Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rivals Recruiting Ranking - Hogs @ #25

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, January 30, 2017, 04:02:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on February 01, 2017, 01:25:49 pm
I do know Bobby would not have gone 3-9 two years in a row.

Really? Do you know the power ball #'s for tonight?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

I will say this much, this is the least fan fair for signing day I've seen on here in ages.

It seems like a lot of folks just don't care as much.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
I will say this much, this is the least fan fair for signing day I've seen on here in ages.

Possible that there are just not as many surprises with this staff.  Those that are bitching usually make the most noise, as you well know, so they are quiet without anything to complain about.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 01, 2017, 02:55:17 pm
Possible that there are just not as many surprises with this staff.  Those that are bitching usually make the most noise, as you well know, so they are quiet without anything to complain about.

I think like most Razorback fans, I'm conditioned to expect something horrible to happen. Which is great because when something good does happen its unexpected and even better.  I think a lot of folks are tired of hearing about how good the recruiting is, and then nothing come of it.

Derjen

Quote from: HF#1 on January 31, 2017, 08:29:32 am
8th in the league.  Probably where we finish next season.

At least you're being positive

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 02:57:48 pm
I think like most Razorback fans, I'm conditioned to expect something horrible to happen. Which is great because when something good does happen its unexpected and even better.  I think a lot of folks are tired of hearing about how good the recruiting is, and then nothing come of it.

We have had some very good players......

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hobhog on February 01, 2017, 03:43:46 pm
We have had some very good players......

He's talking about our record.  Nobody is arguing that we've had some very good players.  Just not enough.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BielemaBrilliance

I am ok with being in top 25 considering how we played our last two games. Better than being ranked #70.
"When you win, nothing hurts" Joe N

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: jmark on January 30, 2017, 08:34:46 pm
we've got to start reaching for a higher recruiting rank

What do you suggest Arkansas do to get a higher ranking?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 01, 2017, 05:26:34 pm
We've had the players to have a better record than we experienced this past season.

If you don't have great coaching, you better have at least very good recruiting.

If you don't have great recruiting, you better have at least very good coaching.

Agreed.  Hopefully this season was an anomaly.  But my point is a more general one.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 01, 2017, 05:10:18 pm
What do you suggest Arkansas do to get a higher ranking?
Pay off the people setting the rankings? Recruiting at a higher level does not appear to be an option.

trippigs

About where we typically rank I think.....and it takes a yeoman effort the place there.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 30, 2017, 04:22:05 pm
I'm not here to debate any recruiting service over another, but I just glanced at Scout and found one thing interesting.  Arkansas, ranked 27th, has 5 JUCO commits among its 24.  The entire top 25 in the Scout rankings have a total of 16 JUCOs.

Seems like someone is maybe feeling a sense of urgency.

About time a fire gets lit under the big lazy
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 01, 2017, 05:26:34 pm
We've had the players to have a better record than we experienced this past season.

If you don't have great coaching, you better have at least very good recruiting.

If you don't have great recruiting, you better have at least very good coaching.

Last couple of years we have let games get away.  Last year should have been a 9 win season.  The year before that should have been a 9 or 10 win season.  Our team lacks offense in the second half of games.  We were 123rd in scoring in the second half last year. 2013 we were 104th. Even with our bad defense we still should have won 9 last year. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 01, 2017, 02:55:17 pm

Yep. Some don't post for a season or two - then melt in the last two games and here they come posting. Now we have a solid recruiting class and under the baseboards they scurry.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Iwastherein1969

and Miss St beats us again, along with South Carolina in recruiting....why did we even build that new football complex up there, we are getting the same ol' one or two top shelf players and the rest are merely guesses....I used to laugh at recruiting Ross Ragner, but I'd give anything to have that guy right now...Bielema is not long for here...10's of millions of dollars spent for essentially nothing..window dressing
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

lahawg1

How many think we can win a SEC championship in 3-4 years?

RME

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 01, 2017, 07:12:25 pm
and Miss St beats us again, along with South Carolina in recruiting....why did we even build that new football complex up there, we are getting the same ol' one or two top shelf players and the rest are merely guesses....I used to laugh at recruiting Ross Ragner, but I'd give anything to have that guy right now...Bielema is not long for here...10's of millions of dollars spent for essentially nothing..window dressing

This place will become so much better the day* that people like you realize how absolutely vital a university's location is in recruiting.

*also known as "the end of the world"

Bubba's Bruisers

You build it simply to keep up.  To maintain what you have.  It likely won't improve recruiting, but not constantly upgrading would definitely hurt recruiting.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 01, 2017, 07:29:22 pm

The landscape would have to change drastically for it to happen.  So very, very unlikely.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

rickfahr

ChitownHawg

I wish you were not long for here.   8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lahawg1 on February 01, 2017, 07:29:22 pm

I don't think we can, but if the offense stops stalling in the second half and we get a defense that is better then we could possibly see 10 win seasons again pretty soon.

