Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball is still a TOP 10 job

Started by WILL CLINTON, February 27, 2006, 09:35:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

That if the job opens up at Iowa, they would come after Stan Heath.  I just don't know how I would feel about that.  Heath has definitely done a good job the last 3 games, but I still want to see how we finish up the season, and the SEC tourney, and how we do in the dance.  Because it's one thing to get in and play well against a name team and lose, and its another to get in, face Montana Cattle Branding School of Fine Arts and get beat.  So, who gets pissed if we lose them, who doesn't give a shiite?
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

wishyjoshy

I don't think I would shed a tear if he left, but if he wins out, I'm willing to give him one more season.

12under

ive defended stan and other coaches on campus all year, but if he wanted to get back to big 10 country, i feel certain we could find a very qualified coach.

hogfan064

If he honestly wants to go to Iowa over Arkansas then let him.  That means his heart isn't with us.  Arkansas is a bigtime program with bigtime facilities we won't have a problem attracting a big name coach.  Iowa is no Arkansas.

LA HAWG

This would be wonderful.  We would not have to fire Heath and we could hire ANYBODY we wanted to without any issues.

hogfan064

If Stan is offered a job at a major conference it will because this Hog team achieved great things.  90% of the coaches out there would come coach a program coming off 20+ wins and a NCAA tourney bid and that has 18,000 attend games. 

Stan taking the Iowa job could be a good thing.

RealSmartGuy

musiccityhog

Iowa will go after Bruce Pearl first. He was a long time assistant there under Dr. Tom Davis.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

12under

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 09:43:24 am
This would be wonderful.  We would not have to fire Heath and we could hire ANYBODY we wanted to without any issues.
how bout coach K.  any issues there?  maybe phil jackson.

hogfan064

South Carolina might be looking for a head coach soon as well.  Fans in Columbia are really upset at Odom.  His record in SEC play is awful.  Driving to work this morning the 2 names everyone keeps throwing around are Greg Marshall at Winthrop and Mike Anderson.

Hawgdawgrain

Arkansas Basketball is still considered to be one of the Top 10 basketball jobs in College Basketball.

Doug Gottlieb, ESPN, analyst does a little radio in the OKC area and confronted a caller on this very point recently. He said if they (Arkansas Basketball) don't turn it around soon then that might change, but they are still a top 10 job.

I post this because I believe that is the feel across the nation due to our domination in the 90's. Some are saying that if Iowa were to come after Heath, he might consider it.

I say he won't leave this job unless they fire him, which they won't.

It'd be nice to add to our tradition by making an appearance in the Sweet 16 this year.

RazorCaddy

Quote from: dubyacee on February 27, 2006, 09:35:00 am
That if the job opens up at Iowa, they would come after Stan Heath.  I just don't know how I would feel about that.  Heath has definitely done a good job the last 3 games, but I still want to see how we finish up the season, and the SEC tourney, and how we do in the dance.  Because it's one thing to get in and play well against a name team and lose, and its another to get in, face Montana Cattle Branding School of Fine Arts and get beat.  So, who gets pissed if we lose them, who doesn't give a shiite?
I would be fine with him leaving. I like the guy but he hasn't proven much yet. Not sure how some of you have found a way to fall in love with him when he hasn't coached a game in the tournament yet. We can easily find a coach with a more qualified resume if he decides to move on.

hogfan064

It most certainly is a top 10 job.  Here's why

1. Only major university in a state of 2.5 million
2. A SEC school
3. Large arena with fantastic facilities that would rank top 10 nationally
4. Tons of fan support, more than 99% of the schools out there.
5. Tradition and lots of it.  Hogs rank top 15 in about every category you can think of
6. The only show in town..... or county, or state.  No pro sports. 

taintlint

Fine with me. But.......my biggest complaint with him has been that he brings in all of these "big time" recruits and in 4 years there has not been a single positive result.........until 3 games ago. So, has he broken out of his shell? Is this what he has been promising all along? Is this the new trend? If so, Stan please stay. If it has been nothing more than a team getting hot and is bound to cool back down, see ya Stan.

LA HAWG

Quote from: 12under on February 27, 2006, 09:51:50 am

I was trying to be subtle and not mention the race issue but I guess your small mind can't grasp innuendo.

