Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Troy James wavering?

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, January 27, 2017, 05:56:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

IronMountainHog

Being from Baton Rogue, he really wanted a scholarship from the University of Louisiana State. He committed to Arkansas University, and now he might sign with the College of Oklahoma.

Sportsguy

Quote from: The Boar War on January 27, 2017, 05:17:54 pm
We were ranked 76.  OU was 82.

Again, our conference isn't exactly killing it on offense.

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 05:41:19 pm
I do like our strategy of signing 0-1 D Lineman this year. When do they matter in the SEC anyway? In the words of The Great Cal Noughton Jr. "I'm surprised by your tactics."
I'm sorry, have I missed NSD?

Al Boarland

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on January 27, 2017, 09:44:03 am
Well, like any team we could always use blue chip DL prospects to immediately contribute but that ain't happening. Instead we have got a ton of d linemen already on the roster, many of whom redshirted this year or last year and will really be getting their first chance to contribute this year. Losing one low three star recruit doesn't change much at all. Nothing desperate at all.

We had a ton of guys waiting on the o-line and we see how that turned out.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The Boar War on January 27, 2017, 05:17:54 pm
We were ranked 76.  OU was 82.

Yes I must be the only one who finds irony in a hog fan making fun of another team's defense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hollywood870

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 05:45:24 pm
I'm sorry, have I missed NSD?
Nope, it's a whole 5 days away.We have some big sleepers about to be unleashed?

ricepig

Quote from: Hollywood870 on January 27, 2017, 05:51:39 pm
Nope, it's a whole 5 days away.We have some big sleepers about to be unleashed?

Super duper ones......

Hollywood870

italian9005

I'm sorry but bielema sucks at recruting. his coaches are possibly the worst closers we've ever had. no surprises unless you call losing recruits anytime a big school comes a surprise.

ricepig

Quote from: italian9005 on January 27, 2017, 06:00:09 pm
I'm sorry but bielema sucks at recruting. his coaches are possibly the worst closers we've ever had. no surprises unless you call losing recruits anytime a big school comes a surprise.

Yeah, we've never gotten a 4* or 5* anyone else wanted.

mook

Is there a chance that we get Bryant and Young plus Calloway and Stewart? Maybe they urged James to get another team? Just a big question?

ricepig

Quote from: mook on January 27, 2017, 06:09:48 pm
Is there a chance that we get Bryant and Young plus Calloway and Stewart? Maybe they urged James to get another team? Just a big question?

We'll get Calloway out of those 4, that's it.

pigtrino

gchamblee

lol

Ramboar

Good luck to TJ. Next man up.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

The Boar War

Quote from: Sportsguy on January 27, 2017, 05:43:52 pm
Again, our conference isn't exactly killing it on offense.

Maybe, or maybe the SEC has overall better defenses that skew the numbers.  The inverse could also be true bad defenses could inflate offensive numbers.  After looking at the stats for total offense; the SEC and the Big 12 both had 7 programs in the top 50.  Admittedly the Big 12 teams had a higher rating.  While looking at total defense the SEC had 5 teams in the top 50.  The highest ranked Big 12 defense was KSU at 51.

imtad16

We have had success putting together strong Dline classes in recent history. This year, however, it was a little rough. I think we have some depth on campus, but hopefully filling this class with JUCO stand ins will suffice. I bet we add a couple between now and Wednesday. This isn't ideal, but like Murphy says, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Now let's do something about it.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: go hogues on January 27, 2017, 05:31:43 pm
We'll go steal some 2* committed to Western Kentucky or some such and proclaim "this is the guy we wanted from the start!"
When did this happen I missed it!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

East TN HAWG

I'm not really upset that we lost James.  I'm not sure how good he was.  However, no freshman DLs is a big whiff.  This will hurt 3-5 years from now.   

CallThoseHawgs

BJ Thompson got bumped to a 4 Star today on 247, I know our coaches don't give a damn about stars and what sites rank players but maybe this is an opportunity for him to get a late offer?

ADavisTheGOAT

So.... who are the other uncommitted DL that are considering us?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

TNhawgfan

I don't think James was ever a commit. He said he was decommiting from Arkansas university. Is that near little rock?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Sportsguy

Quote from: The Boar War on January 27, 2017, 06:19:59 pm
Maybe, or maybe the SEC has overall better defenses that skew the numbers.  The inverse could also be true bad defenses could inflate offensive numbers.  After looking at the stats for total offense; the SEC and the Big 12 both had 7 programs in the top 50.  Admittedly the Big 12 teams had a higher rating.  While looking at total defense the SEC had 5 teams in the top 50.  The highest ranked Big 12 defense was KSU at 51.

But, Big 12 had best scoring defense in Bowl season. Weird how they stopped people out of conference and their schools lit most everyone up in Bowl season on offense.

imtad16

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 06:10:43 pm
We'll get Calloway out of those 4, that's it.

