Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan's called Heath twice this season to wish him well

Started by Rey Pygsterio, March 15, 2006, 08:34:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

From Democrat-Gazette:

In Nolan's shadow

It's not always in the back of Stan Heath's mind, but he said he has felt pressure occasionally during his four seasons at Arkansas because he followed Nolan Richardson, who took the program to three Final Fours and won a national title.

"I think this is something everybody knows: Most guys who follow legends don't do very well," Heath said. "It doesn't work out very well. The lesson is you want to follow the guy who followed the legend. I think in some degree I felt like, hey, the odds aren't in my favor."

There might be a little room to breathe easier for the moment, now that Heath has Arkansas back in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since Richardson's 2001 team lost in the first round.

Richardson has called Heath a few times over the years to congratulate him and the team, including twice this season, Heath said. The current coach also recalled a conversation with his predecessor during a rough patch in the first or second season when Richardson invoked one of his famous lines, "Hey, just remember, all sickness isn't death."
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

WILL CLINTON

Half the people on here won't even belive this.  To them Nolan is just a Racist SOB with no class.

I think it is great he is able to discern that Heath has nothing to do with what happened to him and is able to congratulate him and try to help him along.  Obviously he still cares about basketball at the U of A, or he wouldn't be trying to make Heath's transition any easier or be congratulating him.   
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

1836hog

I'm suprised to hear this.  I'm a Nolan fan, but I woud never expect this out him.  Way to go Nolan.  One big happy hog family. 

hogtusk

It was time for Nolan to go. However if Nolan made an effort, I think fans would forgive him and welcome him back with open arms.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Tusks

Quote from: dubyacee on March 15, 2006, 08:54:52 am
Half the people on here won't even belive this.  To them Nolan is just a Racist SOB with no class.

I think it is great he is able to discern that Heath has nothing to do with what happened to him and is able to congratulate him and try to help him along.  Obviously he still cares about basketball at the U of A, or he wouldn't be trying to make Heath's transition any easier or be congratulating him.   

If Nolan had an ounce of common sense, he'd still be getting paid and admiring the statue built of him in front of BWA.  He'd be coming to games, always signing autographs and be known as the grandfather/godfather of Razorback basketball.  He'd have the support of the university and the whole state would be behind him for his underprivileged kids program.

Instead....well you know.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LA HAWG

Breaking News, Transcript of Nolan, Stan converstation

Stan:  Hello

Nolan:  Stan, its Nolan.

Stan:  Hey Coach how you doing?

Nolan: If they go ahead and pay me my money, they can take the job tomorrow.

Stan:  Coach, they are already paying you and I have the job.

Nolan:  Did you shoot my horse?

Stan:  What are you talking about?

Nolan:  You better win in the NCAAT or they will have your head on a platter, man I hate that Frank Broyles.

Stan:  Bye Coach. Click.

HighOnHogs

I'm still pissed at Nolan.  When I think about how lazy he became and how we went from fame to shame I blame Nolan.  What Nolan COULD have done here will never be known, but could have been great.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 09:10:42 am
I'm still pissed at Nolan.  When I think about how lazy he became and how we went from fame to shame I blame Nolan.  What Nolan COULD have done here will never be known, but could have been great.

What Nolan could have done here will never be known, but could have been great? Did you just move to the state?
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

HighOnHogs

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 15, 2006, 09:12:19 am
Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 09:10:42 am

What Nolan could have done here will never be known, but could have been great? Did you just move to the state?

Don't pretend he was something other than a quiter.  That pisses me off too.  No more excuses for Nolans BS please.

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: nutted on March 15, 2006, 09:04:28 am

If Nolan had an ounce of common sense, he'd still be getting paid and admiring the statue built of him in front of BWA.  He'd be coming to games, always signing autographs and be known as the grandfather/godfather of Razorback basketball.  He'd have the support of the university and the whole state would be behind him for his underprivileged kids program.

Instead....well you know.

Breaking news, Nolan is still being paid.