Tater Salad

Wally's full of it. Don't believe anything he says.

Hogs4Ever

If wants to go, GO!  I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over it that's for sure.

nwarazfan

I'm ready for a change too.  Lets start over with another coach just when the program is about to be back.  Ignore the fact the program is continuing to improve on the court and in talent.  Didn't happen fast enough.  Lets move on.  Forget the fact how wrong and misinformed so many have been in their criticism and we have seen no evidence that the program under Stan has come close to hitting its ceiling.  Lets take a vote on who the fans want and hire them.  Gillespie, Sadler and Coach A can be in the race.

12under

Quote from: LA HAWG on February 27, 2006, 10:06:27 am

I was trying to be subtle and not mention the race issue but I guess your small mind can't grasp innuendo.
i guess "small minded" people dont actually care about any race issues.  i for one don't.  i guess it makes a difference to you.  the real issue for you is you wanting to fire heath.   

Tomhog™

My only problem with SH leaving is how many players are going to leave with him?  We are just getting back to where we need to be and I don't want any major shakeups at this point.  Next season could be even better than this season.  If we lose a couple of players, we'll likely be back down to the lower half of the SEC.  Is there that much hate in here towards SH to drop a level for another year or two?

pseudorabies

If Stan leaves and Frank Broyles Jim Lindsey finally figures it out and hires a pr oven Head Coach, I wouldn't worry about recruits changing their mind.

pheine78

how bout coach K.  any issues there?  maybe Phil jackson.

I didn't grasp it either, so I guess that I have a small mind as well.  That's OK.  Not everyone thinks about race all the time.  But that is your prerogative.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

hogfan064

Quote from: Tomcat on February 27, 2006, 10:14:24 am
My only problem with SH leaving is how many players are going to leave with him?  We are just getting back to where we need to be and I don't want any major shakeups at this point.  Next season could be even better than this season.  If we lose a couple of players, we'll likely be back down to the lower half of the SEC.  Is there that much hate in here towards SH to drop a level for another year or two?

Noone would transfer and lose a year of elgibility.  Get a big enough name and we won't lose recruits either. 

My point is this.  If he leaves us for Iowa then he truly doesn't want to be a Hog.  Noone can convince me that Iowa is a stepup from Arkansas.  I don't want a coach that doesn't want to be here.

Hogs4Ever

Then why aren't we ranked in the Top 10?  Top 25?  Notta for Heath's entire tenure.  I hope he is turning it around.  We have been down WAY too long.

pheine78

Quote from: 12under on February 27, 2006, 10:14:00 am

i guess "small minded" people dont actually care about any race issues.  i for one don't.  i guess it makes a difference to you.  the real issue for you is you wanting to fire heath.  

That's what I wanted to say, but my small mind wouldn't let me!!!
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

hogfan x

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 27, 2006, 10:13:06 am
I'm ready for a change too.  Lets start over with another coach just when the program is about to be back.  Ignore the fact the program is continuing to improve on the court and in talent.  Didn't happen fast enough.  Lets move on.  Forget the fact how wrong and misinformed so many have been in their criticism and we have seen no evidence that the program under Stan has come close to hitting its ceiling.  Lets take a vote on who the fans want and hire them.  Gillespie, Sadler and Coach A can be in the race.

Do I detect sarcasm???????

Finally win a few games and lets start over. 
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

hogfan064

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 27, 2006, 10:19:30 am
Then why aren't we ranked in the Top 10?  Top 25?  Notta for Heath's entire tenure.  I hope he is turning it around.  We have been down WAY too long.

Gotta ask coach that question.  Yeah I know we won 3 big games, but like I've said many times the Hogs are supposed to win these games.  We're not supposed to lose to Ole Miss and MSU.  I expected sweet 16  from this team at the beginning of the year.  I'll be dissapointed and angry at Heath for nothing less.  This is a very talented group that for most of the season has underachieved.  Sorry, but I won't be satisfied with just an appearance and no wins in the Dance

Hawgdawgrain

North Carolina is not in the top 10...

Is that a top 10 job?

