –   4       .778           29   –   8       .784
Ole Miss †   12   –   6       .667           27   –   9       .750
Alabama   12   –   6       .667           23   –   13       .639
Kentucky   12   –   6       .667           21   –   12       .636
Missouri   11   –   7       .611           23   –   11       .676
Tennessee   11   –   7       .611           20   –   13       .606
Arkansas   10   –   8       .556           19   –   13       .594
LSU   9   –   9       .500           19   –   12       .613
Georgia   9   –   9       .500           15   –   17       .469
Vanderbilt   8   –   10       .444           16   –   17       .485
Texas A&M   7   –   11       .389           18   –   15       .545
South Carolina   4   –   14       .222           14   –   18       .438
Mississippi State   4   –   14       .222           10   –   22       .313
Auburn   3   –   15       .167           9   –   23       .281
† 2013 SEC Tournament winner
As of March 31, 2013; Rankings from AP Poll

Hogwildtwo

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 22, 2014, 09:37:57 pm
The SEC is better than most think. The likely #1 team in the nation come Monday will be UF. They almost lost to us, they almost lost at home to Auburn, had a close game down to the wire at UT, UK and Ole Miss. The same goes for UK. Two teams projected in easily and one a overall #1 seed and the other a likely 4 seed and are struggling against all these .500 SEC teams. UK had to have a buzzer beater today at home in OT to beat LSU...another .500 SEC team.

The SEC right now is better than we have been in 5 years. If we only get two teams in it will be the first time since the early 70's when there were fewer teams. The conference would be robbed by media pundits around the country all agreeing with each other. They decide the SEC is bad so it must be bad.

Too much envy for our football programs.  :razorback:

-Blu

Quote from: dgfclt on February 22, 2014, 09:54:50 pm
We are not competing against SEC bubble teams.  Bubble teams in general are the competition.

This is true, but I think it's easier to keep up with the bubble teams in our league because we are familiar with them.  Mizzou, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, are all bubble teams that happen to be in the SEC.

mhuff

Quote from: thirtythree on February 22, 2014, 09:22:06 pm

Right on brother +1

Fayettechill14

Mizzou fans ready to fire Haith. They are up in arms on Tigerboard.

311Hog

i think the SEC gets 3 teams, log jam for that 3rd spot right now.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on February 23, 2014, 01:06:37 am
i think the SEC gets 3 teams, log jam for that 3rd spot right now.

I think you need to listen to the ESPN gurus. Some are saying the SEC could get 5 in but most are saying 4. I've not heard any say only 3.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on February 23, 2014, 01:04:03 am
Mizzou fans ready to fire Haith. They are up in arms on Tigerboard.

Where are the good ole Mizzou fans lately? Mike built their program, only to have Haith tear it down.

But hey, they all say "We're glad you took Mike from us."

Wild Bill Hog

311Hog

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on February 23, 2014, 08:04:30 am
I think you need to listen to the ESPN gurus. Some are saying the SEC could get 5 in but most are saying 4. I've not heard any say only 3.

espin gurus often don't know their ace from a hole in the ground.  sure it could be possible to get more than 3 especially if some one surprises and wins the SECT that isn't suppose to  IE anyone other than Florida or Kentucky would maybe take a 4th spot i just wouldn't count on it.

I am looking at it from the best chance for AR, and that would be to face Missou or Tenner after 1st round bye and beat them for the 3rd spot would all but assure at least to me a spot in the big dance.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 23, 2014, 08:09:30 am
Where are the good ole Mizzou fans lately? Mike built their program, only to have Haith tear it down.

But hey, they all say "We're glad you took Mike from us."

Still here.  Mike didn't build anything at Missouri, we have always been an established basketball brand hence why we suck this year (on Haith not on the kids) and are still in the conversation for the tournament.  He did have one exceptional year at Missouri otherwise, just like at AR, he didn't do hasn't done much.  Have you ever looked at his record during his tenure?  I speak only for me, but I didn't shed any years when Mike left; I didn't like the hire because historically he is strictly a style coach.  I have said on here that I wasn't all that thrilled that they fired Quinn although I understand why they did it.  That being said, Mike has finally shown some flashes of making in game adjustments and maybe he is the guy to bring you all back.  Will be good for SEC hoops if he does.

opineonswine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 23, 2014, 04:30:39 pm
Still here.  Mike didn't build anything at Missouri, we have always been an established basketball brand hence why we suck this year (on Haith not on the kids) and are still in the conversation for the tournament.  He did have one exceptional year at Missouri otherwise, just like at AR, he didn't do hasn't done much.  Have you ever looked at his record during his tenure?  I speak only for me, but I didn't shed any years when Mike left; I didn't like the hire because historically he is strictly a style coach.  I have said on here that I wasn't all that thrilled that they fired Quinn although I understand why they did it.  That being said, Mike has finally shown some flashes of making in game adjustments and maybe he is the guy to bring you all back.  Will be good for SEC hoops if he does.

You funny.  Mizzou was bottom of the barrel under Quinn.  He had cool hair though.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: opineonswine on February 23, 2014, 04:32:26 pm
You funny.  Mizzou was bottom of the barrel under Quinn.  He had cool hair though.

They were?  He went to an elite 8, how is that bottom of the barrel?

Horsesrus

TheOtherColombia

Screwdriver

Nipsey Mussle

I think it was a different mizzou poster who argued with me after our game when I said we were trending up while you guys were trending down. I think I've been proved right on that. You guys have 0 team chemistry while our team is really coming together. There is no way a good coach would be 7-7 in the SEC with 3 players as good as Ross, Clarkson, and Brown. If Brown/Clarkson stay for next yr, you guys will have 1 more "good" yr under Haith. If they decide to leave, it will become the end of the Quinn era all over again for the remainder of Haith's stay.