I also think that Nolan is still quite respected for what he did, and with an apology would be accepted with the honors due him, which are many.

hogfan064

I really wish the university and Nolan would make up.  It's for the good of both parties. Nolan is a legend, I'd hate it when in 30 years he's dead and we never made up with the guy.  I'm sure deep down in some way Nolan really loves Arkansas and misses hearing the Hogs called

Shizzle

I think Nolan has a split personality, honestly.

Nolan #1 One of the greatest college basketball coaches I have ever watched sit on a bench, showing high intelligence, and leadership that is equaled by few. Nice enough to sit down have a beer with and just b.s.

Nolan #2 Egotistical, racial and down right hateful.

Hard to figure him out sometimes but he was a great coach.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

HighOnHogs

Quote from: Shizzle on March 15, 2006, 09:40:48 am
Hard to figure him out sometimes but he was a great coach.

Part one "Hard to figure him out sometimes"

Absolutely

Part two "he WAS a great coach"

Absolutely

Part three

Arkansas could have been up there with Duke, Kentucky, & NC if only Nolan wouldn't have quit on us.

LA HAWG

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 09:45:24 am

Arkansas could have been up there with Duke, Kentucky, & NC if only Nolan wouldn't have quit on us.

You are right.

nwarazfan

IMO - Nolan's beef has always been mainly with "the white haired devil", our admin and certain small segment of our fan base who he was never able to forgive for their treatment of him in the 80s when his daughter was dying and he was trying to build the program.

In Heath he sees a good young African Amer coach for whom he cleared the path to coach here.  I'm sure he wants him to succeed for he and John Thompson and John Chaney busted their butts and put up with alot of crap to help make opportunities for Heath and others.  And if Nolan hated the actual program that much, do you think John Thompson's son would be here?  I've always believed Nolan's beef is just with a few. 

Disclaimer:  He still had the program in decline and needed to go.  Single digit scoring role players weren't bringing us back.

1836hog

Was this in todays paper?  I am having touble finding the article. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 09:57:40 am
IMO - Nolan's beef has always been mainly with "the white haired devil", our admin and certain small segment of our fan base who he was never able to forgive for their treatment of him in the 80s when his daughter was dying and he was trying to build the program.

In Heath he sees a good young African Amer coach for whom he cleared the path to coach here.  I'm sure he wants him to succeed for he and John Thompson and John Chaney busted their butts and put up with alot of crap to help make opportunities for Heath and others.  And if Nolan hated the actual program that much, do you think John Thompson's son would be here?  I've always believed Nolan's beef is just with a few. 

Disclaimer:  He still had the program in decline and needed to go.  Single digit scoring role players weren't bringing us back.

Agree, agree and agree.  The transition was handled poorly on the part of ALL parties involved not just one.  Has Frank ever apologized.  "Hog fans I'm sorry for the piss poor football you had to put up with in the 90's"  "Hog fans I'm sorry I wasn't able to handle the Nolan situation better so you wouldn't have to suffer through 4 years of mediocre to down right bad basketball before getting back to the NCAA"  "Hog fans I apologize that my relationship with Ted Harrod may have led to NCAA investigation, infractions, and investigation"  If we expect Nolan to apologize shouldn't Frank?

As far as Nolan offering an apology.  I heard him offer one,  I was standing two feet behind him the last game he coached (MSU at Starkville).  He was doing the post game and sitting between Mike Nail and Joe Klein.  I believe Nolan apologized to the fans for what he said.  Mike Nail had his arm around Nolan most of the time.  After the post game Nolan got up to leave, I shook his hand and told him I hoped he would stay.  I got his autograph on my 1994 SI with the hogs on the cover.  I also got MA to sign it.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Rey Pygsterio

The article is in the back of the sports with Scott Cain's round-up.

nwarazfan, I can't believe I am saying this, but mostly good post.

For the guy who says Nolan needs to apologize, maybe, but he's not the only one, and that includes the fans.

