Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Kodi Burns posts

Started by HAM ELLIOT, November 09, 2006, 01:36:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard_white

A new recruiting coordinator.  Keep a muzzle on Dudley Dawson and Otis.  I would say that would be a good start.

HedgeDweller

Quote from: HoopHog on November 09, 2006, 02:44:06 pm
Quote from: pigfoot on November 09, 2006, 02:40:49 pm
I thought we had "the future" (MM) already on the roster, not to mention a soph who can also get the job done.  Why in the world would Kodi even consider the Hogs unless he just loves the helmet?  For sure, he would have been a good one to pick up, but it's hard to blame HDN or GM for not keeping him in state.  He made a good decision.

You are kidding...right?  There are a lot of reasons for blaming Nutt for not keeping this kid in state.  For starters the whole snaffu of trying to play this ridiculous race card to gain Burns' commitment.  Congrats Nutt...that ridiculous move blew up in your ignorant face...while you bite your nails!  I will tell you right her and right now that Houston Dale Nutt...and all of his cronie blabber mouth suckups (Dudley Dawson, Otis the Jerk, etc...) royally screwed the pooch on this one!

Don't start that BS about Arkansas playing the 'race card' unless you have some proof to back it up.

DoubleJ

I would have ripped my shirt off, and then levitated.

hogsanity

Quote from: PulledPork on November 09, 2006, 02:58:19 pm
lemme guess, Insanity....you knew all along he wasn't coming, right?  You are a tool and a small one at that!!

Pulled out...

I did not KNOW, but I had a pretty good idea.  I have had several people in my store who are teachers and students at Northside, and everyone of them, when asked, has said that Kodi was not going to Arkansas. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jameshogfan

I woulda gave him $20, a used VW Rabbit, straight A's, and a crapload of promises I couldn't keep.

Not sure if it woulda worked though.

HogFanLR

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 09, 2006, 03:01:10 pm
I'm more concerned with losing Ziemba, Pinalto, Green, and Henry.  Hopefully, Henry flips but I'm not sold on the others.

What do you think about losing all of those SEC caliber athletes Mr. Can't Do Any Better?

That would be a blow, I do not think we get Green regardless.  We need Ziemba.  To use a football analogy we are not even out of the first half yet, so lets hope we do better.  Winning usually cures most ills.  

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: jammerhog on November 09, 2006, 02:47:11 pm
he would have turned out to be a robert johnson anyway, GOOD RIDDANCE

Stupid arse attitudes like this can't be good for recruiting!

King-Tusk

If you were Kodi Burns and had to choose between Arkansas and Auburn, who would you choose?  Keep in mind none of us were with him through this decision and are looking at this from the vantage point of fans.  I think Auburn is a better fit for Kodi and he will get to play for Tommy Tuberville.  I truly wish Kodi the best, but I feel we have two QB's on campus now who will be better passing QB's than Kodi and most fans on here wish for us to throw the ball more anyway.  

Good luck Kodi, we wish you luck!
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: HogFaninGA on November 09, 2006, 03:01:20 pm
Let's not just concentrate on Burns. Lets look at HDN's recruiting last year and this year so far.  HDN would of not got Crawford, Mitch, Williams, and Cleveland (and probably a couple of others), if it wasn't for Gus.  Those players came b/c of Gus, not b/c of HDN.  This year HDN has already lost Pinalto, Green, Burns, and most likely Ziemba to other schools.  When does HDN take personal responsibility for these losses?  Is he always going to be given clemency by some of you people?

None of the Huggers will blame Nutt until after he is gone and left the cupboard bare.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Richard_white

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 09, 2006, 03:04:41 pm
Quote from: HogFanLR on November 09, 2006, 03:04:00 pm
I'm more concerned with losing Ziemba, Pinalto, Green, and Henry.  Hopefully, Henry flips but I'm not sold on the others.

What do you think about losing all of those SEC caliber athletes Mr. Can't Do Any Better?

That would be a blow, I do not think we get Green regardless.  We need Ziemba.  To use a football analogy we are not even out of the first half yet, so lets hope we do better.  Winning usually cures most ills.  

