Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath's digging himself a hole early...

Started by Marshfieldhog, November 08, 2006, 09:37:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King-Tusk

I'm going to wait until the basketball season actually gets underway and we play some real games before getting together a lynch mob to go after SH.  Not all teams play in November the way the will in March.

Remember the Spring football game this year.  All we heard was negative from that and here we sit in November, 8-1 discussing which BCS Bowl we'll go to and why we're ranked so low.

We'll get 20+ wins this season and make at least a second round showing in the NCAA tourney, count on that.

"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

Pork Twain

I agree SH has not impressed me much with his coaching but to complain about his recruiting is ridiculous.  Who do we have graduating this year???  Wouldn't you like to be able to sign one next year?  I would...  SH took his best shot and I hope he swallows this scholarship and uses it on a high profile player next year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rzrbks1

forget total wins that can be accomplished by playing a bunch of cup cakes seems like we had one of those schedules two years ago, and look at conference play that is the real stick to measure a coach by. and lets not forget the man is getting 800,000 plus to coach this team, we should demand no less than an ncaa invite every year. and for all the "lets just wait and see people" im here to tell you this team better gell quickly or we are looking at 14 to 15 wins this season. 

H-O-double g

November 08, 2006, 12:25:17 pm #53 Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:28:06 pm by H-O-double g
Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 08, 2006, 10:03:38 am
Three problems....

# 1- This is year five and ZERO NCAA wins under Heath.

# 2-  Heath turned down 2 players that were rated high waiting on Anderson..not a good idea.

# 3- And  most important to JFB...Ticket sales have declined the last 5 years under Heath. Wins are going up and ticket sales are going down which means fans are not excited about Heath.

I hope Heath does well, goes to the sweet 16, and returns a Final Four type club next year but reality paints a different picture...we will see during the next few months.
As far as I'm concerned this is year 3.........years 1 and 2 don't count! Seriously, how was he supposed to win in the SEC with Satchell, Gomez, Lane, Eddins. That's who he was left with. Dean Smith nor Phil Jackson couldnt' have won with those guys.

H-O-double g

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 12:34:15 pm
Quote from: H-O-double g on November 08, 2006, 12:25:17 pm
Three problems....

# 2-  Heath turned down 2 players that were rated high waiting on Anderson..not a good idea.

# 3- And  most important to JFB...Ticket sales have declined the last 5 years under Heath. Wins are going up and ticket sales are going down which means fans are not excited about Heath.

I hope Heath does well, goes to the sweet 16, and returns a Final Four type club next year but reality paints a different picture...we will see during the next few months.
As far as I'm concerned this is year 3.........years 1 and 2 don't count! Seriously, how was he supposed to win in the SEC with Satchell, Gomez, Lane, Eddins. That's who he was left with. Dean Smith nor Phil Jackson couldnt' have won with those guys.

How did he not win with that team last year?  He barely saved his job.
In the last month, they beat Bama, Florida(Nat champ), and on the road at Tennessee. Played good in two games in the SEC tourney. Unfortunately, we just ran into Florida, which nobody could beat as hot as they were.

Pork Twain

To get knocked out in the first round with the kind of players we had falls back on the coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

hog_fan

How do you fire a coach who has made improvement each year an Nutt stays with losing seasons? That just would provide more evidence Broyles is a Racist.

Pork Twain

If you HAVE to bring race into it then you can also say HDN took us to the post-season each of his first 6 years and on our way to 7 out of nine.  Stan took us to one NCAA and lost in the first round.

12under

Quote from: BeoPig on November 08, 2006, 12:41:25 pm
To get knocked out in the first round with the kind of players we had falls back on the coach.
to me, if I'm a better player than you, and i lose to you, then its my OWN fault.  I didnt execute like i should have

Pork Twain

Quote from: 12under on November 08, 2006, 01:06:46 pm
to me, if I'm a better player than you, and i lose to you, then its my OWN fault.  I didnt execute like i should have
To me, if I am a better player than you and my teammates are better than yours and your coach has a better game plan than mine then it falls on my coach.  For a player to play outside the gameplan is not team play.  It was up to SH to study film and have the right gameplan, not the players.

12under

Quote from: BeoPig on November 08, 2006, 01:11:33 pm
To me, if I am a better player than you and my teammates are better than yours and your coach has a better game plan than mine then it falls on my coach.  For a player to play outside the gameplan is not team play.  It was up to SH to study film and have the right gameplan, not the players.
well, we've just figured out that we disagree.  thats what makes the world go round.  i think that in the case of the bucknell game, their "gameplan" wasnt lightyears ahead of ours, they just executed it better than we did.   anyway, its ALWAYS a team game no matter what

razorpimp

Quote from: BeoPig on November 08, 2006, 12:59:57 pm
If you HAVE to bring race into it then you can also say HDN took us to the post-season each of his first 6 years and on our way to 7 out of nine.  Stan took us to one NCAA and lost in the first round.

Do you remember those 6 years of post-season excellence????