Lokirain

I have no bad feelings about Nolan. I saw the lawsuit as part of the business. Nolan did the U of A proud. He won our only championship and that's not an easy task for a school like Arkansas. Heath is going to be good, he is still young. I am so happy to be back, and cannot wait to see the Razorbacks play on Friday.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 15, 2006, 10:09:51 am

Agree, agree and agree.  The transition was handled poorly on the part of ALL parties involved not just one.  Has Frank ever apologized.  "Hog fans I'm sorry for the piss poor football you had to put up with in the 90's"  "Hog fans I'm sorry I wasn't able to handle the Nolan situation better so you wouldn't have to suffer through 4 years of mediocre to down right bad basketball before getting back to the NCAA"  "Hog fans I apologize that my relationship with Ted Harrod may have led to NCAA investigation, infractions, and investigation"  If we expect Nolan to apologize shouldn't Frank?

As far as Nolan offering an apology.  I heard him offer one,  I was standing two feet behind him the last game he coached (MSU at Starkville).  He was doing the post game and sitting between Mike Nail and Joe Klein.  I believe Nolan apologized to the fans for what he said.  Mike Nail had his arm around Nolan most of the time.  After the post game Nolan got up to leave, I shook his hand and told him I hoped he would stay.  I got his autograph on my 1994 SI with the hogs on the cover.  I also got MA to sign it.

I won't bash Frank for Nolan's recruiting failures and program decline.  He made bad mistakes in his relationship with Nolan.  He provided Nutt with his  "cloud excuse".  He has also done great things for our programs. 

The_Bionic_Pig

I wish Nolan and the HogFans would make-up someday just to bring closure.  I shouldn't have ended that way in a pissing contest.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

nwarazfan

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 15, 2006, 10:11:09 am
The article is in the back of the sports with Scott Cain's round-up.

nwarazfan, I can't believe I am saying this, but mostly good post.

For the guy who says Nolan needs to apologize, maybe, but he's not the only one, and that includes the fans.

Rey- I don't hate Nolan.  Never have.  I understand (as well as a young white man can) his view on things and why and how he has been scarred by people's actions and words.  My point with Nolan has always been with what happened to the program and the direction it was going.

Hope to see him honored one day in BWA after time has helped heal the wounds of our divorce.  Maybe in a few seasons when we are a perennial NCAAT team, we can bring Coach A's team in(whom ever it is) and bring in Nolan and Rose.  I still think its a little too soon.  But this revelation about how he has treated Stan should help as it shows class and his still having affection for the program.

arthurhawgerelli

Agree that there are others who need to apologize, not the fans.  He definitely owes the fans an apology, but so do the admins for the way the whole deal was botched.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on March 15, 2006, 11:23:18 am

Agree that there are others who need to apologize, not the fans.  He definitely owes the fans an apology, but so do the admins for the way the whole deal was botched.

Maybe not all of the fans need to apologize, but the ones who were doing their best to put 5 letter words together just so they could belittle him when his daughter was dying need to.  And anyone who thinks Nolan needs to apologize, AGAIN, I agree with the earlier post about Frank needing to also.  Frank never stood up for Nolan like he did/has/is for Nutt.  Frank never apologized for telling off-color race related jokes, or using the N-word.  Even if he was repeating what someone else said, you still shouldn't use that word when you are the boss of African Americans, and the AD at a university that requires African American kids to come to your school to win. 

hogmary

Whatever you think about Nolan, he wants only good things for Stan Heath and the basketball team.  He loves those kids and wants them to win and wants Stan to succeed.  He watches the Hogs whenever they are on tv, but goes to UAB games, where he's welcome.  Ought to be interesting in Philadelphia this weekend...Mike Anderson, Nolan's protege' vs Tubby Smith, Nolan's good friend.

othermac

maybe someone could do a interview with nolan after his trial is over. it could open the door for reconciliation.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

ghg1

If Nolan was drowning, I would be the first one to jump in

and put rocks in his pockets.

hogmary

Do you know him Conway Hog?  Have you discussed this with him?  I do and I have.  He is not a racist.  There are a few white people he doesn't like and I am sure a few blacks he doesn't like.  I didn't say he cared about the UA, I said he cared about the Hog basketball team.  Believe whatever you want.  Ignorance is bliss.