You should see my post from earlier regarding your last line.

If winning cures recruiting than the 98 season should have opened doors to recruiting.  Winning does not cure everything.

By the way, good post Fresh

jhawg

Named Robert Johnson as starting QB and sent Dick and Mitch to defense.  :)
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

HedgeDweller

November 09, 2006, 03:06:47 pm #162 Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:08:35 pm by HedgeDweller
And also, addressing our QB depth - we have another QBs the roster that is familiar with Malzahns system, having to redshirt after transferring from Missouri Southern after setting passing records there as a freshman...

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=526209&Q_SEASON=2006

hogsanity

I dont like it, but no one keeps them all.  I dont keep up with recruiting like some of you guys do.  Most of what I know, I read here.  Some of them I understand.  Like Ziemba, he has been sppon fed Auburn since he was born.  I dont understand Green.  Leaving yes, going to USC, where they have so many Tb's they dont have enough numbers for them.  You would think a running back would love to come here right now. 

Now, answer the question I asked, how would you have gotten Kodi to come here?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

artyhog

I hope the Hogs gets the rest.

Kodi wasn't coming.

Let"s move on.

Deuce Pigelow

how about run the offense, you told the players you got now, that you said you would run.

311Hog

The only one i think Arkansas must get is Lee, the rest we can live without. I am dead serious i would rather have Harris from Tulsa over Green, and we have young talent at QB so that isnt something we had to have right now.

Am i saying i would turn away Green and Burns ? hell no you always take talent when you can, but i am saying that there is no need what so ever to "panic" about it.  Looking at our roster we are losing linemen and Defensive personel in the next 2 years thats what we NEED to fill.

pigfoot

I thought we had "the future" (MM) already on the roster, not to mention a soph who can also get the job done.  Why in the world would Kodi even consider the Hogs unless he just loves the helmet?  For sure, he would have been a good one to pick up, but it's hard to blame HDN or GM for not keeping him in state.  He made a good decision.

You are kidding...right?  There are a lot of reasons for blaming Nutt for not keeping this kid in state.  For starters the whole snaffu of trying to play this ridiculous race card to gain Burns' commitment.  Congrats Nutt...that ridiculous move blew up in your ignorant face...while you bite your nails!  I will tell you right her and right now that Houston Dale Nutt...and all of his cronie blabber mouth suckups (Dudley Dawson, Otis the Jerk, etc...) royally screwed the pooch on this one!

Hoop, I don't know whether you've ever had a youngster go through the recruiting wars.  I have.  He was an all-state defensive back who was recruited out of Archbishop Shaw High School in New Orleans by Tulane, LSU, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.  He had dreamed of going to LSU all of his life, but when the time came, he chose Georgia.  Why?  Because the opportunity for early playing time was greater at Georgia, and because it was a chance to get away from home.  Based on his experience and the experiences of some of his friends who were also being recruited, I can tell you that getting away from home and the prospect of early playing time are paramount in those kinds of decisions.  And, I think that's what Kodi just said.  The Hogs couldn't offer either of those opportunities.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

HogFanLR

Quote from: Richard_white on November 09, 2006, 03:06:11 pm
Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 09, 2006, 03:04:41 pm
Quote from: HogFanLR on November 09, 2006, 03:04:00 pm

You should see my post from earlier regarding your last line.

If winning cures recruiting than the 98 season should have opened doors to recruiting.  Winning does not cure everything.

By the way, good post Fresh

You are right about that, but this is not 98.  And hopefully we are better prepared to capitalize.  Our cubboard is not bear and next year will be a good year as well regardless of what happens in recruiting this year (don't yell I didn't say that it is a throw away year--it is not) I am saying the recruiting pitch is we are not a one year wonder...and we clearly are not.  

hogsanity

Wow, I thought some of you would have great answers on how we could have gotten Kodi.

jcooper

The negativity on this Board will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If I were Kodi and read this stuff, I wouldn't want to come here either.  We really need to clean this up guys.