A couple years ago Mizzou fans were intolerable on this board, up until they got beaten by 15 seed norfolk st., that is. Now you guys are pretty humble.

Danny J

Arguably the best 3 guards in the SEC and probably best combo of 1-3 in the nation and 7-7 is the best he can do? These are all seasoned and experienced players not freshman. Haith is going to completely tear your program apart and we said as much when he was hired. They are consistently getting worse and we are consistently improving. Mizzou made the wrong choice in hiring Haith and if not for the NCAA screwing up the investigation down in Miami he would have already been gone and you would likely have a much better coach. You really need to blame the NCAA for this mess your program is currently in.  ;)

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 23, 2014, 04:53:11 pm
I think it was a different mizzou poster who argued with me after our game when I said we were trending up while you guys were trending down. I think I've been proved right on that. You guys have 0 team chemistry while our team is really coming together. There is no way a good coach would be 7-7 in the SEC with 3 players as good as Ross, Clarkson, and Brown. If Brown/Clarkson stay for next yr, you guys will have 1 more "good" yr under Haith. If they decide to leave, it will become the end of the Quinn era all over again for the remainder of Haith's stay.

A couple years ago Mizzou fans were intolerable on this board, up until they got beaten by 15 seed norfolk st., that is. Now you guys are pretty humble.

Haith has the same problem that we saw with Mike during his tenure.  Not much of an in game coach.  Mike does seem, finally, to be making changes now.  The only boost we got with Haith was in recruiting.  He, or really Fuller, is one heck of a recruiter.  I just don't know how I feel about Haith coaching the guys up during game situations.  Clarkson and Brown are no doubt very good players, but we need to stop with the transfers and build some continuity in the program.

Lately we have been one and done, but instead of with super talented freshman, like Kentucky, we do it with solid upperclassman.  I don't think either way is a recipe for success because the kids don't spend enough time in the program to learn the nuances. 

Starting with the freshman from this year, and with the class coming in next year I think Missouri will have some really good pieces in place to build on.  However I just don't know if Haith can get it done.  It is one thing to be one of the better coaches in the history of Miami with 0 basketball history or tradition, it is quite another to be a middling coach at a program who has some tradition and some expectations.  IF they decide to get rid of Haith, I sincerely hope they give Fuller a shot. 

I agree that Arkansas has gotten hot at the right time, but for right now it is just hot at the right time, a few games does not a trend make.  I disagree that Missouri is trending down, I think we are basically flat, neither rising or falling, and for me that isn't acceptable.  I don't expect NC every year but getting into the tournament every year and getting a nice seed and making a nice run once in awhile shouldn't be that difficult.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Screwdriver on February 23, 2014, 04:52:19 pm

Instead of calling names, why not discuss like other posters.  What exactly did I say that was dumb? 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 23, 2014, 04:56:06 pm
Arguably the best 3 guards in the SEC and probably best combo of 1-3 in the nation and 7-7 is the best he can do? These are all seasoned and experienced players not freshman. Haith is going to completely tear your program apart and we said as much when he was hired. They are consistently getting worse and we are consistently improving. Mizzou made the wrong choice in hiring Haith and if not for the NCAA screwing up the investigation down in Miami he would have already been gone and you would likely have a much better coach. You really need to blame the NCAA for this mess your program is currently in.  ;)

We haven't hit mess just yet, I blame Alden

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 23, 2014, 05:06:01 pm
Haith has the same problem that we saw with Mike during his tenure.  Not much of an in game coach.  Mike does seem, finally, to be making changes now.  The only boost we got with Haith was in recruiting.  He, or really Fuller, is one heck of a recruiter.  I just don't know how I feel about Haith coaching the guys up during game situations.  Clarkson and Brown are no doubt very good players, but we need to stop with the transfers and build some continuity in the program.

Lately we have been one and done, but instead of with super talented freshman, like Kentucky, we do it with solid upperclassman.  I don't think either way is a recipe for success because the kids don't spend enough time in the program to learn the nuances. 

Starting with the freshman from this year, and with the class coming in next year I think Missouri will have some really good pieces in place to build on.  However I just don't know if Haith can get it done.  It is one thing to be one of the better coaches in the history of Miami with 0 basketball history or tradition, it is quite another to be a middling coach at a program who has some tradition and some expectations.  IF they decide to get rid of Haith, I sincerely hope they give Fuller a shot. 

I agree that Arkansas has gotten hot at the right time, but for right now it is just hot at the right time, a few games does not a trend make.  I disagree that Missouri is trending down, I think we are basically flat, neither rising or falling, and for me that isn't acceptable.  I don't expect NC every year but getting into the tournament every year and getting a nice seed and making a nice run once in awhile shouldn't be that difficult.
That's a nice post, I agree with you. Not sure if you were here, but the number of Mizzou posters were about 100 to 1 what they are this season. And many of us Hog fans told them the great (not counting being ousted by norfolk st) 1st season under Haith was merely an aberration and you guys wouldn't have another season like that under him. Also said, the further you guys got away from MA's tenure the worse you would be under Haith and iirc, you guys have gotten worse each season.

You're a reasonable person/fan (we don't get much of that from our own fans) but I'm just letting you know why you might catch a lot more flak than you deserve. Those Mizzou people who were guaranteeing us that Haith was the savior haven't exactly been present much lately.

Good luck at UGA, previous results say otherwise, but I have a feeling you guys will win that one.

opineonswine

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on February 23, 2014, 04:34:08 pm
They were?  He went to an elite 8, how is that bottom of the barrel?

uhhh...he got fired.  Look it up.  You've probably forgotten.