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogmary on March 15, 2006, 02:07:24 pm
Do you know him Conway Hog?  Have you discussed this with him?  I do and I have.  He is not a racist.  There are a few white people he doesn't like and I am sure a few blacks he doesn't like.  I didn't say he cared about the UA, I said he cared about the Hog basketball team.  Believe whatever you want.  Ignorance is bliss.

Oh yeah, and I am close personal friends with the President.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 02:09:10 pm
And if Nolan hated the actual program that much, do you think John Thompson's son would be here?  I've always believed Nolan's beef is just with a few. 

If he didn't hate the program that much do you think he'd still be going out to his mailbox every month in his pajamas and collecting a 41K check?  Or, what about continuing to drag a suit out? 

He didn't hate the program he hated Frank.  How did he not care about the program?  When you don't like your boss then that is when you start to not care.  That is what happened to Nolan.  He was frustrated with Frank.

1836hog

nwarazfan

And if Nolan hated the actual program that much, do you think John Thompson's son would be here?  I've always believed Nolan's beef is just with a few. 

If he didn't hate the program that much do you think he'd still be going out to his mailbox every month in his pajamas and collecting a 41K check?  Or, what about continuing to drag a suit out? 

Again, this is Nolan vs Frank, White and the BOT. I don't see the connection in collecting money owed to him based on a contract with hating the program.  I don't think in his mind he hates the UA or the Hog basketball program, players or coaches or 80-90% of the fans.  He hates Frank, the small % of our fan base that was racist in the 80s and he's not happy with Sugg and White.  They are the reason the suit is dragging out.  In reality it may harm the program, but I don't believe that is his intention.

Hoggy Potter

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 02:04:42 pm

Well you're right about ONE thing.  Nolan is a racist.
Your wrong that he cares about basketball at the U of A. 
Exhibit A: He's still collecting a check

Also, just because he calls Stan doesn't mean he cares about the U of A.  There is a BIG difference between caring about Stan and caring about the U of A.

I'm kind of like you...I don't know if Nolan really cares about the U of A anymore.  He might...I don't know him and don't pretend to know him. 

My question is would he be calling Stan if he was white?  He blazed the trail for a lot of black coaches and he wants to see STAN do well.
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

WILL CLINTON

How in the hell you equate getting paid with not caring about the program is beyond me.  So since he accepts the money he is owed, he doesn't care?  What about the other coaches who get fired and still accept the money they are paid don't care either?  When I get fired in a couple of weeks and still take the 2 months salary my company is paying me, will I not care? 

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: ghg1 on March 15, 2006, 02:02:07 pm

If Nolan was drowning, I would be the first one to jump in

and put rocks in his pockets.

So you want to kill him or assist in his death?  Classy upstanding citizen you are.  How any community wouldn't want you in it is beyond me.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 02:32:32 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on March 15, 2006, 02:30:00 pm

How in the hell you equate getting paid with not caring about the program is beyond me.  So since he accepts the money he is owed, he doesn't care?  What about the other coaches who get fired and still accept the money they are paid don't care either?  When I get fired in a couple of weeks and still take the 2 months salary my company is paying me, will I not care? 

Something about a lawsuit that has went on for years seems to tell me that.  What about you? 

The lawsuit and the buyout in his contract are two different things.  The lawsuit was for racial discrimination, the contract buyout was for being the best basketball coach ever at the U of A. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 02:28:56 pm

I've been around Nolan.  Do I know him personally?  No.  Have I had conversations yes?  If I called a black guy a n**ger, you would call me a racist.  Yet, he can someone a redneck SOB and not be a racist?  Let's not use double standards here.  Don't give me the ignorance is bliss trash.

The hypocrisy of our fans to call Nolan a racist kills me.  When he called a SMALL portion of our fan base redneck SOB's, there was history and IMO justification for it.  If you aren't a racist, if you weren't calling him names and degrading his coaching style because of his skin color back in the 80s, then why does this statement by Nolan bother you?  He wasn't talking to me.  I doubt he was talking to duby or 80-90% of the rest of our fan base.