Hawgon

Recruiting is about relationships.  It is about relationships with players and with their high school coaches.  

First, we have to have a coordinated plan to determine what kind of players we want and at what positions.  We have to then determine where these players are and make contact with them BEFORE their senior year in high school.  Once we have made contact with these players, we need to maintain the relationships and do everything we can to extoll the virtues of the area, the university, and the program.

Secondly, we need to develop and maintain relationships with high school coaches.  That includes regular calls from HDN and other coaches to talk, ask advice, seek information about players, etc..   It means calling up a high school coach on his birthday or congratulating him on the birth of a child.  It means letting them know that you value them as people and respect them for what they do all the time, NOT JUST WHEN THEY HAVE A KID YOU WANT.

When you do these sorts of things, players will follow.  It is the formula that guys like Mack Brown follow.  I know for a fact that Mack calls up high school coaches out of the blue to say happy birthday and other things like that.  You may call it cheesy, but it works and it is the kind of dedication and attention to detail that is needed to be successful today.

HDN has alienated high school coaches around the state.  There should never be a situation where a high school coach program (Warren) is off limits to our school.  HDN needs to do whatever necessary to mend fences.  Don't screw around kids, and if you make a scholarship offer or tell something to a kid, make damn sure you follow through.

It isn't brain surgery.  Recruiting is about character.  IT IS NO COINCIDENCE THAT AFTER NINE YEARS INSTATE RECRUITING IS REALLY STARTING TO SUFFER UNDER HDN.  THE INSTATE KIDS AND COACHES ARE, AFTERALL, THE ONES WHO KNOW HDN AND HIS CHARACTER BEST.  

Beaverfever

It's funny that he mentioned that Cox is a Jr. in his reasoning.  The whole recruiting process he was saying "I'm not scared of competition.  Mitch Mustain who? etc".  Guess he was a little scurred after all.

donthaveone

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2006, 02:56:59 pm
With 2 good Qb's in front of him.  One of which is a Freshman who was Gatorade player of they Year in HS.  How would you have convinced him to be a Hog?

You act like AU has two walkons for him to compete with. Cox has one more Year. His backup (Fields) is only a SO. and maybe there most highly recruited QB is a redshirting **** star FR. stud who was thought to be just a notch below Mustain, Stafford and Tebow last year. Neal Caudle from Alabama.

So if Burns didn't go to UA because of MM and Dick, than he, his parents and coaches are not very informed.

jameshogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2006, 03:11:35 pm
Wow, I thought some of you would have great answers on how we could have gotten Kodi.

Okay... Okay... So I fibbed on my first post.

I would have given him the student directory with the cheerleaders phone numbers Highlighted for him. And, I would have hidden a key to a new Jaguar inside of it.

PulledPork

Get rid of Nuttboi!

Pulled out...

Landonhog

Quote from: cbad on November 09, 2006, 03:04:30 pm
Let's not just concentrate on Burns. Lets look at HDN's recruiting last year and this year so far.  HDN would of not got Crawford, Mitch, Williams, and Cleveland (and probably a couple of others), if it wasn't for Gus.  Those players came b/c of Gus, not b/c of HDN.  This year HDN has already lost Pinalto, Green, Burns, and most likely Ziemba to other schools.  When does HDN take personal responsibility for these losses?  Is he always going to be given clemency by some of you people?

None of the Huggers will blame Nutt until after he is gone and left the cupboard bare.

Yep, lookin reeeeeeeal bare....  DMac, Jones, MM, MM, CD, LC, BC, DW, CS, FF, MH, etc... 

Turnberry

I'm a freaking businessman, not a college football coach you idiot.   It's Nutt's job to acquire elite talent via recruiting and he failed the Kodi Burns project.

aka PlanoHog

SultanofSwine

Nobody gets them all but I dare anyone to find a school that doesn't get a single player listed in that states top 10 recruits, esp when they are the only school playing in a power conference.