Pork Twain

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 01, 2017, 07:40:44 pm
This place will become so much better the day* that people like you realize how absolutely vital a university's location is in recruiting.

That along with numerous other factors that are stacked against any coach we have.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pig In The City

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 01, 2017, 02:48:44 pm

There does seem to be a lack of interest in the program right now. Four years later I think fans expected more.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pig In The City on February 02, 2017, 06:33:20 am
There does seem to be a lack of interest in the program right now. Four years later I think fans expected more.

As a Hog fan, how can you have a lack of interest? That seems kind of "soapboxy" to me.

bob slydell

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 01, 2017, 07:40:44 pm

Ha Ha.  You mean proximity to recruits I'm assuming.  Cause you can't possibly be referring to being located in Starkville, MS.  Don't disagree; just wanted to clarify.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bob Slydell on February 02, 2017, 08:07:44 am
Ha Ha.  You mean proximity to recruits I'm assuming.  Cause you can't possibly be referring to being located in Starkville, MS.  Don't disagree; just wanted to clarify.

Yes, proximity. Easy way to see it, draw a circle around Fayetteville, make it any size you want, 100, 200, 300, 500 miles, and see how many sec p5 signees come from that circle, 4 stars, 5 stars, etc. Now do the same for all the other sec schools. The numbers will blow your mind.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

These services always lowball us.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 08:03:45 pm
You build it simply to keep up.  To maintain what you have.  It likely won't improve recruiting, but not constantly upgrading would definitely hurt recruiting.
so what you are saying is that 30 million dollars merely keep your program farting down wind ?  I can't stand Nutt, but he did better than this
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 02, 2017, 10:45:01 am
so what you are saying is that 30 million dollars merely keep your program farting down wind ?  I can't stand Nutt, but he did better than this

Don't be that ignorant. You know that is not a logical statement. SEC W is far more competitive now than then. Look how he got his butt handed to him at Ole Miss. His record was better in a less competitive environment.

But you just want to mope around, so carry on.

Hoggiedawg

Who cares what the ranking is?  Just win, baby.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 31, 2017, 09:56:15 am
We still need to improve to get better.

Or as Yogi would say "improvement is better".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bubba's Bruisers

Recruiting pretty much always been what it is...no matter the facilities.  So yes, maybe the new facilities results in a slight up tick, but I doubt much more than that, because everybody is updating their facilities all the time.  We won't be special.  We have to upgrade just to keep up. 

Speaking generally, too many fans choose to live in a bubble.  They only see their own program and always think it's the bomb.  Nevermind the fact that's there's a whole other world out there of competing programs with fantastic facilities too.

Steef

I have lost 90% of my faith in Bret as a coach.

And in a coma, he's still better than Nutt on his best day.

And he's a better man, to boot.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Steef on February 02, 2017, 02:31:00 pm
I have lost 90% of my faith in Bret as a coach.

And in a coma, he's still better than Nutt on his best day.

And he's a better man, to boot.

Troof.  Except the 90% part.  I'm still 50/50 on Bret. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ChitownHawg

Quote from: factchecker on February 03, 2017, 02:38:08 am
2002: 25  http://247sports.com/Season/2002-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2003: 42  http://247sports.com/Season/2003-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2004: 24  http://247sports.com/Season/2004-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2005: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2005-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2006: 25  http://247sports.com/Season/2006-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2007: 38  http://247sports.com/Season/2007-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Houston Nutt's Average Recruiting Class(final 6 cycles):  30.3

2008: 27  http://247sports.com/Season/2008-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2009: 21  http://247sports.com/Season/2009-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2010: 41  http://247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2011: 21  http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2012: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Bobby Petrino's Average Recruiting Class: 27.6

2013: 23  http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2014: 29  http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2015: 23  http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2016: 26  http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
2017: 28  http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Bret Bielema's Average Recruiting Class: 25.8

I also like CBB's argument to split his fours years in half. Look at his SEC ranking the first two years places us at the bottom with KY. The last two years places us at fourth (?). He said if we had won the last two games our last two year record would place us second.

Looking at our record from that perspective does show growth. Just as your stats show growth in recruiting so does CBB's view of the last two years.

HiggiePiggy

Shows growth, but also shows lack of adjusting to second half for 4 years now.  We were in the top 25 in scoring in the first half I believe, but second half we were ranked 123rd. The worse second half offense so far of his time here that includes his first year where he was 104th in the league. We need to start seeing adjustments in the second half that can get us to scoring in the 60th or better or we will continue to see the melt downs in the second half that we have seen a couple of times every year he has coached here. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 03, 2017, 10:07:51 pm
Shows growth, but also shows lack of adjusting to second half for 4 years now.  We were in the top 25 in scoring in the first half I believe, but second half we were ranked 123rd. The worse second half offense so far of his time here that includes his first year where he was 104th in the league. We need to start seeing adjustments in the second half that can get us to scoring in the 60th or better or we will continue to see the melt downs in the second half that we have seen a couple of times every year he has coached here.

