Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has being 2 coaches down on D hurt in the closing month of recruiting

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, January 30, 2017, 10:59:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Segrest has been actively recruiting for the last month to month and a half.  As I have pointed out elsewhere he has had 0 activity on his twitter account since 12/18.

If he is basically gone but actively trying to seek a soft landing that has put us 2 coaches down for recruiting since Smith left and Segrest is inactive. 

I don't see where being 2 coaches down could help in recruiting so it either has little to no effect or it hurts. 

So in your opinion has it hurt recruiting these last couple months?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 30, 2017, 10:59:51 am
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Segrest has been actively recruiting for the last month to month and a half.  As I have pointed out elsewhere he has had 0 activity on his twitter account since 12/18.

If he is basically gone but actively trying to seek a soft landing that has put us 2 coaches down for recruiting since Smith left and Segrest is inactive. 

I don't see where being 2 coaches down could help in recruiting so it either has little to no effect or it hurts. 

So in your opinion has it hurt recruiting these last couple months?

It let E.K. recruit, and apparently, that hasn't hurt much.

PonderinHog

navyhog24

We wouldn't have noticed anything if Segrest had been actively recruiting. The dude sucks.

Scott7703

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 30, 2017, 11:12:44 am
We wouldn't have noticed anything if Segrest had been actively recruiting. The dude sucks.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

tophawg19

yes it allows CBB to go out and recruit as well as Franks . the only way it hurts is not being able to tell a player who his position coach is and let them meet
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The_Boot_stops_here

January 30, 2017, 11:46:28 am #6 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:08:37 pm by The_Boot_stops_here
It does likely hurt.  With the right coach (not RS), we could have seen a difference. The position coach is very often the most important coach when it comes to making a decision. 

PonderinHog

The_Boot_stops_here

This...

King Kong

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 30, 2017, 11:46:28 am
It does likely hurt.  The position coach is typically the most important coach when it comes to making a decision.

Only one position coach missing. As Paul Rhoads will still be a Secondary Coach

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: King Kong on January 30, 2017, 12:07:29 pm

And secondary recruiting hasn't been an issue has it?

Oklahawg

Quote from: King Kong on January 30, 2017, 12:07:29 pm

Smith is gone and not replaced. Rhoads had a title change. Segrest AWOL. That means two are down. The HC has limitations, thus EK Franks steps in to help.

Doesn't hurt:
1) class basically complete
2) targets filling out the class unaffected by the situation
3) allows all coaches to be on the road (only 8 allowed at a time away from campus)

Hurts:
1) position coach unknown to commits and recruits
2) territory under-manned as 2018 offers begin hitting mailboxes
3) uncertainty never helps
4) chance for recruits/coaches to bond with new coaches lost.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

JackJohnson

I don't think so.  If we get Calloway this will be the best defensive class we have ever signed.  Playmakers, talent and speed at every level on D

Oklahawg

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 30, 2017, 12:15:28 pm
I don't think so.  If we get Calloway this will be the best defensive class we have ever signed.  Playmakers, talent and speed at every level on D

Combined with last year especially.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

tophawg19

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 30, 2017, 12:12:52 pm
Smith is gone and not replaced. Rhoads had a title change. Segrest AWOL. That means two are down. The HC has limitations, thus EK Franks steps in to help.

Doesn't hurt:
1) class basically complete
2) targets filling out the class unaffected by the situation
3) allows all coaches to be on the road (only 8 allowed at a time away from campus)

Hurts:
1) position coach unknown to commits and recruits
2) territory under-manned as 2018 offers begin hitting mailboxes
3) uncertainty never helps
4) chance for recruits/coaches to bond with new coaches lost.

betting Dollars to donuts [ your dollars vs my donuts ] that they are telling recruits who the next coaches will be
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jm

The_Boot_stops_here

LRHawg

Thread over.

downsouthhawg72

I think it's a reason Charlie P has not landed anywhere...He could've very easily accepted a job already...I'm very sure after National Signing Day he will be announced as our new D-Line Coach
DownSouthHawg

gibby

I just don't see how it WOULDN'T have at least a minor effect. However, considering that the bulk of our class was wrapped up early this time around, the effect was probably minimized.

