Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ken Hatfield

Started by Tweeter, November 10, 2017, 09:13:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 10, 2017, 12:48:15 pm
No thanks.

He intentionally torpedoed the program to spite Broyles with zero regard that it would also hurt the average Hog fan.

As a fan I have suffered through the consequences of his actions. Don't want him anywhere near the program I care about.

Are you serious.

55-17-1
2 straight SWC titles
36-10 SWC record

That's hardly torpedoing the program

PorkRinds

Quote from: The NewEra on November 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm
One of the concerns I would have about Tubberville are in the same talk he said we should continue games in L.R.  I think that ship has sailed and especially since WM needs extensive upgrades just to be approved by the SEC.  Also, with the stadium improvements in Fayetteville it would be hard to justify.
That's true too. I had forgotten that he said that.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: JLaHawg on November 10, 2017, 01:32:19 pm
Can somebody elaborate about how Hatfield did this?  I always heard that he was a pretty straightforward guy.  I certainly remember that he basically got fired for running the ball, despite his W/L being solid. Yes, he lost those bowl games and maybe his philosophy was not trendy, but aside from Petrino, which coach has had a trendy/effective offense?  Houston Nutt is the closest thing and that's mostly because of Gus. I there are people who hide in a closet with a dimly lit bulb, still studying the chronicles of Nutt/McFadden/Felix/Donna/Mitch and the Springdale 5/I called that play brutha, etc etc.  Plus Broyles buddied up with Nutt like he was a son or something while he was basically going senile and would not react to how poorly the football team was being managed.  Petrino got busted taking a bike ride with a hottie and got rightfully fired.  Nutt exchanged 16 zillion text messages with his "friend" Donna and they acted like that was business as usual.

What went on between Hatfield and Broyles?  I figure Hatfield was way more solid in the ethics and coaching departments than most of our coaches have ever dreamed of.

1984   Arkansas   12   7   4   1   .625   10.82   2.91            Liberty Bowl-L   
1985   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   13.12   0.79   15   4   12   Holiday Bowl-W   
1986   Arkansas   12   9   3   0   .750   9.48   0.40   19   8   15   Orange Bowl-L   
1987   Arkansas   13   9   4   0   .692   7.87   0.79   12   10      Liberty Bowl-L   
1988   Arkansas   12   10   2   0   .833   10.95   1.37      8   12   Cotton Bowl-L

a large part of it was personality. broyles was catching some fire for kenny preaching on tv, constantly. he'd ask kenny to tone it down [and broyles was a heavy methodist], and kenny wouldn't do it. broyles was catching heat because hatfield would not throw the ball, even when we had beer drinkers that could catch a hot greased anvil [shiebest].

kenny did not have a lot of former teammates that were friends, so his base was thin.

broyles knew that the offense needed to be modernized somewhat; kenny resisted.

but in the end, it was a long personality battles that toppled the cart.
The rest of the frog.

greenie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 03:22:09 pm
I asked that eariler in this thread and got nothing, nadda, zip, zilch in response

Sorry I missed your post.  I think that this is an interesting question, especially if you take a little time to research current AD's around the P5 programs and look at their hiring records.  One thing that is painfully obvious: hiring coaches is very hard.  As stated over and over, hiring (in any field, really) is a roll of the dice.  Few, if any, seem to be really good at it.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 01:05:31 pm
As much as people here do not like it, the role of AD needs to be filled by someone with a business background, but more importantly for a school as big as the UofA, someone with prior AD experience.

That's not necessary with all the legal council at the AD's disposal.  I'd take someone with clear expertise in football and experience.  I think that might be a former player, who has retired and has AD experience who might fill in on an interim basis.  Hummm...

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 10, 2017, 03:44:18 pm
Let's face it...Arkansas is a unique fit...very unique.  Thus, it would work best with some sort of Arkansas fit, former Hog great, former Hog coach.  I think Bill Montgomery...and his golf game is solid...even at the Alotian.  I spoke to Coach Hatfield in an elevator in LR....after the game...I told him 'it would have been great to have you on the sideline tonight'.....he said 'I would have enjoyed that'.  Montgomery or Hatfield...2 good Arkansas choices both with plenty of love for the U of A.

this
is
nonsense. [unique?].
The rest of the frog.

phadedhawg

Hatfield was a great coach for Arkansas and did great things for us but that was a very long time ago.  Let him do his radio spots during Razorback broadcasts and leave the man in peace. 

elviscat

How about Tom Bowen at the University of Memphis. He is the one who hired Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell, that would give us a football guy at AD and someone who knows how to hire coaches.