What was the second half ranking for 2015? If my memory is correct BA was pretty special late in games. That would fly in the face of your argument. So what was the ranking?

lutherheggs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2017, 02:25:29 pm
Recruiting pretty much always been what it is...no matter the facilities.  So yes, maybe the new facilities results in a slight up tick, but I doubt much more than that, because everybody is updating their facilities all the time.  We won't be special.  We have to upgrade just to keep up. 

Speaking generally, too many fans choose to live in a bubble.  They only see their own program and always think it's the bomb.  Nevermind the fact that's there's a whole other world out there of competing programs with fantastic facilities too.
Heck, Arkansas did not have lights at Razorback Stadium until mid to late '80's and a stadium that held less than 50,000. Yet we still competed for players with all the programs in Texas and elsewhere. Now, we have the latest greatest of everything and about to spend $200 million to add 3,000 seats and can't sign more than 2 players from the state of Texas. Facilities do not matter as much as program tradition and who the head coach is.

HiggiePiggy

February 04, 2017, 10:58:25 am #194 Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:37:15 am by HiggiePiggy
Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 04, 2017, 08:37:39 am
What was the second half ranking for 2015? If my memory is correct BA was pretty special late in games. That would fly in the face of your argument. So what was the ranking?

It was in the 60s and it was our best season so far. 

2013 104th 3-9 lost 3 games when leading or tied in the second half
2014 101st 7-6  lost 5 games when leading or tied  in the second half
2015 64th 8-5   Lost 4 games when leading or tied  in the second half
2016 123rd 7-6 lost 3 games when leading or tied in the second half.

That is 15 games in 4 years where we were either tied or leading at some point in the selncd half and we ended up losing.  Our second half scoring is crap and has been for awhile. Our best season was 64th and we lost games in the second half of that season many times also.

If our offense is getting into the 50s and 60s and our defense is just a little better than these last 2 years we will win 8 or 9 games. So they need to figure out how to score in the second half. Especially if our defense is going to be as terrible as it has been the last 2 years.

We are really good at first half of games.  We don't show up for a second half in almost all of our games. 

Games where we were tied or losing in the second half and won

2013 - 1
2014 - 0
2015 - 3
2016 - 2

6 games we were either tied or losing in the second half that we ended up winning.

ricepig

Quote from: lutherheggs on February 04, 2017, 10:09:26 am
Heck, Arkansas did not have lights at Razorback Stadium until mid to late '80's and a stadium that held less than 50,000. Yet we still competed for players with all the programs in Texas and elsewhere. Now, we have the latest greatest of everything and about to spend $200 million to add 3,000 seats and can't sign more than 2 players from the state of Texas. Facilities do not matter as much as program tradition and who the head coach is.

Who gives a frick about Texas? Sign the best players from wherever, location doesn't matter. It won't be $200M even with interest, for one, the bond issue ended up being for $107M, and it will be paid off early, like all of our projects.

HiggiePiggy

February 04, 2017, 01:25:34 pm #196 Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:41:25 pm by HiggiePiggy
Another stat of how we played the first half and didn't show up in the second half.

(Cheney offense) and our defense

1st half of games overall and (just sec games)
131 points scored        175 points allowed
(74).                           (151)

2nd half
117 points scored.        194 points allowed
(61).                            (152)

So year one we were just terrible on both sides. New coach new system and we didn't expect to do much anyway, but we also lost 3 games where we were tied or leading in the second half.

(Cheney offense) and our defense

1st half overall and (sec)
274 points scored       128   Points allowed
(105)                        (93)

2nd half overall and (sec)
139 points scored.      122 points allowed
(60).                         (84)

Year 2 we scored better in the first half, but like 2013 we didn't show up much in the second half on the offensive side of the ball and scored a ton on our bad non conference teams.

(Enos offense) and our defense.

240 points scored       166 points allowed
(125).                        (95)

227 points scored        194 points allowed
(150)                          (146)

Year one of enos wasn't bad at all on both sides except with some bad non conference losses, but the offense did much better in the second half of games
And ended with our best season so far under Beliema.

(Enos offense) and our "wonderful defense"

257 points scored      170 points allowed
(147)                        (149)

137 points scored.     234 points allowed
(67).                        (149)

So year 4 we could do some pretty good scoring in the sec in the first half we were able to keep up with the defense giving up points so much. Second half though was a different story. Defense didn't help much and the offense stopped playing. 

So pretty much it tells me that we make very little adjustments at halftime or unable to adjust during the second half of games. So this needs to get a lot better if we want to see 8 to 10 wins next year. Which all it takes is showing up in the second half just a little more than 123rd in the nation on offense and our defense be in the middle of 2014 and 2015.