So, where are we with Malik Young? I thought we were in good position with him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 27, 2017, 07:04:58 pm

Johnson is pretty much the only name we hear about, and the tea leaves say we've been slow playing him.  So basically none that we'd consider better than James.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 27, 2017, 06:43:18 pm
Curl > James

They play very different positions, so it's not really comparable.

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on January 27, 2017, 07:17:52 pm

So, where are we with Malik Young? I thought we were in good position with him.

Not 100% sure, let's see where he ends up signing.

CallThoseHawgs

Quote from: Hogfan991 on January 27, 2017, 07:04:58 pm
Maybe rather than blueshirting Gabe Richardson and making him count against next years class they will give him an offer for this class. Or Michael Epley could get an offer. & We were expecting to get Melvin Johnson even before the news of James decommitting came out.

JackJohnson

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on January 27, 2017, 07:22:42 pm
Maybe rather than blueshirting Gabe Richardson and making him count against next years class they will give him an offer for this class. Or Michael Epley could get an offer. & We were expecting to get Melvin Johnson even before the news of James decommitting came out.

Kudos to Segrest for being able to cultivate that list of prospects that we can fall back on in case something like this happened

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 27, 2017, 07:27:02 pm
Kudos to Segrest for being able to cultivate that list of prospects that we can fall back on in case something like this happened

I bet he gets fired over it after NSD!

greenie

you don't follow recruiting, do you?

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 07:29:53 pm
I bet he gets fired over it after NSD!

Why?  What's wrong with those kids?  I would imagine if he was going to get fired he already.  I can't imagine an SEC West school would willingly go through these last very important weeks before signing day with not only an open FT coaching spot on defense but also a lame duck coach on D as well especially when all our remaining targets/needs are on D

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 27, 2017, 07:34:44 pm
Why?  What's wrong with those kids?  I would imagine if he was going to get fired he already.  I can't imagine an SEC West school would willingly go through these last very important weeks before signing day with not only an open FT coaching spot on defense but also a lame duck coach on D as well especially when all our remaining targets/needs are on D

Appears 7 out of 14 SEC schools have open positions.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=List-Open-FBS-assistant-jobs-in-college-football

Scott7703

I'll take Thompson and porter at this point and be thrilled

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2017, 07:45:29 pm

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=List-Open-FBS-assistant-jobs-in-college-football
It must suck to talk out of your ass with you and factchecker around.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogfan46

Obviously JJohnson takes the lazy route and doesn't rely on facts to backup his trolling efforts. He is persistent though.

Darren DeLoach

Wow. Kid's jump ship all the time...Alabama...Ohio St....everyone loses some
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

JackJohnson

Good info!  Looks like our open spot with one lame duck is completely par for the course.  Thanks guys!!

factchecker

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 27, 2017, 08:01:39 pm
Wow. Kid's jump ship all the time...Alabama...Ohio St....everyone loses some

Oklahoma just lost their top linebacker commit to LSU the other day.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RazorPiggie

Quote from: CallThoseHawgs on January 27, 2017, 06:57:39 pm
BJ Thompson got bumped to a 4 Star today on 247, I know our coaches don't give a damn about stars and what sites rank players but maybe this is an opportunity for him to get a late offer?

There was probably only about 5 guys on here that knew who Thompson was before 2 weeks ago.

RaisinHog

Wasn't this cat literally the lowest guy on our list ? Those guys are interchangable in my mind

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: factchecker on January 27, 2017, 08:04:19 pm
Oklahoma just lost their top linebacker commit to LSU the other day.

Exactly. We seemingly lose less than even the top tier programs.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Oklahawg

Quote from: RaisinHog on January 27, 2017, 08:23:44 pm
Wasn't this cat literally the lowest guy on our list ? Those guys are interchangable in my mind

It isn't that he was rated high, it is that he is the only guy at a position fans perceive as needing a recruit (especially a freshman recruit).

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

code red

According nto Twitter he is reopening his recruitment.  Here we go again.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 27, 2017, 08:06:04 pm
There was probably only about 5 guys on here that knew who Thompson was before 2 weeks ago.

I still have zero clue who he is.

Oklahawg

I would like to be a fly on the wall in the coach's room tonight. Were they surprised? Were they not surprised? Is there a reasonable chance at filling slots with players they are wanting? Is there a scramble?

We won't truly know, of course.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

870hogfan

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 27, 2017, 08:03:54 pm
Good info!  Looks like our open spot with one lame duck is completely par for the course.  Thanks guys!!

You must be fun at parties.....

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 27, 2017, 08:26:35 pm
It isn't that he was rated high, it is that he is the only guy at a position fans perceive as needing a recruit (especially a freshman recruit).

And naturally these guys above freaking out have more insight than our lazy, no account, poor finishing, sorry recruiting bums for coaches we are stuck with .