Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was the best college B-Ball shooter that you ever Saw?

Started by Burnt Orange Sucks, March 23, 2006, 09:11:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PennHOG

That guy from Loyola Marymount that shot free throws left handed during the NCAA tournament in honour of Hank Gathers.  Man, I can't even zip up my pants with my left hand.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on March 23, 2006, 10:20:45 pm
Marvin Delph. He would still hold the Arkansas scoring record if there was a three point line in his day.

A few years ago when I was working in Little Rock, Sidney Moncrief was UALR's coach at the time and he brought in Marvin Delph for a pep talk.. He was in dress slacks, a dress shirt with a tie on and wearing dress shoes.. He was about 20 feet out shooting while talking the UALR kids and it was NOTHING BUT NET the whole time.. That guys stroke is flawless!!! He then winked at me and said, "man if that 3point line would have been around I would have made a bunch of money in NBA!!"

My top 5.

1. Larry Bird
2. Pistol Pete
3. JJ Redick
4. Mark Price
5. John Paxon ( of the bulls) or Jeff Hornacek ( of the jazz)

Eric Sully

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Eric Sullivan on March 24, 2006, 11:54:06 am
Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on March 23, 2006, 10:20:45 pm
Marvin Delph. He would still hold the Arkansas scoring record if there was a three point line in his day.

A few years ago when I was working in Little Rock, Sidney Moncrief was UALR's coach at the time and he brought in Marvin Delph for a pep talk.. He was in dress slacks, a dress shirt with a tie on and wearing dress shoes.. He was about 20 feet out shooting while talking the UALR kids and it was NOTHING BUT NET the whole time.. That guys stroke is flawless!!! He then winked at me and said, "man if that 3point line would have been around I would have made a bunch of money in NBA!!"

My top 5.

1. Larry Bird
2. Pistol Pete
3. JJ Redick
4. Mark Price
5. John Paxon ( of the bulls) or Jeff Hornacek ( of the jazz)

Eric Sully

Can't leave this guy off..

Chris Mullin - Best left handed stroke of all time!!!!

Eric Sully

lyon98

Pete Maravich, I watched hiim in high school and his team never won a state championship. He was awesome. Bird is still my favorite.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

HoopS

Quote from: PennHOG on March 24, 2006, 11:50:32 am
That guy from Loyola Marymount that shot free throws left handed during the NCAA tournament in honour of Hank Gathers.  Man, I can't even zip up my pants with my left hand.

Bo Kimble. 

hog caller

I AGREE WITH picture perfect PISTOL PETE WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN

Just-Go-Hogs

Quote from: pigture perfect on March 23, 2006, 11:04:25 pm
Pete Maravich

Yep, Pistol Pete was the man, but Marvin Delph wasn't far from that good.  And, when he was on, Al Dillard was amazing at shooting.

hogtusk

Marvin Delph is the best shooter that I have seen in person, Pistol Pete on TV was awsome.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 24, 2006, 08:31:50 am
Cannon Whitby! :D

I was looking for someone to say it! Lights out.....

Major Wingate....no question

THROWITDEEP

Kevin Johnson from Lyon College.  He could hit it from anywhere on the court.  Should have played D-1 back in the 80s.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

Niels Boar

A name I bet hasn't been mentioned is Dwight Lamar.  He was a 6' 0'' guard who played for now La. Lafayette (USL) back in the 70's and averaged over 30 a game shooting only jumpshots.  With a 3-point line he might have averaged 50.  He wasn't quick enough or big enough to cut it in the NBA, though he had some good ABA seasons. 

Some serious basketball was played at those small Louisiana schools in the 70's. Robert Parish playes for Centenary, and they didn't dominate USL or La. Tech.  Louisiana Tech had an awesome team that scored 100 regularly before the shot clock and without treys.  It was an event when two of those teams did battle. 

austinhogfan

austinhogfan

bighog1015

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 23, 2006, 10:17:34 pm
dontell jefferson.
i have to admit Donterrible is a preety good shooter.

in fact i think he is one of the best all around players we've seen

at the hill in the past 5-6 years.

lyon98

Quote from: JJHog on March 24, 2006, 03:48:38 pm
Chris Jackson--LSU

When Chris Jackson's team, Gulfport, played Murrah, Jackson, for the mississippi state championship all 10 starters got D-1 scholarships. The most noted were Jackaon and Orthello Harrington.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Tater Salad

Quote from: bighog1015 on March 24, 2006, 04:16:28 pm
Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 23, 2006, 10:17:34 pm
dontell jefferson.
i have to admit Donterrible is a preety good shooter.

in fact i think he is one of the best all around players we've seen

at the hill in the past 5-6 years.

rupert

Opponents' shooters:

1. Chris Jackson (LSU)
2. Barry Booker (vanderbilt)..at the SEC tournament this year he was on the court dressed in a suit, waiting to do a between-game  Jefferson Pilot interview,the ball boys were feeding him  and  he was shooting from behind  the three point line one handed, without jumping, I didn't see him miss and he shoot at least five or six straight, if not more, all nothing but net

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: THROWITDEEP on March 24, 2006, 03:39:05 pm
Kevin Johnson from Lyon College.  He could hit it from anywhere on the court.  Should have played D-1 back in the 80s.