1998 31-45 L Michigan
1999 27-6 W Texas
2000 14-31 L UNLV???
2001 3-10 L Oklahoma
2002 14-29 L Minnesota???
2003 27-14 W Missouri???
2004 no bowl
2005 no bowl

Not exactly stellar........we have one quality bowl win out of 8 seasons

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorpimp on November 08, 2006, 01:16:33 pm

1998 31-45 L Michigan
1999 27-6 W Texas
2000 14-31 L UNLV???
2001 3-10 L Oklahoma
2003 27-14 W Missouri???
2004 no bowl
2005 no bowl

Did I say they were great???  Nope, but they were post-season games and two of them were wins.  That is more than I can say for SH.  I wish he could coach like he recruits.  Maybe this year he will.

jm

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 09:50:06 am
I graduated from the hill in 04 and since then have been out of state. From reading this message board it seems like everybody is getting on heath's back. why? Every year he has coached here he has won more games than the previous year.
gotta agree with you. he hasn't done anything wrong. they havn't even played a game yet. it doesn't matter if they win the national championship this year, some people are going to call for stan to be fired. it is really kind of rediculous when you think about it.

hogfankb

Quote from: BeoPig on November 08, 2006, 01:11:33 pm

If play the exact same game as we did but make our free throws we win. That loss can be blamed on just about anyone just depends on how you want to spin it.

Buff

Quote from: rzrbkman on November 08, 2006, 11:38:12 am
Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on November 08, 2006, 10:12:38 am
Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:11:50 am
did you expect arkansas to go from a piss poor bball team a legitamate contender already?

in 5 years - yes

Heath has only been at Arkansas 4 years.
this is year 5 and they dont look like a legitimate contender for anything short of NIT.

HogSophist

this team will do well, and it is very young. Its tough to sign a lot of talent when you have a lot of young talent. This year will be good, bucknell watch out.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Buff

1998 31-45 L Michigan
1999 27-6 W Texas
2000 14-31 L UNLV???
2001 3-10 L Oklahoma
2003 27-14 W Missouri???
2004 no bowl
2005 no bowl

how many teams go to the basketballball NCAA tourney?  enlighten me.

kneedabreak

Hey look, this guy took someone elses team to the sweet 16 and that is his greatest accomplishment?!?!  This is why we hired him in the first place?!?!? He should have been gone the moment his team lost to Bucknell.  He should have been gone when Eric Ferguson got a DWI and never was punished.  He should have been gone when his team quit on him 2 years ago.  He is a nice guy, and would make a good coach at ASU or high school.  But we are used to winning here, and just making it to 20 wins and a first round loss in NCAA is not good enough.  North Carolina and Kansas switched coaches and kept on winning, why can't we.  In the 90's we were just as good as those programs.  Somebody please help me?!?!?!

Hillis4heisman

Bottom line  I like Stan...We couldnt buy a coach to come here worth his weight in gold after the crap Nolan left us with...No players  NONE...Yet he wanted the job and as a earlier poster said he has won more games each year than the year before...I actually get excited about B-ball recruiting again because I KNOW stan will try his best to get the kid and more times than not he does get him. We will struggle somewhat early but I assure you this team WILL come together and by conference play we will be salty....We have a true point guard now and that excites me.. Stan will fill the slot anderson had in the spring and the player will be a good one...Everything happens for a reason and Im sure the kid that we sign in the spring will make us all glad anderson and his coach went to okie st..Please just sit back and think about the last couple years of the nolan tenure and the pain it was on all of us during Stans first couple years...Im happy to have stan here and I have all the faith in him that he will fill andersons slot very nicely

Hillis4heisman

Three problems....

With the lack of talent except last year NO coach could have won a ncaa game  NONE

TRUHOG718

November 08, 2006, 03:57:43 pm #71 Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:04:14 pm by TRUHOG718
It is extremely important that he improves every year. I would have liked to improved quicker than the length it took Heath but give the guy a chance because if we improve from last year we will be a force this season. If we dont then that excuse is retired and it may be time to look elswhere for a coach.  It also is not fair to compare Heath's situation to UNC or Kansas because our program was left with a lot of excess baggage (fyi scandal, no good players, lawsuits,) that UNC and Kansas were not left with. If Heath came in with Reid, Bradley, and Hood on the roster and not produced a sweet 16 as of yet I would have called for his head years ago but that was not the case. Heath has not lived up to most of our expectations as Razorback fans but this is the year the excuses run out. If we don't at least make the tournament  this year I'll buy the first ticket to the Heath must go party but I truly believe we will be good this year.  As far as this Big Ten style I hate it (It's like watching my grandmother knit a sweater) but if we are winning it's easier to swallow. WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

razorpimp

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on November 08, 2006, 01:38:23 pm

1998 31-45 L Michigan
1999 27-6 W Texas
2000 14-31 L UNLV???
2001 3-10 L Oklahoma
2003 27-14 W Missouri???
2004 no bowl
2005 no bowl

how many teams go to the basketballball NCAA tourney?  enlighten me.

65 teams....correct.  But the Hogs only have a chance for 35 of them.  SEC Tourney champion and 34 at large bids.  But there is no magic number of victories to get in.

I believe there are 32 bowl games.......pretty much a wash.  And any SEC school with 6+ wins IS ALWAYS IN A BOWL!

hogerrific

Quote from: davis01 on November 08, 2006, 09:51:27 am
Wait and see if you can say that this year.
The fact is you can say it now. Good Grief!

davis01