Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB's Strategy.....?

Started by LZH, February 04, 2017, 10:52:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

southeasthog

Quote from: Steef on February 05, 2017, 04:29:19 pm

I hope Bret proves me wrong. I really do.

Well.....You haven't started calling him B ert yet so I know you are keeping an open mind. :)

Steef

Quote from: southeasthog on February 06, 2017, 05:13:25 am
Well.....You haven't started calling him B ert yet so I know you are keeping an open mind. :)

LOL

No...
1. I'm not going to disrespect him personally. That belittles him, me and this board. It's also a stupid way to debate any point.
2. I LIKE...the guy. I want him to succeed for our sake and his.
3. I also like the fact that he & Jeff hold fast to the concept that we are a school first and a sports haven second.
4. I don't  EXPECT him to win Atlanta. Not with so many cheaters recruiting in our neighborhood.
5. I do expect him to make the most of the resources at his disposal.

But I believe 2016 showed really poor coaching from the top down. Long term mistakes. And i believe he needs to learn from those mistakes QUICKLY. The season itself did not exhibit...imo...any learning curve.

southeasthog

Quote from: Steef on February 06, 2017, 05:50:29 am
LOL

No...
1. I'm not going to disrespect him personally. That belittles him, me and this board. It's also a stupid way to debate any point.
3. I also like the fact that he & Jeff hold fast to the concept that we are a school first and a sports haven second.
4. I don't  EXPECT him to win Atlanta. Not with so many cheaters recruiting in our neighborhood.

But I believe 2016 showed really poor coaching from the top down. Long term mistakes. And i believe he needs to learn from those mistakes QUICKLY. The season itself did not exhibit...imo...any learning curve.

I agree with most of this. I do expect to get to Atlanta at some point. Might not happen. If he can't do that eventually then he will need to be replaced. The collapse at the end of this season needs to be a real eye opener for Beliema. As Biggus or Wilson posted, "I wish we would stop coming out after halftime trying to run out the clock."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: southeasthog on February 06, 2017, 06:00:51 am
I agree with most of this. I do expect to get to Atlanta at some point. Might not happen. If he can't do that eventually then he will need to be replaced. The collapse at the end of this season needs to be a real eye opener for Beliema. As Biggus or Wilson posted, "I wish we would stop coming out after halftime trying to run out the clock."

If we make it to Atlanta for the SECCG it will be because the current hierarchy in terms of coaching in the SEC has changed or the ball just bounced our way at key moments in key games. I would love it, but like Steef, I don't have lofty expectations of that happening. You could hire Bill Belichick as the HC at Arkansas and short of what I mentioned above, it still probably wouldn't happen.

Given the Division that we play in and the competition that we typically face I'll be happy if we play very competitively and tough, don't get blown out when we do get beaten, don't blow big leads and occasionally win 10-11 games, stick to 6-7 games on the low end and more often than not wind up winning 8-9 regular season games most every year. All this while recruiting good to great student athletes that not only play well, but are good in the classroom and maintain a higher standard of character on and off the field. As long as we stay out of the dirty end of the recruiting cesspool, this is the best we can hope for playing in the SEC West. That's just the reality of our situation IMO.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2017, 06:36:31 am
If we make it to Atlanta for the SECCG it will be because the current hierarchy in terms of coaching in the SEC has changed or the ball just bounced our way at key moments in key games. I would love it, but like Steef, I don't have lofty expectations of that happening. You could hire Bill Belichick as the HC at Arkansas and short of what I mentioned above, it still probably wouldn't happen.

Given the Division that we play in and the competition that we typically face I'll be happy if we play very competitively and tough, don't get blown out when we do get beaten, don't blow big leads and occasionally win 10-11 games, stick to 6-7 games on the low end and more often than not wind up winning 8-9 regular season games most every year. All this while recruiting good to great student athletes that not only play well, but are good in the classroom and maintain a higher standard of character on and off the field. As long as we stay out of the dirty end of the recruiting cesspool, this is the best we can hope for playing in the SEC West. That's just the reality of our situation IMO.

QFT

And I'm okay with it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Steef on February 06, 2017, 05:50:29 am
LOL

No...

Perfectly reasonable take.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 05, 2017, 06:00:19 pm
A good game plan doesn't just include the first half. So yeah, let's start with a better game plan.

You hope your gameplan stays intact into the second half, sure. However, you show me a coach that doesn't make significant changes during half time in any of their games, and I'll show you a coach that either hasn't lost a game in 10+ years or hasn't won many games in that same time frame. TTU the first year is one of the few, perhaps only games in the past 4 years I can think of against P5 competition that didn't need substantial changes and even then, I'm probably under-estimating what they did.

Case 1: What you are doing in the firs half was working. In this case, the other team will almost surely change what they are doing, and you will have to counter their counter once you see what they change. The only way you don't need to change your original gameplan is if A, they are so pathetic you can give them your play calls and it won't change anything. B, you predicted what would work in the first half, predicted perfectly how they would respond, and thus have it already planned out what you will do differently in the 2nd half. No need to make any in-game adjustments whatsoever.

Case 2: What you are doing isn't working in the first half so you need to change things in the second. About the only way this doesn't require a change to the initial game plan is if you are so masterful, that the entire first half was a bait to get the other team feeling comfortable.

I'm sure most coaches will be confident their game plan will work and will try to guess at a handful of counters by the other team so that they can have their own rebuttals prepared. I mean, there's typically only so many things you can do. However, it is rare to accurately predict what exactly you will have great success in and what exactly they will do. You still have to think on the fly one the whistle has blown and the game is happening.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 06, 2017, 11:36:50 pm
You still have to think on the fly one the whistle has blown and the game is happening.

In terms of a very generalized summary, you scout the opponent's film, you prepare a game plan that you believe will be effective and that includes prepared adjustments to their adjustments so yes, you have to be prepared to tweak the game plan on both sides of the ball as the game progresses.
Go Hogs Go!

LA Football fan

That all sounds good in theory until you are trying to overcome a distinct talent disadvantage.  I don't care how good you game plan or make adjustments, players make plays and if your opponent has more playmakers than you do, it is an uphill battle.  I think this year showed how good our coaches actually do game plan and in every game but Auburn, we were ahead or playing competitively up to halftime. 

Opposing coaches made the adjustments and the plain fact was we weren't talented enough to counter effectively if at all.  We had no speed over the top, when teams knew we had to pass, they just blew up our pass protection and Austin had no chance to throw downfield.  I think we abandoned our running game a little too much also.  I do think we need to come up with more ways to run the ball and get our rbs in space.  I think we have to get our qb more involved in the running game also.  SEC defenses are just too loaded with size and speed to just line up and run straight at them and expect to be successful.  Misdirection and getting your qb involved running the ball s the only way you are going to attack the upper echelon defenses and have a chance to score more than a handful of points.