The guy can still shoot. He told me that Arkansas recruited him and took a trip to watch him play, that night he had his worst high school game ever. He had a hard time creating a shot, but before he got sick he could consistently make 25 to 30 three pointers in a row.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

firecampbell

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 24, 2006, 01:41:00 am
God Shamgod

+1 for you that was a good one, that should have been mine.  I'll go with Chris Mullen

SpaCityBulldog

NuttsSacked

Ricky Norton.  He couldn't shoot off the dribble and his feet were slow, but he displayed the purest form I've ever seen when spotted for an open jumper.  He's the last guy you'd want to play H-O-R-S-E with.

wrightobe

Quote from: hawgdaddy306 on March 23, 2006, 09:55:43 pm
Quote from: Salvaboar Dali on March 23, 2006, 09:49:13 pm
Quote from: Boss Hogg on March 23, 2006, 09:38:26 pm
Jayson Williams...who else??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/05/01/williams_shooting_ap/

Carlton Dotson gets a mention.

http://www.kcentv.com/news/c-article.php?cid=1&nid=8801
That's funny right there.  As for long range shooters, the UofA's own, Al Dillard was lights out from anywhere (just about) inside the snout.  I watched him shoot in the HYPR courts many nights, and that dude was awesome.
What the player's name from Tulsa that played for Nolan Richardson at Tulsa?  I believe it was Willie Biles, or Niles but I can not remember, but I do remember that deadly jump shot that was from what is 3 point range.

He scored 44 points strictly from outside shooting when they played Sutton and the Razorbacks, and was the reason, and only reason, that Tulsa came so close to beating the Razorbacks that year at Barnhill Field House.

He must have shot at least 70% that day, and I think he had several games at Tulsa like that.

Richard_white

The best shoot and release was Scotty Thurman

But best ever has to be Larry Bird

Rosevelt Wallace a strong second

TheSportsGuy

without a doubt.....travis ford of kentucky.  i truely thought he was going to make every shot he got.

I win.  Glenn Rice.  He has the highest shooting percentage in the tourney ever.

Stand down, fellow posters.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Richard_white

March 25, 2006, 01:05:12 am #81 Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 01:07:23 am by razorbacks4life27
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 25, 2006, 01:01:13 am
I win.  Glenn Rice.  He has the highest shooting percentage in the tourney ever.

You meant Rosevelt Wallace didn't you (LOL)

Quote from: razorbacks4life27 on March 25, 2006, 01:05:12 am
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on March 25, 2006, 01:01:13 am

You meant Rosevelt Wallace didn't you (LOL)
nice

songofthesword

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 24, 2006, 01:41:00 am
God Shamgod

ROTFLMAO!!

God Shamgod might be the worst shooter on earth. Kids in Junior High could shoot better then him, which is sad because if he had any resemblence to a shot he would have had a nice NBA career

RedSatinHog

I really believe it would have to be Scott Padgett from Kentucky.  That guy could hit from anywhere, and turn a game on a dime in the process.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hogtheball

J.J.,  Bird, Mark Price, and Chris Jackson at LSU.  I never saw Maravich play, but he's god to my dad so I'll put him on the list too.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Suwe Blab

sportscrazy

Larry Bird an Steve Alford.  I give Bird the edge because he could not only shoot from anywhere but he could get open off of screens, using the dribble or posting up.  He could shoot facing or with this back to the basket.  No one else on that list could do that as effectively as he could.

arkbengal

Goes back a ways, but Pistol Pete and Chris Jackson (LSU), and Bo Lamar (USL) were some of the best I ever saw from out front.

hogtheball

Quote from: arkbengal on March 25, 2006, 01:30:16 pm
Goes back a ways, but Pistol Pete and Chris Jackson (LSU), and Bo Lamar (USL) were some of the best I ever saw from out front.

Chris Jackson was the best college basketball player I've ever seen for one season.  Nobody else in the last 25 years has even been close.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

rricha

woodhog14

JJ Redick was the best SHOOTER I've seen in college, but not the best player.

Hollywood_HOGan

Im sure this has been mentioned but seriously I've NEVER seen a player with the range of Alex Dillard.

That dude could make a jumpshot from just about halfcourt!

Greatest long range shooter Ive seen.

Very entertaining to watch.

hogtheball

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 25, 2006, 02:50:42 pm
Im sure this has been mentioned but seriously I've NEVER seen a player with the range of Alex Dillard.

There are probably a lot of guys with Dillard's range.  We'll never know - most of them are too smart to take 35 foot shots in games.  The others get benched if they do.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogtheball on March 25, 2006, 03:37:26 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 25, 2006, 02:50:42 pm

There are probably a lot of guys with Dillard's range.  We'll never know - most of them are too smart to take 35 foot shots in games.  The others get benched if they do.

Hey if you can make the 35 foot jumper the way Al did, why not take em?

HoopS

rricha