Be mad at Nolan for his on court failures late in his career.  Be mad because he used the wrong moments to get on his soap box.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 02:34:20 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:18:34 pm

Again, this is Nolan vs Frank, White and the BOT. I don't see the connection in collecting money owed to him based on a contract with hating the program.  I don't think in his mind he hates the UA or the Hog basketball program, players or coaches or 80-90% of the fans.  He hates Frank, the small % of our fan base that was racist in the 80s and he's not happy with Sugg and White.  They are the reason the suit is dragging out.  In reality it may harm the program, but I don't believe that is his intention.

Then drop the suit because they aren't paying him the money.  THE PROGRAM is.  Other black folks could use that 500K/year he's getting.

Maybe you just don't understand why he filed a lawsuit.  He didn't file the lawsuit because he wasn't getting paid, he filed it based on the fact that because of his race he was mistreated and treated differently than the white football coach who doesn't even have 1/10000000000000 of the coaching ability that Nolan has.  Nor has Nutt done anything remotely close for football in the state that Nolan has. 

Ark Blitz

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:36:17 pm

I've been around Nolan.  Do I know him personally?  No.  Have I had conversations yes?  If I called a black guy a n**ger, you would call me a racist.  Yet, he can someone a redneck SOB and not be a racist?  Let's not use double standards here.  Don't give me the ignorance is bliss trash.

The hypocrisy of our fans to call Nolan a racist kills me.  When he called a SMALL portion of our fan base redneck SOB's, there was history and IMO justification for it.  If you aren't a racist, if you weren't calling him names and degrading his coaching style because of his skin color back in the 80s, then why does this statement by Nolan bother you?  He wasn't talking to me.  I doubt he was talking to duby or 80-90% of the rest of our fan base.

Be mad at Nolan for his on court failures late in his career.  Be mad because he used the wrong moments to get on his soap box.

Well Said!!!

Hank351

Nolan is a respectable guy and respected by so many people all over the nation.  To be honest with you while Nolan was here I think we kind of took him for granted.  The year UAB made the cinderella story in the NCAA by doing so well I got to see Nolan there supporting Mike Anderson.  And I've never seen so many Coaches, Players, and Basketball Personalities flock to one man.  Its sad that we couldn't take advantage of this and have ended on good terms with the legend.  But, its two men's egos (Nolan and Frank) that are getting in the way and have held this program down.  They are both MEN and we know this, so why not apologize, let Nolan collect his checks, and be an ambassador for this program.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:36:17 pm

+1 for that.  Like my dad used to say when he was getting onto 1 of the 3 boys, "If you didn't do anything, then I am not talking to you."  I don't feel Nolan was ever talking to me, so I didn't get offended.  Obviously ConwayHog was has some reason to feel that Nolan was attacking him.

HighOnHogs

I could care less about his comments, lawsuit, or racism.  All I cared about and all I still care about is winning.  If you aren't winning then you need to move on.  That goes for HdN and whoever else isn't winning whether your white, black, red, or green.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 02:40:26 pm
I could care less about his comments, lawsuit, or racism.  All I cared about and all I still care about is winning.  If you aren't winning then you need to move on.  That goes for HdN and whoever else isn't winning whether your white, black, red, or green.

Nutt hasn't won crap in 8 years!!  Nutt can't even win a SEC Championship let alone a National Championship.  He showed have shown himself the door way before Nolan.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Hank351 on March 15, 2006, 02:39:32 pm
Nolan is a respectable guy and respected by so many people all over the nation.  To be honest with you while Nolan was here I think we kind of took him for granted.  The year UAB made the cinderella story in the NCAA by doing so well I got to see Nolan there supporting Mike Anderson.  And I've never seen so many Coaches, Players, and Basketball Personalities flock to one man.  Its sad that we couldn't take advantage of this and have ended on good terms with the legend.  But, its two men's egos (Nolan and Frank) that are getting in the way and have held this program down.  They are both MEN and we know this, so why not apologize, let Nolan collect his checks, and be an ambassador for this program.