At what point do we need to change the board name to the Ostrich Roost?

pi

I wouldn't have tried. We need that scholorship next year for another position, for example DBs.  He was a low proirity IMO.  We're thinking about national championships.

hogsanity

Quote from: Turnberry on November 09, 2006, 03:16:19 pm
I'm a freaking businessman, not a college football coach you idiot.   It's Nutt's job to acquire elite talent via recruiting and he failed the Kodi Burns project.

Quote from: PulledPork on November 09, 2006, 02:58:19 pm
lemme guess, Insanity....you knew all along he wasn't coming, right?  You are a tool and a small one at that!!

Pulled out...

Wow I got called a idiot and a tool in the same thread, looks like I am back.

Not that any of you care, but I would have told kodi that we would find a place for his athletic ability to be utilized.  He would have a shot at QB, but WR might be a place for him to play sooner than later.

Cajun Hog

Let's not just concentrate on Burns. Lets look at HDN's recruiting last year and this year so far.  HDN would of not got Crawford, Mitch, Williams, and Cleveland (and probably a couple of others), if it wasn't for Gus.  Those players came b/c of Gus, not b/c of HDN.  This year HDN has already lost Pinalto, Green, Burns, and most likely Ziemba to other schools.  When does HDN take personal responsibility for these losses?  Is he always going to be given clemency by some of you people?

This is a lose, but GUS was the main recruiter on both of these kids. There is plenty of blame for all, not just one person.

SultanofSwine

What does it say to you blind loyalist that in the very year that we are one of the hottest teams in the country, the best talent in this small state wants nothing to do with Nutt?

Landonhog

Quote from: Turnberry on November 09, 2006, 03:16:19 pm
I'm a freaking businessman, not a college football coach you idiot.   It's Nutt's job to acquire elite talent via recruiting and he failed the Kodi Burns project.

"Settle down Francis..."

strawhog

Thanks houston for continually dragging arkansas football to hell.

jkstock04

I disagree.  One of Kody's biggest motovations for going to Auburn was for academic reasons....I guess whatever field he's going into has a better program at Auburn than at Arkansas.  This was one of the biggest reasons for going to Auburn....so when looking at that fact, I don't think you can put all the blame on Nutt.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

dcrain

Quote from: opineonswine on November 09, 2006, 03:00:47 pm
With 2 good Qb's in front of him.  One of which is a Freshman who was Gatorade player of they Year in HS.  How would you have convinced him to be a Hog?

switched to a more entertaining and fun offense so players would want to come play here.  Old style, playing not to lose doesn't entice many studs.

Bingo.

HogFaninGA

Quote from: Hog1961 on November 09, 2006, 03:20:25 pm
Let's not just concentrate on Burns. Lets look at HDN's recruiting last year and this year so far.  HDN would of not got Crawford, Mitch, Williams, and Cleveland (and probably a couple of others), if it wasn't for Gus.  Those players came b/c of Gus, not b/c of HDN.  This year HDN has already lost Pinalto, Green, Burns, and most likely Ziemba to other schools.  When does HDN take personal responsibility for these losses?  Is he always going to be given clemency by some of you people?

This is a lose, but GUS was the main recruiter on both of these kids. There is plenty of blame for all, not just one person.

Like I have stated numerous times, some people will never blame HDN for anything no matter what he does or doesn't do.  Some people's loyalties are to HDN, not our program.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Quick Trigger™ on November 09, 2006, 03:25:04 pm

The head coach should always take the majority of the blame.  That's why he gets paid 8-10 times the salary of his assistants.  He needs to be there to shoulder the load when times are rough.  Right now they aren't too hot in recruiting. 

These guys better win Saturday or we'll be right back to square one again.

I agree with most except some of our assistiants are making 4 to 5 (G) a year and need to produce more.  Winning cure almost ALL.

jhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on November 09, 2006, 03:12:51 pm
Recruiting is about relationships.  It is about relationships with players and with their high school coaches.  

First, we have to have a coordinated plan to determine what kind of players we want and at what positions.  We have to then determine where these players are and make contact with them BEFORE their senior year in high school.  Once we have made contact with these players, we need to maintain the relationships and do everything we can to extoll the virtues of the area, the university, and the program.