CBB was quoted as saying that a lot of coaching changes would happen after the Super Bowl, as the NFL staff changes are finalized and more coaching talent becomes available. So Charlie P not landing yet doesn't surprise me.

It will all play out by mid-Feb, IMO.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 30, 2017, 01:29:12 pm
Its very possible it hurt d-line recruiting.
Possible is not the same as, did.  Also DL was not a huge need this year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Al Boarland

Probably hurt DL recruiting a little, but the class ranks about where it always does.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 30, 2017, 07:00:11 pm
Possible is not the same as, did.  Also DL was not a huge need this year.

I cant say with certainty that it did and you cant say it didnt. But I do know the importance of a position coach when it comes to recruiting...

FANONTHEHILL

There is a team meeting that began at 8pm tonight.  Possible that staff changes could be announced in that meeting. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 30, 2017, 07:40:09 pm
I cant say with certainty that it did and you cant say it didnt. But I do know the importance of a position coach when it comes to recruiting...

Do you think it will hurt Bama on Wednesday, with the recruits not knowing who their WR coach will be? MSU with QB's? aTm with DB's?

bulldog04

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 30, 2017, 11:37:41 am
yes it allows CBB to go out and recruit as well as Franks . the only way it hurts is not being able to tell a player who his position coach is and let them meet
CBB really likes EK on the recruiting trail.  I feel that is why we are delaying the announcement of the dline coach

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 30, 2017, 08:26:24 pm
There is a team meeting that began at 8pm tonight.  Possible that staff changes could be announced in that meeting. 

If so send me a PM. I won't tell

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2017, 08:27:16 pm
Do you think it will hurt Bama on Wednesday, with the recruits not knowing who their WR coach will be? MSU with QB's? aTm with DB's?

I don't think anything hurts Bama in recruiting

King Kong

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 30, 2017, 08:29:18 pm
CBB really likes EK on the recruiting trail.  I feel that is why we are delaying the announcement of the dline coach

I think it's possible EK Franks becomes our 10th coach with his make focus recruiting. Something CBB mentioned in his last presser. An Asst that helps coach at the beginning of the week and is on the road recruiting at the end of it goes to prospects HS games and returns for game day

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2017, 08:27:16 pm
Do you think it will hurt Bama on Wednesday, with the recruits not knowing who their WR coach will be?

possibly- we will know on Wednesday, there is a big time recruit (I can't recall his name, Johnson?) but it was all over local sport radio (WWL-870) today, that his position coach/lead recruiter was head to AZ St. It is a FSU/Bama/LSU situtation.

Believe it is Devonta Smith
http://247sports.com/Player/Devonta-Smith-57201

LRHawg

Quote from: Hogwild on January 30, 2017, 11:37:18 pm
possibly- we will know on Wednesday, there is a big time recruit (I can't recall his name, Johnson?) but it was all over local sport radio (WWL-870) today, that his position coach/lead recruiter was head to AZ St. It is a FSU/Bama/LSU situtation.

Believe it is Devonta Smith
http://247sports.com/Player/Devonta-Smith-57201

Devonta will be a tough loss for LSU if they lose him to Bama. He's an elite WR.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 30, 2017, 07:40:09 pm
What is the importance and how has it affected us in the past?  Do we not currently have a DL coach?

theshiva

CPR killed it with recruiting the secondary, but you can't ignore the scramble for Dline croots as a reflection that we basically don't have a Dline coach atm.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 31, 2017, 06:24:52 am
What is the importance and how has it affected us in the past?  Do we not currently have a DL coach?

The importance is that a majority recruits consider their position coach to be the most important when it comes to a commitment.  We do not, best as anyone can tell, have a d-line coach who is out recruiting at this point, nor was he any good when he was. 

King Kong

LRHawg

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.