The post was directed toward the program, not necessarily the current team.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 27, 2006, 10:27:52 am

Gotta ask coach that question.  Yeah I know we won 3 big games, but like I've said many times the Hogs are supposed to win these games.  We're not supposed to lose to Ole Miss and MSU.  I expected sweet 16  from this team at the beginning of the year.  I'll be dissapointed and angry at Heath for nothing less.  This is a very talented group that for most of the season has underachieved.  Sorry, but I won't be satisfied with just an appearance and no wins in the Dance

Exactly.  In the past we were the team in the Top 10 or winning the SEC not the underdog that knocks off these SEC teams.  We have accepted horrible results from this program for too long.

Flatfoot

Hey it sounds like Tubby might be wanting to leave Kentucky as well this year.  I would love to have Tubby. 

Losing Stan would not bother me at all.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

othermac

after everything heath has been thru with our program, i seriously doubt that as he is finally getting some good results, he would be ready to jump up and take another job, leaving what is potentially as good as any coaching job  as there is out there. that would be like a glutton for punishment. me i would like to sit back, take a breath and enjoy the fruits of my labor for a day or 2, not start over after 3 years of hardships.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

hogwildinhouston

February 27, 2006, 11:26:08 am #31 Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:29:11 am by hogwildinhouston
Quote from: Getting Porked on February 27, 2006, 11:09:44 am
Hey it sounds like Tubby might be wanting to leave Kentucky as well this year.  I would love to have Tubby. 

Losing Stan would not bother me at all.

I agree that Stan leaving on his own could be a blessing in disguise.  Lot of big names would come back into play at that point, with no real race concerns.  Tim Floyd pops to the top of my list.  Self might even be interested if the coin is right, although with his young team really catching fire, he may want to ride these guys a few more years.  I've always liked Leonard Hamilton at FSU, athough he's not quite as big a name as the other 2.  Hopefully we would open up the checkbook, which I guess is always a question with Broyles.

Just curious though, why would you want Tubby?  He's been in decline at Kentucky for the last several years.  If he can't win the SEC at Kentucky, why should we think he can win the SEC title at Arkansas?

hoggin das

The program is just now turning the corner, with the foundation laid for a string of NCAA apearances.  The grass is not always greener folks.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogfan064 on February 27, 2006, 09:59:51 am

2. A SEC school
5. Tradition and lots of it.  Hogs rank top 15 in about every category you can think of

Maybe you noticed the listing I had of the number of times schools had won 30+ games in college basketball.  Arkansas's right up there, tied for second behind Duke.
[CENSORED]!

hogfan064

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 27, 2006, 12:04:54 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on February 27, 2006, 09:59:51 am

2. A SEC school

Maybe you noticed the listing I had of the number of times schools had won 30+ games in college basketball.  Arkansas's right up there, tied for second behind Duke.

I did notice it.  Hogs are tied with several teams for 2nd on that list. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 27, 2006, 10:37:54 am

Exactly.  In the past we were the team in the Top 10 or winning the SEC not the underdog that knocks off these SEC teams.  We have accepted horrible results from this program for too long.

Accepted horrible results or understood the rebuilding our program had to go through?

Boner

You know why we're a top 10 job?

Because we can put an NIT-caliber team (at the time) on the floor, on a tuesday night, against an unranked opponent (Bama) and still draw 18,500 in attendance.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

I doubt Stan will leave. They probably will not offer more money. The only reason I could see leaving would be that the demands (expectations) are not near as high as at Arkansas.

hogfan064

Quote from: ShortHog on February 27, 2006, 12:37:32 pm
I doubt Stan will leave. They probably will not offer more money. The only reason I could see leaving would be that the demands (expectations) are not near as high as at Arkansas.

I don't think Heath should be given a salary increase or contract extension for making the NCAA tourney.  That should be an expected part of his job.  If we go to the sweet 16 then we increase his salary a little.

freedomcounty

He's not going anywhere. He might, however, use this like Nutt used the Nebraska thing to get a raise if the year ends on a high note.

Hogs4Ever

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 27, 2006, 12:07:54 pm
Quote from: Hogs4Ever on February 27, 2006, 10:37:54 am

Accepted horrible results or understood the rebuilding our program had to go through?