Secondly, we need to develop and maintain relationships with high school coaches.  That includes regular calls from HDN and other coaches to talk, ask advice, seek information about players, etc..   It means calling up a high school coach on his birthday or congratulating him on the birth of a child.  It means letting them know that you value them as people and respect them for what they do all the time, NOT JUST WHEN THEY HAVE A KID YOU WANT.

When you do these sorts of things, players will follow.  It is the formula that guys like Mack Brown follow.  I know for a fact that Mack calls up high school coaches out of the blue to say happy birthday and other things like that.  You may call it cheesy, but it works and it is the kind of dedication and attention to detail that is needed to be successful today.

HDN has alienated high school coaches around the state.  There should never be a situation where a high school coach program (Warren) is off limits to our school.  HDN needs to do whatever necessary to mend fences.  Don't screw around kids, and if you make a scholarship offer or tell something to a kid, make damn sure you follow through.

It isn't brain surgery.  Recruiting is about character.  IT IS NO COINCIDENCE THAT AFTER NINE YEARS INSTATE RECRUITING IS REALLY STARTING TO SUFFER UNDER HDN.  THE INSTATE KIDS AND COACHES ARE, AFTERALL, THE ONES WHO KNOW HDN AND HIS CHARACTER BEST.  

I don't think anyone on this board should be attacking the character of anyone. If you think HDN sucks as a coach and a recruiter that is fine. This is a game... it is not life. Our character is who we are and what we do when no one else is around. Humans make mistakes.

Enough of  the sermon... I just think we need to keep our discussions on sports and strategy. If you think HDN does not do a good job of keeping in touch with coaches and recruits...I'm down with that.       
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninGA on November 09, 2006, 03:28:02 pm

Like I have stated numerous times, some people will never blame HDN for anything no matter what he does or doesn't do.  Some people's loyalties are to HDN, not our program.

How do we know it was anything Nutt did or did not do?  Maybe Kodi did not want to come here behind Mitch?  Maybe he wanted to get out of the state. Has Kodi said WHY he chose Aub?

jhawg

I'm willing to blame him for some things.... just not everything.

By the way... if you were in the class of 1996, I think it is safe to say that some on here were supporters of this program when you were in diapers.

NATEHOGG216

Why do we still care?  GOODBYE, there is the door.  We wanted you but if you want Aubbie then go get it.  Peace, see ya when we are kickin your arse in a couple of years.  When you come to town next year, just know that all of your old friends and neighbors are cheering against your team.  Goodluck!
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

HogFaninGA

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2006, 03:31:49 pm

How do we know it was anything Nutt did or did not do?  Maybe Kodi did not want to come here behind Mitch?  Maybe he wanted to get out of the state. Has Kodi said WHY he chose Aub?

Maybe you are right about Kodi and maybe you are wrong.  My point is that HDN would of lost all the Sprindale kids last year if it wasn't for Gus and this year he has already lost Burns, Green, Pinalto, and most likely Ziemba.  When will HDN take personal responsibility for his lack of recruiting skills?

NATEHOGG216

We all know he was good, but dick and mm can play and will be.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

311Hog

jkstock04

This thread gets deleted in 3.....2....1....
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

1stwordswerewoopig

Quote from: opineonswine on November 09, 2006, 03:00:47 pm

switched to a more entertaining and fun offense so players would want to come play here.  Old style, playing not to lose doesn't entice many studs.
So D-Mac, F. Jones, Hillis, Monk, Mustain, Dick, D. Williams, etc. aren't studs?  How about our O-Line that has been dominating people?

It seems to me that our recruiting efforts have fallen short on the defensive side of the ball more often than on the offense.

That would but a dent in your argument.

If we all knew how to entice the best athletes to a particular school, I assume that we would all be hired as recruiting coordinators.

Hogeye_Pierce

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

deucea729

November 09, 2006, 03:37:12 pm #199 Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:41:05 pm by deucea729
Amen to that.  GO HOGS!