I was talking with someone who st with David Bazzel at a recent Chamber of Commerce dinner, and this person asked Bazz why hasn't John McDonnell gotten recoginition for winning 42 championships, he responded that he stepped on some toes at the U of A.  this person responded that he had won 42 champ and it should be overlooked, Bazz responded that he stepped on "the big toe", aka Frank Broyles, and that person never forgets that stuff.  Frank's ego is barely able to fit in NWA, I am sure it spills over into south mizzou occasionally. 

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:36:17 pmWhen he called a SMALL portion of our fan base redneck SOB's, there was history and IMO justification for it.

It was not that piece of crap's place to make comments like that.

Like it or not no matter how much you piss yourself in anger defending that turd, he got what he deserved.

Frick Nolan.

nwarazfan

Quote from: dubyacee on March 15, 2006, 02:43:24 pm
Quote from: Hank351 on March 15, 2006, 02:39:32 pm

I was talking with someone who st with David Bazzel at a recent Chamber of Commerce dinner, and this person asked Bazz why hasn't John McDonnell gotten recoginition for winning 42 championships, he responded that he stepped on some toes at the U of A.  this person responded that he had won 42 champ and it should be overlooked, Bazz responded that he stepped on "the big toe", aka Frank Broyles, and that person never forgets that stuff.  Frank's ego is barely able to fit in NWA, I am sure it spills over into south mizzou occasionally. 

On a side note, I saw Coach Broyles at the grocery store last night.  Came around a corner and there he was creeping down the aisle.  Had to stop the cart to allow him to turn the corner into the pharmacy(a few here probably wish that I would have taken him out).  Wasn't moving well and didn't look too cheery as you could imagine with the recent hip surgery. 

Ark Blitz

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 15, 2006, 02:45:51 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:36:17 pmWhen he called a SMALL portion of our fan base redneck SOB's, there was history and IMO justification for it.

Like it or not no matter how much you piss yourself in anger defending that turd, he got what he deserved.

Frick Nolan.

Im glad he got what he deserved and that is PAID!!

Frick Frank and his Good Ole Boy System also add Nutt to that crew.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 15, 2006, 02:45:51 pm

Frick Nolan.

Anger?  Not at all.  I'm not angry over the Nolan off the court mess.  I'm regretful it ended that way.  And I'm able to have an open mind to why a black man who grew up through segregation and had racial slurs spewed at him while he was going through the hardest time of his life might be bitter towards a minority of the ignorant in my race.  I'm angry at the absolute ignorant idiots who have made people like Nolan have the feelings they have. 

Mike Wilbon had an interesting take when all this went down.  Basically he said Nolan looked like many of the black men whom he grew up around that had taken a lifetime of abuse and were angry.  He said he had seen that face before talking about Nolan at the infamous press conference.  Again, I'm amazed at the shallowness of some of our fans. 

HighOnHogs

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:56:46 pmAnger?  Not at all.  I'm not angry over the Nolan off the court mess.  I'm regretful it ended that way.  And I'm able to have an open mind to why a black man who grew up through segregation and had racial slurs spewed at him while he was going through the hardest time of his life might be bitter towards a minority of the ignorant in my race.  I'm angry at the absolute ignorant idiots who have made people like Nolan have the feelings they have. 

Mike Wilbon had an interesting take when all this went down.  Basically he said Nolan looked like many of the black men whom he grew up around that had taken a lifetime of abuse and were angry.  He said he had seen that face before talking about Nolan at the infamous press conference.  Again, I'm amazed at the shallowness of some of our fans. 

I hate racism as much as anyone.  But Nolan being black isn't why he was fired.  He was fired because his coaching and recruiting sucked.  I believe he got lazy and too caught up in his own agenda to see what a legend he would have been if only he kept to his game.  That is what is sad to me.  The man worked to hard to get lazy at the end and caught up in his own web.

As far as his daughter goes.  I would hug Nolan and tell him how incredibly sorry I am for his loss.  It brings tears to my eyes to even think about her. I can't even imagine losing a child.  That alone would maybe cause me to veer off my game.  But it is sad to say the least.  Nolan was headed to greatness and was going to carry us along with him.  That my friends is SAD.