Look at Pearl at Tennessee.  Stansbury at 'Bama.  Rebuilding should NOT take 4 years!

hog caller

i thought the only requirement was to get to the dance. i didn't know y'all wanted to win them at the dance, gooooooolie!

what's it going to take for you to be a heath booster. hwell i bet you you gripe that we didn't win by more points than we did.

great going Coach lets win the nest two ,then concentrate on the conference but lets start with Miss. St.

we can't change yesterday and we can't change tomorrow. and now what can we do about today. get on the heath bus, doors open.

Go Hogs

wishyjoshy

nwarazfan, (this is serious, not sarcastic)
What would the terms be of you, personally, wanting to see Stan or any basketball coach let go?  I am speaking specifically of our university.  I would think that those terms would be different at each school.

Calling All Hogs

Hire Houston Nutt as our bb coach. BB would suck but our football program is bound to improve.  A split is better than both sucking. LOL

nwarazfan

Quote from: JFen on February 27, 2006, 01:57:15 pm
nwarazfan, (this is serious, not sarcastic)
What would the terms be of you, personally, wanting to see Stan or any basketball coach let go?  I am speaking specifically of our university.  I would think that those terms would be different at each school.

In this case, if it became obvious that Stan did not have the program improving towards making it back to being an NCAAT team every year.  If it became clear that Stan's program has hit a ceiling before we get back to being a top 25 team capable yearly of making runs in the tourney.  The program has been gradually getting better each year.  We are only a couple of pieces away from being back among college basketball's elite.  Those pieces have cost us some close games this year and are the difference between us being 19-8 and 22-5 and top 20 and playing for a top 5 seed.  Our fan base needed to have patience for this rebuilding project.  Just a little more patience and we'll be there. 

And don't paint me as a sunshine homer.  I started trying to point out that Nutt was in over his head years ago on message boards and took abuse until just recently when my thoughts were proven to be true.  Looks like my asking our fans for patience with Heath will turn out correct too.

Lokirain

Let me say this again, Heath is under contract, he's not just leaving.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Lokirain on February 27, 2006, 02:17:19 pm
Let me say this again, Heath is under contract, he's not just leaving.

Hide and watch. 

dman

:-\ All season I have said if we do not make the dance, get rid of Heath.  These past 3 games have been great, reminds me of the glory years.  I still think Stan needs to be more assertive, but he is now doing something right, the team listened to him and have won.  He has gotten Townes attention and Hill is getting his hands on the ball.  I love the Hogs and now sheepishly admit I am on the Heath bandwagon.  Go Hogs Go kick the crap out of msu. :razorback:

wishyjoshy

nwarazfan,

Thanks for the explaination.  While I tend to think that Stan will be a good coach, I don't think he will ever get to the point of a Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Coach K, Gary Williams, Bob Knight, Lute Olson, or even Mark Few or Bill Self.  At the time he was hired, he may have been our only real choice for the job. (I don't think Mike Anderson would have been the man, either.)  Maybe, at that time, we couldn't get Self or Floyd.  Maybe Stan was the best that we could do.
Fans, like me - at least, want a guy that we can name the court after.  Someone that I could send my kid off to his basketball cam and be assured that he is going to be taught all of the fundamentals - the right way.  After Nolan, we felt that we should have a coach that would represent all the great things about Nolan and leave the race card at home.  While Stan is improving, I still haven't seen anything from him that would show he is deserving of a job at UA.  (Past three games have shown signs of not only the team's improvement, but his as well.)  We took a gamble on a guy who has 1 year experience and one post season tournament and experience as an assistant at Michigan St. - who was only good because Michigan was under investigation by the NCAA.  He may turn out to be solid like a Bruce Webber or Billy Donovan, but I am very arrogant and selfish when it comes to UA Basketball and think we deserve the best. 

I hope this allows you to see my point of view.  I am not trying to convince you, but telling you how I see the cards.  Your point of view is interesting to me.  And while I don't agree with you, it has bettered me to at least know why you stand they way you do on these issues.

Lokirain

I don't think anyone was a huge Heath fan until now, me included. But the guy needed some time, to build his program and learn his coaching style. Stan earns money for his job and can handle the criticism. I'm willing to give credit where credit is due. Good job Stan, now let's make a little run in the NCAA Tournament.